Reload this Page >

Morrowind GOTY (xbox) question

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-04-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Getting ready to invest a LOT of time in Morrowind GOTY edition for xbox as this sounds like a very fun and interesting game that I would love. I am doing a lot of research and everything seems good. So I have a simple question for all.

Does the xbox version include the journal that is in the PC version. I have it does and I have heard it dosen't. My friend who plays the PC version said that journal is very valuable. If it doesent include a journal, should I take my own time and create one of the various journeys and events or should I just rely on my memory.

Also, I look forward to any other tips you guys might have but please no spoilers, thanks
Old 05-04-05, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm the existence of the journal in the game for XBOX. The Game of the Year edition even has a keyword function so if you're not sure what the quest was you can look through your index of keywords.
Old 05-04-05, 07:49 PM

I have the PC version, but I just Googled "xbox morrowind journal", and apparently, the Xbox version DOES have the journal, but it doesn't have the GOTY enhancements that came with the PC version. The PC journal lets you sort the quests, so you can tell which ones have been completed, and which are still active. I'm guessing the Xbox journal is like the one in original Morrowind for PC, where everything is contained in chronological order...a major pain in the ass, if you play for a long time. Yeah, you can look stuff by keyword, but the active/completed function makes things easier.

I hope Oblivion will allow you to search your journal. Even with the sorting function, it could still be tough to find things.

Despite this, I absolutely love Morrowind and the Elder Scrolls world. You might find that it starts off kind of slow, especially if you're not sure what you're doing, etc., but you're really into the role-playing & immersion aspect of RPGs, you'll probably enjoy it.
Old 05-06-05, 01:07 PM

going to start this tonite. should be fun thanks
Old 05-06-05, 03:08 PM

Would this be a good starting character

Dark Elf (Dunmer)
Class: Assassian

Major Skills:
speechcraft
sneak
light armor
security
long blade

Minor Skills
block
heavy armor
mercantile
restoration
short blade

Feedback
Old 05-06-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to be sneaky and not a brute, then that's a good starting character. Speechcraft is very important in getting people to believe you. I know I maxed that one out.

It may take a bit to get used to the Morrowind world, but don't give up on it. This is a great game and can easily last over 100 hours.
Old 05-06-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave
It may take a bit to get used to the Morrowind world, but don't give up on it. This is a great game and can easily last over 100 hours.

300-400 hours for me since it came out. I've never been involved in a game like I was Morrowind. I still play it just to mess around and fill in more of the map. My decision on which next gen system to get will be soley based on which one Oblivion is released for.

Oh, and Long Blade and Sneak are good to start as major because you have a chance to get a VERY good long blade almost at the start of the game if you find it. Good luck.
Old 05-06-05, 03:44 PM

When I did my assassin character, I went with the stock build that's in the game, and chose Bosmer (Wood Elf) as my race for the marksman bonus. Killing with bows is pretty fun. But if you want to stick with Dunmer, that's fine. Personally, I would drop Heavy Armor as a minor skill, and put Acrobatics in there. I'd also be inclined to replace Restoration with Alchemy, which is fun to use and an easy way to level up. Also, I picture assassins as more of the potion-mixing type, and less of a spell-casting one.

I haven't played this in so long, so I'm a bit rusty with my MW knowledge. I'd like to go back to it soon, but there are some issues with my mods that I need to clear up first.
Old 05-06-05, 04:10 PM

Here are screenshots of my characters:

My Nord rogue holding a Bound Battle Axe.

My Bosmer assassin sneaking in his own house.

My Breton mage walking on water.
Old 05-06-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
300-400 hours for me since it came out. I've never been involved in a game like I was Morrowind. I still play it just to mess around and fill in more of the map. My decision on which next gen system to get will be soley based on which one Oblivion is released for.
Oh, I know I went well over 100 hours, but just wanted to give an estimate.

I'm pretty sure Oblivion is going to be on the Xbox. There's no doubt that I'll get whatever system it comes out on though.
Old 05-06-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElementZ
Would this be a good starting character

Dark Elf (Dunmer)
Class: Assassian

Major Skills:
speechcraft
sneak
light armor
security
long blade

Minor Skills
block
heavy armor
mercantile
restoration
short blade

Feedback
I never actually finished Morrowind... but I've been meaning to push to finish it sometime soon.

