DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Boycotting Best Buy

gcbma
05-09-05, 08:01 PM
I've had it with Best Buy. When I was a DVD newbie I shopped there all the time, but over the years whenever a rare problem arose with a purchase, they were invariantly anti-customer oriented. As a result my spending there trickled down and down at their stores, while I turned over my business to more customer-friendly shops like Borders and Tower Records and select online sites in feeding my ongoing building of a decent DVD collection.

This past weekend, in preparation for the upcoming theatrical release of Star Wars: Episode III, I opened up the Star Wars trilogy that I bought a few months ago and began watching them straight through. About 58 minutes into Empire Strikes Back the DVD pixelated and froze up. I even tried skipping ahead a chapter or two to at least see most of the movie, but no luck, it seemed to pixelate and freeze through the rest of the disk. The shrink wrap had come off only hours earlier and there were no surface marks at all. I panicked, but was relieved when I dug through my files and found my original Best Buy receipt from February. Since I wasn't returning it or exchanging it--I only needed to swap out that one disk--I didn't foresee any problem. Ignorant me. Best Buy customer (dis)service absolutely refused to do anything about it--no exchange, no swapping of disk, no nothing. They even discouraged me from contacting the manufacturer after their refusal, saying that they doubted they would do anything for me either--they hoped I would get stuck with a defective box set apparently. That receipt happened to have well over $100 worth of DVDs (including LoTR EE, Star Wars, X-Files, ... box sets) on it from that one day, but that fact didn't faze them a bit. I located a floor manager and discussed the simple issue with her, that there was no way any person with a full time job and normal life could watch all of those DVDs in that one purchase (plus the many others still in the queue at home) in less than 30 days. Shoulders shrugged and they continued to deny an exchange. Fine they will lose this customer for good.

From this day on I am completely boycotting Best Buy until they modify their policy on making good on defective DVDs. No loss to me (I'll still buy the films I want at less noisy places at the prices I want to pay) and no loss to them (they won't notice $1000/year loss of sales among their billions in revenue) in the great scheme of things, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Scotts35
05-09-05, 08:04 PM
It sounds more like your player was having trouble with a disc. Usually I just stop and reload it and its good as new. And what do you expect for BB following policy?

U6C84
05-09-05, 08:06 PM
On the other hand....I work at Best Buy and don't even buy DVD's from them.

but I do get a lot of Movie posters that are being stored in my trunk.

If anyone is in the San Francisco area....like SSF or Daly City, e-mail me and you can take all of them if you want.

Corvin
05-09-05, 08:09 PM
Good for you. Stick it to the man.

rooter
05-09-05, 08:10 PM
uh use your brain

best buy and every other major electronics store has a return/exchange policy for a reason

you can exchange it in that time

past that its your fault

the only downfall to working retail is customers like you... sounds like this customer who came back to circuit city and wanted us to exchange her 6 month old ipod... call the manufacturer ffs

DVD Josh
05-09-05, 08:11 PM
So basically you are upset that they wouldn't break their 30 day policy. That's what a policy is for, to avoid bedlam. Sounds like biting the nose to spite the face to me to boycott them.

naitram
05-09-05, 08:11 PM
Good luck with that.

Want me to get anything for you while I'm in there?

gcbma
05-09-05, 08:13 PM
It sounds more like your player was having trouble with a disc. Usually I just stop and reload it and its good as new.
Wrong, but I'm sure the mega-corporation appreciates your attempt to help them out. Many attempts were made to get the disk to play. I even ejected the disk, shut down the machine, started over again at chapters beyond the problem area, and it still froze up. The other three disks in the set played fine all the way through.

And what do you expect for BB following policy?
Exactly. It's a BB nationwide policy. That's the point.

TylerDurden_73
05-09-05, 08:15 PM
Take it to circuit city, tell them you got it as a birthday gift and you would like to exchange it. Works for me Everytime.

DVD Josh
05-09-05, 08:19 PM
Wrong, but I'm sure the mega-corporation appreciates your attempt to help them out. Many attempts were made to get the disk to play. I even ejected the disk, shut down the machine, started over again at chapters beyond the problem area, and it still froze up. The other three disks in the set played fine all the way through.

Exactly. It's a BB nationwide policy. That's the point.

So you never tried the disc in ANOTHER player? Let's try that before getting smart with someone trying to help you.

If your point is that you are boycotting BB because they followed their nationwide policy, then what sort of sympathy are you trying to elicit?

And this is in the wrong forum, there's a store forum.

PixyJunket
05-09-05, 08:21 PM
I'll buy twice as much to make up! Yay Best Buy!

Scott Connors
05-09-05, 08:45 PM
I received about $150 in duplicate DVDs as Christmas gifts this past season, so I didn't have any receipts. Nevertheless, BB gave me store credit for the list price for those unopened titles, which made for a very merry Christmas indeed. I have no problem with BB on this account. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer.

eau
05-09-05, 08:55 PM
Call Fox directly 1-888-223-2FOX. Perhaps they are more willing to exchange the bad disc for you.

gcbma
05-09-05, 09:02 PM
So you never tried the disc in ANOTHER player? Let's try that before getting smart with someone trying to help you.

Good idea, never thought of that. I'll run over to Best Buy tonight and buy another $200 DVD player from them so that I can test the defective DVD that they wouldn't exchange.

Alan Smithee
05-09-05, 09:02 PM
Common sense should be used in dealing with returned DVDs. (Of course, EVERY copy of Star Wars is defective since it doesn't contain the correct version of the movie, but I digress.) If it has problems playing yet hasn't been damaged, I'd usually accept a return for another of the same title. If the same customer returns several discs though, then I start to get suspicious- I work for a mail order company so obviously I have to judge whether to get the disc back from the customer before giving them a replacement, but if you're right there in the store that's a non-issue. They should be able to actually play the disc instore too to see if there's any immediate problems.
If the store won't take it back though, you can usually get satisfaction from the company, again provided you don't return every disc you get from them.
I'm a little pissed at Best Buy since I wasted $30 on a cable to connect a borrowed camera to my DVD recorder- when I plugged it in the signal kept going in and out, so it was useless for transferring a digital tape to disc. When I brought the cable back it worked on a computer they had behind the counter, so they would not take it back. Maybe it was my fault for not checking to see what would work with the equipment when I was using, but when I asked them what I SHOULD have used they didn't even know! Most stores have pretty liberal return policies on electronic items anyway if they don't work the way you want them to, but I'm stuck with this $30 cable. On the receipt I got an invitation to take their survey, so I mentioned that I buy mostly DVDs at Best Buy which I know they don't make much money off of; if I was going to get screwed on a $30 accessory though there was no way in hell I would ever buy a TV or any other big-ticket item from them, since I'd probably be stuck if anything went wrong with that.

gcbma
05-09-05, 09:05 PM
Thanks to all the postive posts and advice (re: alternative methods to get the disk exchanged)! Much appreciated.

Gizmo
05-09-05, 10:40 PM
So you waited months to watch it, and were mad they wouldn't break there generous 30 day return policy? Yawn. I understand some people (like myself) don't get around to watching DVDs as soon as I buy it, but what do you expect? You spending $100 means nothing to them.

DVD Josh
05-09-05, 10:41 PM
Good idea, never thought of that. I'll run over to Best Buy tonight and buy another $200 DVD player from them so that I can test the defective DVD that they wouldn't exchange.

LOL. Incredible. Until you confirm the disc will not play properly at the same point in another player, you have ZERO BASIS to say it is a defective disc rather than a player issue. That's plain to everyone else.

Don't believe you have some magic DVD player that plays every disc flawlessly. Even professional grade Denons have issues. But it's a FACT - until you verify it's the disc and not the player, your complaint has no merit. And don't you have friends? You have to buy another player to check this?

Because you missed your return window, your issue is now with FOX. It is not BB's fault you missed the return window. It's yours.

SINGLE104
05-10-05, 02:11 AM
Best Buy has only a thirty day return, or exchange policy. No matter what the circumstances may be, anytime afterwards, the merchant will not acknowledge your complaint. you can spend hundred, or thousands of dollars at Best Buy everyday, it's not going to make a difference. Hate to bust your bubble, but your just stuck with it.
But I understand what your going through because incident has happened to me. When I located my reciept, and detected that the thirty day policy have expired, there was nothing I could do, so I didn't even bother to pursue the issue with merchant any further, because It would be a waste of time. It was entirely my neglect for waiting so long.

tasha99
05-10-05, 02:29 AM
The manager at Best Buy should have tried to play it in one of their players to test it. If it didn't work despite having no scratches, he should have bent the rule for a good customer who got defective merchandise. It would have been the "right" thing to do, but I am not shocked that they decided to stick it to you for not watching the dvd fast enough. There's a reason Best Buy has a tarnished reputation.

I've been to Best Buy once--to buy an Ipod, and though the store was filled with customer service reps, they were all standing around chatting and too busy to help me. I left in disgust and drove two blocks to Circuit City to get my Ipod. I used to get annoyed at the way Circuit City reps are all over you, but being constantly ignored is definitely worse.

D-Ball
05-10-05, 02:53 AM
I can understand a 30 day return policy, but it shouldn't apply to defective merchandise. Ecspecially when they continuously offer deals on multiple seasons of tv show. I know they had deal on Friends if you bought all 9 seasons. How can they expect you to watch all of them in 30 days.

Also, I'm not surprised you had trouble with Star Wars. Fox seems to have the worst quality control of all the studios. Of all the defective discs that I've had, over half have been Fox titles.

Mopower
05-10-05, 08:47 AM
Why the hell did you even give them the receipt? You should have said you got it as a gift and didn't have the receipt. Then they would have exchanged it no problems. Instead you try to pass off an item that is 4 months old and get angry when they won't exchange it? You're a genius.

NCDVD
05-10-05, 10:02 AM
If there is another best buy around take it to a different one or a circuit city or check wal mart and exchange it there.

Doc Moonlight
05-10-05, 10:50 AM
First off, I agree with the posters who said that the Bet Buy manager should have used common sense and exchanged the defective disc for a copy of the same disc. After all, the defective disc will only be returned to Fox for full credit. It's not like BB is going to be expected to "eat it". The one time I exchanged a defective disc at BB, they opened the replacement disc so it couldn't be exchanged as new. I had no problem with this.

If BB insisted on not exchanging the disc, they should at least have advised you of your options and given you a contact number or e-mail at Fox. Regardless of their policy, they sold you a defective disc and should realize that they have a vested interest in making sure you get a working one.

If all else fails, you can always hold on to the set until December 26 and exchange it at a time when BB's return rules are less stringent.

bigsoos
05-10-05, 11:04 AM
take it to Wal-Mart and exchange it, they'll take back anything.
I remember I was working the service desk and my manager ok'd the refund of a lawn chair that was 2 yrs old and rusted out.

KillerQ
05-10-05, 11:13 AM
gcbma,

I normally don't bother to respond to threads like this. I feel your pain, but you have to understand the policy -- Best buy is just doing their job.

So, you are saying that If you bought a mp3 player 9 months ago, just opened it, and it doesn't work properly, you demand a replacement? Don't say that your scenario is different, because it's not.

Matt

matome
05-10-05, 11:30 AM
Because you missed your return window, your issue is now with FOX. It is not BB's fault you missed the return window. It's yours.

:up:

tasha99
05-10-05, 12:07 PM
gcbma,

I normally don't bother to respond to threads like this. I feel your pain, but you have to understand the policy -- Best buy is just doing their job.

So, you are saying that If you bought a mp3 player 9 months ago, just opened it, and it doesn't work properly, you demand a replacement? Don't say that your scenario is different, because it's not.

Matt

It is different though, because discs don't wear out (at least not in a few months). If there were no scratches and it wouldn't play in any dvd player, its a manufacturing defect. You couldn't say the same about an mp3 player.

chemosh6969
05-10-05, 12:36 PM
Why the hell did you even give them the receipt? You should have said you got it as a gift and didn't have the receipt. Then they would have exchanged it no problems. Instead you try to pass off an item that is 4 months old and get angry when they won't exchange it? You're a genius.

