Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Amazing Race 7 --2 hrs Season Finale--05/10/05

LorenzoL
05-09-05, 11:01 PM
"5 Continents, 25 Cities and More Than 40,000 Miles!"
The final three teams race to the finish line.

Producer(s): Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Hayma Screech Washington.

Original Airdate: May 10, 2005.

http://img101.echo.cx/img101/9946/uchenna5ar.jpg

http://img52.echo.cx/img52/3347/ron2mc.jpg

http://img101.echo.cx/img101/3227/rob4as.jpg

Elldubtoo
05-09-05, 11:16 PM
Rob and Amber win.

TheGodfather
05-10-05, 02:43 AM
Go Rombah!! Shove it up all the haters' asses!

movieking
05-10-05, 06:13 AM
Uchenna and Joyce all the way

B.A.
05-10-05, 06:56 AM
U/J

GuessWho
05-10-05, 07:43 AM
Go anybody-who's-not-ron-and-kelly!!!!

Groucho
05-10-05, 07:44 AM
Thanks to untagged spoilers, we all know how this one turns out! THANKS.

tommyp007
05-10-05, 07:49 AM
Go anybody-who's-not-ron-and-kelly!!!!

yep!

LorenzoL
05-10-05, 07:54 AM
Thanks to untagged spoilers, we all know how this one turns out! THANKS.

Your welcome Groucho.

Groucho
05-10-05, 07:57 AM
The final three teams race to the finish line.See, here's how you should have done it.

:mad:

taa455
05-10-05, 08:29 AM
The Baldies will win.

runner001
05-10-05, 08:45 AM
Uchenna & Joyce

Red Dog
05-10-05, 08:46 AM
Go Rombah!! Shove it up all the haters' asses!

:thumbsup:

Although I think the Baldies will win.

bedhead_75
05-10-05, 09:00 AM
Rob's looks...different in that pic for some reason.

mookiemeister
05-10-05, 09:23 AM
Rob and Amber is the strongest team, so I'm voting for them to win the race. On the other hand, there are outside sources that strongly indicates that Uchenna and Joyce win the race. So U&J will be my alternate pick for the winner.

aktick
05-10-05, 09:43 AM
Rob and Amber is the strongest team, so I'm voting for them to win the race. On the other hand, there are outside sources that strongly indicates that Uchenna and Joyce win the race. So U&J will be my alternate pick for the winner.
And if neither of those teams wins, you like Ron and Kelly's chances? :p

mookiemeister
05-10-05, 10:35 AM
And if neither of those teams wins, you like Ron and Kelly's chances? :p

You must be reading my mind! I was going to follow my post with my 2nd alternate pick of Ron and Kelly. This way I'm all covered and can claim I picked the winner no matter what the outcome is. :D

devilshalo
05-10-05, 11:50 AM
Shouldn't it read...

http://img252.echo.cx/img252/5706/ron2mc8tu.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

;)

Damn, Boston Rob looks like Affleck in that pic. :lol:

Spanky BananaPants
05-10-05, 11:54 AM
As much as I like Romber, my vote is for Uchenna & Joyce to win. Ron & Kelly will probably come in a distant 3rd.

BDB
05-10-05, 11:55 AM
I don't care as long as its not ron or kelly

bedhead_75
05-10-05, 12:12 PM
Damn, Boston Rob looks like Affleck in that pic. :lol:

ah ha! that's it- he's got some kind of gel/ putty thing going on with his hair. Where's the BoSox cap?

madara
05-10-05, 12:37 PM
7 or 8 central time?

QuikSilver
05-10-05, 02:01 PM
Really hope that Uchenna and Joyce win.

LorenzoL
05-10-05, 02:10 PM
7 or 8 central time?

It's 9 pm EST so I believe that will be 8 pm Central time.

Fok
05-10-05, 02:13 PM
As long as Rob and Amber don't win I'll be happy.

movieking
05-10-05, 02:52 PM
49 votes and not one for Ron and Kelly

KappaSig1304
05-10-05, 03:35 PM
Actually, there's 1....

movieking
05-10-05, 03:40 PM
There is now. There wasn't when I posted

Gil Jawetz
05-10-05, 04:37 PM
Haven't watched this all season (or ever, really) because I have a standing Tuesday night activity but I have to DVR tonight to see how my boy Rob does.

treszoks
05-10-05, 04:42 PM
I predict whoever arrives first will win.

lucasorion
05-10-05, 04:57 PM
I'll be happy with R&A or U&J winning, and I'm just grateful that R&A have been around long enough to make every episode infinitely more entertaining. I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch every episode if it weren't for them, maybe even stopping after the two brothers got eliminated.

RKillgore
05-10-05, 06:45 PM
I expect the old couple will get eliminated.

Sorry, force of habit.

dolphinboy
05-10-05, 07:07 PM
I'm kind of mad that one poster spoiled it. Vegas doesn't get something like this wrong. CBS should look into this if U & J win tonight. It's not that I don't like them, I do, but they need to find a way to make sure this stuff doesn't get out. I'll still be hoping that Rob and Amber win, but they probably won't. Still, they've been the best racers and they've been targets from the beginning, so I think what they've already done is really impressive. And as was already mentioned, I think they've made this season one of the most compelling ever.

astrochimp
05-10-05, 07:22 PM
I wish people would keep certain info out of these threads,I really like discussing the show but i despise any spoiler now matter how small.I guess the only way to avoid them is to stay outta these kinda threads altogether which is a shame.

_tony_
05-10-05, 07:27 PM
i wish i hadn't come in here :(

dolphinboy
05-10-05, 07:33 PM
i wish i hadn't come in here :(

I probably should have avoided my feelings until after the show, but with post 15 still being unspoilerized and that poster being the one who spilled the beans last week, then apologized, only to bring up the same spoiler again in this thread, I thought it was already out there as an issue.

I'm sorry.

TheGodfather
05-10-05, 07:34 PM
Another mistake is to repeat the spoiler material, figuring we've all seen it already. Let's not repeat others' mistakes!!!

dolphinboy
05-10-05, 07:39 PM
Another mistake is to repeat the spoiler material, figuring we've all seen it already. Let's not repeat others' mistakes!!!

I'm totally not arguing and I fixed my brain fart. But my thought was not repeating it from last week's thread would have been the right thing and assumed because it was already in this very thread, that it was ok to discuss.

But it was still my mistake. Believe me, this is very depressing because this was going to be the best tv night of the year, with Veronica Mars also tonight, until we both felt pretty strong that the info from last week was correct.

KappaSig1304
05-10-05, 08:35 PM
Finally, Romber gets caught by the po-po!

runner001
05-10-05, 08:47 PM
If you spoilerize one team's probable win and then comment (unspoilerized) on another team's probable loss, that in itself is a spoiler.

you would have basically narrowed it down to the other two you didn't spoilerize.

runner001
05-10-05, 08:48 PM
on a separate note, i thought they used up all their predetermined nonelimination legs? did they just cheat the rules?

runner001
05-10-05, 08:50 PM
oh, and WTF is up with this no prize for anyone except when R&A come in first? that's total BS man!

astrochimp
05-10-05, 08:59 PM
Felt bad for Uchenna and Joyce when they had to beg for money and got none :( Uchenna has a great never give up attitude though :)

GuessWho
05-10-05, 09:00 PM
Felt bad for Uchenna and Joyce when they had to beg for money and got none :( Uchenna has a great never give up attitude though :)

Pretty sad. His speech reminded me of the beggars on the subway:

"My name Is David. Once, I was an addict, now I'm clean and asking for your donations..."

astrochimp
05-10-05, 09:08 PM
Tiger Woods has nothin to fear ;)

KappaSig1304
05-10-05, 09:11 PM
They miss the flight!!!!! Yeeahah!

kidindy
05-10-05, 09:27 PM
Can't believe Robmer screwed up like that on the road block.

astrochimp
05-10-05, 09:33 PM
Amber in those little black shorts :hump:

GuessWho
05-10-05, 09:33 PM
but regained 1st right after :)

tronmaster
05-10-05, 09:35 PM
I am going have to say Uchenna and Joyce, because the other teams can not win. But if karma has anything to do with this race as in TAR 6 which I really wanted Kris & Jon to win, Rob and Amber will win. :(

Crossing my fingers.

runner001
05-10-05, 09:36 PM
i swear, these ticket agents man! i certainly learned one thing if anything at all. don't trust the agents regarding flights!

