Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Maurice - Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of Maurice - Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11069 and...
I disagree that homosexuality was the main focus of the film. Clearly your understanding of the entrenchment of the Class System in England at that point would have endeavored to stop Maurice's relationship if it had been with a milkmaid or any other "lower class" person.

If the film, and the movie, have a resounding flaw it is the sudden and completely unexplained conversion of Clive Durham from being Maurice's love interest to being suddenly straight. (Or as straight as Hugh Grant can ever be.) This was put in by the author to explain the breakup but was, on the whole, ill-thought out or justified. But in both cases Clive is a gutless wonder.

But taken with that flaw, the problems Maurice goes through are class based moveover rather than stricktly homophobic. His homosexuality is indicative of his difficulties with his job and with the Class System.

Sincerely