Does anything the guy did make sense?

The best advice that I can give you is to buy Best Buy and then you can break the policy all you want.

I always like reading the stories of people that are going to boycott stores for stupid reasons.

BigDan
05-10-05, 12:58 PM
It is different though, because discs don't wear out (at least not in a few months). If there were no scratches and it wouldn't play in any dvd player, its a manufacturing defect. You couldn't say the same about an mp3 player.

Because MP3 players wear out in a matter of months?

KillerQ
05-10-05, 01:48 PM
Hey,

If you look carefully, you'll see that I mentioned JUST OPENING the mp3 player 9 months later. the point was that it was defective upon opening -- long after the 30 days... Maybe you should try and return this forum because you can't read it correctly -- oh wait, your return period is up...sorry

Matt

DVDsAreMyLIFE
05-10-05, 05:55 PM
Man OP sure got Pwned.

tasha99
05-10-05, 07:10 PM
Because MP3 players wear out in a matter of months?
I mean it could get dropped or something--there's no way they could know whether the player was defective right upon opening it or if it got abused somehow.

Breather
05-10-05, 07:10 PM
I agree with the majority here. You really can't fault Best Buy in this instance. Their return/exchange policy on DVDs is on the back of the receipt. You have 30 days. You were past that and that leaves you with limited choices.

-You can call the Fox number already provided in this thread. They'll exchange the DVD without a problem. I've done this and it's a painless process and probably the best idea.

-You can exchange the set at Wal Mart.

-You can buy DVDs in the future at Target, where you have 90 days for an exchange with a receipt. You'll just have to live with the fact that they don't have quite the inventory of a Best Buy.

aerobson
05-11-05, 12:43 PM
I love these store complaint threads. They never turn out well.

I wish I saw this thread two days ago. Could have saved you a lot of grief. The ANH disk is defective and Fox has issued a replacement disc free of charge. I'm assuming you called the number listed in one of the previous posts (there is also an extensive thread in the DVD Talk Forum-didn't bother to look for it, but its there). You should have the disc in a week. I went through the process and it worked just fine.

fujishig
05-11-05, 02:56 PM
Wait... but the guy is complaining about ESB, not ANH...

How is it defective? Because I haven't watched mine yet, either...

aerobson
05-11-05, 03:14 PM
Oops...you're right. I read his post too fast. Well, I hope Fox would make good with that just like they did ANH. But, I think it would have been a more widespread complaint if was as prevalent as ANH.

Venom
05-11-05, 04:12 PM
i bought the 2 disc From Dusk Till Dawn. I wanted to own the movie which they had at a good price. I didn't have any desire to watch it anytime soon as i had seen it so many times already.

finally many months later i open it to watch it to realize the second disc is missing.
with the recipt in hand i go back to BB and explain. the best they would do is let me buy the new one the girl had opened to see if they were even supposed to have 2 discs for half price. i said no thanks and walked.

at home a i called Disney/Miramax and told them the deal. they mailed out a postage free package and i mailed them my copy back and a few days later got a brand new correct dvd set.

on a related note, i also boycotte BB. they refused their own policy in price matching (the indiana jones set from ekcards.) so the hell with them.

bigsoos
05-11-05, 04:30 PM
finally many months later i open it to watch it to realize the second disc is missing. with the recipt in hand i go back to BB and explain. the best they would do is let me buy the new one the girl had opened to see if they were even supposed to have 2 discs for half price. i said no thanks and walked.

months later, no wonder they couldn't help you. I know you're being truthful and all, but it still sounds like you're pulling a scam on them. Look at it from their point of view.

DVD Josh
05-11-05, 07:50 PM
i bought the 2 disc From Dusk Till Dawn. I wanted to own the movie which they had at a good price. I didn't have any desire to watch it anytime soon as i had seen it so many times already.

finally many months later i open it to watch it to realize the second disc is missing.
with the recipt in hand i go back to BB and explain. the best they would do is let me buy the new one the girl had opened to see if they were even supposed to have 2 discs for half price. i said no thanks and walked.

at home a i called Disney/Miramax and told them the deal. they mailed out a postage free package and i mailed them my copy back and a few days later got a brand new correct dvd set.

on a related note, i also boycotte BB. they refused their own policy in price matching (the indiana jones set from ekcards.) so the hell with them.

No you failed to READ their price matching policy. In no universe is Eckard's a COMPETITOR of Best Buy. And don't make the argument they were selling the same item, because best buy sells gum and soda and you can't say that 7-11 is a competitor. In addition, it's well known that almost all Eckards had no stock of IJ on release week due to a vendor issue. So BB didn't match the price from a non-competitor who didn't even have the item in stock. Excellent logic for boycotting them.

island007
05-11-05, 09:12 PM
Ok, I will not walk into a BB for one year.

POWERBOMB
05-12-05, 12:19 AM
In a few ways I am like you. I too have bought many dvds and games from them that I don't get to months later. I buy the products because usually after the inital release the price never gets lower or there is an add-on. But I disagree with your statements that people don't watch all the movies at once. During the midnight releases for movies such as Titanic and Star Wars trilogy and games such as Halo 2 people went home or to a friends and watched or played the games for hours on end. I don't see how this is Best Buy's problem. You might have received the same responce from any major retailer.

Gizmo
05-12-05, 03:23 AM

You're a brillant boy. What the hell is ekcards? Sounds like a play I would buy some Hallmark cards from. Now, I won't get into it, since someone else obviously did, but they are no way competition for BB. Target, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Frys. Thats really about it. Really, I should just print some fake ads up, listing new releases at $3.99, and throw my buddys cell phone #on there, and go pricematch. I'm so sure they would do it.

ben12
05-12-05, 03:30 PM
If I could PM the OP, I would describe a plan to get the disc replaced. My plan wouldn't be illegal and, as far as I'm concerned, is not immoral, since Best Buy would have had to replace the disc anyway if you'd told them sooner. But I don't want to break any board rules.

DVD Josh
05-12-05, 03:34 PM
If I could PM the OP, I would describe a plan to get the disc replaced. My plan wouldn't be illegal and, as far as I'm concerned, is not immoral, since Best Buy would have had to replace the disc anyway if you'd told them sooner. But I don't want to break any board rules.

Well, the basic board rule is that if it sounds like it would be defrauding a retailer, don't post it. Good rule of thumb.

Y2K Falcon
05-12-05, 03:36 PM
Does it involve an overcoat and a diversion? :hscratch:

Brent L
05-12-05, 06:43 PM
...and in closing, the OP has learned a valuable lesson because of this experience:

WHEN YOU BUY DVDS ALWAYS, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS OPEN THEM UP AND TEST THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK, EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO WATCH THEM RIGHT AWAY, SO YOU CAN PREVENT EPISODES LIKE THIS!!!

*ahem*

The end.

speedy1961
05-12-05, 09:09 PM
...and in closing, the OP has learned a valuable lesson because of this experience:

WHEN YOU BUY DVDS ALWAYS, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS OPEN THEM UP AND TEST THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK, EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO WATCH THEM RIGHT AWAY, SO YOU CAN PREVENT EPISODES LIKE THIS!!!

*ahem*

The end.

Well said BL. :thumbsup:

Gizmo
05-12-05, 10:20 PM
Well, the basic board rule is that if it sounds like it would be defrauding a retailer, don't post it. Good rule of thumb.

Let me guess...go buy a NEW copy, return the OLD copy the next day. Of course they make you switch out for another NEW copy, but then he just goes to Wal-mart to return it for full store credit. Did I get it? Do I win a cookie?

tasha99
05-12-05, 10:38 PM

*ahem*

The end.

But how do you do this? If there is a flaw 16 hours into a 20 hour tv season, will that really work?

BigDan
05-13-05, 02:36 AM
But how do you do this? If there is a flaw 16 hours into a 20 hour tv season, will that really work?

No, not in the case of people who buy stuff and then don't watch it for extended periods of time, but perhaps keeping in mind the posted return policy will keep you from wasting your time trying to get special treatment at the store and go straight to the studio if something ends up being wrong (or even understanding that waiting long periods of time before watching the DVDs may lead to simply being out of luck on a replacement should there be a defect.)

cmatherne
05-13-05, 04:00 AM
While I agree that Best Buy has every right to follow their policies to the letter, I do believe that there should always be common sense exceptions to those policies. As previously stated Best Buy would lose nothing by taking care of the customer and sending the disc back to Fox. A competent manager should, when looking over the receipt, notice that over $100 was purchased on DVDs alone in this one trip. Common sense would dictate that a DVD purchase in that range is not a one time thing and DVD purchases are the type of purchases that customers will repeat over the course of the year.
A manager's main focus at the store level is making sales quotas. An average Best Buy does slightly over $10 million a year. Let's say that gcbma spends $100 a month each month for a year that is $1200 a year. Let's say the manager has one customer a month boycott his store by holding his ground in matters like these. That is $14,400 a year (Half a day's worth of sales that will not be made up) in a years time. That is money that will now go somewhere else in the future.
While I was with Wal-Mart we conducted a study that looked into return policy statistics in depth. We noticed two things between Wal-Mart and other stores: Stores that instituted stiffer return policies saw a 2%-4% decrease in overall store traffic the following year and more specifically when Target who went to a 30 days with receipt policy (stronger policy than before) Wal-Mart noticed a 1.5%-2.5% INCREASE in customer traffic. That 1-5%- 2.5% gain was greater than what we would save by having a stronger return policy. So even though Wal-Mart gets a lot of customers who return things illegally, their liberal return policy actually makes them more profit each year. I believe around $230,000 a year per store was the figure. Sorry for the long post.

fujishig
05-13-05, 12:45 PM
I assume, though, that if the CSR breaks corp. policy, he has to back it up when his manager asks about it. And while the logic you use makes sense, can you imagine having to explain all of that? Much easier to just reject it because of corp. policy, don't you think, especially because the CSR gets no personal gain by accepting the return.

If they really wanted to please customers, don't you think they'd have more than a couple CSR reps available when there's a return line going out the door?

BigDan
05-13-05, 01:00 PM
The problem with making execeptions is that they lead to pissing people off when you don't make exceptions for them. The line has to be drawn somewhere and no matter where the line is drawn, it's going to piss someone off.

If they had made an exception for this guy, do they make an exception for the DVD purchased a year ago? Two years ago? I have a copy of Hoosiers that I must've bought at least three years ago that I've never watched. If it turns out to be defective (and I could find my receipt), should Best Buy exchange it for me?

I bought a lot of DVDs at Best Buy, but I might have purchased only one DVD or DVD set on the particular day that I got the defective one. Should this guy get different treatment because that particular receipt shows a larger purchase? That would cause me to boycott when making everyone follow the printed policy would not. (If I ever get around to watching "Hoosiers" and it ends up being a defective disc, I'm not even going to try to return it to the store, though I guess I should and then get mad and boycott the store when they won't exchange it).

I honestly don't want to see a situation where a store's return policy is dictated by how the manager happens to feel that day, what can be shown on that particular receipt and how the manager happens to size me up personally.

Here's a question, too, since Wal-Mart was brought into the situation. Would they have exchanged the DVD with receipt, assuming his purchase of "a few months ago" was more than three months ago?

It just bugs me when people get mad because they refused to follow the rules themselves. The kind of people that think they deserve special treatment or belong in a special class of people. I don't necessarily fault the OP for attempting the exchange. You never know when someone's going to give you a break, but if that had happened, it really would've been doing the OP a favor. It shouldn't have been something that was expected and when it didn't happen, cause the OP to boycott the store. The manager was doing his job. He was following the return policy that the OP should've been perfectly aware of. And yet he's chastised for not breaking it.

Sure, it would've been nice to do it and had the manager broken the rules, the OP should've been very grateful. But when it didn't happen, the appropriate response would be to look inward rather than lashing out at the guy doing his job.

I have been inspired by the OP, though. I'm going to Best Buy this afternoon and insisting that I get a special check-out line. I shouldn't have to wait in line. I've spent a lot of money at Best Buy. And if they don't give me what I want, I'm boycotting!

fujishig
05-13-05, 01:06 PM
Eh, we've all boycotted Best buy at one time or another... until they have something on sale that we want. Heh.

