DVD Talk
Is Halloween: Restored Limited Edition worth picking up??? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is Halloween: Restored Limited Edition worth picking up???

benfiltness
04-29-05, 10:06 PM
Found this in a local used DVD store for about $20... is it worth getting??? It appears to be in great condition...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305546797/dvdtalk/qid=1114826392/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-7725277-1288630?v=glance&s=dvd

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305546797.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Hollogram cover... I noticed DeepDiscount and SecondSpin and Ebay don't even have one listed... and the ones on Amazon sound aweful sketchy...

thanks for the advice...

ben

Mountain Biker
04-29-05, 10:19 PM
Definitely worth picking up

dsa_shea
04-29-05, 10:43 PM
If it is the 2 disc set in mint it sells for 40-50 bucks.

benfiltness
04-29-05, 10:48 PM
Yes it is... i noticed some people selling this thing for as high as $160 on Amazon, I guess they are individually numbered..

Also, the lower priced ones don't have the hollogram cover, so i know its worth some money but it is worth of going into my DVD collection as something worth watching and enjoying...

ben

Maxflier
04-29-05, 11:39 PM
My copy of Halloween has a hologram cover,but it's only a single disc and not the Limited Edition like that one.
How many freaking different versions of this movie did they release on DVD anyway??

wewantflair
04-29-05, 11:40 PM
This limited edition contains both the Theatrical and the Extended TV cuts of the film....definitely worth picking up at that price. I recommend keeping it if you are a Halloween fan.

benfiltness
04-29-05, 11:47 PM
I'm not a haloween fan by any means, it just seems to have such a good resale...

I'll go back tommorow and see if it is 1 disc or 2 discs... ill pick it up if its got 2...

Does that sound about right???

Thanks for all the advice,

BEN

DeputyDave
04-30-05, 12:40 AM
Tell me which store you saw it at and I'll go check it out and see if it's worth your money ;)

mike01
04-30-05, 12:43 AM
its also numbered

Tony Dvdfan
04-30-05, 12:47 AM
If you're a fan, pick it up. If its purely for resale, its probably not worth it...i've seen some of these end on ebay for as low as $15-20.

L Chabert Lover
04-30-05, 08:31 AM
It's worth noting that you can get all of the contents of the 2-Disc Limited Edition in two seperate, readily available DVDs. All you need to get is the Restored single disc from 1999 and the Extended Edition disc from 2002.

benfiltness
04-30-05, 08:53 AM
yes i see...

well im on the way to get it... ill take a gander at it... if its single disc im not getting it... if its immaculate and double disc ill pick it up.... watch it... and prob. put it in the DVD Treasure Hunt... although i don't think im technically allowed to participate in that yet..

ben

Chris777
04-30-05, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry this isn't contributing but it just made me think again about the possiblilities of what would've happened if you found out *Insert Title* would have been valuable and rare down the line.

I say buy it, if you get your reserve met at ebay, other than that pass up.

Mr. Cinema
04-30-05, 09:20 AM
Go for it.

Matthew Chmiel
04-30-05, 11:04 AM
Other than the actual "television version-only" disc (which is now OOP as there were only 5000 copies made), this is the only way to get the "television version" in anamorphic widescreen (and it looks just as great as the film itself). The Divimax SE only has the television scenes as a bonus feature (if I remember correctly).

If you're a fan of the film, go for it. I have both this LE and the two-disc that came out two years ago.

benfiltness
04-30-05, 11:52 AM
Picked it up today.... it is #17525...

Thanks for the input... ill sell it after i watch it i think...

L Chabert Lover
04-30-05, 01:00 PM
The Divimax SE only has the television scenes as a bonus feature (if I remember correctly).

No, the Divimax 2-Discer doesn't have the television scenes. I think parts of the TV scenes are included in the 90 minute documentary, but you can't view them in the film and you can't view them in a seperate "TV scenes" gallery in the extras section.

nazz
04-30-05, 01:30 PM
Picked it up today.... it is #17525...

Thanks for the input... ill sell it after i watch it i think...

I have #9625 and it's a keeper I think. If you're going to have one copy of Halloween for your collection, this is the one.

bmello
04-30-05, 02:41 PM
Yes it is... i noticed some people selling this thing for as high as $160 on Amazon, I guess they are individually numbered..

So why would you ask if it's worth picking up?

benfiltness
04-30-05, 03:29 PM
because you never know if people on Amazon are just crazy or there might be an edition better for less money...

CertifiedTHX
04-30-05, 10:11 PM
I have #1635

Chris777
04-30-05, 10:18 PM
because you never know if people on Amazon are just crazy or there might be an edition better for less money...

Yeah i've seen some movies go for insanely high prices, like a mint salo for 875, i'm pretty sure nobody has picked that up yet.

CertifiedTHX
04-30-05, 10:40 PM
Damn. Submit works too well. Hit it by accident before completing this reply, and quickly tapped Escape, but to no avail. As I was saying....

Originally posted by benfiltness

Found this in a local used DVD store for about $20... is it worth getting??? It appears to be in great condition...

I have #1465 (not 1635; just went and checked it). Got it on eBay a couple years ago for a collector's price. I'm surprised you found it for so low. Hell, I'm surprised you found it AT ALL. It's been out of print for years, and it can be difficult to find in its original factory seal, even on eBay.

Mine is still sealed, and in mint condition. I'm undecided about whether I'm ever going to open it. I'm a fan of the Halloween series, so it's not like I'm ever going to sell it. But there's just something special about having a nearly-impossible-to-find product that's never been opened. Perhaps I'll look on eBay for another copy sometime.

Anyway, great find. Many Halloween fans would be drooling over it, especially for that price--

Wait, pardon me. Misread your original post. So it's used, not sealed. Still, if it's in mint condition, it will probably have a good resale value.

--THX

Chris777
04-30-05, 10:46 PM
^^^

Don't ever open it ;) , i have the same situation with ed wood what a great film top 20, i just found the gray spined version at blockbuster for 21.99 and i'm never going to sell it, i already own the october (current) release. Plus the Divimax on it's own is kick ass (Halloween).

Chris777
04-30-05, 11:25 PM
Umm... Is this it ? *THIS IS NOT MY AUCTION*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41561&item=6389204289&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

cajun_junky
05-01-05, 11:03 AM
What a great find. As a huge halloween fan I have been looking for a decent price on one of these copies. I have seen a few on Ebay but have been hesitant due to the potential fraud on Ebay. I may have to take a chance one of these days with Ebay.

CertifiedTHX
05-02-05, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by cajun_junky

What a great find. As a huge halloween fan I have been looking for a decent price on one of these copies. I have seen a few on Ebay but have been hesitant due to the potential fraud on Ebay. I may have to take a chance one of these days with Ebay.

I can appreciate your hesitancy about eBay. I had much the same concern before I got into it. I have completed six transactions successfully, and without any trouble. The products have come as described, and I've been a satisfied user.

You need to make sure the seller has enough positive feedback. I would say, as long as it's in the middle to high 90% range, you should be fine. You might also want to email the seller just to make sure you hear back. If I email them, and I hear nothing back--which has happened more than once--I won't take any further action.

Just need to be appropriately cautious.

--THX