Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

A new Prince Of Persia game on the horizon

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
A new Prince Of Persia game on the horizon

The following has slight spoilers regarding the ending(s) of Warrior WIthin.

Spoiler:
The Prince of Persia, a seasoned warrior, returns from the Island of Time to Babylon with his love Kaileena. Instead of the peace that he longs for, he finds his homeland ravaged by war and the kingdom turned against him.

The Prince is rapidly captured and Kaileena has no choice but to sacrifice herself and unleash the Sands of Time in order to save him. Now cast to the streets and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him…
http://www.princeofpersiagame.com

Although I hoped for a return to the whimsical nature of The Sands Of Time, the setup sounds promising as it reminds me of the gameplay of Prince of Persia 2. Then again, I fear it may be dismissed as a Devil May Cry clone given the dark tone this series has adopted and the fact that I assume you'll be able to turn into the Dark Prince at will.
Old 05-10-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dark Prince. I guess Warrior Extreme wasn't enough.

"I burn with generic rage!"
Old 05-10-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Why does every hero have to be dark? I liked the prince from the first game.
Old 05-10-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why does every hero have to be dark? I liked the prince from the first game.
To appease the pre-teen/teenage boy market.
Old 05-10-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, PixyJunket is 100% right. To be honest, I woudn't be too bummed about the dark tone if there were lighter moments to balance it out. Let's face it, the setting of The Sands Of Time was not something out of The Smurfs but the Prince was so gosh darn likeable that the game didn't feel bleak and was fun because of it. Maybe after Jordan Mechner finishes working on the film (what ever happened to that?) he'll come back and set things straight in the next game.

That said, if the gameplay is still fun, I'll be able to look past the darker tone the series has adopted.
Old 05-10-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and here are some pics (concept art, really):
http://www.hrej.cz/prince_of_persia_...des/?p=gallery

And some magazine article:

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-10-05 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 08:53 PM
Retired

Big surprise.

This is another series their going to milk every year with no real innovation other than making it more "extreme."

It's no wonder the gaming industry is so stagnant these days.
Old 05-10-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, the "extreme" angle ensured that Warrior Within sold better than The Sands Of Time. I don't mind the extra action but I'd like some middle ground. Hopefully, the gameplay will be solid and make up for the unfortunate turn this series is taking.
Old 05-10-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wish it was beyond good and evil. now there's an ubisoft game deserving of a sequel . this one looks....dark.
Old 05-10-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, as far as I understand it, Beyond Good & Evil did very poorly and we will never see a sequel to that.

Which is okay, I guess, because we may have been stuck with Beyond Good & Evil: Paparazzi Within. You know, to make the game more "hardcore".
Old 05-11-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Which is okay, I guess, because we may have been stuck with Beyond Good & Evil: Paparazzi Within.
Old 05-11-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is known that I'm not really a fan of Penny Arcade, but I did steal the "generic rage" line from them (and may have to use that on the new Zelda Extreme) and their write-ups on Warrior Extreme are pretty spot on. Looking over this again, as much as I don't care for their comics, I really enjoy reading their writings on games and the gaming "industry." What I've bolded in the second quote directly reflects my fear of God in a certain company's potential fucking of a much loved 20 year-old franchise later this year. *shudder*

The Prince is back, apparently from rehab. He is beset on all sides by improbably garbed whores. The good news is that game we liked is in there, but it's underneath a bunch of crap I ordinarily wouldn't touch without gloves.

Brenna refused to believe it when I told her that the plot revolves around the Empress of Time, who lives on the Island of Time where the Sands (all together now) OF TIME were created. All the same, that's the kind of situation we're talking about. Jesus Christ, people. Just call the island fucking Chronos or something. Spell it with a K if you have to. I can figure out that there's some kind of time thing going on.

I don't have a problem at some default level with the thematic change, my aversion to the new palette (visually or conceptually) isn't automatic. They just want it too bad. What's more, I think they're confused about what kind of personality they want the prince to embody. The PC demo you can download has another voice take for the game's introduction, which painted him as more "desperate" and less "x-treme." I preferred it. It's hard to prefer this Prince in a general sense, though, because (as Eurogamer put it) he's just not likable. The wry voiceovers and endearing progression of The Sands Of Time's rude royal son charmed me completely. I oversaw his redemption in the first game, apparently so they could take what I had done and negate it.

They've got these Raider guys that are essentially the Cannon Fodder of Time, jackhole pincushions there explicitly for you to puncture. They're mean or whatever, but they don't turn into crows or explode which makes them fairly mundane by Warrior Within standards. The problem with these guys is their voices, which are hilarious, and not grim. You can't feel tough when you cut these guys. Halo has those little grunts, and I guess I'm supposed to feel like a bad-ass when I destroy them but I actually just feel like an asshole. They both seem like races that just fell in with the wrong crowd. What they need are compelling after school activities, not death.

There's a new combat system now, but there's also way more combat, and it takes place all over, so whether or not it actually ceased being repetitive I couldn't tell you. Just as in the first one, I traverse the combat oriented areas so I can arrive at the next perfected, genre defining platform section. It is like getting a ordering a pizza and getting a free walrus. Even if the walrus were excellent, I mean truly exemplary, I'm really not in the market for it and it's not why I ordered the pizza.

I recognize that electronic entertainment is a business, but at its best you don't see the ravenous, mercantile hunger throbbing right in front of you. It's indecorous. You can go read the 8 and 9.0 reviews out there if you want to see it glossed over. Sometimes, when you play it, you remember how good the first game was.