I can't tell you how many times I've "boycotted" Frys before...

cmatherne
05-13-05, 02:46 PM
If they really wanted to please customers, don't you think they'd have more than a couple CSR reps available when there's a return line going out the door?
I never said that Best Buy was interested in pleasing anyone. I said they should be. Any company that lets an Angels & Demons type philosophy get out to the public doesn't care that much for the average customer. I never said the CSR should make this decision, it should be left up to the manager always.

As for the question from BigDan about Wal-Mart taking something back that is over a year old, they will in most cases. Wal-Mart Management is taught the same thing I explained in the previous post about weighing the risk of the return. If Hoosiers is defective, go to a Wal-Mart that does a high volume of business you have an excellent shot of a swap if they have the item in stock.

As for the question of preferred treatment for more frequent or higher spending customers, I realize no one wants to hear this but YES there is a double standard. It has always been in big business that those who spend more will invariably receive better treatment. I am not saying that the person who has a receipt with only one DVD should not be treated the same as someone who buys 20 DVDs a week but only that if the person who buys 20 DVDs a week should have a problem, his purchases can weigh in favor of the level of service he receives.

This arguement only applies in situations where items can be exchanged with little or no cost to the store so that eliminates about 98% of Best Buy's product. So the previous iPod issue would not come into play.

Venom
05-13-05, 03:01 PM
Just curious, what were the details on this?

Eckards was advertising the indy set for, i think, 34.99, basicly it was ten bucks cheaper than best buys price.

as far as i know, there was a huge thread on this back when it was relevent, quite a lot of people got BB to price match it.

their policy is useless since they can uphold it, or break it or bend it regardless. while eckards may have not had stock the first week (i don't know) there was speculation it could of been a misprice, however they then advertised again the next week, at the same price, with their stores now stocked in it.

bestbuy would not price match it for me, since they "weren't" the same product. IE, BB had a bonus disc. After being told that i grabbed a copy that didn't have the bonus disc. now i was told that the price was too low for them to justify price matching it. When they denied me the initial price match i still bought it and then the next day came back to get the 10% difference. still no go. i returned it and got it from eckards.

i'm not in a rage over it but it's not the only time i have had major problems at best buy. so i decided not to go their. if they have something cheap i can always go to circuit city which actually lives up to their policy.

BigDan
05-13-05, 03:23 PM
As for the question of preferred treatment for more frequent or higher spending customers, I realize no one wants to hear this but YES there is a double standard. It has always been in big business that those who spend more will invariably receive better treatment. I am not saying that the person who has a receipt with only one DVD should not be treated the same as someone who buys 20 DVDs a week but only that if the person who buys 20 DVDs a week should have a problem, his purchases can weigh in favor of the level of service he receives.

The problem with that, though, is how does Best Buy know how much I spend on DVDs when weighing whether to give me better service? They can't easily look up my purchases before deciding whether to do me a favor by breaking their policy. And even if they could, I, like a lot of people, pay cash a good deal of the time when making purchases of that kind of merchandise. So, if I go in there with a problem, they have no idea and no real way of knowing, how good of a customer I am.

And even still, I will agree that it's probably good customer service that costs the company virtually nothing to just exchange the damn thing, but I still hate that the OP felt entitled to have the rules broken for him and when that didn't happen, he got pissed off enough to want to boycott the place (and cause others to join in by posting his story here).

Had the manager broken policy, do you think we'd have seen the story posted here as an example of how Best Buy goes out of its way to make sure the customer is satisfied? It's possible, but I tend to doubt it (since the OP seems to feel that the manager going out of his way to break the rules especially for him was not really going out of his way but something he deserved because he spends $1,000 per year at the store (which, really, doesn't make him all that big of a whale in terms of that store's revenues. Even at $15.99 per DVD, that's only 1.2 DVDs per week on average, which would be more DVDs than he bought given that he bought box sets, etc. and had over $100 on one receipt. So maybe the manager did take into account how big of a customer the OP was and decided he wasn't worth breaking the rules for).

EDITED because I put a "she" in the wrong place trying to correct my assumption that the manager was male.

BigDan
05-13-05, 03:31 PM
When they denied me the initial price match i still bought it and then the next day came back to get the 10% difference. still no go. i returned it and got it from eckards.

I don't understand price matching. Seems like a hassle that's more trouble than just going to the place that has the lower price in the first place. If I saw Eckards had the lower price on something I wanted, I'd just go to Eckards (when there was an Eckards).

But you do point out an example of how it can be dangerous to have a policy that allows for managers to deviate. With a set price match policy, either the other folks don't get the price match or this poster does get the price match. Allowing the manager to make the decision ended up driving away a customer.

Letting the OP break the return policy and then not letting someone else just exhanges one pissed off customer for another.

tasha99
05-13-05, 04:24 PM
Is there a law about return periods in cases where the buyer got something that is clearly defective? I ask because on The People's Court yesterday, a guy bought a watch that broke two times in a month or so. Even though the store had a policy of no returns for cash (store credit only), he got his money back because you can't sell something that doesn't work and say "too bad, read our policy."

If there were no scratches and the disc didn't work a few months after purchase, it seems clear to me that BB sold a bad disc. Wouldn't this be a similar case or is there some legal time limit that passed?

wildcatlh
05-13-05, 04:29 PM
Is there a law about return periods in cases where the buyer got something that is clearly defective? I ask because on The People's Court yesterday, a guy bought a watch that broke two times in a month or so. Even though the store had a policy of no returns for cash (store credit only), he got his money back because you can't sell something that doesn't work and say "too bad, read our policy."

If there were no scratches and the disc didn't work a few months after purchase, it seems clear to me that BB sold a bad disc. Wouldn't this be a similar case or is there some legal time limit that passed?

1. People's court does not equal reality.
2. For the times it does, it applies California law. And California is not a part of New England.

DVD Josh
05-13-05, 04:48 PM
1. People's court does not equal reality.
2. For the times it does, it applies California law. And California is not a part of New England.

LOL Wildcat. You should write responses for the Pirate Bay. :)

tasha99
05-13-05, 05:01 PM
I don't think it uses California law anymore. I say this because I learned on the show that in the state of New York, a parent isn't held liable for his or her children's actions unless the parent was negligent. So there are a lot of cases where little Johny has a judgement against him and the plaintiff can just wait ten or fifteen years till he can afford to pay it. Of course, the judgements for the show are paid out of a fund, but if that's how it's really done, :lol:

cmatherne
05-13-05, 09:52 PM
:lol: I'm sure there are people who have had similar experiences at Circuit City. It all boils down to the person at the return desk making a smart business decision. Having worked at BB, I know you take every customer as a case by case basis and there are circumstances where you should just stop being so stubborn and give the customer back their money. It pains me that most of the criticism I read about BB returns is due to price matching of a few dollars or returning products of under $100. Even if the csr is upholding policy, once it gets to the point where the customer wants to 'boycott' the store, just give them the damn 20 cent difference. When faces with a difficult decision, such a a customer returning a dvd a little after 30 days or someone using questionable pricematching strategies, I just tell them "normally, due to our policy, we do not allow exchanges/pricematches such as this. But we will do it for you this time , and remember to keep the receipt next time, try to be back within 30 days, bring an ad for proof of lower prices etc etc etc". I couldnt believe some of the ridiculous arguments that my fellow associates get in with customers. And no, the managers at BB are not going to fire or execute the associate for taking a 19.99 dvd back when they werent supposed to :rolleyes:
This is basically what I have been trying to say. Maybe the original poster should just say he's boycotting Best Buy because they do not think with the customer in mind all of the time. I could see if it came to the point were one customer was coming in over and over with past due items but that is no the case. I think your response is the best way to handle these situations.

cmatherne
05-13-05, 10:12 PM
Even at $15.99 per DVD, that's only 1.2 DVDs per week on average, which would be more DVDs than he bought given that he bought box sets, etc. and had over $100 on one receipt. So maybe the manager did take into account how big of a customer the OP was and decided he wasn't worth breaking the rules for).

While this basic logic looks correct there is much more to it than that. You need to take into consideration the cost Best Buy puts out as a company to attract new customers to their store. At the fiscal end of 2004 that average cost was about $537 worth of advertising per new customer. Out of those customers 4 in 5 will spend less than $100 a month. (the other two will spend significantly more) So our boycotting customer fits into the latter category so Best Buy will have to spend $2685 (Number of new customers x cost of each new customer) to recruit this level of customer back. Not to mention there is at least a few people who will invariably boycott Best Buy by reading this thread for who knows what reasons. So if only three other customers boycott that can cost Besy Buy up to $10,000 to recoup these losses.

But I do agree with you that it is irritating when people feel like they should get special treatment. But as far as good customers go, if you are a good enough customer this issue never will come up. Many of the 2 local Best Buys are on a first name basis with me. My advice, get to know the store people if you shop there often. It can help with things like this in the long run.

wm lopez
05-13-05, 11:25 PM
I boycott them based on their price matching.
The hassle you go through unlike Circuit City or Wal-Mart where it's there you show them the ad and they match it.

Dr. Calamari
05-14-05, 06:46 AM
But I do agree with you that it is irritating when people feel like they should get special treatment. But as far as good customers go, if you are a good enough customer this issue never will come up. Many of the 2 local Best Buys are on a first name basis with me. My advice, get to know the store people if you shop there often. It can help with things like this in the long run.

I've worked in retail for about 20 years now, and it seems like every customer that walks in feels entitled to special treatment, irrespective of how much money they spend or how often they shop in our store. Customers who abuse our staff and policies get much less consideration for any problem or perceived problem than good customers who don't...and yes, we do take each complaint on a case-by-case basis. If you want special treatment, don't make yourself a pain in the ass to the staff; we've heard it all before, and no matter how much you whine about policy (and our adherence to it), how rigorously it is applied is largely dependent on your behavior, your demeanor, and the likelihood of you causing problems in the future. We help nice people; the rest of you are the reason Best Buy established the "angel/devil" format, and all the attendant stuff that comes with it.

And no, I don't work at Best Buy.

jetflair
05-17-05, 04:01 AM
What is the devil/angel format?

We just got a BB in my town and I've been in twice. Not too impressed. I purchased National Treasure there because the matched Walmart's price and had a bonus disk. However, browsing that store was the most annoying shopping experience I've had in a while. You couldn't look at anything, in any department, without a salesperson coming up and trying to introduce himself, shake hands, and start a conversation. While I was browsing DVDs FIVE seperate salespeople approached me to ask if they could help me find something. When I checked out with National Treasure it rang up a few dollars higher than the shelf price. The cashier made me fill out a form with my name and address to get the shelf price! I'm not impressed, to say the least. I won't turn down a bargain from there, but I won't be a regular customer.

DVD Josh
05-17-05, 07:49 AM
What is the devil/angel format?

We just got a BB in my town and I've been in twice. Not too impressed. I purchased National Treasure there because the matched Walmart's price and had a bonus disk. However, browsing that store was the most annoying shopping experience I've had in a while. You couldn't look at anything, in any department, without a salesperson coming up and trying to introduce himself, shake hands, and start a conversation. While I was browsing DVDs FIVE seperate salespeople approached me to ask if they could help me find something. When I checked out with National Treasure it rang up a few dollars higher than the shelf price. The cashier made me fill out a form with my name and address to get the shelf price! I'm not impressed, to say the least. I won't turn down a bargain from there, but I won't be a regular customer.

I would say the eagernes of the help was more a fact of it being a new store. That will decrease in time.

People need to learn to tell the cashier's to shove it when they ask for that info. I never give it. If they really press it, I write things like George Lucas, 123 Skywaker Ranch, Endor, District of Columbia R2D2.

a handle
05-17-05, 10:29 AM
Wall Mart never gives me any trouble bringing DVDs back without a reciept.

Michael T Hudson
05-17-05, 05:29 PM
I would say the eagernes of the help was more a fact of it being a new store. That will decrease in time.