KappaSig1304
05-10-05, 09:37 PM
Amber in those little black shorts :hump:

I second!

runner001
05-10-05, 09:41 PM
i went to the bathroom and come back to see U&J on the flight. how the heck did they make it on the flight?? i saw them close th gate!

astrochimp
05-10-05, 09:46 PM
They re-opened it for them.

astrochimp
05-10-05, 09:50 PM
Way to Go Uchenna and Joyce :)

Nabalab
05-10-05, 09:50 PM
Damn, this is stressful to watch...LOL! Freakin cabbie!

Sernov
05-10-05, 09:51 PM
Congrats U&J!

And wow, my hometown is the finish line!

Eplicon
05-10-05, 09:53 PM
Great dramatic finish!

GuessWho
05-10-05, 09:54 PM
wow... what an ending

astrochimp
05-10-05, 09:57 PM
Really enjoyed my 1st experience with TAR.Started cheering for Rob and Amber but along the way i ended up rooting for Uchenna and Joyce who were very cool people and besides Rob and Amber have already won alot anyway ;) I look forward to TAR #8 :)

JM
05-10-05, 09:57 PM
They re-opened it for them.

Very, very suspicious IMO. But, like the other "bunch up" spots, it made the race close, and that's what makes good TV I guess. Oh well, at least Uchenna and Joyce will be putting the money to good use in their quest to have children. Good luck to them!

_tony_
05-10-05, 10:01 PM
I call shennanigans on the re-openning of the flight. I mean COME ON...that never happens. I really have a hard time believing the producers didn't get involved somehow because the race would have been over at that point and there would have been no suspense at the finish. Oh well, I don't think they earned it but I guess U&J will put the money to good use.

mikeporter
05-10-05, 10:01 PM
The leaked info (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414503) was right again.

runner001
05-10-05, 10:02 PM
i agree. that's suspicious. what did they say that was so convincing for them to reopen a gate to a closed flight?

TruGator
05-10-05, 10:04 PM
The leaked info (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414503) was right again.

Yep, I read that spoiler when it was posted. Some people probably made a lot of money off that.

TruGator
05-10-05, 10:04 PM
i agree. that's suspicious. what did they say that was so convincing for them to reopen a gate to a closed flight?

The gate agent said "let me ask the pilot" and apparently he agreed.

tommyp007
05-10-05, 10:06 PM
It was really straight up of Uchenna and Joyce to stand there at the finish line and beg for the money to pay the cabbie. If it was Romber, you better believe the cabbie wouldn't have finished his first sentence about the fare by the time Rob took took off running for the finish line, yelling "Catch me if you can".

_tony_
05-10-05, 10:08 PM
Are they allowed to skip the fare or do the rules say they have to pay? I would bet they begged because they had to.

Dabaomb
05-10-05, 10:11 PM
A big congrats to Uchenna & Joyce. It's refreshing to see the nice guys finish first for a change :up:

Even moreso, I'm just glad that Rob didn't win. I can't stand that guy.

Bill Needle
05-10-05, 10:13 PM
I call shennanigans on the re-openning of the flight. I mean COME ON...that never happens. I really have a hard time believing the producers didn't get involved somehow because the race would have been over at that point and there would have been no suspense at the finish. Oh well, I don't think they earned it but I guess U&J will put the money to good use.
I fly all the time and have seen it happen only one other time. Ever. And that was due to very unusual weather and massive delays completely screwing with timetables. I have been told "No way, it can't be done" many times, even when the plane was just sitting there and not leaving the gate area.

Without that "good fortune," R&A's diligence would have earned them the easy win. Instead, U&J luck into a Spanish speaking cabbie in the final few minutes of the month-long race and win. The best racers overall (clearly R&A) didn't win, but U&J are very nice people and will certainly benefit much more from the win.

Timber
05-10-05, 10:13 PM
I'm sure they had to pay the cabbie before they could cross the finish line.

That whole plane thing was very suspect but the same thing happend in the last episode last season. They need a good finish and I think they manipulate things at the end to get that finish.

vegasbaby
05-10-05, 10:19 PM
Wow! Great ending. glad those 2 won. Rob, while adding a lot to the show, was too arrogant for my taste.

Shazam
Bleh. I once had a flight delayed just for me because I was super late. It happens.

BigDan
I think it's probably a little easier to get unusual things done when you've got a network camera crew with you even if the crew, producers, whatever don't get directly involved at all.

IamHydrogen1
05-10-05, 10:21 PM
Wow, I guess we all knew that reality TV was rigged, but who'd thunk CBS would be so transparent about it? Such a horrible ending to a fun season.

Clearly, the teams were forced to fly United. I'm sure that Rob's comment about "are you sure there are no flights on any other airlines?" was scripted. You wouldn't ask a United employee that question, you would go to the other airline counters. Obviously, since United is a sponser, the producers must have some control over the operations of the airline. This is the first time in air flight history has an airplane on its way to the runway went back to pick up passengers WHO DIDN'T EVEN HAVE RESERVATIONS.

Bad, bad, bad.

Bill Needle
05-10-05, 10:23 PM
Bleh. I once had a flight delayed just for me because I was super late. It happens.
Delayed, yes. That happens all the time. But the doors were closed and the plane about to taxi away and then they stopped everything and re-extended the jetway and unsealed the plane for you? That is highly, highly unusual.

Bill Needle
05-10-05, 10:26 PM
Wow, I guess we all knew that reality TV was rigged, but who'd thunk CBS would be so transparent about it? Such a horrible ending to a fun season...

...This is the first time in air flight history has an airplane on its way to the runway went back to pick up passengers WHO DIDN'T EVEN HAVE RESERVATIONS.

Bad, bad, bad.
That's right! I forgot they were only standby passengers to boot! This really smells.

_tony_
05-10-05, 10:33 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the plane thing was definitely "arranged" by the producers. This is the first time I've seen this show, does it always come to a very close ending between 2 or 3 teams?

briank
05-10-05, 10:37 PM
I also call shennanigans on the ending......

I really like Uchenna and Joyce and they'll use the money to good use, they are good people you can tell.

However, Rob and Amber deserved the win because of the flight situation.
They were crafty enough to find out about it and make it on time.
The flight was CLOSED, and actually pulled from the gate.

There is NO WAY, a counter attendant "calls" the pilot and then him say "sure, let me just back on up".
I guarantee there is more to that story...............
Either CBS got envolved, the whole plane was full of CBS shills and they already "arranged" the lets "close the gate, leave, back up, re-open" scenario or something......... There is no way CBS let Rob and Amber on that plane without Uchenna and Joyce on the same plane knowing it was pretty straight forward smooth sailing after that.

But, congrats Uchenna and Joyce, finishing first in a leg of the race finally paid off. (......the ONLY reason I was slightly rooting against them was due to the fact the Team Gay Duo was "praying" for them at the finish line).

LorenzoL
05-10-05, 10:38 PM
I'm glad that Uchenna and Joyce won. They handled themselves with class throughout the race and they had a "never give up" attitude which was very endearing. I don't know how close behind Rob and Amber were but begging for more money to pay the cabbie could have cost them the race but I give them a :up: for doing the right thing. I don't know if I would have done that if I were in their shoes.

However they were not the best racers...

That honour belonged to Rob and Amber (Rob for the most part). I hate to admit it but he brought a whole new level to this game which hasn't been seen in previous versions. It will be interesting to see if upcoming teams will try to use this type of strategy on future versions of the show.

Ron and Kelly, the less said about them, the better it is. Their interaction with each other was painful and it felt like watching a car accident, you knew it was wrong to stare but couldn't take your eyes off it. I hope that they are not together for their well beings.

LBCrazyFool
05-10-05, 10:53 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the plane thing was definitely "arranged" by the producers. This is the first time I've seen this show, does it always come to a very close ending between 2 or 3 teams?

I have been watching TAR the past few seasons and it has usually come down to 2 teams fighting to the finish, while the 3rd is behind.

