Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD blurb (09.13.05)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from mtv.com

Aliens Cook, Malkovich Sings In 'Deleted' Scenes On 'Hitchhiker's Guide' DVD
Film's creators shot fake scenes alongside real ones with the DVD in mind.

John Malkovich as Humma Kavula in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

We've come to expect loads of extra features on the DVDs we buy — deleted scenes, expanded scenes, alternate scenes — but have you ever found fake scenes? You will on the DVD for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," whose creators planned for its eventual demise at the box office by filming fake "deleted" scenes alongside the real ones to give the home version of the movie a longer life.

With a sort of anti-"Star Wars" ethos in mind, the producers, writers and director made sure none of this bonus "Hitchhiker's" material took itself too seriously. "We are the exact opposite," screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick said. "This comes at you from a place you're not expecting. It's fresh, it's original."

"We shot a lot of stuff for the DVD, like, 'Now we're doing a DVD
moment,' " producer Nick Goldsmith said. "Extras and deleted scenes are such a big thing now, but most of those are deleted for a reason."

"Of course they're deleted, they're awful!" director Garth Jennings laughed. "But ours were never going to be in the movie."

Some of the fake scenes almost seem real because they were suggested by the book, such as when a Vogon soldier is about to throw the last surviving human, Arthur Dent (played by Martin Freeman), and his alien friend Ford Prefect (played by Mos Def) off his spaceship. In the book, Dent and Prefect desperately try to change the mind of the rather mindless soldier, who isn't exactly keen on killing them but feels bound to their duties. But the theatrically released movie never reveals that hilarious conversation and never intended to — you'll only see it on the DVD.

Another alien race, the Dentrassis, play a very small part in the book, as the chefs employed on the Vogon ship who love nothing more than to irritate their hosts. They were excised from the movie entirely, but on the DVD they'll get their own TV show: a cooking program. "It doesn't drive the story along, so they're not in the movie," Goldsmith said. "But that's something for the DVD, though we haven't done that one just yet."

Already in the can are scenes depicting an evil version of one supporting character, Slartibartfast (played by Bill Nighy), who is actually kind to Dent in the theatrical release. John Malkovich's character, religious leader Humma Kavula, whose flock worships the coming of the Great White Handkerchief, also got to show a different side of himself — by singing. "We recorded this thing where John sang this whole hymn about blowing your nose," Jennings said. "He sang it with real gusto. It was quite bizarre."

In addition to the fake scenes, the filmmakers commissioned Grant Gee (who helmed the Radiohead documentary "Meeting People Is Easy") to film a making-of piece for the DVD. Gee followed the actual film coming out of the camera, going to the lab, coming back out the next day, going through the rushes and being cut. "It's just little things like that which you don't normally see and that we didn't even see," Jennings said. "It's a weird little film, and hopefully it'll get a release of its own. It would be a shame not to."

For an in-depth feature on the movie, check out "Don't Panic!"

Check out everything we've got on "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Visit Movies on MTV.com for more from Hollywood, including news, interviews, trailers and more.

— Jennifer Vineyard
Old 05-13-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or maybe the deleted scenes are just REALLY BAD and they're claiming they are fake deleted scenes? Meh... I loved this movie and can't wait to see the DVD... I look forward to that conversation with the Vogon taking Arthur and Ford to the airlock. Very funny conversation in the book.
Old 05-13-05, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the best DVD news I've read all day. Can't wait for it!
Old 05-13-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same here!
Old 05-13-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I hope they put a really nice package together for this flick. Maybe a Limited Edition Numbered Towel Edition
Old 05-13-05, 07:02 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It better comes with a hitchhiker's guide, like the one in the movie
Old 05-13-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant wait to get the DVD. While Im still a major fan of the radio and tv show more, I cant pass up on more Hitchhiker stuff. I hope it has at least some decent features like an interactive Guide that you can look through and learn more about the aliens, ppl, etc. Anything more with Stephen Fry is a major thumbs up in my book. he was PERFECT! It would be cool to see the DVD shaped like the guide too, maybe a nice digipak w/ artwork inside and out?
Old 05-13-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Quezacotl02
That's the best DVD news I've read all day. Can't wait for it!
Me too. A really great DVD of this is going to make me very happy indeed.
Old 05-14-05, 12:30 PM