People need to learn to tell the cashier's to shove it when they ask for that info. I never give it. If they really press it, I write things like George Lucas, 123 Skywaker Ranch, Endor, District of Columbia R2D2.

Like the cashier enjoys asking you that stuff. Talk to the manager if you have a problem.

bigsoos
05-17-05, 05:36 PM
heaven forbid a store worker actually does his/her job

fujishig
05-17-05, 06:00 PM

I was about to say the same thing. Whenever I go into a newer Best Buy, there are people all over the place, asking me if I need assistance. It's not really annoying to me, as they've been genuinely helpful, eager to check prices in the computer, and overall very customer-oriented. They try to do the usual sell for free subs, service plans, etc., but they don't push it. And no, this wasn't some fever-induced hallucination, it's happened a few times.

Best Buys that are even 6 months old, I have a hard time getting anybody to help me (the camera section is especially bad). It really does decrease with time. I don't know if the employees get bitter over people asking the same questions over and over, if they get lazy, or if the store just shifts focus because it's already got it's customers.

About the customer service bit: it is a case-by-case basis, but as I've said before, why would they stick their neck out for a customer and break policy? Even if you won't get fired for it, if you do it a lot, I'm sure it'll get noticed... otherwise, if they don't track that kind of stuff, what's to stop them from pulling scams with their friends? Not to mention, usually the people that complain on forums the most (let's call them FW's) are the ones trying to just buy the loss-leaders, and not making the store much money. While I hate that they publically admitted to having angel and devil customers, it is a reality that (the best) bargain hunters don't give the store much of their money...

UAIOE
05-18-05, 03:50 AM
Best Buys that are even 6 months old, I have a hard time getting anybody to help me (the camera section is especially bad). It really does decrease with time. I don't know if the employees get bitter over people asking the same questions over and over, if they get lazy, or if the store just shifts focus because it's already got it's customers.

Maybe they just get tired of having numbers crammed down thier throat and how they will get written up/fired if the fail to meet them. Or they figured out working there is only worth it for the discount and nothing else really.

It's hard work to maintain a pleasant demeanor when working at a place like Best Buy considering there really isnt anything on Best Buy's part thats forcing you to be helpful and nice.

I never once had a meeting or anything that taught me how to treat a customer , it was always how to sell plans to a customer.

fujishig
05-18-05, 12:25 PM
Quick question, then... how do they track the numbers that you sell if you're not working in the big-ticket items like stoves or TVs? If you work in the DVD department, do they track the number of DVDs that sell and attribute that to the people working there? Even if that were so, wouldn't helping the customer help them sell product?

Of course, if BB would just put in some price scanners around the store or something, i wouldn't have to bother them half as much...

Dragon Fly
05-18-05, 12:34 PM
I had an experience like this when I went to buy my new WEGA. The freaking TV is like almost 100 pounds and I waited 20 minutes just to be told (rudely) to go to the front, get a cart and do it myself. I sent an email to their customer care complaining and all I got was a form letter basically saying "Yeah, sorry we suck. We'll work on that."

Seriously thinking twice before going back there for big purchases after this.

UAIOE
05-18-05, 03:00 PM
Quick question, then... how do they track the numbers that you sell if you're not working in the big-ticket items like stoves or TVs? If you work in the DVD department, do they track the number of DVDs that sell and attribute that to the people working there? Even if that were so, wouldn't helping the customer help them sell product?

When i was there they didnt track the # of DVD's because cd's and DVD's aren't items that you make lot of money on....they kept track of how many video game accessories and CD/DVD storage cases you sold.

Now you would think "Hey, you can track this by seeing how many of those items were scanned at a register"

WRONG!

We had a set "quota" of how much of that junk we were supposed to sell per hour and *WE* had to write down, on a piece of paper we carried around, how much the item was we "sold" to people. If we saw someone walking around with some storage or whatever that we didn't "sell" them we were to guess how much the item was and write it down.

I don't know if they still do this...but before i quit they were doing this and always asking me how much of that shit i sold. Hopefully they learned to track that stuff via registers.

dvdirv
05-18-05, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Mopower]Why the hell did you even give them the receipt? You should have said you got it as a gift and didn't have the receipt. Then they would have exchanged it no problems. Instead you try to pass off an item that is 4 months old and get angry when they won't exchange it? You're a genius.[/QUOTE

I accidentally found a second copy of a CD I purchased (with shrink wrap and BB sticker on it) and said it was a gift (I couldn't find the receipt). Their Customer Service person said I had to have a receipt even to get credit and they asked me to go to the person who gave me the "gift" and have them give me their receipt.

I have learned that with BB, it doesn't matter how many purchases you make with them, they prefer not to make exceptions--although they do it all the time at their own discretion.

So what does that say about their return or exchange policy? :confused:

chanster
05-19-05, 12:34 AM
Just wait untill after Christmas. Take it back then.

BigDan
05-19-05, 01:42 PM
While this basic logic looks correct there is much more to it than that. You need to take into consideration the cost Best Buy puts out as a company to attract new customers to their store. At the fiscal end of 2004 that average cost was about $537 worth of advertising per new customer. Out of those customers 4 in 5 will spend less than $100 a month. (the other two will spend significantly more) So our boycotting customer fits into the latter category so Best Buy will have to spend $2685 (Number of new customers x cost of each new customer) to recruit this level of customer back. Not to mention there is at least a few people who will invariably boycott Best Buy by reading this thread for who knows what reasons. So if only three other customers boycott that can cost Besy Buy up to $10,000 to recoup these losses.

By your calculations, the Best Buy manager not only should have exchanged the DVD, but he should've thrown in a free Plasma TV and would've still come out ahead.

If that's the true cost, then no matter how crazy the request (and reading some of the Best Buy Sucks stories, people have some crazy requests from time to time), the store would be stupid not to go for it. I may try for the Plasma next time I get a bum DVD. (And if I don't get it, I'm boycotting).

The problem with this, though, is that to be a good customer, you have to know the people who work there. You can actually accomplish this without being a good customer and could be a very good customer and never have the store employees know you by name.

I mean, I very likely contributed more to Best Buy's profits when I bought two televisions and two VCRs one day than a person who buys a DVD a week at the store. But that person is more likely to have the employees remember him, since he's there 52 times a year, even though he's not as good a customer as I was despite my single trip to the store.

I don't deny that employees knowing the customer often helps in such situations, but having the employees know you doesn't necessarily make you a better customer than someone else (or even makes you a good customer at all).

This, to me, shows again why giving "good customers" better service is a very difficult prospect since it's really impossible to tell who the good customers are. And using something obvious (like the guy who buys 52 loss-leaders a year and nothing else getting better service because the staff recognizes him) has the potential to alienate some of the better customers.

Of course, like you've said, if you just give everybody a higher level of customer-oriented service, you don't have to make the distinction.

Gizmo
05-19-05, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Mopower]Why the hell did you even give them the receipt? You should have said you got it as a gift and didn't have the receipt. Then they would have exchanged it no problems. Instead you try to pass off an item that is 4 months old and get angry when they won't exchange it? You're a genius.[/QUOTE

I accidentally found a second copy of a CD I purchased (with shrink wrap and BB sticker on it) and said it was a gift (I couldn't find the receipt). Their Customer Service person said I had to have a receipt even to get credit and they asked me to go to the person who gave me the "gift" and have them give me their receipt.

I have learned that with BB, it doesn't matter how many purchases you make with them, they prefer not to make exceptions--although they do it all the time at their own discretion.

So what does that say about their return or exchange policy? :confused:

Yeah...and it states that you need the recipt not only on the ACTUAL recipt, but there is usually a HUGE billboard behind them which states a recipt is required. You think you are special why?

dvdirv
05-21-05, 08:29 AM
I don't think I'm "special." I just believe that most other vendors use a common sense approach to making exchanges in spite of their formal policies. After all, they want to keep their customers happy.

If you think BB is correct in adhering strictly to their return policies, why is it that after Christmas, they are more than willing to make exchanges that do not strictly adhere to their own policy?

BigDan
05-21-05, 11:11 AM
If you think BB is correct in adhering strictly to their return policies, why is it that after Christmas, they are more than willing to make exchanges that do not strictly adhere to their own policy?

It does adhere to their policy because the policy is to treat returns differently after Christmas. Those returns are not a manager making a decision to break policy like the manager was being asked to do in the original post.

Gizmo
05-21-05, 04:35 PM
I don't think I'm "special." I just believe that most other vendors use a common sense approach to making exchanges in spite of their formal policies. After all, they want to keep their customers happy.

Special policys are set after Christmas. Not only does Best Buy do this, but Target, Wal-Mart, Circuit City etc.

jaelliot
05-21-05, 07:47 PM
Best Buy is the worst store when it comes to using common sense to try and resolve a customers issues. If they want to burn their bridges when it comes to discarding customers let them. I still shop at Best Buy from time to time and I would suggest you still do as well, but like me limit your purchases to their products they sell from time to time as loss leaders. I would never spend any real money on a product that I may need some actual customer service on in the future. I would also not EVER buy any accessories there as that is one of the things they make their money on.

Gizmo
05-21-05, 08:44 PM
Best Buy is the worst store when it comes to using common sense to try and resolve a customers issues. If they want to burn their bridges when it comes to discarding customers let them. I still shop at Best Buy from time to time and I would suggest you still do as well, but like me limit your purchases to their products they sell from time to time as loss leaders. I would never spend any real money on a product that I may need some actual customer service on in the future. I would also not EVER buy any accessories there as that is one of the things they make their money on.

So, you don't want Best Buy to make any money, but will buy there items that are 'loss leaders'? You realize to offer items at such great discounts, they also need to make money on other things (like accessories). I would love for you to point me in the direction of a store that sells things for the price they buy them at, because last I checked, Circuit City, WalMart, Target all sell there accessories for roughly the same price.

jaelliot
05-21-05, 09:17 PM
You misunderstood my point. In my opinion Best Buy sucks, and I don't care if they go out of business, therefore rather than not shop there at all, I only go there to take advantage of their loss leaders and make it a point to not spend money on other items in their store, which defeats the purpose of their loss leaders and in my opinion hurts them more than not shopping there all together and at the very least allows me to always find the best deal when I am looking for a particular item. I advised the OP to not buy accessories because this is one of the areas that stores have the most mark up in, so rather than boycott, I advised buy loss leaders and do not buy things like accessories, or service contracts, etc.

cmatherne
05-22-05, 05:11 PM
If that's the true cost, then no matter how crazy the request (and reading some of the Best Buy Sucks stories, people have some crazy requests from time to time), the store would be stupid not to go for it. I may try for the Plasma next time I get a bum DVD. (And if I don't get it, I'm boycotting).

I am going to assume your joking with your last post because common sense crushes that arguement. We have said before that a returned DVD costs the store nothing because it goes back to the manufacter. ($0 cost to the store to exchange a DVD, amount it cost to give you a plasma? be reasonable.) Do you really believe Best Buy can write off a plasma TV or get credit back from the vendor.

By exchanging the DVD it keeps the store from having to recruit new customers.(This is the cost expenditure discussed earlier.) Do you really believe Best Buy should give a plasma TV away? This cost would come directly out of the bottom line. This negates the original cost to recruit new customers we talked about earlier.

fujishig
05-23-05, 12:56 PM
Wow. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., are basically going against their policy after Xmas to appease the customers, and people are calling them to task over it. It really is an example of giving an inch, and the customer wanting to take a mile. Which, of course, is why they shouldn't break policy regularly, because then everyone feels "entitled" to it.

I'm 99.999% sure that BigDan was joking about the Plasma thing... geez.

His point was you said that it cost BB about 2685 per "good" customer. so even though the DVD example costs them nothing, if they gave away a plasma that costs less than 2685, they would still come out ahead.

Anyway, what you're suggesting is customer profiling to find out which customers are "good" and buying up stuff that makes Best Buy profits, as opposed to "bad" customers that either buy only loss leaders or don't buy much at all, and giving different level of service to different customers. Which is, of course, what Best Buy has admitted to trying to do with it's angels and devils list, which has angered most of the people on this board anyway.

renaldow
05-24-05, 12:57 AM
I've been following this thread, as I always do with threads like it. I think stores need to be taken to task when they mess up. I also think the customer needs to be taken to task when they mess up as well.

