Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the best WWE game for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the best WWE game for PS2?

Just wondering what the general opinion is on the best WWE game for PS2. I've currently got Shut Your Mouth (I think) from a friend and have played a bit with the CAW, which I'm enjoying.. I created pretty good replicas of me and a couple of my friends. I actually haven't played it yet, just let the CPU run some matches with our characters for amusement value. So we rented the newest version, Raw vs. Smackdown, which LOOKS better.. but also looks like a pre-pubescent boys masturbatory playground. All the unlockables are just "diva" pictures and shit and the "music" in the game makes me want to vomit (who listens to this shit over the age of 13?). I've also had much less success with creating our look-a-likes in the CAW mode, although there were some good options there, like separate clothes for backstage, etc. Again, didn't actually play more than a couple of matches.

Anyway.. before I get too deep in either I just want to know what game people feel has the best CAW mode, which one has the best season mode and which one overall has the best gameplay.
Old 05-03-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed Here Comes the Pain was the highest rated one on IGN, not that that holds TOO much merit.
Old 05-03-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I like Here Comes the Pain. It has backstage areas, and a nicely varied branching story mode. Smackdown vs Raw has a small branching plot but it gets old quick. No voice-overs like SVR, but they sound so bad in that game, it doesn't matter. Plus HCTP has alot more wrestlers then SVR.

Best CAW is probably SVR
Best season HCTP
Best gameplay a tie (SVR you can steal finishers, which is cool. HCTP it's easier to counter and reverse moves)

I'd go with HCTP, it's more fun, and cheaper.
Old 05-03-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can steal finishers in SYM too.. not HCTP?

The hair selection in SVR is shit for the CAW, otherwise I'd probably agree with you.
Old 05-03-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I don't believe you can steal finishers in HCTP, which sucks.
Old 05-03-05, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this part of your therepy treatment on your road to become more manly?
Old 05-03-05, 01:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was pretty disapointed with the roaster for S vs R. I'm hoping the next installment will have wrestlers like:

Stone Cold
Hulk Hogan
The new Rock
Old 05-03-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Robably no Rock, as his contract expired, but both Hogan and Austin have come back since... depends on how updated the roster is, i guess.
Old 05-03-05, 05:43 PM

I thought you could steal finishers in all of the Smackdown games?
Old 05-03-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
I was pretty disapointed with the roaster for S vs R. I'm hoping the next installment will have wrestlers like:

Stone Cold
Hulk Hogan
The new Rock
I'm sorry.
Old 05-09-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After previewing Smackdown vs. Raw my friends and I chipped together the massive $17 needed for a copy of Here Comes the Pain. The CAW is probably 100 times better than SvR, which brought much elation to us all. We made some characters and watched a few matches (much more entertaining than playing the game for some reason.. what reason is that?)

So.. I decided to start a season, which also seems much better than SvR, but I quickly came to the realization that the gameplay for this series blows with a mad vengeance. I'd excuse shoddy controls and what not being that it IS a product tie-in game.. but the difficulty of computer matches and the seemingly lack of solid game mechanics drive me insane. It's really, really frustrating.. even after "learning the ropes" so to speak. The CPU characters charge their super meters EIGHT times faster than player controlled characters and their finishers seem to be DEADLY while yours seems to only slightly sway the match in your favor. I nearly lost my cool a few times last night (and now the case needs a new amaray case, sigh).

On the other hand, season mode is great fun for a WWE dork as it's just amusing as hell to interact with the other characters, get involved in feuds, etc. I've currently got a faction going with me, Charlie Haas and the Piper with Torrie as the manager. If not for this aspect I would've just stuck with making wrestlers of my friends and watching the CPU play out the matches.

Oh, and you CAN steal finishers in HCTP, I've gotten quite good at it (that is, if I can stay alive in a match for the 20 minutes it takes to build two super meters.. Christ..)

Overall, a good $17 and probably the best WWE game for the PS2/Xbox (I think I've played them all now). I'm just a tad worried continuing in season mode will dig out some of my really bad anger issues I've managed to keep under control since high school (the game really is frustrating).
Old 05-09-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Here Comes The Pain