Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plugging Subwoofer into my receiver (power)....?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Since I am not down in my theater everyday, I like to keep the subwoofer powered off when I'm not using it. I always find it annoying to walk over and power the sub on every time I use the theater. Now, I have a nice Pioneer receiver that's about a year old, and it has a power outlet in the back for other components. I thought it may have been a grounded outlet, but now that I think of it, it may not be. However, first off, let's say it is grounded. Then, is it ok for me to keep my sub switched on, but have it plugged into the back of the receiver for power? That way it automatically turns on when the receiver is on.

Ok now, lets say it isn't grounded. Since the receiver is plugged into a surge protector (the receiver plug itself is not grounded...if i remember correctly), could I use an adapter to take the grounded sub plug down to a two prong, and plug THAT into the receiver?

Just wanted to see if there was anything really wrong with this..... has anyone tried? Am i correct in assuming that this wouldn't affect actual sound performance during a movie, etc for any reason?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-09-05 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 09:20 AM

Grounding isn't the issue. Most sockets on receivers are not designed to deliver much power. They are "accessory" outlets. Your sub may draw more current than the socket was designed to deliver. The sub should be plugged into it's own separate outlet.
Old 05-09-05, 09:28 AM

Yes, the receiver's outlet will be labeled for how much current it can provide, and the sub will list how much current it draws. If they're anywhere close, don't try it. These outlets are designed to power components that don't draw much power, like tuners CD players and such.

Leaving the sub turned on is how it's designed to work, but if you really don't want to, find a 20-amp power strip and plug both your receiver and sub into it, and turn the whole system on and off with that. If you don't want to remove power from your receiver, then I *really* don't get why you have a problem leaving your sub in standby.

RichC
Old 05-09-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Well, usually I am really busy and only get in my theater 3 or 4 times a month sometimes -- i feels it's a waste to leave the sub on the whole time - even in standby, it's drawing power. Actually, it's a Cerwin Vega with "off" and "auto/on".

Later,

Matt
Old 05-09-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It draws very little power while in standby. You would save more electricity by bumping up your thermostat a fraction of a degree.

BTW, do you unplug your receiver, DVD player, VCR, TV, etc? Not turn off - unplug? You do realize that these components all draw power while plugged in in order to run the IR receiver. You may as well run everything to a powerstrip and turn it off when not in use.
Old 05-09-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

I just figured that the sub would draw a TON more power in standby than the "regular" components. Any idea on the difference in power drawn in relation to the other components..? Well, i guess that questions is kinda far fetched - a lot of variables come into play....

Thanks again ,

Matt
Old 05-09-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tiny. Just enough for the LED if there is one, and to keep a circuit active to feel if signal is sent to it. Probably less than a VCR, which has a clock display always on.

Maybe it's a terminology thing. Standby is really the same as "off". These days, "off" actually means "unplugged". My disc players all have an off button, but this cuts power completely at the power supply, you can't turn them on with a remote if it is "off".
Old 05-09-05, 01:23 PM

Receivers also operate in standby mode, and their output amplifiers are usually much more powerful than a sub's, yet we never think about unplugging them when they're not in use.

The auto-sensing circuit in your sub, that sits there waiting for there to be an audio signal to tell it to turn the power amp on, probably draws less power than your doorbell.

RichC