Bad discs (or anyother product for that matter) aside, people need to take more responsibility as a consumer. There are tons of threads about the best price, but how many people actually do a lot of research on products like a/v equipment before they buy it? By the amount of people that complain about employees not knowing much or being unhelpful, I'm guessing not many.

IMHO, you shouldn't buy a piece of equipment until you've read as much as you can about it and have already compared it to competing items. That way, when you go into the store, all you have to do is grab a blue shirt, pull the finger out of his nose, and tell him to go get you the item. If there's something new in the store you hadn't seen or considered and want to know more about it, there are PC's all over the store where you can look up the product at the BB site and get a full range of specs and some reviews. That's usually enough to either make you disregard it, or decide you want to find out more, which of course would lead to more research on that product.

I love BB, CC, and just about any other large, discount electronics store. But then I can't remember the last time I ever had to return anything (let alone electronics) to a store. Again, because when I buy something I know what I'm buying and why, and knock on wood, I've been lucky enough so far that I haven't gotten a lemon.

And I highly suggest reading a store's return/refund policy before buying anything there. To me, it's kind of like a licensing agreement in that if I buy anything from that store, I'm agreeing to abide by their returns policy.

That said, I have loads of sympathy for anyone who ends up buying something broken or otherwise unusable. I had my fair share of that kind of thing years ago, which is why I research products and open up all of my DVDs now, even if it's something I'm not going to watch in the near future. I think that is the main reason I have so little problems now.

jaelliot
05-24-05, 02:55 AM
you now want to hurt them in any way possible? How pathetic.

Pathetic? Did I say I want to hurt them in any way possible? I am exercising my right as a consumer to shop where and how I please. Am I doing or advocating anything illegal? Why should I show any loyalty or favoritism to Best Buy? Do they show the same to their customers? No they do not. It is all about the bottom line for them and so I follow their lead and do the same. If by doing so it puts Best Buy out of business and therefore the employees is that my fault or Best Buys fault for not having a business model that works? If the fact that they are a bunch of mindless dickheads who canít see that sometimes common sense needs to be applied to a situation in order to satisfy a customer who wants nothing more than to be treated fairly, puts them out of business, too Fíing bad. I have worked in customer service for a number of companies including Best Buy and they were the worst when it came to respecting the customer. Why should I go in there and purchase all of my new appliances or other big ticket items, when I know from personal experience that if I have a problem in the future I can expect a hearty screw you buddy. Therefore, I stick to small purchases that are good deals and if they donít like it they can ask me to not shop there anymore. You think I am pathetic? You are the pathetic one in my opinion. What shall we do, put Best Buy on some kind of government program for welfare to help them stay in business because darn it they just canít seem to make any money. I doubt Best Buy needs your pity. I am sure that the small number of like minded people as myself are not putting too much of a dent in their profit margin.

Gizmo
05-24-05, 11:16 AM
Wow, still whining going on about not returning an item 5 months after buying it....wahhh! I wish they did get rid of the Christmas return period and make you keep all those crappy gifts your relatives gave you and now 'can't find the recipt' to.

MrE
05-24-05, 04:02 PM
:toast:

jaelliot
05-24-05, 04:17 PM
I wish they did get rid of the Christmas return period and make you keep all those crappy gifts your relatives gave you and now 'can't find the recipt' to.

I wish your parents would have choosen not to have kids.

Why not go thread crap somewhere else? If you are more than happy to eat a shit sandwich when one is shoved in your face, that is your choice, just don't breathe in mine.

Gizmo
05-25-05, 01:30 AM
I wish your parents would have choosen not to have kids.

Why not go thread crap somewhere else? If you are more than happy to eat a shit sandwich when one is shoved in your face, that is your choice, just don't breathe in mine.

:nopics:

dvdirv
05-25-05, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=jaelliot]Why should I show any loyalty or favoritism to Best Buy? Do they show the same to their customers? No they do not. It is all about the bottom line for them and so I follow their lead and do the same.

Thank you, jaelliot! Best Buy's worst problem is that they do not see the long range view of their business and their customer's loyalty to them. All they see is that a particular return/exchange violates their official policy and cannot do the return.

If they took a long view instead of the usual short term, they would see that in order to keep customers happy, they need to view a return on a case-by-case basis. Other retailers do this all the time!

I guess they just don't care about losing customers! :confused:

H@mmer
05-25-05, 08:20 PM
DONT EVER BUY DVDS AND NOT WATCH THEM BEFORE YOUR RETURN PERIOD IS UP. That goes double for FOX DVDs, they were late to the DVD game in the first place and have a known history on these multiple disc sets, like the Aliens box set. You know Best Buy are hard asses on returns, let alone 4 monthes later, it's what half the BEST BUY SUXS threads are about. If you want to roll the dice get DVDs from circuit city and pay the $2 insurance, then you have up to a year or so. Either way after the return period, is up you have to deal with the manufacturer, who probably is not on the warhunt against 'bad' customers like BB has PUBLICLY stated they are. It was obviously no idle threat

BigDan
05-25-05, 09:17 PM
You know Best Buy are hard asses on returns, let alone 4 monthes later, it's what half the BEST BUY SUXS threads are about.

And the other half are about the extended service agreements.

Brent L
05-25-05, 09:54 PM
Wall Mart never gives me any trouble bringing DVDs back without a reciept.

Oh yeah. WalMart's return policy is easier to take advantage of than a nervous seventeen year-old at her Junior Prom.

Not that I've ever done either though. :O

I'll never understand why WalMart has such a system in place. They seemingly DO have rules, but I've never had anyone actually follow them when checking me out. Not that I mind though, it makes things easier when you lose a reciept or something.

paulringodaman
05-25-05, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah. WalMart's return policy is easier to take advantage of than a nervous seventeen year-old at her Junior Prom.

I'll never understand why WalMart has such a system in place. They seemingly DO have rules, but I've never had anyone actually follow them when checking me out. Not that I mind though, it makes things easier when you lose a reciept or something.

I was with a Wal Mart assistant manager (a friend of mine) when a guy, who had returned 4 Gamecubes in 6 days was returning one once again. (without a receipt) The manager did not care, try to ask a question or anything. He said that with no emotion.

I had a good experience with BB. I bought all 9 seasons of friends back in March. Recently, Disc 3, Season 7 was skipping in all my players. I told the manager this, and at first he hesitated, but after a second, approved it. I guess 2 months is different than 4 months (and I had 36 DVDs to watch).

eau
05-26-05, 12:50 AM
I had a good experience with BB. I bought all 9 seasons of friends back in March. Recently, Disc 3, Season 7 was skipping in all my players. I told the manager this, and at first he hesitated, but after a second, approved it. I guess 2 months is different than 4 months (and I had 36 DVDs to watch).
At least that manager has common sense. 9seasons of Friends DVD boxsets on one receipt, how on earth one would actually sit through all of them within the 30 day return policy period.

glassdragon
05-30-05, 02:27 AM
I don't understand all of the complaints. Aside from the employees they are great to me. I got Beyond Good and Evil for christmas 2 years ago for pc. Well at the time there was a bug on the pc one that would not let you get further than about 8 hours into the game and ubisoft was NOT going to fix it they said (nice eh?) anyways I took it back to best buy with the receipt and it was OPENED, and they approved it there on the spot. They are not supposed to take back pc software opened, but i explained about the bug and they said sure.

al_bundy
05-30-05, 10:15 PM

wal mart is big enough where they can eat the cost of returns and not blink an eye. BB is a lot smaller than wal mart and returns cost it more money.

fujishig
05-31-05, 02:51 PM
wal mart is big enough where they can eat the cost of returns and not blink an eye. BB is a lot smaller than wal mart and returns cost it more money.

Not only that, but Walmart's corporate policy is to link all returns without receipt to some form of ID (I think your driver's license number) so that you can only return things without a receipt at any walmart a few times a year. So whatever store the poster was talking about was not following corporate policy.

Goat3001
05-31-05, 04:21 PM
To all the boycotters/haters of the policies:

You do realize that the percent of customers that ask Best Buy to break policy is very small, right?

When the typical Best Buy customer buys a DVD he usually watches it within the 30 day time frame. Its only the collectors that wait past the 30 days to view their DVD. And the collectors make up a very small fraction of customers. Hell a lot of collectors don't shop for DVD's at Best Buy anyway.

If they changed to a case by case basis that would lead to a lot more unhappy customers. If customer A wants to exchange a DVD and Best Buy lets him based on things such as previous purchases and customer B wants to do the same exchange but Best Buy won't let him, then customer B is going to be very pissed and will feel like he was blackballed by Best Buy and would greatly decrease the likelihood of customer B shopping there again.

However, same scenario with a policy. Neither customer A or B can return they're products. MOST customers will say, damn I missed the return window, but will still return to Best Buy as long as prices remain competitive. Its only a small amount of people that bitch about a policy that they were well aware about before they made their purchase.

I, for one, always pick up new releases at Best Buy. The prices are usually the same as Circuit City. At Best Buy I can use my reward zone card. I never had a problem with returning merchandise.When I choose to shop at Best Buy I choose their policy and stick to it.

jaelliot
06-01-05, 03:32 PM
To all the boycotters/haters of the policies:

You do realize that the percent of customers that ask Best Buy to break policy is very small, right?

I guess it is all how you look at the customers. When I worked at Amazon.com, I told on more than once by various supervisors that the percent of people that contact us back with a problem is so small that it only makes sense to make reasonable exceptions in favor of the customer. Not that Amazon is perfect, but with an attitude like that they obviously "get it" when it comes to customer service and Best Buy, doesn't. I worked for both places.... and I can tell you the respect that is given to customers is night and day..... I worked for both places about the same amount of time but with Best Buy I actually worked in two different stores and was able to travel to a number of other stores. I have also worked for other companies in retail and customer service one thing I KNOW for a fact. Exceptions need to be made at times..... Exceptions based on fairness and common sense..... That being said, I still shop at Best Buy, I just do so with my eyes wide open and I would never buy anything of value there that I might need future assistance on.

I plan to buy a new riding lawnmower in the next few days and later this summer all new appliances in my kitchen. I always give Sears the first chance for my business when it comes to items like this, because of past experiences I have had with them in resolving issues for me. Obviously Best Buy does not sell lawn mowers but you can bet I will not be buying appliances from them based on past experiences of mine and other people.

I can remember when a store tried to earn your business.. Now it seems most stores are happy to throw their merchandise out on the floor and let the consumer root through it like pigs at a trough.

Goat3001
06-01-05, 11:09 PM
I guess it is all how you look at the customers. When I worked at Amazon.com, I told on more than once by various supervisors that the percent of people that contact us back with a problem is so small that it only makes sense to make reasonable exceptions in favor of the customer. Not that Amazon is perfect, but with an attitude like that they obviously "get it" when it comes to customer service and Best Buy, doesn't. I worked for both places.... and I can tell you the respect that is given to customers is night and day..... I worked for both places about the same amount of time but with Best Buy I actually worked in two different stores and was able to travel to a number of other stores. I have also worked for other companies in retail and customer service one thing I KNOW for a fact. Exceptions need to be made at times..... Exceptions based on fairness and common sense..... That being said, I still shop at Best Buy, I just do so with my eyes wide open and I would never buy anything of value there that I might need future assistance on.

You make a good point. I never thought of it that way. In regards to how customers are dealt with I see little differance then the few BB's I've been to compared to the CC's I've been to. Granted, I rarely ask for any help. The only time I ask is if I need them to physically get something for me. I never have had a problem with that. Like I said before when returning items I've never had a problem.

Either way, my bottom line remains the same. You know Best Buy's policy before buying and if you don't like it don't go there. You can always price match at any Circuit City, Wal-Mart or Target. Wal-Mart and Target break their policy all the time and CC has a don't ask don't tell policy (at least they used to). If those are more suited for you shop there. If you dislike Best Buy's policy then fine, you can boycott them, you can even post on message boards about it. But I think its absurd to be pissed off when they don't break it for you.