Congrats to Uchenna and Joyce. It seems like they needed the money more than Rob and Amber. I was rooting for Rob and Amber just because Rob brought a whole new level to the game, as mentioned above. I am sure they are getting a nice paycheck for their wedding special in a few weeks, as well as specials to come... In the summer, Rob and Amber buy a house... And in the fall, Rob and Amber try to have a child... ;)

This has been my favorite reality show and the only one I really watch every week. Not sure what to think about the upcoming Family version of the Amazing Race...

Darq
05-10-05, 10:54 PM
I'm sure they had to pay the cabbie before they could cross the finish line.

Yep. I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that there's a TAR rule that says you can NOT break any laws. Running out on a cabbie would be breaking a law.

I'm also assuming that the producers fixed the rules this year to DISALLOW racers from giving IOU's out to be repaid after the race. (In order to avoid the situation that the winning team used from a previous season.)

Bill Needle
05-10-05, 10:59 PM
I don't know how close behind Rob and Amber were but begging for more money to pay the cabbie could have cost them the race but I give them a :up: for doing the right thing. I don't know if I would have done that if I were in their shoes.

Who's to say if R&A had come rolling up the street they wouldn't have dashed away then? As long as no one was showing up, they weren't losing anything.

Actually, as I think someone mentioned, I'm fairly certain they are required to settle, whether by payment or whatever else they can barter. After all, how would it look to see a bunch of CBS showpiece contestants ditching cabs and dining and dashing around the world for an hour each week?

That's why despite what the R&A bashers say, they would not even have been allowed to stiff the cabbie had they been in U&J's place, and nothing R&A did during the course of the race even hinted they would if they could. They pranked other racers within the confines of the race, but were never anything but respectful to anyone else they met.

Darq
05-10-05, 11:05 PM
----
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
Wow, I guess we all knew that reality TV was rigged, but who'd thunk CBS would be so transparent about it? Such a horrible ending to a fun season...

...This is the first time in air flight history has an airplane on its way to the runway went back to pick up passengers WHO DIDN'T EVEN HAVE RESERVATIONS.

Bad, bad, bad.
----
That's right! I forgot they were only standby passengers to boot! This really smells.
Yep. The more i think about this, the more I'm getting annoyed. "Let's ask the pilot to back up for STANDBY passengers!" Yeah -- RIGHT.

Pharoh
05-10-05, 11:05 PM
Another vote for shennanigans on the ending. Very disappointing, not that U&J won, but how they won. Hell, even the forced wait this late in the game was wrong, but the plane thing was way out of line. Oh well.

Schloob1
05-10-05, 11:10 PM
Thta thing with the flight I would say was definitely rigged, a boo to that, but of course it would of killed all suspense.

As to a previous post that mentioned about wondering if they had to take a specific airline the answer to that is no. Case in point was the last season when the final leg the one team asked AA I believe if this was the earliest flight to get to Chicago and they said yes, none earlier. The other team got on a United flight that got in about 20 minutes earlier. Hence different airlines and something that was discussed ad nauseum last season about how the ticket person would lie like that. My thought was that the agent was telling the truth in that there were no AA flights arriving earlier.

Back to this one, happy to see U&J win as they definitely will use this money for good purposes. Still think Rob was the best racer and just got bad luck in the very end. Thankfully Ron and Kelly had their great moment of misdirection
taking a left instead of right. They should not get married, but they so deserve each other.

BudSeriously
05-10-05, 11:12 PM
Ok, maybe a stupid question...but haven't contestants in the past begged for money during the manditory rest period? Is that a new rule or were U an J dumb for wasting great daylight hours at a plush resort to gather funds instead of trying to find money at 3am? Just asking....happy they won, exciting finish.

briank
05-10-05, 11:17 PM
Another vote for shennanigans on the ending. Very disappointing, not that U&J won, but how they won. Hell, even the forced wait this late in the game was wrong, but the plane thing was way out of line. Oh well.

Well the "forced wait", although disappointing, it was somewhat expected.

It's all in the editing, as any reality show really is.
I think CBS made it "look like good tv" with the plane backing up. But I think it back fired (atleast on a few of us). they should (and could have) made it look more straight arrow and both making it if they wanted to, and less like shennanigans.

I think CBS got exactly what they wanted.....Rob and Amber in 2nd place.
It would have raised "unfair" questions if they won both CBS shows Survivor and Amazing Race...and then the wedding special.
But this way they still had them for viewership EVERY LEG of the race.

I think the plane should have taken off as it would have done without CBS intervention (you know they were inovlved, with sponsorship and advertising the whole way) then they could have just edited the last leg of the race differently (such as showing more of Rob and Amber "lost" looking for the cigar shop).

I'm now looking forward to a story where some people are at an airport just after the gate closed and they are standing there without reservations, and throw a fit and claim "you had the plane turn around for Uchenna and Joyce, why not us and demand the attendant 'calls the pilot'"

Darq
05-10-05, 11:17 PM
Ok, maybe a stupid question...but haven't contestants in the past begged for money during the manditory rest period? Is that a new rule or were U an J dumb for wasting great daylight hours at a plush resort to gather funds instead of trying to find money at 3am? Just asking....happy they won, exciting finish.
Yep. It definitely seems like a new rule, as Phil made a point (each non-elim round) to mention that they had to START the leg with $0. I always thought that was unfair in the past to beg for money (basically continuing on with the race) while everyone else was on the 12 hour rest period.

BudSeriously
05-10-05, 11:20 PM
Yep. It definitely seems like a new rule, as Phil made a point (each non-elim round) to mention that they had to START the leg with $0. I always thought that was unfair in the past to beg for money (basically continuing on with the race) while everyone else was on the 12 hour rest period.
Thanks, need to learn to pay better attention. :)

Bill Needle
05-10-05, 11:21 PM
I think this was brought up in a previous leg, and it also appeared then that they had to wait until the next leg started (Team Geezer). Maybe the producers became pickier about the fact that the first clue after a non-elim states "one team begins the stage with no money" when in fact they would have a fistful of bills from begging during the rest period. I never understood why a team wouldn't constantly beg during the rest period if it is allowed. Money = power = advantage.

mgbfan
05-10-05, 11:55 PM
FIX - You know CBS was on the phone there. One team pulling in 1.5 hours ahead of the other two doesn't make good TV. At the VERY LEAST, somebody told U&J to go check the other counter (1 minute before, the were 100% satisfied with the tix they had, then suddenly they were sprinting).

I really enjoyed this season, but felt betrayed by the ending (even though I was rooting for U&J). It absolutly makes me question my desire to watch another season.

A few seasons ago, something similar happened on the final flight (I don't recall exactly what, but I remember that I raised an eyebrow). I'd forgotten that, but now ... now I'm pretty sure the fix was in.

mookiemeister
05-10-05, 11:57 PM
I also like how Uchenna&Joyce make sure the cab driver got his money before running for the finish line even though it could cost them the game. Shows what's more important to them and not screwing people at the expense of winning. :up:

JasonF
05-10-05, 11:59 PM
I really like Uchenna and Joyce and they'll use the money to good use, they are good people you can tell.

:( They're going to use the money on in vitro. Notwithstanding the fact that:

1) Uchenna said they've been having marital problems, and
2) They saw firsthand that there are kids who need good homes.

Screw them.

Bill Needle
05-11-05, 01:23 AM
I also like how Uchenna&Joyce make sure the cab driver got his money before running for the finish line even though it could cost them the game. Shows what's more important to them and not screwing people at the expense of winning. :up:
I like U&J too, but as it's been mentioned race rules apparently require them to take care of the cabbie. They would likely have been penalized had they not. And they did try to talk him into taking less money several times. So implying they were willing to dump a million bucks to take care of the cabbie might be a bit of a stretch. :)

Elldubtoo
05-11-05, 01:26 AM
CBS was hoping for a photo finish (figuring the King thing was easy to find) and that's why they let Uchenna and Joyce on that plane.

Patman
05-11-05, 01:30 AM
I'm going to have to give a :down: to how it ended given the "help" that U&J got to get on that flight to Miami.

Oh well, the other being the misfortune of getting a bum taxi driver (but I would have had the driver call into his taxi company to get directions, or stop and call information or chamber of commerce (something!) if they didn't know where the cigar shop was.

But I will give U&J props for never giving up, and always finding ways to move forward, even it got grim for them, having to beg for money.

mytzplyx
05-11-05, 01:47 AM
Is it just me or do others think Amber would make the perfect wife. The way she treats Rob is so nice. She doesn't yell and pick at him and stuff. She never loses it, and always gives her all. Man, i fell in love with her this show.