There are different ways to play MW. If you want to be more of a strict RPer and just focus on the skills you start with and try to create a convincing character then those skills are all probably pretty good. I started with something relatively similar. However I found that the skills I initially choose weren't necessarily what I enjoyed doing and so I came up with a more balanced character. Putting a skill like Long Blade in your Major Skills will cause you to level very fast (as you'll be doing a lot of fighting) and will make it difficult for you to increase your stat points when you level.

I may be confusing terminology somewhat but every time you level up you're able to increase the 3 of the 6 stat points (Strength, etc). The amount that they increase is based on how many non-major and non-minor skill levels you increased before you improved 10 major and minor skill levels. I.E. - Heavy Armor is tied to strength. If you were able to increase Heavy Armor 5x before you increased any combination of your Major/Minor skills 10x you would be able to increase your strength 5 pts.

Things like Speechcraft and Mercantile are ridiculously easy to level. Once I got a little money under my belt, I bribe/compilent every shop keeper I met and speechcraft starts shooting up. As you learn what kind of deals you can haggle for your mercantile will go up quickly as well. That means you will level pretty fast and your stats will not increase that quickly. I'm sure a lot of people don't like to play this way but with the way I set up my character I'd be at level 60 already with mediocre stats instead of where I am at level 18 or 19 with decent stats. It's all up to how you want to play. After 10 hours I realized that my character wasn't set up the way I want so set about sculpting him into the way I should have initially created him.
Old 05-07-05, 07:31 AM

Exercising Speechcraft can be pretty tedious, though. For speechcraft, I would go up to every guard I found and compliment them over & over. I suppose bribing would work faster, but I'm really cheap.

Hmm...if you bribe shopkeepers, does the gold go into their regular pool of gold, i.e., can you get the gold back by selling crap to them? If so, that might be the way to go. Just buy arrows or ingredients from them and keep selling them back (shop items in stacks of 5 or more automatically get replenished in their inventory).
Old 05-07-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played the original non-GOTY edition for a few hundred hours, and I think I only got through half of the main quest. Then I picked up the GOTY edition, and I was going to get back into it, but my Xbox was acting up so I got it refurbed and now I don't have my character anymore.

I have very fond memories of jumping around a lot to get my skill up, and jumping off of towers and almost dying from the fall. It's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I was eventually able to make boots of levitation and pretty much fly wherever I wanted. I also had magical armor that made me almost impossible to hit. It took me forever to create it, but once I did it was awesome.

Great game. I just wish I had a few hundred hours to sink into it again.
Old 05-07-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by areacode212
Your mage is hot.

Seriously though, this is a great game. I wish I had more time to invest in it...
Old 05-08-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you guys see the video where someone finished Morrowind in 14 minutes and 26 seconds?? I have never played MW (but always wanted to), so I don't really know what's going on for the most part except that he buffed himself to insane level and just whooped the last boss' butt!

Check it out!

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Old 05-08-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by areacode212
Exercising Speechcraft can be pretty tedious, though. For speechcraft, I would go up to every guard I found and compliment them over & over. I suppose bribing would work faster, but I'm really cheap.

Hmm...if you bribe shopkeepers, does the gold go into their regular pool of gold, i.e., can you get the gold back by selling crap to them? If so, that might be the way to go. Just buy arrows or ingredients from them and keep selling them back (shop items in stacks of 5 or more automatically get replenished in their inventory).
Complimenting people with low Speechcraft is worthless. You won't get anywhere that way. Bribing has a much higher success rate and will help you to level it much faster. Unfortunately the gold you bribe them with does not go into their gold pool (which is good because it would be lame to just get the gold back from sales). Insulting works marginally better than complimenting which is good when you want to pick a fight, but don't want to get arrested.
Old 05-08-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are the differences between the GOTY and the regular version? I bought the non-GOTY a while ago because it was only $10.
Old 05-08-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lethal Nemesis
What are the differences between the GOTY and the regular version? I bought the non-GOTY a while ago because it was only $10.
I'm pretty sure the GOTY edition includes the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions. Even if you just want to play the main quest it's not a bad idea because there were some improvements made for the expansions most particularly related to a much improved Journal system. I remember being extremely angry with the original version and the one from the expansions was much improved (although still far from perfect).
Old 05-08-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'll try to trade it in to EBgames or Gamestop to get credit towards the GOTY edition.
Old 05-13-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the GOTY edition now and I keep getting the dirty disc error. I've got an old Xbox with the Thompson drive, and I've been meaning to trade it in for a new one. I think EBgames will give me $80 of in-store credit towards a new Xbox. Worth it?