Here's a Best Buy horror story that is actually worth bitching about: A friend of mine broke his cell phone. He bought it from Best Buy and he got their extended plan. The plan said that if he broke his phone within 2 years they would replace it. This was less than a year so we went to Best Buy to get him a new one. We got to customer service and they said that they were no longer allowed to make the exchange. Something to do with Sprint, I really don't know. They recommended that he call Sprint. He paid $40 for this plan, and they didn't come through with their promise of replacing it when broken. He was furious but politely asked them to make the exchange because he paid for the warrenty before the fact, and they couldn't do it. He then requested his $40 back because they did not hold up their part on the warrenty. They refused that too. Now this is something to be mad about, not getting pissed when you knowingly broke policy.

jaelliot
06-01-05, 11:46 PM
That is a terrible experience.... I guess in my view policies are made to cover the store's ass so they don't get taken advantage of by people with ill intentions and the ability to overide policy is in the managers hand for those times when it is warranted. I do see the point of those who say, you know the policy, be prepared to live by it, I just think sometimes it is taken to extreme by store personel and in my opinion BB is one of the worst culprits.

Dragon Fly
06-02-05, 01:56 PM
Add me to the list of Best Buy boycotters. I just placed an order for a dvd through their website and realized that I hadn't updated my shipping address since my move. So after speaking with a representative literally 2 minutes after placing my order I was told it entered the shipping process and there was nothing that could be done about it. Even the supervisor told me "sorry, it's your fault for not updating your address. You'll have to contact someone where you used to live to get your order then."

Which is amusing, because I have no way to do that (like I told Best Buy). I told them that unless they have lightning fast robots picking up dvds, wrapping them in boxes and bringing them to the post office they could change my shipping address for the order. To which I essentially got a "go screw". Oh well, I will be disputing this order with my credit card and sent BB a nasty email. Bottom line is Best Buy has no customer service what-so-ever.

dtcarson
06-02-05, 02:05 PM
"He paid $40 for this plan, and they didn't come through with their promise of replacing it when broken. He was furious but politely asked them to make the exchange because he paid for the warrenty before the fact, and they couldn't do it. He then requested his $40 back because they did not hold up their part on the warrenty. They refused that too. Now this is something to be mad about, not getting pissed when you knowingly broke policy.'

Yes, I'd pitch a fit about that. Your friend may be asking them to break policy by giving the cash back, but hey, THEY broke their own policy first. I don't care what happened to their relationship with Sprint, I bought the plan from Best Buy, and it's up to them to make it good. If they won't follow through with their part of the contract, your friend shouldn't have to either.

Gizmo
06-02-05, 02:55 PM
Add me to the list of Best Buy boycotters. I just placed an order for a dvd through their website and realized that I hadn't updated my shipping address since my move. So after speaking with a representative literally 2 minutes after placing my order I was told it entered the shipping process and there was nothing that could be done about it. Even the supervisor told me "sorry, it's your fault for not updating your address. You'll have to contact someone where you used to live to get your order then."

Which is amusing, because I have no way to do that (like I told Best Buy). I told them that unless they have lightning fast robots picking up dvds, wrapping them in boxes and bringing them to the post office they could change my shipping address for the order. To which I essentially got a "go screw". Oh well, I will be disputing this order with my credit card and sent BB a nasty email. Bottom line is Best Buy has no customer service what-so-ever.

Ive never ordered from BestBuy.com, but does it state anywhere that In-Stock items ship immediatley, therefore no changes? I no a few online retailers do this.

Dragon Fly
06-02-05, 03:17 PM
Ive never ordered from BestBuy.com, but does it state anywhere that In-Stock items ship immediatley, therefore no changes? I no a few online retailers do this.
It doesn't state that, it says once an order has entered the shipping process there can be no alterations, but it says that before that happens you can change address, cancel or do whatever. There's nothing that states it happens immediately.... I just don't get it!

tasha99
06-02-05, 10:16 PM
Here's a Best Buy horror story that is actually worth bitching about: A friend of mine broke his cell phone. He bought it from Best Buy and he got their extended plan. The plan said that if he broke his phone within 2 years they would replace it. This was less than a year so we went to Best Buy to get him a new one. We got to customer service and they said that they were no longer allowed to make the exchange. Something to do with Sprint, I really don't know. They recommended that he call Sprint. He paid $40 for this plan, and they didn't come through with their promise of replacing it when broken. He was furious but politely asked them to make the exchange because he paid for the warrenty before the fact, and they couldn't do it. He then requested his $40 back because they did not hold up their part on the warrenty. They refused that too. Now this is something to be mad about, not getting pissed when you knowingly broke policy.

Sounds to me like Best Buy committed fraud there--and even if they had given your friend a refund, they still were fraudulent. They owe a refund to everyone who bought that service, even those who never needed a repair or replacement. Just refunding those who needed a repair would be like selling insurance and refunding policies that submitted claims.

BigDan
06-03-05, 01:03 AM
That is a terrible experience.... I guess in my view policies are made to cover the store's ass so they don't get taken advantage of by people with ill intentions and the ability to overide policy is in the managers hand for those times when it is warranted. I do see the point of those who say, you know the policy, be prepared to live by it, I just think sometimes it is taken to extreme by store personel and in my opinion BB is one of the worst culprits.

Being the former spouse of a retail store manager, I got the impression that stores have policies because they don't want their managers to make decisions. At least in my former wife's stores, the store manager position was an administrative one, not a decision-making one. There was very, very little left for the manager to decide.

And knowing some store managers, it's best they weren't trusted to make decisions on their own.

jaelliot
06-03-05, 01:54 AM
Being the former spouse of a retail store manager, I got the impression that stores have policies because they don't want their managers to make decisions. At least in my former wife's stores, the store manager position was an administrative one, not a decision-making one. There was very, very little left for the manager to decide.

And knowing some store managers, it's best they weren't trusted to make decisions on their own.

I can't comment on where your wife worked but I've worked for Best Buy, H.H. Gregg and Amazon.com and a University Bookstore selling computers and of course I am an educated shopper who has had to speak with a manager of various other retail stores and from my work and shopping experiences the store manager always had the ability to make exceptions.

Dragon Fly
06-03-05, 02:01 AM
I can't comment on where your wife worked but I've worked for Best Buy, H.H. Gregg and Amazon.com and a University Bookstore selling computers and of course I am an educated shopper who has had to speak with a manager of various other retail stores and from my work and shopping experiences the store manager always had the ability to make exceptions.
While it's not retail experience, I've been a manager at a bar and restaurant for about 4 years now. The manager always has the ability to do whatever it takes to get that customer to leave happy and to come back again, no matter what the policy. If the manager refuses to bend the policy then that is an example of a poor manager, unless he has been specifically ordered by his superiors not to do so, then it's a companies problem.

mzupeman2
08-11-05, 06:32 AM
I'm surprised at how many people have been negative in a thread like this. Seriously. I don't think it's any secret that Best Buy really is a poor company when it comes to customer service... period. I feel for the guy here.

I purchased the entire Twilight Zone collection (the five box sets with the episodes not in season order). Eventually near the end of the set, I had a disc that was scratched and wouldn't play properly at all. When you have THAT MUCH to watch, and obviously, you gave them a hefty amount of business that day and therefore they should assume you probably spend a bit of money there quite often... a thirty day policy is just bananas and is a little strict when watching five box sets worth of tv episodes in thirty days is just not possible. If you have a normal life and hold a full time job, it's just not. There were 45+ volumes to watch in those sets!

I mean, if you hold onto a receipt for that long just in case, you have proven you purchased it there. I mean sure, wear and tear could be caused by the consumer after thirty days, but there's nothing saying that a consumer can't do it WITHIN thirty days as well. And as long as they're looking for the same item and not store credit, the store will be reimbursed anyways! What possible harm could it do to just replace the damaged DVD? When it's sent back for reimbursement as a damaged product, what will the company care? They won't. There's nothing for the consumer to gain, merely by replacing a disc.

Now, if this guy didn't buy an over-abundance of DVD's all at once, I'd understand. I'd say, hey buddy, you could have watched a single trilogy in a month, but that wasn't the case. If he spent that much money in one trip, Best Buy should assume that he quite possibly spends a lot of money there on a consistant basis. But Best Buy isn't one of those stores that recognizes some of its top paying customers, instead, they make you PAY to be recognized and earn discounts via the Rewards Zone card, which is rediculous... but I won't complain too much about that because I am still saving tons of money at the end of every year.

CaptDS9E
08-11-05, 07:46 AM
I dont know why but I never seem to have a problem returning stuff at any store including bestbuy

capt

Mr. Cinema
11-15-05, 02:54 PM
I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. I think I'm done buying dvds from Best Buy. At least the ones that are for myself.

I bought the first Harry Potter today. It was on sale for $7.99. I got to my car with it to check for scratches, etc. Well, there was a huge fingerprint on it. So I go back to return it. They only had 3 widescreen copies left, so I took them all with me to customer service, in case the other copies are bad. Well, unfortunately, the first 2 were scratched. I opened them at the counter. After I showed her the second one was scratched, she said with the usual Best Buy attitude: "This is the last one I'm returning".

At that point, I went from good mood to pissed. I explained to her that when I purchase a new dvd, I want it in new condition. And then she goes off about how if it plays, it doesn't matter. And I told her it matters to me, the customer. So finally I got my way and opened the last one. It was laying off the case, and I pointed that out to her. It was in pretty good shape and I said "I'll settle for this one."

But her attitude is what made it worse. They try to make you feel like you're doing something wrong in returning something. If she hadn't let me open the last copy, I was going to ask for the mgr. I understand how retail works, I used to be a store manager. I also understand that you try to limit your returns, but you have to treat the customer with respect and make them happy. She did neither.

So, after that hassle, I think I'm not going to buy any dvds for myself from there, for fear I'd have to exchange it. Circuit City is easier on exchanges, so I'll just get them there. I'm a reward zone member, so I'll lose out on the exclusive deals, but I don't want to go through that crap again.

I'm sure someone can relate to this...

cverneau
11-16-05, 07:53 AM
FUCK Best Buy!!!!
Last week I ordered Chicken Run (DTS Version) for my daughter and paid for it fully with the Best Buy Bucks from McDonalds.
I received it yesterday, and they sent the regular (non-DTS) version when all of the paperwork, including the packing slip, said DTS version.
I called the 1-888 number and got some woman who couldn't speak english very well on the line. She said to return it to my local Best Buy and get the DTS version with an exchange.
I went to the store, explained the situation & gave them the paperwork and the dvd. They told me that because I paid for it fully with Best Buy Bucks, they could not refund my money. She said that once you use Best Buy Bucks for an order, you lose them and you can't be credited back for them. I said I didn't want a refund - I wanted to exchange the version I received for the version I ordered. The woman said she couldn't do this and the best they could do was take the version I had and let me purchase the DTS version with a $3 credit (the max amount of Best Buy Bucks you can use on a DVD in the store). The other customers around me couldn't believe what she was saying, but she wouldn't budge.
I then asked for a manager. The manager was just as aggravating as she was and stuck by the decision.
I then just grabbed the disc off the counter and walked out of the store.
Their "Customer Service" is an oxymoron. Those two words should not be used in the same sentence, let alone next to each other when talking about Best Buy.

Rant over............... :hairpull:

Mopower
11-16-05, 08:45 AM
FUCK Best Buy!!!!
Last week I ordered Chicken Run (DTS Version) for my daughter and paid for it fully with the Best Buy Bucks from McDonalds.
I received it yesterday, and they sent the regular (non-DTS) version when all of the paperwork, including the packing slip, said DTS version.
I called the 1-888 number and got some woman who couldn't speak english very well on the line. She said to return it to my local Best Buy and get the DTS version with an exchange.
I went to the store, explained the situation & gave them the paperwork and the dvd. They told me that because I paid for it fully with Best Buy Bucks, they could not refund my money. She said that once you use Best Buy Bucks for an order, you lose them and you can't be credited back for them. I said I didn't want a refund - I wanted to exchange the version I received for the version I ordered. The woman said she couldn't do this and the best they could do was take the version I had and let me purchase the DTS version with a $3 credit (the max amount of Best Buy Bucks you can use on a DVD in the store). The other customers around me couldn't believe what she was saying, but she wouldn't budge.
I then asked for a manager. The manager was just as aggravating as she was and stuck by the decision.
I then just grabbed the disc off the counter and walked out of the store.
Their "Customer Service" is an oxymoron. Those two words should not be used in the same sentence, let alone next to each other when talking about Best Buy.