Elldubtoo
05-11-05, 01:54 AM
Is it just me or do others think Amber would make the perfect wife. The way she treats Rob is so nice. She doesn't yell and pick at him and stuff. She never loses it, and always gives her all. Man, i fell in love with her this show.

She's been my favorite reality show contestant since Survivor 2.

QuikSilver
05-11-05, 02:51 AM
I thank the lord that Uchenna and Joyce won. They truly deserve the win. Way to go. And what a great ending. I was on the edge of my seat.

Shannon Nutt
05-11-05, 04:41 AM
The previous posters are correct, and I'm glad to see the wool wasn't pulled over anyone's eyes. The Amazing Race people may not be picking the winner, but they certainly are manipulating events to keep the race close. The plane boarding the couple after the people-mover had been removed and the doors close was the most obvious...that NEVER happens, especially post 9/11, and even if you're a VIP. The flat tires, police stops and clueless cabbies were also pretty obvious manipulations.

Bottom line is if The Amazing Race staff hadn't manipulated the contest, Rob and Amber probably would have ran away with this thing.

astrochimp
05-11-05, 05:48 AM

Yep :)

Chew
05-11-05, 06:08 AM
Well, count me in as also disappointed in the "behind the scenes" stuff. It lessened my enjoyment of the episode quite a bit.

Having said that, congrats to the winners. :up:

movieking
05-11-05, 06:23 AM
We have to keep in mind that the flight that both teams got on was delayed, and no doubt CBS figured that it would have been left by the time the teams got there. The 30 minute or so delay really threw a wrench into the plans of CBS, so they equalized it. I think that based on the timings of the teams, etc, CBS figured that all three teams would make the 11:10 flight (or whatever time it was).

I am thrilled that Joyce and Uchenna won.

I expect Rob to hunt down the person who told him the cigar shop was on 27th street when it was really on 11th. That ultimately is why they lost.

U&C should have had enough sense to check to ensure that there were no other earlier flights. Have they learned nothing from past experiences?

Surprised that no one mentioned it, but did anyone else notice the brothers circa 1970 porn star moustaches? I cracked up whenever it panned to them. I kept thinking about Ron Burgundy.

movieking
05-11-05, 06:45 AM

As it was almost a week before your post when I first posted it ;)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413477

Chew
05-11-05, 07:12 AM
Here's a spoiler I remember reading waaay back before it was spoilerized:

In the other thread, somebody mentioned that Rob and Amber had been spotted racing in Toronto. Since the race begins and ends in North America, and since they've already left, that means the Toronto leg was near the end. So it looks like they make it to the top 4 at least.
Link (http://66.7.164.225/forum/showpost.php?p=5852321&postcount=183)

I guess they were in Toronto for something completely different then?

movieking
05-11-05, 07:22 AM
I think that I posted the original thread as well. If not, I read about it and confirmed it. It was being reported in the Canadian media that R&A were going to be on the Amazing Race weeks before I read it on this board (because they were seen in Toronto with crew I think). Maybe it was after the race and they were just doing PR. Who knows?

It was rumoured at that point that Toronto would be the next to last stop, as was Calgary a previous Race.

movieking
05-11-05, 07:24 AM
Found the thread that I posted in, but not my original thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406204

That thread deserves attention again if nothing more than the hot pictures of Amber.

Patman
05-11-05, 07:24 AM
Anyone noticed the look on Phil's face when he was asking Ron and Kelly what the status of their relationship was, and they told him they were not wanting the same things at the moment, it was a rather uncomfortable moment/topic for the otherwise joyous ocassion. Phil had to be thinking "Eek, I guess I shouldn't have asked that question just right now..."

dvdmovie1
05-11-05, 07:26 AM

Where do I get one of those "a" shirts?

Chew
05-11-05, 07:27 AM
Maybe the R&A Extra Special 2 Hour Sweeps Stunt Wedding Special was partly filmed in Toronto?

Patman
05-11-05, 07:31 AM
Amber's got a good temperment, and she rarely questioned Rob's lead on things. So, yes, she's compliant, and cool under pressure, knowing that Rob's already worrying for 2 people as it is, so she just coasted and stayed supportive, always looking at the long-range goals, but her intangibles were helpful for the team racing aspect. Also, it looked like she could read a map, unlike some of the racers this season. And she's still cute too.

Groucho
05-11-05, 07:33 AM
I guess I'm the only person here's who's not a conspiracy theorist. I don't think any element of the race was fixed.

LorenzoL
05-11-05, 07:38 AM

Why wouldn't you think she's the perfect wife since the way she appeared in this show is that she does whatever Rob tells her to do. Frankly she didn't bring anything to the team.

Groucho
05-11-05, 07:42 AM
Frankly she didn't bring anything to the team.I wouldn't say that. She did fine in all her challenges, with the exception of last night's diving debacle. At least she wasn't dead weight like Flo.

LorenzoL
05-11-05, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't say that. She did fine in all her challenges, with the exception of last night's diving debacle. At least she wasn't dead weight like Flo.

I agree with you that she did her challenges very well however in terms of decision making, she provided nothing. The incident that sticks out for me is the fast forward when R&A arrived after Ray and Deanna. Amber couldn't make up her mind whether to wait for them to fail the fast forward or to leave and do the roadblock.

Chew
05-11-05, 07:58 AM
I did read the whole thread, but I can't remember if anybody brought this up again: seems like the discussion last week about how Romber should've yielded Y&J over R&K turned out to be completely correct.

das Monkey
05-11-05, 08:16 AM
While not a conspiracy theorist and someone who was happy to see U&J win, I was none too pleased with this episode either. At nearly every stopped position, Rob and Amber had a massive lead, and yet they found no fewer than three ways to squash it, the last being the stunt at the airport. Whether it's willing producer manipulation or not, it's still a shitty way to end the race. Because of all the bunch-ups, the final leg was essentially determined by who had the most knowledgeable cabbie. Conspiracy or not, it really removed the whole "race" thing.

I say it every season, but the final legs of this race should be determined by heart and desire, not travel agents and cab rides.

das

Khalid
05-11-05, 08:26 AM
I call bullsh*t on the flight coming back on U and J, also. Remember, the teams parked their Mercedes' right outside a ticket office so I think CBS wanted them to get the tickets from that office to make sure all the teams made the same flight. It was only outside the office that R and A got the information on the other flight.

Next time CBS, should just mandate which flight they should catch so it doesn't seemed rigged. Sort of like saying on the clues "teams have the option of catching flight A or flight B."

I really enjoyed R and A but was turning on them in the later episodes just a bit because of Rob's unnecessary comments ("blind leading the blind," etc.). They definitely raced well.

Uchenna and Joyce just won me over so I was glad they won it. They are great partners for each other.

Ron and Kelly, what is there left to add? I rolled my eyes when he said something like, "ah, the smell of a third world country," in Jamaica. Ah, the smell of a third place finish.

TruGator
05-11-05, 08:27 AM
I say it every season, but the final legs of this race should be determined by heart and desire, not travel agents and cab rides.

Yep, it leaves a lot of the race up to "OK, who's gonna be the lucky one today," and when that occurs on the final leg, you have a winner.

mugwump
05-11-05, 08:30 AM
Are they allowed to skip the fare or do the rules say they have to pay? I would bet they begged because they had to.

Well they're forever stiffing the cabbies in third world countries so I don't think that paying the cab fare in full is a strict rule. I recall Kendra's whipping boy from the last race refusing to pay a cabbie in Africa and then there was that other uptight dude from the previous race who almost got arrested for refusing to pay his cab fare to the airport in Africa yet again.

Anyhow, I thought the ending of this race was the lamest yet. You go through all of that travel to have it come down to which team can make the earlier flight. On top of that, there were no real challenges in Florida that would have allowed other teams to catch up. Searching for a cigar shack doesn't count as a challenge -- although Rob would likely beg to differ.

If it wasn't for the interplay of the teammates I would have given up on this show long ago as the race itself is pretty weak.

Khalid
05-11-05, 08:32 AM

Screw them.

Hey JasonF don't hate on U and J.

