Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Get the NFL Sunday Ticket? Like HD games? Start saving up!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

"Early bird" prices are up. Next season the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV will cost $219 (a $20 increase). Not great, but not terrible.

BUT...

HD games will not be included. It will cost an additional $99 for the "SuperFan" package to get HD NFL ST.

So, who has $320 to spare? I could use a loan....

http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/
Old 05-13-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Boo fucking hoo. At least you have access, unlike those of us geographically challenged. I'd be willing to pay $500 for the package if I only had access.
Old 05-13-05, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Boo fucking hoo. At least you have access, unlike those of us geographically challenged. I'd be willing to pay $500 for the package if I only had access.

When I get what amounts to a $120 price increase from last season, I think I should be allowed to bitch a little.
Old 05-13-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bralph

When I get what amounts to a $120 price increase from last season, I think I should be allowed to bitch a little.

This is exactly what I predicted would happen when DirecTV paid out its nose to re-up the exclusive rights. They have to recoup that $3.5B over the next 5 years somehow. Less than $20/week is nothing anyhow. I don't shed a tear.
Old 05-13-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad I'm perfectly happy with the HD games I get OTA now.
Old 05-13-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great.... this sucks balls......(jumping out the window)
Old 05-13-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chew
I'm glad I'm perfectly happy with the HD games I get OTA now.

That's the one good thing about this year compared to the past. I bought an HDTV in January and I can now get the Baltimore digital locals OTA in addition to the Washington locals so I should get some more games.
Old 05-13-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I thought if you had it the previous year that the price would stay locked in.Is this not the case?If not,I will call immediately and cancel.I love watching all my Viking games but $320 is a bit rediculous.
Old 05-13-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've gotta be fucking kidding me. $200 last year almost lost me as a customer, even with all the HD games they showed, but $320 is way too over the top for me. So, it looks like this will be the first year since 1997 that I will not subscribe to the NFLST thru Directv.

I'll pull what games I can off OTA, thank you.
Old 05-13-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm liking the customer reaction I see here and elsewhere. Hopefully DirecTV takes a bath on this deal and sublets the property out to the cable companies.
Old 05-13-05, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I thought if you had it the previous year that the price would stay locked in.Is this not the case?If not,I will call immediately and cancel.
No price locking, sorry. Wonder what the non-early bird price will be?

Old 05-13-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Ouch - that's one hell of a jump.
Old 05-13-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Call and threaten to cancel. Tell them Comcast is offering $400 to switch, and the only reason you hadn't switched was because of Sunday Ticket. However, now that the price is so crazy, you can't afford Sunday Ticket anyway and are leaving. They'll do something, I'm sure.

das
Old 05-13-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
A little OT, but can you get DirectTV and ONLY get Sunday Ticket / Full Court / Extra Innings, etc? That's all I want.
Old 05-13-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Apparently several memebers of another forum have had luck calling up customer retention and bitching about the price increase and getting credit. It varied from $100 - $120 or so. If you are a longstanding customer, it might be worth trying it to call them and see what they can do.
Old 05-13-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm curious...are those who refuse to pay just casual football fans, or die-hard fans of specific teams?

It's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than season tickets--of which are only 8 games rather than 16. It's also cheaper than going to a Team Backers club/bar/restaurant and paying for parking plus food/drinks every single week.

I guess if you want it in HD, it's a lot, but compared to the alternatives......
Old 05-13-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I'm curious...are those who refuse to pay just casual football fans, or die-hard fans of specific teams?

It's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than season tickets--of which are only 8 games rather than 16. It's also cheaper than going to a Team Backers club/bar/restaurant and paying for parking plus food/drinks every single week.

I guess if you want it in HD, it's a lot, but compared to the alternatives......

Well presumably you would be talking, for example, about a Tampa fan who lives in the Tampa area so he wouldn't need ST in the first place. He can watch games OTA.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-13-05 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I should be glad now that the NFL let the Oilers die since they were the only reason I used to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. I would be choking at that price increase, as well.
Old 05-13-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The part that frosts my ass the most is that even if you pay for the "superfan" upgrade, you still will only be getting select games in HD every week, which were included with the basic Sunday Ticket package last year.

