Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

News regarding future "Nickelodeon: Rewind Collection" releases!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ycdtotv.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11

Josh Yawn, who filmed the "You Can't Do That On Television" reunion episode (Project 131) last year:

Hi, I think you're referring to me. Yes, I do know everything there is to know regarding YCDTOTV on the Rewind Collection. It's been discussed back and forth. Nickelodeon knows that this is a hot entity with a big following. In fact, a friend of mine at Nickelodeon had me bring her some of the SlimeCon/Project 131 stuff when I went out to visit the studios a couple of months ago.

Nickelodeon isn't nearly as blind and ignorant as everyone claims they are, but the fact is, kids programming is different than adult in that every 10 years or so you have a new flock of kids watching the network, and the previous group grows out of the shows. A few hang on to them, like us, but for the most part they have to redevelop programming to compete with the others.

When Nickelodeon reran the old shows for their 25th anniversary, they had to pull the idea QUICKLY because no one was watching the shows -- they didn't remember them, and for the most part, weren't even born yet when they were on!! In the early days of Nickelodeon, there was no Cartoon Network, no Fox Kids, no Disney, nothing. They were setting the bar, and could afford to take chances. But because Nickelodeon is by far no longer a novelty, they can't take the chances they once could. I was shocked they even did the All That reunion (by the way, for anyone who has seen Project 131, didn't the ending of the All That reunion look shockingly familiar?) which was nothing short of brilliant.

But, to bring this back around to the point, while there are quite a few airheads at Nick, for the most part, they recognize their roots when there is possiblity for benefit. But, as more time passes, chances for benefit become slimmer and slimmer. However, they realize that putting these shows on DVD is a great outlet to serving the demand of people our age wanting to see them again. The downside is that they realize because of this, they never have to air them again. They do keep up with what's on the internet and do research into which shows have the biggest following today. It matters very little how popular they were THEN, but how popular they are NOW. I know that Salute Your Shorts, YCDTOTV, old episodes of All That, and Hey Dude are ones they are looking at now. But unless the sales of Clarissa and Pete and Pete are good, they'll be reluctant to try others, so make sure you show your support. I got advance copies of both and can tell you they're WELL worth the money. Remember, they come out on Tuesday.

While I can't publicly post the details of YCDTOTV on the Rewind Collection, that's about the jist of it. Hope this clarifies some things for everyone.

Josh
Old 05-13-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If Nick is serious about producing discs of their classic shows, why aren't there reviews of the upcoming Pete-n-Pete set to get the word out? The only thing I've heard is from a dubious source that claimed the quality of the set is worse than VHS.
Old 05-13-05, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
If Nick is serious about producing discs of their classic shows, why aren't there reviews of the upcoming Pete-n-Pete set to get the word out? The only thing I've heard is from a dubious source that claimed the quality of the set is worse than VHS.
http://www.dvdfanatic.com/news.php?id=0505076
Old 05-13-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, but that "review" describes the show, not the DVD.
Old 05-14-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read the DVDTalk review of the Clarissa disc. Not a very glowing review on the quality of the release. Given this review and the IGN review of the Pete-n-Pete disc, it puts Josh Yawn's comments in a different light.
But unless the sales of Clarissa and Pete and Pete are good, they'll be reluctant to try others, so make sure you show your support. I got advance copies of both and can tell you they're WELL worth the money.
Here's the translation of that quote, "Yeah, Clarissa and Pete discs are crap, but if you ever hope to see other shows like Roundhouse, Salute Your Shorts, or Hey Dude, then you better make sure that you buy these! There's no guarantee that if you DO buy them that those others will be released, but it is a certainty that if you DON'T then they WON'T."

Talk about cynical! Put any hunk-o-junk release out. If they sell well, great they made money with minimal/no effort. If they don't sell well, then they have an excuse for not doing any more of the classic shows.