Rant over............... :hairpull:

Well in a few days go back in and tell them it was a gift and you want to exchange it. Problem solved. DON'T MENTION THE BEST BUY BUCKS.

cverneau
11-16-05, 09:27 AM
I've tried to return something to them one other time in the past without a receipt.
They absolutely refuse to do this unless you have a receipt.......

Numanoid
11-16-05, 09:32 AM
I recently had an interesting exchange with a Best Buy "manager" (I place that in quotes, becuase apparently they don't have the power to actually make managerial decisions).

I had a couple of Reward Zone coupons, one for $10 and one for $5. I grabbed a DVD priced at $14.99. Now, I had done this twice in the past at another area Best Buy, and both times the 16 year-old cashier simply manually added a penny to the price to make it all work. Well, this cashier told me that she couldn't use both of the coupons because they the total would have to be $15 and mine was only $14.99. Fine, I understand the policy and it wasn't like I couldn't keep the coupon for use later.

It just so happened that the manager was right there, so the girl asked him to clarify if that was true. He did. I took the opportunity to tell him how at the other location they would routinely just add a penny and do the deal. He claimed that was "wrong" and shouldn't be done. As a former retail manager, and now an I.T. manager, I was interested in delving into this guy's logic. I said that I am giving you permission to charge me an extra penny, what is the harm in that? He said again that it was "wrong". I asked him, "Who is being harmed in this transaction?" His answer: "The system is being harmed." :eek:

I retorted incredulously, "The System?!...The System is being harmed?! So let me get this straight...you'd rather irritate your customers than offend your "System" which doesn't actually have any feelings, huh?" At that point he just says, "Sir, I'm not going to do it!"

Fine, I hadn't counted on him doing it anyway, but the insight into his thinking was very revealing. It strikes me as very amusing that the 16 year-old cashier at the other store has a better sense of how to please the customer than the store manager at this location - all because he didn't want to offend the "System". :lol:

And to top it all off, they mucked up the scanning of the coupons, so the next time I tried to use the one they refused, it had marked it as already used. Fortunately, I was at the other location (where they seemed to be trained to actually please people) and they understood my story and let me use it.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
11-16-05, 09:35 AM
they don't give a shit unless you're buying big ticket items.

Mr. Cinema
11-16-05, 10:35 AM
Well, if Best Buy is cheaper on movies, which is rare, I'm just gonna price match. I think once I get the rest of my reward zone certificates, I'm going to cut up my card and not shop there again. Walmart and Circuit City never hassle me over anything.

What's sad is they make such a big fuss over returning anything, no matter how small the value is. They have a great selection of products, better than the other 2 stores I mentioned. But at least when I have to exchange something at CC or Walmart, I know I won't have to go through hell to do it. And I also know I won't have to go through the "did you know you can get free magazine subscriptions" sales pitch EVERY TIME I CHECK OUT.

EdTheRipper
11-16-05, 10:49 AM
I had a minor incident at Best Buy last week. I purchased some dvds and a couple of cds. For some reason, the price seemed high for what I'd bought. I didn't think much of it and went home. Upon getting home, I checked the receipt closely and found that I'd been double-charged for a cd. We called the store and were told to bring the receipt in and we'd get our money back for the mistake. When we got to the store, it became a huge production. It required managerial approval, a call to loss prevention, etc...all told I'd say we spent about 15 minutes to get $9.45 back in store credit.

fumanstan
11-16-05, 10:54 AM
FUCK Best Buy!!!!

A little off topic, but I thought all the versions of Chicken Run were the same? I know my disc under the "Dreamworks Animation" banner doesn't list DTS on the back but has it listed on the actual disc itself.

Just thinking it would be silly if your disc actually had DTS the whole time.

mzupeman2
11-16-05, 11:26 AM
FUCK Best Buy!!!!

If you ask me, I'd consider yourself lucky. They're only supposed to take three Best Buy Mcdonalds 'dollars' per DVD.

cverneau
11-16-05, 12:03 PM
A little off topic, but I thought all the versions of Chicken Run were the same? I know my disc under the "Dreamworks Animation" banner doesn't list DTS on the back but has it listed on the actual disc itself.

I just called home and had my wife open the dvd after reading this.
You are correct!! On the dvd itself it says DTS-ES!!
the back of the case does not list this and there are two seperate versions listed on everyone's website: DTS version and the one with the "Dreamworks" banner across the top which doesn't say DTS on the back.
Why are there still two seperate versions (different artwork) out there if the content is the same??
(Sorry to get off topic)

Back on topic - I still can't stand Best Buy!!

renaldow
11-16-05, 12:58 PM
rotfl

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
11-16-05, 01:30 PM
why do people even boycott best buy? they don't want your business anyway. if you only go there to buy DVDs, I'd suggest to keep going there in an effort to piss them off.

obladioblada
11-20-05, 11:59 PM
I ordered an Entertaiment Armoire from them in early September for a discounted price on the website. It was actually $500.00 at one time in the store. By the time I ordered it it was only $99.99. To this day I have yet to receive it. 3 monthes later still no item. The shipping company says it is on back order, but the company that produces them says they have plenty available. I have seen them sell on the internet for over $800.00 and I just figure BestBuy will never send it because it will cost them more than I paid to sell it to me. My "confirmed shipment" date has changed 8 times. BB CSR's suck at this point I dont waste my time with them. Anyway probably will never order from BB online again.

rennervision
11-30-05, 04:48 PM
I just got back from Best Buy, and I'm not sure if I'm more mad at them, or mad at myself for believing what I suspect is B.S. Two weeks ago I purchased an MSNTV2 internet box for my grandmother priced at $199. Today it was listed on their own website for $189, so I approached the customer service desk with my receipt and asked the CR for a credit of the price difference. (This is supposedly allowed under their price guarantee where they claim to credit the difference for competitor's prices within 30 days of purchase.)

The guy told me his "system" wouldn't allow it since it was an internet price, and if he tried to force it, it would cause me to lose my $100 rebate. We debated this for a couple of minutes since I told him the rebate was still valid even at $189 and he wasn't honoring his price guarantee. He said he was honoring it - I just couldn't get the $10 price difference and the rebate.

Now I'm kicking myself, because I doublechecked and realized this rebate comes from Microsoft - not Best Buy. I know Microsoft owns the world, but how the heck would they know (or care) if I got $10 back from Best Buy. Did I just fall for the lamest bluff ever???

renaldow
11-30-05, 07:20 PM
Did I just fall for the lamest bluff ever???

Since the rebate comes directly from MS and not Best Buy, yes. Also, right on the Best Buy website it says it's got the $100 rebate for the $189 price.

Whenever I run up against people saying something like this, I ask them to explain the reason why. If they're idiots or full of BS, they usually cannot.

Sekots
11-30-05, 07:41 PM
I just got back from Best Buy, and I'm not sure if I'm more mad at them, or mad at myself for believing what I suspect is B.S. Two weeks ago I purchased an MSNTV2 internet box for my grandmother priced at $199. Today it was listed on their own website for $189, so I approached the customer service desk with my receipt and asked the CR for a credit of the price difference. (This is supposedly allowed under their price guarantee where they claim to credit the difference for competitor's prices within 30 days of purchase.)

The guy told me his "system" wouldn't allow it since it was an internet price, and if he tried to force it, it would cause me to lose my $100 rebate. We debated this for a couple of minutes since I told him the rebate was still valid even at $189 and he wasn't honoring his price guarantee. He said he was honoring it - I just couldn't get the $10 price difference and the rebate.

Now I'm kicking myself, because I doublechecked and realized this rebate comes from Microsoft - not Best Buy. I know Microsoft owns the world, but how the heck would they know (or care) if I got $10 back from Best Buy. Did I just fall for the lamest bluff ever???
Having working at Best Buy customer service before this is somewhat true, the computers do give you a tough time when you do try to price match a item that has a rebate. What we did before to get around the computers is just return the item and have the person rebuy it. It worked in most situations.

rennervision
11-30-05, 09:10 PM
On my way home I stopped at a different Best Buy. This time the CSR asked me if the rebate was through them or the manufacturer. He even doublechecked to verify it was a manufacturer rebate, then credited the price difference. It sure seems like I have the hardest time getting them to honor online coupons, price match competitors, etc. - but at least this latest adventure ended well.

fourwalker
12-01-05, 07:25 AM
I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. I think I'm done buying dvds from Best Buy. At least the ones that are for myself.

I bought the first Harry Potter today. It was on sale for $7.99. I got to my car with it to check for scratches, etc. Well, there was a huge fingerprint on it. So I go back to return it. They only had 3 widescreen copies left, so I took them all with me to customer service, in case the other copies are bad. Well, unfortunately, the first 2 were scratched. I opened them at the counter. After I showed her the second one was scratched, she said with the usual Best Buy attitude: "This is the last one I'm returning".

At that point, I went from good mood to pissed. I explained to her that when I purchase a new dvd, I want it in new condition. And then she goes off about how if it plays, it doesn't matter. And I told her it matters to me, the customer. So finally I got my way and opened the last one. It was laying off the case, and I pointed that out to her. It was in pretty good shape and I said "I'll settle for this one."

But her attitude is what made it worse. They try to make you feel like you're doing something wrong in returning something. If she hadn't let me open the last copy, I was going to ask for the mgr. I understand how retail works, I used to be a store manager. I also understand that you try to limit your returns, but you have to treat the customer with respect and make them happy. She did neither.

So, after that hassle, I think I'm not going to buy any dvds for myself from there, for fear I'd have to exchange it. Circuit City is easier on exchanges, so I'll just get them there. I'm a reward zone member, so I'll lose out on the exclusive deals, but I don't want to go through that crap again.

Wait, so you're pissed off because the Best Buy person did not want you to open all of their DVDs in the store. When you were a retail manager would you have allowed a customer to keep on opening product in front of you until they found one that was cosmetically perfect? I definitelty understand where the CSR was coming from.

boss429
12-01-05, 10:35 AM
Wait, so you're pissed off because the Best Buy person did not want you to open all of their DVDs in the store. When you were a retail manager would you have allowed a customer to keep on opening product in front of you until they found one that was cosmetically perfect? I definitelty understand where the CSR was coming from.

Bullshit! I would, and have done the same thing at Best Buy. They are not losing money, they send the discs back to the distributers for credit.

atari2600
12-01-05, 05:26 PM
yep - if bestbuy is going to sell something NEW, it better be NEW.

DVDho78DTS
12-01-05, 07:40 PM
I just called home and had my wife open the dvd after reading this.
You are correct!! On the dvd itself it says DTS-ES!!
the back of the case does not list this and there are two seperate versions listed on everyone's website: DTS version and the one with the "Dreamworks" banner across the top which doesn't say DTS on the back.
Why are there still two seperate versions (different artwork) out there if the content is the same??
(Sorry to get off topic)

Back on topic - I still can't stand Best Buy!!

Good god man. :lol:

Dr. Calamari
12-02-05, 12:46 AM
They must be doing pretty well, they just opened a new store 3 blocks west of where I work, which is in close proximity to a major shopping center which has a Circuit City. You guys may want to re-think this whole "boycott" thing. Maybe just buy exclusively from online dealers or something.

Giantrobo
12-02-05, 12:56 AM
So how is the boycott going? Are they out of business yet?

:lol::up:

Deadman31
12-02-05, 09:00 AM
Has anyone else had problems getting into Best Buys reward zone website?? I can get in but when I put in my info and submit it nothing happens. Anyone else?

Richsand25
12-02-05, 03:14 PM
I started my Boycott years ago. Do not visit BB

Matthew Zolton
12-15-05, 08:58 PM
I think that it is funny that everyone simply accepts the 30 day return policy like it is some kind of gift from god or something.