For 100 extra bucks, they really should have every game in HD, not just some. No way in hell I am gonna pony up the extra dough without being assured my team's (Dolphins) games are going to be in HD every week.

Oh well, at least I am in one of the top 12 markets, so I will be among the first to get the local HD channels by the fall. That takes a little of the sting out of this.
Old 05-13-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure what OTA means. But I was just talking about the fact that, while $220 and even $320 is a lot, it's not as much as another alternative to seeing the game. So, that's why I was curious if people who don't want to pay the prices are casual fans or actually die hard fans.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but like I said above, they have these things called, say, The Browns Backers or The Buffalo Bills Backers. They take place each Sunday at a restaurant where fans of teams gather to watch their games on sattellite each weekend. During the three hours of watching a Browns game or whatever team, fans eat, drink, and mingle during half time. So let's say instead of paying the $220 or $320 with HD via DirecTV, you'd rather go to these "Backers restaurants." Let's also say for the sake of argument that each game's tab for food for two people is $30.00 each game. During 16 weeks, that's at least $480.00. Then you aren't adding the cost of driving around/gas plus any possible parking garage you may need to pull into (maybe if located in the city).

That's why I was saying that, while expensive nontheless, it's still cheaper than any other alternative--unless you just don't want to watch NFL games.
Old 05-13-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure what OTA means. But I was just talking about the fact that, while $220 and even $320 is a lot, it's not as much as another alternative to seeing the game. So, that's why I was curious if people who don't want to pay the prices are casual fans or actually die hard fans.
OTA means 'Over the air'. A person with the option of going to the game could likely watch it on their local station rather than having to subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

It is cheaper than any alternative if you are set on watching an out-of-market game. There are many people I know, however, who live here in Dallas, are Cowboys fans and subscribe to the Sunday Ticket just to have the option of switching among games. With such a large increase, they might well think that luxury too expensive and not subscribe while still getting their team's games.

Last edited by BigDan; 05-13-05 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not sure if you are aware, but like I said above, they have these things called, say, The Browns Backers or The Buffalo Bills Backers. They take place each Sunday at a restaurant where fans of teams gather to watch their games on sattellite each weekend. During the three hours of watching a Browns game or whatever team, fans eat, drink, and mingle during half time. So let's say instead of paying the $220 or $320 with HD via DirecTV, you'd rather go to these "Backers restaurants." Let's also say for the sake of argument that each game's tab for food for two people is $30.00 each game. During 16 weeks, that's at least $480.00. Then you aren't adding the cost of driving around/gas plus any possible parking garage you may need to pull into (maybe if located in the city).

That's why I was saying that, while expensive nontheless, it's still cheaper than any other alternative--unless you just don't want to watch NFL games.

OTA = over the air television. A Bills fan living the Buffalo gets the games free on regular OTA TV. No need for ST. That's what I was commenting on in reference to your cost comparison btwn ST and attending games (which only local fans can do).

Yes, of course, your bar outing would cost more over the long run.

I think out-of-market fans are but one segment of ST buyers. There are also the fantasy football players, gamblers, and simple league-wide fans.
Old 05-13-05, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And let us not forget, the Monday night game can only be seen on ESPN (if your local team is not playing), so now you HAVE to have cable/sat.

SUX
Old 05-13-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i call major shenanigans on DTV. a standard price increase doesn't bother me, that is to be expected. but and extra $100 for HD games?!?! that sucks major donkey balls. i will have to call and see what i can find out about maybe getting a credit. yeah, it probably won't work but who knows, maybe i'll get lucky. if not, then i probably won't be getting HD games.
Old 05-14-05, 12:58 AM

F that.. main reason I went back to cable! I will deal with 2-5 HD games a week between FOX-HD/CBS-HD/ABC-HD and ESPN-HD !! Not paying a premium for OTA signals. If they left the cameras on at the stadiums and dumped the commercials, maybe... I think the sat companies are gonna be in trouble in the next few years with so much bandwidth opening up on a Cable line...my Digital Cable is better now than when I tried it 6 years ago...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.