1) Uchenna said that the race brought them closer together. All the evidence points to a healthy relationship. I don't remember them yelling at each other or being unsupportive to each other or other teams.

2) at the finish mat, they said they would try in vitro, and if that didn't work, they'd adopt.

GuessWho
05-11-05, 08:39 AM
Amber in those little black shorts :hump:http://img260.echo.cx/img260/8403/amber4uv.jpg

mookiemeister
05-11-05, 08:45 AM
I agree with you that she did her challenges very well however in terms of decision making, she provided nothing. The incident that sticks out for me is the fast forward when R&A arrived after Ray and Deanna. Amber couldn't make up her mind whether to wait for them to fail the fast forward or to leave and do the roadblock.

Sure. Amber may have some problem making decision in those tough situations. Who wouldn't? I think the point is that Amber performs well in challenges so is pulling her own weight and not totally relying on Rob. Also, you don't see petty bickering with them like other couples we see throughout the different races.

Red Dog
05-11-05, 08:51 AM
Hats off to the Baldies. Deserving winners even though the victory came down to having a Spanish speaking driver while Romber gets the one driver in Miami who can't speak Spanish.

That being said, an extremely lame finale. Of course, this is nothing new with TAR. The first 90 minutes were completely pointless. Then, like in past seasons, only one task after the final flight. They really need to put a Detour and/or Roadblock after the last flight.

mookiemeister
05-11-05, 08:52 AM

I agree with you. She and Rob have a pretty good chemistry. And she's nice and pretty. :)

Red Dog
05-11-05, 09:00 AM
Hats off to the Baldies. Deserving winners even though the victory came down to having a Spanish speaking driver while Romber gets the one driver in Miami who can't speak Spanish.

That being said, an extremely lame finale. Of course, this is nothing new with TAR. The first 90 minutes were completely pointless. Then, like in past seasons, only one task after the final flight. They really need to put a Detour and/or Roadblock after the last flight.

Oh and I'll too add that allowing U&J on that flight looked fishy.

Red Dog
05-11-05, 09:02 AM
After seeing Amber in 2 Survivors, TAR, and numerous mags, I don't see any flaws in her, except that she is getting married to someone else.

ChrisHicks
05-11-05, 09:15 AM

she's just like my wife. :) it is a very nice thing to have someone like this.

movieking
05-11-05, 09:21 AM
she's just like my wife. :) it is a very nice thing to have someone like this.

Yes....she is just like my wife also.....right honey? (just in case she happens upon this thread)

John-In-VA
05-11-05, 09:21 AM
During the raft building Rob got a tad testy at one point and Amber said:

"I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy" or something like that.

I was like, damn.....marry me! Except that I am already married.

I also cracked up when she fell on her butt in the raft after sliding back down that hill.

devilshalo
05-11-05, 09:24 AM
I just thought it was interesting that Rob spoke Spanish on earlier episodes (to make sure that the rear doors didn't open on the bus ) but failed to speak or try to translate for the final leg.

The Baumer
05-11-05, 09:35 AM
the ending was pretty shady, U/J shouldn't have made that last flight with R/A. i might have to have a talk with Bertram van Munster.

Groucho
05-11-05, 09:36 AM
I just thought it was interesting that Rob spoke Spanish on earlier episodes (to make sure that the rear doors didn't open on the bus ) but failed to speak or try to translate for the final leg.The clip show from mid-season revealed that Rob's Spanish is actually pretty weak, although it was originally edited to look like he spoke it fairly well.

But the real problem was that they were looking/asking for a place called "The King of Havana" and had no idea that the actual place had a Spanish name.

Setzer
05-11-05, 09:38 AM
I was happy to see Uchenna and Joyce win but it was thanks to the show and CBS that they did. They got the plane to come back for them otherwise Rob and Amber win this race easy and CBS didn't want that. How exciting of an ending would that have been?

BlackCapTen
05-11-05, 09:45 AM
I pretty much agree with all of you. I felt something was wrong with them making that plane. Didn't think too much of it until I read everbody's posts and saw that others are feeling the same.

Amber is very cool and she knows how to handle herself while she's on camera (the entire race). I was rooting for U and J as well as Romber. I think Romber won the most legs on this race, correct? They certainly won the most prizes (at least 3 or 4 if I remember correctly)!

And as Patman mentioned, Phil's face was hilarious when he was questioning Ron and Kelly. I'll have to get a screencap of it.

chowderhead
05-11-05, 10:25 AM
I was happy to see Uchenna and Joyce win but it was thanks to the show and CBS that they did. They got the plane to come back for them otherwise Rob and Amber win this race easy and CBS didn't want that. How exciting of an ending would that have been?

the plane didn't taxi and then come back. It stood there on on the mat and they just had to bring the gate back and open the hatch. I don't care if the producers had anything to do holding up the plane but they clearly showed that the gate agents asked the pilot and the pilot said ok. The flight was delayed anyway, and so like movieking said, the producers didn't plan on any team being able to catch this flight and that all teams would make the later flight.

I didn't hear many people bitching last season when Jon had to wait around for Kendra and john at the skydiving hangar in Hawaii. TPTB always try to control or "manipulate" the timeframe either with bunching/hours of operation or even more specifically this season, you may only take 1 of these two flights to _____.

I agree that they should have the detours and roadblocks in the final city if they have bunching right before. Still :) :) and a dancing bannana for Uchenna and Joyce for winning over Romber :) :)

Tommy Ceez
05-11-05, 10:25 AM
Why wouldnt Amber trust EVERYTHING Rob decided...the last time she did it SHE walked away with $1,000,000

BigDan
05-11-05, 10:48 AM
I just thought it was interesting that Rob spoke Spanish on earlier episodes (to make sure that the rear doors didn't open on the bus ) but failed to speak or try to translate for the final leg.

I'm sure the CBS producers told hium he wasn't allowed to speak Spanish anymore.

Just to make the race closer.

LorenzoL
05-11-05, 10:50 AM
I'm sure the CBS producers told hium he wasn't allowed to speak Spanish anymore.

Just to make the race closer.

:lol:

Denonht
05-11-05, 10:51 AM
I like U & J but R & A (especially Rob) were by far the best team and deserved to win. The way CBS "fixed" the race at the end left the bad taste in my mouth.
Rob is a great player and it showed again. I really enjoyed watching him during Survivor AS and Amazing Race.

JasonF
05-11-05, 11:02 AM
Hey JasonF don't hate on U and J.

1) Uchenna said that the race brought them closer together. All the evidence points to a healthy relationship. I don't remember them yelling at each other or being unsupportive to each other or other teams.

2) at the finish mat, they said they would try in vitro, and if that didn't work, they'd adopt.

Sorry -- in vitro is a pet peeve of mine, so I'm probably being unreasonably hard on U&J. That said:

1) Maybe the race did bring them closer together, though we'll see if they are still close together 6 months later (I Tivo'ed this morning's CBS Early Show, so I don't know how they are doing). But my problem is more the fact that they have been having problems with their marriage in the past -- and while those problems were going on, they were trying to have a kid. Work out the porblems in your marriage and then try to bring a kid into it, not the other way around.

2) Good news, poor unwanted kid! You get to be the consolation prize!

Screw in vitro. There's a reason the two of you can't have a kid. Call it God, call it genetics, call it fate. Whatever. Just accept it and find one of the many, many, many children who need a loving home.

devilshalo
05-11-05, 11:04 AM
Of course the real conspiracy could be, how many plants did CBS send to Uchenna so he'd come up with enough cash for the cab. ;)

das Monkey
05-11-05, 11:06 AM
Am I the only one who read some subtext into Uchenna's response to Joyce declaring her love for him? I don't recall the exact wording, but he paused for a long time and said something odd like, "Thank you. It's good to hear you say that." It just seemed strange, like there was something under the surface.

das

Dimension X
05-11-05, 11:14 AM
Wasn't it Rob who finally saw the cigar store sign and said "It says 'King of Havana' in Spanish?"

Khalid
05-11-05, 11:16 AM
Sorry -- in vitro is a pet peeve of mine, so I'm probably being unreasonably hard on U&J. That said:

1) Maybe the race did bring them closer together, though we'll see if they are still close together 6 months later (I Tivo'ed this morning's CBS Early Show, so I don't know how they are doing). But my problem is more the fact that they have been having problems with their marriage in the past -- and while those problems were going on, they were trying to have a kid. Work out the porblems in your marriage and then try to bring a kid into it, not the other way around.

