Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most violent mainstream movies you have ever seen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-30-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

While seeing lots of violence in niche/low-budget material like Kill Bill is rather common, I was wondering what big studio releases you think have quite a bit of violence for being a studio release. Seeing one from a major studio is rare nowadays, but I remember around the late 80s and early 90s there were quite a few major releases full of shockingly high levels of violence.

Some that stick out to me:

Predator 2- I watched this again the other night, and I am surprised the movie still didn't get an NC-17. Probably the most violent big-budget movie I can recall.

Bad Boys 2-almost insensitive violence IMO
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Old 04-30-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Old 04-30-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
JAWS

Rated PG before the PG-13, but still, Quint's death was pretty damn_graphic.

Same can be said for Jurassic Park.

I'd probably put Robocop right up there, too. And of course, countless horror releases like Ft13th, NoES, etc. Maybe I'd add Scarface for the bathtub scene.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-30-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any of James Cameron movies. There isn't a single drop of blood in Jurassic Park so I wouldn't count that one. Saving Private Ryan and most modern day war movies are good examples; Braveheart, Gladiator.
Old 04-30-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There isn't a single drop of blood in Jurassic Park so I wouldn't count that one.
What about Sam Jackson's severed arm? I seem to remember that being pretty bloody.
Old 04-30-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
There isn't a single drop of blood in Jurassic Park so I wouldn't count that one.
While not as bloody as JAWS, the T-Rex chomping on Gennaro was pretty intense. I never expected to see that.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-30-05 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am certain Kingdom of Heaven will be quite violent since it got an R.
Old 04-30-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
The bedroom scene in Freddy vs. Jason was pretty graphic with the guys guts coming out. Also, a good deal of Starship Troopers.
Old 04-30-05, 08:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

most insanely graphic scene in a movie?:

irriversable's head smashing
Old 04-30-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ichi the Killer. Haven't watched a lot of movies of this type so I'm sure there are worse. Guess this isn't a big studio release, but it is talked about a lot on this forum.
Old 04-30-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whynotsmile

Mainstream movie. Limited releases and lower budget films don't count.
Old 04-30-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The movie that comes to mind for me is Hannibal. The "dinner" scene at the end is pretty graphic for a mainstream Hollywood movie, and there are several other scenes that are fairly gruesome.
Old 04-30-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to have to to go with "Robocop".

I'm sure there are others i have seen, but "Robocop" is the only one i can recall right now.
Old 04-30-05, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'm going to have to to go with "Robocop".

I'm sure there are others i have seen, but "Robocop" is the only one i can recall right now.
Yeah i'm gonna have to agree, i know the x-rated footage was cut, but whether with or without it it tops my list.
Old 04-30-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 334 Likes on 218 Posts
I guess Ichi the Killer doesn't count, but I watched that yesterday and it was pretty violent. I can't say for sure since it's been a few years, but American History X was violent (but was it on screen? Memory is weird, and I don't remember what was on screen and what was implied.). Maybe I'm just remembering it as uberviolent because there was nothing "comic book" about it.
Old 04-30-05, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you lost me at "mainstream".
Old 04-30-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
you lost me at "mainstream".
Ditto. I was all, "Man Bites Dog, Irreversible, Ichi the Ki....oh.."

-JP
Old 04-30-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Another for Robocop. But back then, when I saw it twice in the theaters, I was more "Oooh!Ahhh!". Nowdays I'm like, "Wow, that's kinda sick".

Dead Presidents is another one to throw in the mix. My then-girlfriend walked out of the Vietnam scenes.
Went back to see it for a 2nd time, and both men and women were shrieking during those scenes. Saw another walk-out too.
Old 04-30-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Hannibal had quite a few shocking violent scenes, as did Starship Troopers now that I remember (I was kinda surprised by the amount of violence in that, but I forgot it was from the director of Robocop).
Old 04-30-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whynotsmile

Now, I've never seen this movie, but I was so curious to actually see this head bashing scene I'd heard so much about that I searched the internet and found a clip. It was a pretty poor quality clip, so maybe that had something to do with it, but honestly it didn't shock me that much. Don't get me wrong...I'm not a sicko that's into that kinda stuff, but I guess I was expecting something more graphic. Maybe it had to do with all the hype. Anyway, the scene took place in a dark bar, so it was hard to see and much of the "action" took place off screen. The aftermath was shown very briefly, but I didn't think it was any more gruesome that the radio operator in Saving Private Ryan that got his face shot off.
Old 05-01-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Now, I've never seen this movie, but I was so curious to actually see this head bashing scene I'd heard so much about that I searched the internet and found a clip. It was a pretty poor quality clip, so maybe that had something to do with it, but honestly it didn't shock me that much. Don't get me wrong...I'm not a sicko that's into that kinda stuff, but I guess I was expecting something more graphic. Maybe it had to do with all the hype. Anyway, the scene took place in a dark bar, so it was hard to see and much of the "action" took place off screen. The aftermath was shown very briefly, but I didn't think it was any more gruesome that the radio operator in Saving Private Ryan that got his face shot off.

Well the scene isn't very graphic anyways. However, if you think the scene took place "in a dark bar" I suggest you watch it on DVD.
Old 05-01-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the scene isn't very graphic anyways. However, if you think the scene took place "in a dark bar" I suggest you watch it on DVD.
Ok, I just watched the clip more closely and I think I was wrong when I said most of the action took place off screen. The clip was such poor quality that the dude's head looked like it was off screen, but in actuality his head was right in frame and everything could be seen. I just couldn't see it very well because it was so dark. I have no intention of watching the movie because I've seen all I want to, but I can imagine that watching it on dvd would be a much different experience.
Old 05-01-05, 11:34 AM
Retired

In no particular order..

Sin City
Kill Bill Vol 1
Reservoir Dogs
Robocop
Fight Club
American History X (curbing scene)
Hannibal
Old 05-01-05, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido

yea, your not really giving that scene justice. when you watch the flim in a theater, or even on dvd, the prior 15 minutes are this nauseating hell. nothing really violent, but the cinematography is all over the place. by the time the head bashing scene comes up you already feel sick. it very much disturbs me still, and i've seen the film probably 5 times. of course its nothing in comparison to the rape scene in the middle
Old 05-01-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's interesting is that Starship Troopers has just about a disturbing portrayal of major war battle (i.e. soldiers getting torn apart and screaming with their wounds gaping open) as Saving Private Ryan. Not many people notice this or pay much attention to it as the movie is sci-fi, but if you look at it you will see what I mean. I guess having soldiers get slaughtered by giant bugs in a fantasy place is less distubing than having them slaughtered by other humans in a battle that really happened.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.