(CW)TB out.
Prince of Persia 2 is a good game in spite of the fact that the developer tried to ruin it. It's like they did their best to burn the entire thing to the ground, but enough of the foundation remains that it's still recognizable. What that means is that the fundamentals of the first game are so good they can withstand being covered in layers of disgusting music, hack writing and monotonous combat.

The clever, quick witted prince with the heart of gold has been removed. In his place is a cookie cutter brooding tough guy with zero personality and a handful of poorly written and often repeated one liners. I remember the comic book industry went through a similar phase in the early nineties. The success of books like Spawn lead publishers to believe that kids wanted dark anti-heroes. This lead to the creation of some of the worst comic book characters in the history of the world. Not only that but existing characters where retooled to be darker and more mysterious. For God's sake they gave Super Man a black suit and I think for a few years Captain America's shield drank human blood. Darker isn't always better, especially when you've already got a character that people love.

The Prince isn't the only character who will ceaselessly bombard you with shitty dialogue. No, you can expect the same treatment from just about every poorly conceived enemy you encounter. The "Balde Dancers" apparently quit their jobs as phone sex operators but can't quite give up the lingo. They'll comment on how they "like you in this position" or how much "pleasure there is in pain". I've actually had to mute my television during some battles just to keep from throwing my chair through it. The best line is probably from the Time Bitch who appears in today's comic strip. During her fights she says "I grow tired of this!" I actually responded out loud to her on multiple occasions, "Yeah, me too lady!"

I guess people complained about the combat in the first game not being deep enough. They even said the final boss was too easy. These people didn't understand the game. Your enemy in the first game was the environment. You were battling against puzzles not monsters. The actual combat was there as a breather to give you a rest between puzzles. The final boss wasn't even the vizier it was navigating the last level without your sword. The level was the boss, not the guy at the end. So now they've beefed up the combat and they make you fight all the time. So they listened to the people who didn't like their game and totally fucked those of us who loved it. Thanks Ubi, you know a lot of people really hate all the sneaking around in Splinter Cell. Why don't you give Sam a dual Uzis and a rocket launcher?

The game is still a good platformer despite Ubi's best efforts to destroy it. It's just sad to see a game that had so much potential ruined like this. My only hope is that since the series deals with time lines we haven't seen the end of the Prince from Sands of Time. I'm not finished with Warrior Within yet but I'm praying that as the story implies he'll die at the end.

-Gabe out
Old 05-11-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those seem like some solid reviews. Glad I didn't pick up 2 when it first came out. I loved the first, and the review is right, it wasn't about the battles, the game was all about the puzzles.

Shame on Ubi. I still might check it out when it hits the $10-$15 price point, but until then I will cherish the first game. Definitely one of my top 5 games on the Xbox.
Old 05-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid review of PoP2?

the puzzles sucked. why? b/c they were too easy. and the whole game was too linear. i've stated before that just b/c you need to swing from point A to point B does not make it a good game. the biggest challenge was mastering jumping/bouncing from walls to get up a big chimney. is that supposed to be fun?

and yes, the combat was pretty repetitive after you learned a couple of moves.

imo, that 2nd review comes off as being more condescending than good.

--
beyond good and evil is leaps and bounds () better than PoP2. never felt as contrived s PoP2.
Old 05-11-05, 12:09 PM
Retired

BG&E was great, I don't think it's slightly over-rated though.

It was too short for that type of adventure game, and the combat was way to limited with just the staff and the things you could shoot from the camera or whatever. Not much variety in enemies either.

Still, a very good game, but it did feel a little like Zelda-lite to me with similar gameplay but no variety in weapons, items, etc.
Old 05-11-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, those reviews are spot on regarding everything that's wrong with Warrior Within. This is why I'm holding out for a price drop. I may have to do the same with this latest instalment.

The sad part is that their change in focus really boosted sales so I think we've seen the last of the fun loving prince.

The same thing happened in Jak II EXTREME! It went from a very endearing series to some angst filled GTA clone (and bad one). Fortunately, the actual platforming makes up for this and there are plenty of levels that harken back to the first game but you have to trudge through unecessary "attitude" in order to get to those moments. I hear Jak 3 is not so "extreme" but I'm still waiting for the price to drop a bit more before I get it.
Old 05-11-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by young
solid review of PoP2?

the puzzles sucked. why? b/c they were too easy. and the whole game was too linear. i've stated before that just b/c you need to swing from point A to point B does not make it a good game. the biggest challenge was mastering jumping/bouncing from walls to get up a big chimney. is that supposed to be fun?

beyond good and evil is leaps and bounds () better than PoP2. never felt as contrived s PoP2.
But that is what the first game was all about, getting from point A to point B in a room. Figuring out the best method. The first game was very linear, why a gripe about that for the second one? Expecting GTA: The Warrior Within?

This was the most spot on review of the first game I have read:
I guess people complained about the combat in the first game not being deep enough. They even said the final boss was too easy. These people didn't understand the game. Your enemy in the first game was the environment. You were battling against puzzles not monsters. The actual combat was there as a breather to give you a rest between puzzles. The final boss wasn't even the vizier it was navigating the last level without your sword. The level was the boss, not the guy at the end. So now they've beefed up the combat and they make you fight all the time.
Coincidentally BG&E would also be in my top 5 for the box.