2) Good news, poor unwanted kid! You get to be the consolation prize!

Screw in vitro. There's a reason the two of you can't have a kid. Call it God, call it genetics, call it fate. Whatever. Just accept it and find one of the many, many, many children who need a loving home.

Fair enough.

Hey, remember to post anything interesting the three teams say on the Early Show. Thanks, Jason.

devilshalo
05-11-05, 11:20 AM
Wasn't it Rob who finally saw the cigar store sign and said "It says 'King of Havana' in Spanish?"
But it took him visual confirmation. Had he thought of asking in Spanish sooner, they wouldn't have ended up 16 blocks away.

DRG
05-11-05, 11:41 AM
In future final legs, they need to:

1) Force teams to pick some 'selected' flights. If they are going to insist on bunching at this level, I'd rather them just be upfront about it.

2) As an altenative, get them stateside (or at least on the continent in some fashion that doesn't require another flight) by the end of the previous leg. Final leg would then be determined more by driving, etc. Obviously the producers' dream is to have all three teams neck and neck. Might as well set it up at this point, as the finales are always two hours (and two legs) anyway.

3) More challenges in the final leg (after all flights, trains, etc.) The challenges were essentially voided this time because of the bunching, both overt and otherwise. The golfing challenge was a good idea, but would've been much more worthwhile if it had occurred in Florida.

4) A big challenge at the very end. And not some stunt like bungie jumping where you just go and do it and it's over like that. Something that incorporates physical work AND mental difficulty. Perhaps a five-part challenge of some sort, whatever. It could maybe incorporate elements from past challenges, a la Survivor, I don't know. But it would have to be something non-linear, where some teams get it done in a half hour but others it may take 2 hours. Have it take place AT the final landing strip location with all the booted teams there. The teams would show up excited, but then realize they still had the mother of all challenges to do.

On a side note, I think they need new types of challenges in the future besides just the Detour and Roadblock. How about a challenge that combines the two? Two very different challenges that need to be done (like the Detour)... except each is an individual challenge (like the Roadblock). BOTH challenges would have to be done simultaneously, and teams would have to decide which member does which challenge, and there would be no switching and no helping out if one team member got done early.

Darq
05-11-05, 11:44 AM

Screw them.
It's possible that their marital problems are due to them having problems conceiving.

Darq
05-11-05, 11:44 AM
Well they're forever stiffing the cabbies in third world countries so I don't think that paying the cab fare in full is a strict rule.
Yeah, but at this point, they were in the U.S. Stiffing cabbies IS a violation of the law, and I'm sure major penalties would have been in order had they not paid the cabbie.

kitkat
05-11-05, 11:56 AM

The thing that bugged me about that incident was that Rob couldn't make a decision either, so he demanded that Amber do it. By consistently dominating the decision making process until they hit what was basically a no-win situation and then demanding that Amber take over he out her in a very unfair position.

Other than that I really liked their dynamic and liked the way they treated each other. I also suspect that Amber has more influence in the decision making process than was shown. Rob seems to really respect her, he just has a more dominant, larger-than-life personality, and is the front man for whatever they both decide to do. Clearly he takes the lead, but I do think she gets her input in there when she has something to say. He makes better TV.

BDLOU
05-11-05, 11:56 AM
In future final legs, they need to:

1) Force teams to pick some 'selected' flights. If they are going to insist on bunching at this level, I'd rather them just be upfront about it.

2) As an altenative, get them stateside (or at least on the continent in some fashion that doesn't require another flight) by the end of the previous leg. Final leg would then be determined more by driving, etc. Obviously the producers' dream is to have all three teams neck and neck. Might as well set it up at this point, as the finales are always two hours (and two legs) anyway.

3) More challenges in the final leg (after all flights, trains, etc.) The challenges were essentially voided this time because of the bunching, both overt and otherwise. The golfing challenge was a good idea, but would've been much more worthwhile if it had occurred in Florida.

4) A big challenge at the very end. And not some stunt like bungie jumping where you just go and do it and it's over like that. Something that incorporates physical work AND mental difficulty. Perhaps a five-part challenge of some sort, whatever. It could maybe incorporate elements from past challenges, a la Survivor, I don't know. But it would have to be something non-linear, where some teams get it done in a half hour but others it may take 2 hours. Have it take place AT the final landing strip location with all the booted teams there. The teams would show up excited, but then realize they still had the mother of all challenges to do.

On a side note, I think they need new types of challenges in the future besides just the Detour and Roadblock. How about a challenge that combines the two? Two very different challenges that need to be done (like the Detour)... except each is an individual challenge (like the Roadblock). BOTH challenges would have to be done simultaneously, and teams would have to decide which member does which challenge, and there would be no switching and no helping out if one team member got done early.

Agreed with most of this. Make it like NASCAR is now. Once at the final 3, they start at the same time and there are no obvious bunch up points. Get them all on the same flight to the US and then they have 5 straight detours and like you said, the last one ending right at the mat with the other teams cheering them on. I wouldn't even mind them starting all teams off at the same time on every leg since they basically do that at some point. This is a good show because of the idea behind it. However, I think they could make it 10 times a better show.

kitkat
05-11-05, 11:59 AM
Am I the only one who read some subtext into Uchenna's response to Joyce declaring her love for him? I don't recall the exact wording, but he paused for a long time and said something odd like, "Thank you. It's good to hear you say that." It just seemed strange, like there was something under the surface.

das

He made a similar comment in Africa (I think; I don't remember the country) when she said/sang, "walking in the rain with the one I love" or something close to that.

I suspect they had communication issues.

JasonF
05-11-05, 12:15 PM
A big challenge at the very end. And not some stunt like bungie jumping where you just go and do it and it's over like that. Something that incorporates physical work AND mental difficulty. Perhaps a five-part challenge of some sort, whatever. It could maybe incorporate elements from past challenges, a la Survivor, I don't know. But it would have to be something non-linear, where some teams get it done in a half hour but others it may take 2 hours. Have it take place AT the final landing strip location with all the booted teams there. The teams would show up excited, but then realize they still had the mother of all challenges to do.

I liked all your ideas, but I specifically wanted to point out that this was done before -- two races ago, the teams had to fly to Dallas, run a maze, and then drive to the finish line. The maze took the different teams different amounts of time, and although my memory is thta Chip and Kim got to the maze first and never lost their lead, there was a lot of potential for somebody to pass them in the maze.

DRG
05-11-05, 12:16 PM
Wow...

"House," 11.4/17, kept FOX in the lead at 9 p.m. CBS got a 9.1/14 from the first half of "The Amazing Race" finale. An hour's worth of "According to Jim," 5.2/8, gave ABC sole possession of third over "Scrubs" and "Will & Grace" on NBC. The WB stayed in fifth "One Tree Hill," while "Veronica Mars" closed its season on UPN with a 2.0/3.

At 10 p.m., the conclusion of "The Amazing Race" posted a 10.1/16, beating NBC's "Law & Order: SVU," 9.8/16. ABC's "Blind Justice" trailed with a 4.6/7.

DRG
05-11-05, 12:19 PM
I liked all your ideas, but I specifically wanted to point out that this was done before -- two races ago, the teams had to fly to Dallas, run a maze, and then drive to the finish line. The maze took the different teams different amounts of time, and although my memory is thta Chip and Kim got to the maze first and never lost their lead, there was a lot of potential for somebody to pass them in the maze.

I remember that one now that you mention it. Essentially I meant something along those lines, except have it at the end... no more driving. When they pop out of the maze (or whatever the challenge is), it's the end.

JasonF
05-11-05, 12:19 PM
It's possible that their marital problems are due to them having problems conceiving.

I'd be willing to bet the conception problems contributed heavily to their marital problems, but the fact remains that if you're having marital problems, you owe it to your marriage and to the kids you want to solve those problems before going forward with the kids. Some marriages deal with conception problems just fine, facing the problem together as a team and others break up over it. Still others -- like Joyce and Uchena -- are in the middle, and my only point is that they should make sure they are firmly in the "we are a team" zone before they take the next step toward having kids (and that goes not just for in vitro, but also for adopting, conceiving the "old fashioned" way, or any other means of having a kid).

mgbfan
05-11-05, 12:20 PM
That chick's all right.