If he was trying to get a credit or cash I would understand the criticism, but he was just trying to replace his disks, nothing more. It would cost BB nothing to replace this guys disks, and in turn they would have a happy customer that will voluntarily give them his business. Instead, they look at this guys receipt with hundreds of dollars of DVDs on it, and tell him, that they don't care that he spends GOBS AND GOBS of money at their store, they will not replace a defective product. Hell, BB just sends all the defective products back to the manufacturer anyway and gets a refund, so it would be NO skin off of their backs to give the guy a replacment DVD.

Finally, all the jerks need to stop saying that this guy should've tested the DVDs in another player before returning them. Did you even ask if the guy HAS another DVD player? So what, is it his responsibilty to go out a purchase a back-up DVD player, just so he can make sure that he will not inconvience BB? Give me a break....

Xbox69
12-15-05, 09:17 PM

Kinda reminds me that scene in "Clerks" -- the guy going thru all the dozens of eggs to find "the perfect dozen". :lol:

amd555
12-16-05, 12:28 PM
I think that it is funny that everyone simply accepts the 30 day return policy like it is some kind of gift from god or something.

If he was trying to get a credit or cash I would understand the criticism, but he was just trying to replace his disks, nothing more. It would cost BB nothing to replace this guys disks, and in turn they would have a happy customer that will voluntarily give them his business. Instead, they look at this guys receipt with hundreds of dollars of DVDs on it, and tell him, that they don't care that he spends GOBS AND GOBS of money at their store, they will not replace a defective product. Hell, BB just sends all the defective products back to the manufacturer anyway and gets a refund, so it would be NO skin off of their backs to give the guy a replacment DVD.

Finally, all the jerks need to stop saying that this guy should've tested the DVDs in another player before returning them. Did you even ask if the guy HAS another DVD player? So what, is it his responsibilty to go out a purchase a back-up DVD player, just so he can make sure that he will not inconvience BB? Give me a break....

NO STORE EVER GETS 100%. THEY LOSE AS MUCH AS ALL OF THEIR PROFIT ON THAT ITEM. sO FOR A 20 DVD, BEST BUY GETS CHARGED $5. ALTHOUGH A 90 DAY RETURN POLICY ON SMALLER ITEMS SHOULD BE IMPLIMENTED AT BBY.

atari2600
12-16-05, 03:00 PM
why are you yelling? do you work for BB?

i dont care what profits BB makes or doesnt make on a product. they have it on sale for whatever price they choose. if i want to buy it for that price it better work. period. if not, its their responsibility to fix it by replacing it.

amd555
12-16-05, 03:15 PM
why are you yelling? do you work for BB?

i dont care what profits BB makes or doesnt make on a product. they have it on sale for whatever price they choose. if i want to buy it for that price it better work. period. if not, its their responsibility to fix it by replacing it.

I ws not yelling. The reason why they dont want to have them returned, is because they are losing rpfit on it. They look at iit this way: were not taking it back, go through the manufacturer. The manufacturer is the only one( other than consumer) who can say whether the product is defective itself.

mbs
12-16-05, 03:59 PM
I ws not yelling. The reason why they dont want to have them returned, is because they are losing rpfit on it. They look at iit this way: were not taking it back, go through the manufacturer. The manufacturer is the only one( other than consumer) who can say whether the product is defective itself.

First, my understanding is that retailers do not lose money (aside from time and shipping) on returns. Rather, the retailer ships the defective item back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Second, I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing. Do you think BBY should not accept returns if they might lose some profit? That is, of course, silly.

In the case mentioned, I can understand if the cashier did not want him to continue opening DVDs (after several had the same problem). However, in that case, they should have been more than willing to offer a full refund for the item. No store can stick you with defective merchandise unless it is outside of their return policy.

atari2600
12-16-05, 05:26 PM

if BB wants to sell merchandise, they should be held somewhat responsible for the quality of it. if everyone who sold a product wasnt and everyone was expected to through the actual manufacturer, it would turn chaotic and sales would plummit.

i cant see how anyone would defend BB in this matter - they sold somethnig defective. fix it.

ResIpsa
12-16-05, 05:32 PM
A fingerprint on a DVD is a defective product? Wow, just wow...

mbs
12-16-05, 05:42 PM
A fingerprint on a DVD is a defective product? Wow, just wow...

If it is sandwiched into the layers of the DVD (and thus cannot be removed), yes.

Chrisedge
12-16-05, 06:16 PM
I like how the seller is responsible for all this. Did Best Buy make the product? No. They offer a fair return policy. If you don't like it, don't shop there. Take it up with T.C.F.

Retailers DON'T get unlimited returns to vendors. If they were to take back everything, at anytime, all the studios would stop allowing them to return the stuff they get to now. I have some DVD's that have been sealed for years. If they are defective when I open them, it's my fault. Don't buy anything you can't watch in the 30 day time period if your that concerned.

Tarantino
12-16-05, 11:25 PM
True.

= J

Michael Corvin
12-17-05, 03:33 AM
How about a break from the boycott? I had a great experience about 10 days ago. I purchased Office Space on release day, Nov. 11. I pull it out 10 days ago to watch it. I remove the shrink wrap, pull the disc out... FULL SCREEN!! ARRGHHH. I thought I was stuck with it for sure, I no longer had the receipt. A nightmare situation.

I figured, what the hell, I will try and return it. Can't hurt, since I only wanted to exchange it. I was very friendly and patient with the guy, explained what happened, and showed him the slipcover that still had their sticker on it. He tried to pull up my receipt on the computer with no luck. After about 15 minutes, he said to just grab the widescreen copy and he would let me exchange it out. Open DVD and no receipt. Never thought I would see the day. I knew he didn't have to do that, I just think courtesy won out.

Score 1 for the customers. :)

Giantrobo
12-17-05, 10:04 AM
How about a break from the boycott? I had a great experience about 10 days ago. I purchased Office Space on release day, Nov. 11. I pull it out 10 days ago to watch it. I remove the shrink wrap, pull the disc out... FULL SCREEN!! ARRGHHH. I thought I was stuck with it for sure, I no longer had the receipt. A nightmare situation.

I figured, what the hell, I will try and return it. Can't hurt, since I only wanted to exchange it. I was very friendly and patient with the guy, explained what happened, and showed him the slipcover that still had their sticker on it. He tried to pull up my receipt on the computer with no luck. After about 15 minutes, he said to just grab the widescreen copy and he would let me exchange it out. Open DVD and no receipt. Never thought I would see the day. I knew he didn't have to do that, < b>I just think courtesy won out</b>.

Score 1 for the customers. :)

Damn you and your "courtesy". They're "Retail Monkeys" hated by Anal retentive NeetGeeks and deserving of wrath for silly issues such as this. ;)

VIVA LA BOYCOTT!! BB WILL BUCKLE ANY DAY NOW!!

renaldow
12-17-05, 10:41 AM
i cant see how anyone would defend BB in this matter - they sold somethnig defective. fix it.

I don't think amd555 was defending BB, I think he was just saying how he believed the system worked, and why they wouldn't want to let a customer open every product in the store looking for the 'right' one.

Damn you and you "courtesy". They're "Retail Monkeys" hated by Anal retentive NeetGeeks and deserving of wrath for silly issues such as this. ;)

VIVA LA BOYCOTT!! BB WILL BUCKLE ANY DAY NOW!!

rotfl

Fight the power!

amd555
12-17-05, 11:54 AM
First, my understanding is that retailers do not lose money (aside from time and shipping) on returns. Rather, the retailer ships the defective item back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Second, I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing. Do you think BBY should not accept returns if they might lose some profit? That is, of course, silly.

In the case mentioned, I can understand if the cashier did not want him to continue opening DVDs (after several had the same problem). However, in that case, they should have been more than willing to offer a full refund for the item. No store can stick you with defective merchandise unless it is outside of their return policy.

You can hold any retailer accountable for uproduct that they do not make. when I was saying about the profit level, I was simply referiring to the 30 day policy and that the budget could take long return (like 90 days) policy.

al_bundy
12-17-05, 04:18 PM

I think everyone of the 200 DVD's I owned at my peak had a scratch on them when I opened them for the first time. And I bought them brand new. And everyone played perfect. I think that having a small scratch on it is part of the manufacturing process since something touches the disc at some point.

Unless your disc had a big scratch that prevented playing i think they would be within their rights to kick you out of the store.

Joxer
03-02-06, 06:55 PM
With all of my dealings with Best Buy I have learned to return stuff by saying "Hello, I got this as a gift the other day" and viola, they usually return it. If they don't, I just go back the next day, and go to another high schooler :)

blucadet3
03-03-06, 11:49 AM
I received about $150 in duplicate DVDs as Christmas gifts this past season, so I didn't have any receipts. Nevertheless, BB gave me store credit for the list price for those unopened titles, which made for a very merry Christmas indeed. I have no problem with BB on this account. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer.

Your best buy rocks. Mine flat out refuses to do this. Yes, even at x-mas. Even when the item has a best buy price sticker on the front!

I think best buy sucks ass too, but I just go buy the loss leaders (like enterprise s1-3 for 39.99 each).

C_Fletch
03-06-06, 01:35 PM
"If you want special treatment, don't make yourself a pain in the ass to the staff; we've heard it all before, and no matter how much you whine about policy (and our adherence to it), how rigorously it is applied is largely dependent on your behavior, your demeanor, and the likelihood of you causing problems in the future. We help nice people; the rest of you are the reason Best Buy established the "angel/devil" format"

Unfortunately this is SOOOO true. I've worked customer service for years and years. If you express yourself in a very pleasant manner you are going to "grease the wheels" for your request to get pushed thru. This works GREAT for corporate mentality reps as they inevitably will give you what you want in a reasonable manner.

But customers that start off the return or problem with a piss poor attitude are typically treated the same way, i.e. piss poor.

Oh, and too the customers who don't like policy. You can thank all of the criminals and immoral people of the world for those. They policies protect the companies bottom line while treating everyone EQUALLY.

That's right people..............no matter how many of billions of dollars you spend at the store they are still going to treat you the same as the guy who buys a 9.99 cd. If they don't do that then they have the possibility of a discrimination lawsuit since they are discriminating what returns to take for whatever reason.

The sad fact of the matter is that a smaller company is probably going to help the person who cries foul. But then again they charge you 20% more.

Goat3001
03-06-06, 07:09 PM
Oh, and too the customers who don't like policy. You can thank all of the criminals and immoral people of the world for those. They policies protect the companies bottom line while treating everyone EQUALLY.

That's right people..............no matter how many of billions of dollars you spend at the store they are still going to treat you the same as the guy who buys a 9.99 cd. If they don't do that then they have the possibility of a discrimination lawsuit since they are discriminating what returns to take for whatever reason.

This is exactly what I don't get about some people. Every big store such as Best Buy has a return/exchange policy. When you buy from that store you are agreeing to their policy if you choose to exchange on return. If you don't like it shop somewhere else, no one deserves special treatment and no one should be allowed to go around the policy.

bballing
03-09-06, 01:59 AM
Someone please help me understand. What I don't get about worst buy is that I can seriously go in there and pick out ANY item in the store, then leave and go find it somewhere else cheaper, online or at another store. ANY ITEM, ON SALE OR NOT.

fujishig
03-09-06, 04:42 PM
Do people really expect Best Buy to live up to their name for every product they sell? Of course B&M stores are usually going to be higher for most products than internet stores. If Best Buy doesn't have prices that you like, go somewhere else or take the time to pricematch, I don't see what the big deal is.

Sorry about the mini-rant, but there was this post, a new thread on this, and numerous posts elsewhere saying that BB is not the cheapest for XX product. As for myself, I just go for the deals that I feel are worth going there for. I picked up Grey's Anatomy a few weeks ago for what I felt was a great price, and bought the latest Miyazaki films just this week from there, for prices comparable to internet stores. Not to mention the $10 Superbits, the recent $10 any videogame or accessory coupon, and the recent 30% off any anime DVD.