Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Queen Amidala

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queen Amidala

Ok so I just finished watching Return of the Jedi..Luke asked Leia.."Do you remember your mom...your real mom" and she says "Yes...I was young and she was very sad". So does Queen die in this Sith? If so how does she rememeber her Real mom?
Old 05-01-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 05-01-05, 10:43 PM
Banned

huh?
Old 05-01-05, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by slcsnkman
Ok so I just finished watching Return of the Jedi..Luke asked Leia.."Do you remember your mom...your real mom" and she says "Yes...I was young and she was very sad". So does Queen die in this Sith? If so how does she rememeber her Real mom?
I think this is a continuity error...I flicked through the Episode 3 storybook today and it said that Amidala died at the time of the birth. So there's no way Leia would know remember her mom.
Old 05-02-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Continuity is explained away by the idea that Leia somehow was able to "sense" her mother through the Force, even as a young baby

Don't you love this time of year?
Old 05-02-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler alert:

Spoiler:
I believe that in ROTS, as Padme is giving birth, Leia comes out first, Padme holds her, Leia looks back... (Guess that's her memory ), then Luke is born but Padme dies before she or he see each other.

Then you hear Lucas say loudly "HAAA! Thought you'd get me with this one, did you?"
Old 05-02-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol, funny. Just wait till Lucas changes that line when Star Wars gets released on HD-DVD.
Old 05-02-05, 12:55 AM

Indeed beating the dead horse... I belive this was discussed twice already in the original thread.
Old 05-02-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not sure I'd be too critical about someone missing that one ... a lot of pages to go through
Old 05-03-05, 12:55 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there will still be a few questions unanswered, I guess that what happens when you start the prequels when Anakin is really young, there isn't enough time to work out all hte small things. Personally I would of liked more focus on the droids.
Old 05-03-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UmbrellaAl
Indeed beating the dead horse... I belive this was discussed twice already in the original thread.
Are you honestly expecting people to comb through a 100+ page 'picture' thread on the off chance that the Leia/Padme relationship is discussed?

The whole reason for the subform is for people to be able to ask questions like this...
Old 05-03-05, 02:38 PM
Banned

Queen

Are you honestly expecting people to comb through a 100+ page 'picture' thread on the off chance that the Leia/Padme relationship is discussed?
First off Thanks.

Second. She flat out says she remembers her being sad. Would be a big goof if Lucas F's this up
Old 05-03-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slcsnkman
She flat out says she remembers her being sad. Would be a big goof if Lucas F's this up
I'm not sure if this qualifies as 'big goof'. I think there are two equally valid explanations:

1. SPOILER WARNING: Leia is born first, while Amidala is still awake/aware. It's possible that Leia has a vague 'Force memory' of this moment, which would be consistent with the adjectives she uses to describe her mom.

2. Leia could be referring to her 'other' mother -- Bail's wife.

Either way, I don't think this is a huge deal. Just one of the dangers of writing things out-of-order, with decades separating the various stories.
Old 05-03-05, 04:10 PM

Her husband turned evil and then was "killed." Thats why she's sad. If I were her, I'd be happy that he's "dead" so that I didn't have hear him whining.
Old 05-04-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll buy the whole force memory... or she is force sensative to feel the essence of her mothers last feelings of sadness.
Old 05-04-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It can't be explained away by making her reference apply to Bail Organa.

She clearly indicates her mom dies when she was very young.

Perhaps instead of having
Spoiler:
Padme die after giving birth
they could have
Spoiler:
had her holding Leia or going with her to Alderaan and then we just assume she died when Leia was young, as she says.

This is just another example of the inconsistencies that Lucas is ignoring. Maybe it'll work out in the film, and I hope it does...
Old 05-04-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toad
It can't be explained away by making her reference apply to Bail Organa.

She clearly indicates her mom dies when she was very young.
We don't know when Bail's wife dies. She could have died when Leia was a young child.

That being said, I'm sure the 'force memory' of the moment of birth makes more sense. But, ultimately, this just is a result of (a) writing the stories out of order, decades apart and (b) the script to RotJ not being all that well thought-out.
Old 05-04-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This is just another example of the inconsistencies that Lucas is ignoring.
It's actually more examples of the fans reading into everything way to deeply.

"But Obi said that Anakin was Killed by Vader? WTF?!!?"
Old 05-04-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't read too deeply into "my mom died when I was very young, but I remember her being very sad."

It's silly to blame fans for something Lucas did.
Old 05-04-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well it's pretty much the truth.

she dies at child birth.. that's when leia is very young.
I remember her being very sad... which she will be since anakin force choked her.

You can very easily toss it to be a "force memory" of her remembering all the way back to her birth. Though that's usually not acceptable to most fans.
Old 05-04-05, 04:03 PM
Retired

This is such a minor issue to me. I really don't give a shit whether or not it's tied up.
Old 05-04-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I completely agree Josh.
Old 05-04-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, Luke is born first I believe. At least, he is in the novel. But as she's giving birth, Padme's going, "If it's a girl name her Leia" so I guess even in the womb, she had that "connection" already or something.