GuessWho
05-11-05, 12:23 PM
I'd be willing to bet the conception problems contributed heavily to their marital problems

As well as money problems.

Uchenna was laid off his job at Enron when it collapsed in 2001, and Joyce lost her job when WorldCom fell

The million dollars should relieve financial stress, can help alleviate some IVF stress, and they should have a clean path to having less issues to fight about in the future.

mgbfan
05-11-05, 12:26 PM
Why wouldn't you think she's the perfect wife since the way she appeared in this show is that she does whatever Rob tells her to do. Frankly she didn't bring anything to the team.
Disagreed. She's just excellent at evaluating people. She understands that Rob is a Type A and she also understands that he had a good feel for the game. Knowing that, the best thing she can do is not obstruct him and be useful and supportive in every way possible. Which is exactly what she did.

Look at Joyce. She was far less useful than Amber. Uchenna carried that team the entire way. Joyce's biggest contribution was shaving her head.

Look at Rob and Kelly. Both personalities tried to dominate and it didn't work out.

mrpayroll
05-11-05, 12:30 PM
Wow...

Quote:
"House," 11.4/17, kept FOX in the lead at 9 p.m. CBS got a 9.1/14 from the first half of "The Amazing Race" finale. An hour's worth of "According to Jim," 5.2/8, gave ABC sole possession of third over "Scrubs" and "Will & Grace" on NBC. The WB stayed in fifth "One Tree Hill," while "Veronica Mars" closed its season on UPN with a 2.0/3.

At 10 p.m., the conclusion of "The Amazing Race" posted a 10.1/16, beating NBC's "Law & Order: SVU," 9.8/16. ABC's "Blind Justice" trailed with a 4.6/7.

I'd say there's a good chance that The Amazing Race will be back next Oct! :thumbsup: ;)

Chris

mgbfan
05-11-05, 12:35 PM
Note for Ron regarding Kelly: RUN! Get out now, as fast as you can. If that woman is that ... errm ... bitchy and inflexible at her age, she is only going to get worse.

And for a "beauty queen" ... she was sure fugly.

girlnextdoor
05-11-05, 01:02 PM
I wonder when or maybe if Rob and Amber got their luggage back?

BDLOU
05-11-05, 01:41 PM
Note for Ron regarding Kelly: RUN! Get out now, as fast as you can. If that woman is that ... errm ... bitchy and inflexible at her age, she is only going to get worse.

And for a "beauty queen" ... she was sure fugly.

I think Ron basically found this out during the race. This is why he was so abrasive with her. I guarantee he ran from her as soon as this race ended. It amazes me that Kelly still wanted more out of the relationship at the end of the race. It was quite clear they were not meant to be together but her drive to marry was outweighing her hapiness.

movieking
05-11-05, 01:45 PM
Breaking News! Ron & Kelly have broken up!

From CBS.com:

Not such a happy ending for Ron Young and Kelly McCorkle who are now just friends.

The full article:

Couple's 'Amazing' Victory

Uchenna, an energy broker who once worked for Enron, and Joyce, a sales manager who once worked for WorldCom, will use the prize to pay some bills and take their family on their own amazing trip. (Photo: CBS/The Early Show)

Married couple Uchenna and Joyce Agu started the last leg of the race in last place and with no money.

"It was hard. It was humiliating," Joyce tells The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith, recalling their time at the Jamaica airport begging for money. "It was so devastating just to understand what it feels like to not have anything. And people looking at you like, you know, you're trash or you have some disease. And then, people didn't want to give us anything. I mean, it was just so hard. We want to tell them,’ We’re tax-paying citizens,' but we couldn't really say."

Well, those days are over. The couple received a $1 million check from show host Phil Keoghan Wednesday on The Early Show.. With part of the money, they plan to adopt if the fertility treatment does not work.

"Before the race began, we've gone through a lot," Uchenna tells co-anchor Rene Syler. "Layoffs and little financial deprivation there. Couples tend to really get at each other when there's some financial strife. And we got to pretty high levels of issues."

But Joyce notes that the show proved that when they have a common goal, they can work together.

"I let him handle his strength, and he allows me to handle my strength - strengths that he didn't know I had, I'm sure," she says.

It was at the Jamaican airport that Joyce was ready to give up, but the encouraging words from her husband put her back on track.

"I thought, this is it," Joyce says. "People are so rude to us. Nobody would give us any money, and I thought we were asking very kindly, but he just kept saying: We're not going to give up."

And with that they ended the hopes of former "Survivor" champs Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich's of conquering two separate reality shows. Rob and Amber were in the lead, already on a plane to Miami from Puerto Rico, when Uchenna and Joyce were once again begging. This time, they were pleading for the airline to put the jetway back on the full and about-to-depart plane for them.

"I think last night the difference was them turning the plane around to come back and pick up Uchenna and Joyce. If not, we were smooth sailing out of there," Rob says.

But when the jetway came back, Joyce says she thought she was going to faint. "We looked at each other, and we were like 'No way,'" Uchenna says.

Joyce adds, "I actually looked up, and I was, like, thank you, God. This is a miracle. There's no way. That never happens. It never happens."

Uchenna notes, "When they said, 'Call the pilot.' We're thinking: They're calling the pilot. They're calling the pilot. When that jetway went back, I mean, it's just a breath of fresh air."

Seventy-two thousand miles, 25 cities, and 5 continents and it all came down to a cigar store in Little Havana. With the help of a Spanish-speaking cab driver, Uchenna and Joyce arrived at the pit stop for their final clue.

"We're saying three kings," Joyce recalls, "And he goes, well, in Spanish, it's tres. And we're thinking, could it be? Would they be so tricky? I couldn't believe it."

For Rob and Amber it was "as the expression goes, close but no cigar," Rob says with a smile. "We were definitely confident throughout."

Amber notes to win they had to believe they could win all the time. "You have to go through the race with a confident attitude believing in yourself. That's how you get as far as you do. That's how we got to the end," she says.

Even if that means you become the unpopular team in the race. "A couple teams don't like us, but it's all right. We went out to run the race, and we happened to make some friends along the way," Amber says.

And the good news is that they are now married. Not such a happy ending for Ron Young and Kelly McCorkle who are now just friends.

Ron says, "When you travel together, it really does kind of break it all down. You see everything. Sometimes, it's not good"

About the fights they had while on the show, Kelly notes, " It's very stressful. I'm a human being. I'm not perfect. Things fly out sometimes."

And Ron says, "You're trying to get it done as fast as possible. If you took anybody's conversation like a little argument and took one sentence out of that to represent the entire argument, you get a totally different picture than you would listening to the whole thing."

So now the question is for Rob and Amber: Will we see them again in another reality show?

"Stay tuned," Rob says.

BigDan
05-11-05, 02:15 PM
One of the interesting things to me about the thought that U&J getting on that flight was rigged is the efficiency in which CBS apparently worked that out.

I mean, the gate is closed and the jetway is retracted. At that point, the time that passed was probably a matter of minutes, yet in that time, the camera crew apparently called CBS who called American Airlines in Dallas (where the business day is just starting) who then called the gate and got them to call the pilot (while also calling the pilot to make sure he said "yes" when the gate called).

All probably within 10 minutes. That's an efficient conspiracy they've got going there.

LorenzoL
05-11-05, 02:36 PM
Breaking News! Ron & Kelly have broken up!

:lol: Finally something good came out of those two.

IamHydrogen1
05-11-05, 02:39 PM
That's an efficient conspiracy they've got going there.

There is probably significant coordination in advance between the producers and the airlines when they are filming at an airport. There is no way a camera crew waltzes through security and customs unannounced and films a TV show at the airline gate, takes photos of ailine employees, and films inside of an airplane.

I would imagine that at each and every airport scene there are representatives of the shows producers and airline management present.

BDB
05-11-05, 02:45 PM
Applications are up on CBS.COM for TAR 9..
TAR 8 is the family one which they are probably regretting now based on the huge ratings this season got.

May 12, 2005

CBS' 'Race' has thrilling end Tues.

