DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 12-Year-Old Maryland Girl Has Not Aged In Years

Laser Movies
05-13-05, 02:27 PM
http://www.10news.com/health/4485525/detail.html?treets=sand&tid=2655009123813&tml=sand_health&tmi=sand_health_1_02150205132005&ts=H

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0513/4485694.jpg
Brooke Greenberg, 12, weighs 13 pounds and is 27 inches long.
But Brooke is actually 12 years old, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

12-Year-Old Maryland Girl Has Not Aged In Years

Syndrome Remains Undiagnosed

UPDATED: 8:15 am PDT May 13, 2005

BALTIMORE -- Imagine being frozen in time as a baby forever. It sounds impossible, but it describes Brooke Greenberg.

The Baltimore-area girl may look like a baby, but she's nearly a teenager. In most respects, Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby -- she weighs 13 pounds and she is 27 inches long.

Brooke doesn't age. Her syndrome remains undiagnosed and unnamed, and as far as doctors can tell, she is the only one in the world who has it.

Dr. Laurence Pakula has been Brooke's pediatrician since she was born.

"In height, weight, she's 6 to 12 months," Pakula said. "If you ask any physician who knows nothing about her, the response is that she is maybe a handicapped 2-year-old."

Doctors say Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

Her body may not be aging, but Brooke's health is deteriorating. She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.

The four times Brooke has come dangerously close to death, she bounced back and no one knows why.

Pakula points out that the girl has a strong sense of self and of sibling rivalry. Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

"When one sees how much she has accomplished, it's a wonderful reminder that even for someone who's limited, it's a wonderful world out there," Pakula said.

As genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching.

DarthVong
05-13-05, 02:29 PM
She is one of the Undead. I told Lestat that taking a newborn is against the code of Vampires...Oh, he will burn for this....

Seriously though, that is a sad story.

Numanoid
05-13-05, 02:30 PM
Sad and amazing.
She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.Their definition of "thriving" and mine apparently differ a great deal.

Red Dog
05-13-05, 02:33 PM
Very strange.

If they ever discover what causes it, I wonder if they could somehow turn it into a fountain of youth.

IDrinkMolson
05-13-05, 02:33 PM
Sad.

Sadder: 12 years of paying for diapers.

Brent L
05-13-05, 02:35 PM
We need to crack this mystery, then from that find a way to create puppies that never age, but remain in good health.

Jack's Smirking
05-13-05, 02:38 PM
http://www.tvtome.com/images/people/2/7/98-19725.jpg

"What do I have to do to get a syndrome named after me???"

sracer
05-13-05, 02:39 PM
It's an odd story. At first I was intrigued, then I was saddened. :(

Then I read that they discovered the following portrait of the girl in the attic:
http://www.ststp.com/Archives/Genealogy/Simmons/pictures/Case,-Minnie-Elizabeth-(3-old-woman%20).jpg

dave-o
05-13-05, 02:47 PM
I heard that Harlan Ellison is suing the family for intellectual property theft.

:D

("Jefty is Five", anyone? anyone?)

Breakfast with Girls
05-13-05, 03:17 PM
In most respects, Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby -- she weighs 13 pounds and she is 27 inches long.

Brooke Greenberg, 12, weighs 13 pounds and is 27 inches long.

But Brooke is actually 12 years old, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.That's some quality reporting.

Groucho
05-13-05, 03:22 PM
If you click the link, you'll see that middle sentence is actually a caption to the photo. Guess it got "swept up" in the cut and paste.

Mopower
05-13-05, 03:26 PM
That's some quality reporting.

I think they ment "Brooke Greenburg No. 12" but edited out the part about her parents conducting cloning experiments in their basement for the past 12 years.

Laser Movies
05-13-05, 03:30 PM
If you click the link, you'll see that middle sentence is actually a caption to the photo. Guess it got "swept up" in the cut and paste.

My mistake! I corrected it and moved the caption under the photo like the article has it.

woofman
05-13-05, 03:36 PM
That is crazy! Not aging? Straight out of a science fiction movie.

Poor girl :(

wmansir
05-13-05, 04:16 PM
As genetic research expands, scientists might be able to learn the secrets of this little girl. But until then, it is Brooke who is doing the teaching.

WTF does that even mean?

Brent L
05-13-05, 04:45 PM
I hear she travels from college to college giving lectures on the disorder.

Trigger
05-13-05, 04:45 PM
redundant much?Doctors say Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.

Pakula said Brooke has thrived because of the support of her parents and three sisters.
redundant much?

She is fed through a tube, and she's had strokes, seizures, ulcers, severe respiratory problems and a tumor the size of a lemon.
I vote to pull the tube.

Then I vote to donate vampire baby to science - maybe she's an endless supply of stem cells we could harvest.

The Bus
05-13-05, 04:48 PM
Oscar Wilde is clapping in his grave.

Annoyumous
05-13-05, 05:46 PM
Oscar Wilde is clapping in his grave.
And Oskar Matzerath is pounding on his tin drum.

DVD Polizei
05-13-05, 05:48 PM
Terri Hatcher and Meg Ryan have the faces and bodies of 12-yr olds. Well, that's what the plastic surgeons told them anyway.

Numanoid
05-13-05, 05:58 PM
And Oskar Matzerath is pounding on his tin drum.
5/5 :up:

Numanoid
05-13-05, 05:59 PM
Terri Hatcher and Meg Ryan have the faces and bodies of 12-yr olds. I believe Jeffrey Dahmer had the same thing.