I just hope they include some more guide entries.
Old 05-14-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder if it'll come out by the end of July in time for my 42nd birthday?
Old 05-14-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen the movie yet but will probably get the DVD (I have the BBC TV series and the 4 books) Looking forward to it!
Old 05-14-05, 02:07 PM

I'm hoping for an extended version with some of the material put back into the movie. But either way this flick's being added to my DVD collection.
Old 05-14-05, 06:19 PM

I wonder what would sell more Star wars or this? I'd say this as i dont like starwars plus Martin Freeman's in it
Old 05-14-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by loftry2005
I wonder what would sell more Star wars or this? I'd say this as i dont like starwars plus Martin Freeman's in it
I'll take that bet....any amount of cash....however i now fear that this thread will now turn into a Star Wars Vs. every other movie thread...
Old 05-14-05, 06:27 PM

Sorry I just thought it might be a good debate
Old 05-15-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Came across Zaphod Beeblebrox for President which looks to be a nice extra on the DVD. (It's better be there!)
Old 05-15-05, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loftry2005
Yeah, I don't like starwars either, but Star Wars I really dig. Being that Hitchhiker's Guide is more of a Brit thing, I doubt it'll have that big of a fan base here in the States compared to Star Wars.
Old 05-15-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Star Wars is just bigger, no question, but don't doubt the US fandom of Hitchhikers. There's plenty of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's plenty of overlap between the two.

I just saw it today with my wife, her aunt and cousin, that's four of us right here in a smallish family area.

Great flick BTW, not even close to being a faithful adaptation, but more like somebody having a great time in Douglas' sandbox.
Old 05-16-05, 04:57 AM

Over the years I've grown tired of most "deleted scenes" featured on most DVDs, especially when you actually get something like 40 minutes worth of extended scenes that are dull, dull, dull. But this sounds fantastic- and not only because I loved the film (and of course the books(s) since I was a wee lass) but also since these sound very entertaining and fresh. Really, the more Hitchhiker there is, the happier I be.

Thank you for posting the article, Cameron! Now I'm that much more impatient to own this movie...
Old 06-13-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mao just reported a street date of 09.13.05
Old 06-13-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
There's no way this will outsell Star Wars. Sorry. I'd even say Star Wars will sell 5x to 10x as much as this movie.

What they should do is number all the editions (like the Anchor Bay tins) and make them all 42/1000.
Old 06-14-05, 08:43 AM

I'll be all over this DVD on release week. I boycotted theaters years ago, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.

Originally Posted by Cameron
from mtv.com
Visit Movies on MTV.com for more from Hollywood, including news, interviews, trailers and more.
However...No, I will NOT eat the cat poop!

-AC
Old 06-23-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From DVD Answers:

"Further Details
Touchstone Home Entertainment has kindly sent over artwork for The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy which stars Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, Alan Rickman, Helen Mirren and Bill Nighy. Based On the book By Douglas Adams, this new film will be available to own from the 13th September this year. The retail price will be set at around $29.99. I'm afraid we have no word on extra material at the moment, but we'll bring you the full details shortly."

They also have cover art available there.
Old 06-23-05, 01:12 PM

I just hope they include some more guide entries.

Seriously, The movie didn't even mention the importance of the towel.

Last edited by ceeece; 06-23-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From DVD Answers:

"Touchstone Home Entertainment has kindly sent over artwork for The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy which stars Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, Alan Rickman, Helen Mirren and Bill Nighy. Based On the book By Douglas Adams, this new film will be available to own from the 13th September this year. The retail price will be set at around $29.99. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with THX-certified English DTS 5.1, and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras will include a commentary by Executive Producer Robbie Stamp and Douglas Adams colleague Sean Solle, a second commentary by Director Garth Jennings, Producer Nick Goldsmith and Actors Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy, a making of documentary, an extra entry from the "Guidebook" seen in the film, deleted scenes, fake deleted scenes, a "So Long & Thanks For All The Fish" sing along, and a Hangman word game, using the lovably depressed Marvin the Robot as the hangman."

Sounds good to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.