CBS' "The Amazing Race" zoomed Tuesday to a thrilling conclusion that ranks as the most-watched episode ever of the globe-trotting reality series. Nonetheless, Fox easily won the night with its potent combo of "American Idol" and drama "House." The 9-11 p.m. finale of "Race," which saw Houston husband-and-wife team Uchenna and Joyce emerge as the ultimate victors, lured in 16 million viewers and 6.7 rating/17 share in the adults 18-49 demographic with its 9-11 p.m. finale, according to preliminary estimates from Nielsen Media Research. Viewership peaked in the final half-hour at 16.8 million viewers and 7.3/18 in the key demo. In adults 25-54, the two-hour closer brought in 7.6 rating/17 share. Overall, the seventh incarnation of "Race," which bowed in February, ranks as the most-watched installment of the series since its September 2001 debut.

mrpayroll
05-11-05, 03:16 PM
I'm so glad that at least one of my 'favorite of all time reality shows' that debuted at the same time has made it. The one that didn't 'The Mole' :(

Chris

Jadzia
05-11-05, 06:14 PM
The plane was just sitting there, with the doors closed. I know I have often boarded planes where they close the doors and proceed to sit there for an endless amount of time. When they called the pilot, he probably knew they were still going to be there for awhile so he allowed them to open the doors back up. I am sure he was told that there was a team from Amazing Race there and he probably thought it would be cool to open back up for them. Maybe he watched Survivor and hated Rob and Amber? :)

Uusally it is the gate people who don't wnt to be bothered after the doors were closed, but this agent actually called the pilot which was nice of her. I don't see where it was that much trouble for the airline to do so. I am sure they wouldn't do it for a normal circumstance but this was going to be televised so they probably wanted to look cool. I'm sure the pilot brags to people about having Amazing Racers on his plane.

Bill Needle
05-11-05, 09:44 PM
Couples that think having children will fix their marriage should not have children.

Bill Needle
05-11-05, 09:48 PM
The thing that bugged me about that incident was that Rob couldn't make a decision either, so he demanded that Amber do it. By consistently dominating the decision making process until they hit what was basically a no-win situation and then demanding that Amber take over he out her in a very unfair position.

Other than that I really liked their dynamic and liked the way they treated each other. I also suspect that Amber has more influence in the decision making process than was shown. Rob seems to really respect her, he just has a more dominant, larger-than-life personality, and is the front man for whatever they both decide to do. Clearly he takes the lead, but I do think she gets her input in there when she has something to say. He makes better TV.
Amber offers her support and plays the steady motivator and calmer for Rob, who takes the pressure on himself in trade. She could just tag along and be a screeching harpie instead, questioning every decision and griping and criticizing the whole time, like Kelly.

Bill Needle
05-11-05, 09:55 PM
"I think last night the difference was them turning the plane around to come back and pick up Uchenna and Joyce. If not, we were smooth sailing out of there," Rob says.

But when the jetway came back, Joyce says she thought she was going to faint. "We looked at each other, and we were like 'No way,'" Uchenna says.

Joyce adds, "I actually looked up, and I was, like, thank you, God. This is a miracle. There's no way. That never happens. It never happens."

aktick
05-11-05, 10:31 PM
I think that should be, "thank you, CBS!"

exm
05-11-05, 10:35 PM
Well, good for U+J that they won. However, I do believe that R+A were the better racers throughout the competition. Everyone complained about luck, well I call it determination.

Just a shame that one grey incident (U+J making the flight) decided this race. But hey, R+A are doing fine together so I can have peace with it!

TheGodfather
05-11-05, 10:40 PM

Terrible.

I guess CBS felt like the haters did. R/A didn't need the $$, even though they ran the far superior race.

Setzer
05-11-05, 11:30 PM
I don't care if the producers had anything to do holding up the plane but they clearly showed that the gate agents asked the pilot and the pilot said ok. The flight was delayed anyway, and so like movieking said, the producers didn't plan on any team being able to catch this flight and that all teams would make the later flight.

-rolleyes-

tronmaster
05-12-05, 01:12 AM
Well I'm glad that karma came around to Rob and Amber, for example Ron telling the Parking Attendant to lie (just like Rob did), Uchenna and Joyce making the flight while Rob & Amber get those wtf faces (just like Rob did to them before), the taxi cab driver "leaving" Rob & Amber while they are trying to find the cigar shop (no one could care less about you Rob since your back in the good ol' USA).

I read the spoiler so I knew who won, but the last 15 minutes was suspenseful like the heck.

Congrats to Uchenna & Joyce!!

D-Ball
05-12-05, 01:42 AM
I just watched it, and I thought it was a terrible end to the race. I have a hard time believing there wasn't any CBS intervention in getting the plane to come back. That Flight was originally scheduled for 8:00 but was delayed until almost 10:00. I doubt any pilot would come back to the gate to pickup 2 stand-by passengers when they are already 2 hours behind schedule. If I was one of the other passengers, I would have seriously pissed.

taa455
05-12-05, 07:27 AM
Well, the flight intervention notwithstanding, producers made the same mistake as in past seasons and planned no challenges at the final destination city. There should be at least one roadblock/detour before the finish line and it should be difficult to finish quickly. Having the winner depend so heavily on whether or not they make a flight is very disappointing.

TAR 5 winners Chip & Kim also could not pay a cabbie. However, the cabbie agreed to let them slide due to 1) Chip's pleading and personality and 2) it wasn't in the US.

I was also disappointed that U&J are going to give a big chunk of their money to doctors for IV. Why not just skip it, head straight to Africa and give one or a few of those kids a home.

I still have a lot of respect for Rob & Amber and think they are really the better racers. Amber is wonderful. You never hear her whine or complain. Joyce OTOH was boo-hooing while Uchenna was begging and Kelly was a constant pain in the ass.

SteveBlair
05-12-05, 08:11 AM
I was also disappointed that U&J are going to give a big chunk of their money to doctors for IV.

Actually, I read an interview with U&J that said their doctor has offered to do the IV for free.

Chew
05-12-05, 08:15 AM
Actually, I read an interview with U&J that said their doctor has offered to do the IV for free.

They also said this during the segment on The Early Show yesterday.

taa455
05-12-05, 08:17 AM
Wow, that's cool. Thanks for the info. I still hope they will adopt, whether or not the IV works out.

B.A.
05-12-05, 08:51 PM
Wow - that editting sucked complete ass. You knew U/J were going to win that thing for the last fifteen minutes. :rolleyes:

I didn't mind U/J winning until they were running to the finish line and Patrick was clenching his hands and repeating U/J's names and then they cut to L/A jumping up and down. My eyes rolled all the way back into my head and almost didn't come out.

Every Race - the team I root for the most finishes second. I'm sick of this crap.

Bill Needle
05-12-05, 10:09 PM
Wow - that editting sucked complete ass. You knew U/J were going to win that thing for the last fifteen minutes. :rolleyes:

I didn't mind U/J winning until they were running to the finish line and Patrick was clenching his hands and repeating U/J's names and then they cut to L/A jumping up and down. My eyes rolled all the way back into my head and almost didn't come out.

Every Race - the team I root for the most finishes second. I'm sick of this crap.
I didn't mind them showing L/A because it reminded me that those two spiteful, annoying bitches didn't win. Did you know they were gay? Yes way!

B.A.
05-12-05, 10:17 PM
I didn't mind them showing L/A because it reminded me that those two spiteful, annoying bitches didn't win.Good point. :beer:

B.A.
05-13-05, 09:23 AM
It's the next morning and I have finally read this entire thread. Glad to see I wasn't the only one a little pissed about the two stand-by passengers getting on board the plane after the doors were closed and the jetway was pulled away. It's smelled fishy while we were watching it...

The finals of TAR are often anti-climactic. I echo the calls of several of you that the final leg should be the most physically/mentally challenging leg of the race.

Red Dog
05-13-05, 09:30 AM
I didn't mind U/J winning until they were running to the finish line and Patrick was clenching his hands and repeating U/J's names

Well he consistently acts like a little girl when it comes to Romber. Remember the TV Guide interview with him I posted last month.

B.A.
05-13-05, 09:40 AM
That article immediately came to mind. Then when Phil was talking to Romber, they showed him again and he had this smug smile on his face. I'm just happy he was gone from the race long ago.

movieking
05-13-05, 11:08 AM
I am glad that little whiney bitch came nowhere near winning. Ditto for the gays.