What...too soon?

DVD Polizei
05-13-05, 06:02 PM
Jeffrey Dee ATE the bodies of 12-yr olds. There is a difference. :)

cliffzig
05-13-05, 06:13 PM
Serious question:
So when this girl reaches 18, and looks 2, would you hit it?
I mean, she's gonna be lonely and unsexed, because I don't think ANYONE would hit it!

Rockmjd23
05-13-05, 06:33 PM
Serious question:
So when this girl reaches 18, and looks 2, would you hit it?
I mean, she's gonna be lonely and unsexed, because I don't think ANYONE would hit it!

It might not be legal to have sex with her even when she turns 18 depending on the extent of her disability

cliffzig
05-13-05, 06:35 PM
Well, if she is going around giving lectures and stuff she is definitely mentally competent. Who is anyone but her to decide whether or not she should get some disabled lovin'?!

Rockmjd23
05-13-05, 06:43 PM
Well, if she is going around giving lectures and stuff she is definitely mentally competent. Who is anyone but her to decide whether or not she should get some disabled lovin'?!

Where in the article does it say she gives lectures? I'm not saying she doesn't, but from the article itself her mental state can't be determined.

cliffzig
05-13-05, 06:47 PM
Where in the article does it say she gives lectures? I'm not saying she doesn't, but from the article itself her mental state can't be determined.

I hear she travels from college to college giving lectures on the disorder.

Did BrentLumkin just make that up to be funny? It sounds plausible.

Rockmjd23
05-13-05, 07:01 PM

:lol: I dunno if he did or not.

skiblet
05-13-05, 07:11 PM
Actually , i have just recently decided that im not going to age either. I am going to hold at 29.

Whos with me ?

chowderhead
05-13-05, 07:25 PM

well, the article was culled from a television news report so it ain't exactly Science magazine material but from the report, her condition sounds clear.

"In most respects, Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby"
"In height, weight, she's 6 to 12 months," Pakula said. "If you ask any physician who knows nothing about her, the response is that she is maybe a handicapped 2-year-old."
Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

She basically has stopped developing. There is probably some serious chromosomal abnormalities i.e. hindering some major developmental genes.
Very sad but quite intriguing case. It is sometimes from these types of anomalous cases that breakthroughs in the understanding of human physiology, development, or diseases can occur. I searched for her name in pubmed and nothing has come up. Someone should be studying her case if true.

Edit to add - it may be that her name is shielded in the studies. I would imagine that someone is studying her case.

bwvanh114
05-13-05, 07:30 PM
"Jefty is Five", anyone? anyone?My radio broke. :(

cliffzig
05-13-05, 07:34 PM
ok, so she is not giving lectures

Rockmjd23
05-13-05, 08:30 PM
ok, so she is not giving lectures

yeah, and definitely not consenting to sex.

glassdragon
05-13-05, 08:41 PM
yeah i was going to say something but it has already been said i think. 13 lbs for a 6 year old is NOT average.

Trigger
05-13-05, 08:56 PM
Well...
Brooke looks and acts like your average 6-month-old baby
and
Brooke has no language skills, but she does have enough motor skills to pull herself up in her crib or scoot across the kitchen floor.

I got from those lines in the article that her brain is stunted as well... I figured that comment about her giving lectures was clearly a joke because the article said that "Brooke is the one doing the teaching"

Bacon
05-13-05, 09:02 PM
I swear this story has gotta be right out of a Dalvin thread

Trigger
05-13-05, 09:08 PM
Seriously - can we have a second or third source on this bullshit?

mllefoo
05-13-05, 09:11 PM
Actually , i have just recently decided that im not going to age either. I am going to hold at 29.

Whos with me ?
Jack Benny should sue you, except he's dead. Unfortunately, he died when he was 39 for the 40th time.

cmatherne
05-13-05, 09:33 PM
I'm sure somewhere a Michael jackson joke exists to go with this story. I haven't found it yet but I'll keep looking.

calhoun07
05-13-05, 09:44 PM
I'm sure somewhere a Michael jackson joke exists to go with this story. I haven't found it yet but I'll keep looking.

There isn't one, because this is about a girl. If it was about a 12 year old boy, yes, there would be a joke somewhere.

dave-o
05-13-05, 11:20 PM
My radio broke. :(

Jefty was the first thing I thought of when I saw this story...and at least I am not the only one who did.

Brent L
05-13-05, 11:44 PM

Oh my God. :brickwl2:

:p

cultshock
05-14-05, 12:21 AM

I've had teachers who couldn't do much more than that, so maybe she could give lectures.

tasha99
05-14-05, 12:55 AM
Jefty was the first thing I thought of when I saw this story...and at least I am not the only one who did.

:wave:

The Infidel
05-14-05, 11:06 AM
Any other link to that story? The original one no longer has the story.

Numanoid
05-14-05, 11:38 AM
Any other link to that story? The original one no longer has the story.I smell a hoax.

Laser Movies
05-14-05, 01:10 PM
I smell a hoax.

Weird they pulled the story after a day. I emailed the news editor of the web staff asking why the article disappeared so soon. If I get an answer I will post it.

Jazzbutcher
05-14-05, 05:27 PM
Sad.

Sadder: 12 years of changing diapers.

Fixed.