Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need help with picking a TV ($<4000)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help selecting what TV will be better:
Mitsubishi 62" HD Model WD-6275 DLP
SONY WEGA 60" Model kdf60xs955 LCD

I have heard some bad things about both ranging from menu and setup on the mitsubishi to pixels on fast moving objects on the sony. If someone could help me ou, I would appreciate it. Or if you have any recommendations, that may also help. I want to stay under the 4,000 range and will not be purchasing it for about 4 months till I move into my new house.
Old 05-09-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want the best picture, I'd recommend a 65" Mitsubishi crt rptv for under $3k. DLP and lcd rp's are not even close in pq. And the crt gives more screen for the buck.
Old 05-09-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
If you want the best picture, I'd recommend a 65" Mitsubishi crt rptv for under $3k. DLP and lcd rp's are not even close in pq. And the crt gives more screen for the buck.
I guess you haven't seen the most recent generation of DLPs and LCDs. To my eyes, both the Toshiba and Samsung DLP, as well as the Sony LCDs, looked as good or better than the RPTVs, including the Mitsu. Not to mention they don't take up half your room.
Old 05-09-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've looked at everything Best Buy and Circuit City have on display. (Recently helped a friend shop for a tv.) And yes, I checked and tweaked settings. No way anything I saw looked even close to a decently-adjusted crt rp. The simply do not have the black levels. Unless CC and BB are hiding the latest generation, or don't offer them, I was distinctly unimpressed.

Have you done a real side-by-side comparison? I did. And I always recommend anyone doing a comparison of their own, although it can be a bit misleading because display models are rarely set up properly. CRTs do need to be converged properly (need the remote for this) in addition to bringing the contrast down, etc.

In a decent sized living or rec room, a crt rptv will fit in nicely. (Ours has a component rac, sub, and cd rack next to it.) If you have a small room, then size can be an issue. The only similar pq I've seen is on the latest plasmas--the new Panasonics have nice black levels and look pretty natural. Which is my ultimate criterion for assessing picture quality--which I found lacking in every lcd and dlp I looked at.

My friend wound up getting a 42" Panny plasma for under $2k--that, a Sony model, and a Samsung all looked noticeably better than the other plasmas. Although some Sharp and Samsung lcds looked nice (but were smaller). And none of the rp dlps or lcds came close. We spent a lot of time looking and tweaking.
Old 05-09-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
I've looked at everything Best Buy and Circuit City have on display. (Recently helped a friend shop for a tv.) And yes, I checked and tweaked settings. No way anything I saw looked even close to a decently-adjusted crt rp. The simply do not have the black levels. Unless CC and BB are hiding the latest generation, or don't offer them, I was distinctly unimpressed.

Have you done a real side-by-side comparison? I did. And I always recommend anyone doing a comparison of their own, although it can be a bit misleading because display models are rarely set up properly. CRTs do need to be converged properly (need the remote for this) in addition to bringing the contrast down, etc.

In a decent sized living or rec room, a crt rptv will fit in nicely. (Ours has a component rac, sub, and cd rack next to it.) If you have a small room, then size can be an issue. The only similar pq I've seen is on the latest plasmas--the new Panasonics have nice black levels and look pretty natural. Which is my ultimate criterion for assessing picture quality--which I found lacking in every lcd and dlp I looked at.

My friend wound up getting a 42" Panny plasma for under $2k--that, a Sony model, and a Samsung all looked noticeably better than the other plasmas. Although some Sharp and Samsung lcds looked nice (but were smaller). And none of the rp dlps or lcds came close. We spent a lot of time looking and tweaking.

We'll just have to differ my friend (as we have been known to do) . I believe that the current generation of LCDs and especially DLPs really stand out and compete right with the CRT RPTVs. Add in the size and "wow" factor, and to me, it's the only way to fly.

Now there's no contest when it comes to price. The fact that you can get even an off brand 47" rptv for under a G is very impressive, and that you can get a big moma for under 2 really makes rptvs impressive. But DLPs and JVC's D-ILJA are moving closer and closer to CRT quality. I understand what you are saying about black level, but I'm not going to take BB's source at face value when you and I both know that it's unnaturally bright and contrasty and blooming. A proper DVD player with black level control would be the best test. I wish I could take my Oppo with me to check out everything

So we differ. It's funny how it's been about a tiny screen and now a big one LOL
Old 05-10-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer DLP just because of the black levels, personally, and have not be impressed with Sony.

Personally, with that kind of money, I would go with a front projector and screen, if you have a room that can accomidate such a thing. Having one (and a cheap one at that), I could never go back to a 6X" screen when I have had a 100" and it is great to connect your computer through for movies, surfing the net, etc. Check that out before you do anything.