Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Need Some Help: How do you spot a fake Hard Boiled or Killer Criterion

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Help: How do you spot a fake Hard Boiled or Killer Criterion

I have read many many threads on this and am still very confused as to how to spot a fake. White Frosted Rings, Security Labels that dont have Criterion written on it, Silver Special Edition Stickers on the package, Nimbus Logos... Im really confused. Ive seen people who have Killer DVD's minus the ring who swear it is completly legit, i was hoping some people could put together a definitive list of how to spot a a bootleg of each of these discs as i would love to pruchase one but am freaking out that im gonna get screwed. Thanx alot for any help you can give me cause i know this topic has prolly been brought up a million times
Old 04-28-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are more interested in the films themselves, there are imports whose quality far surpass the Criterion releases.

I would avoid sellers with less than sufficient feedback (assuming you are looking to ebay), as well as any copy lacking an insert. The front label on the Hard Boiled disk should be holographic as well.
Old 04-28-05, 10:36 PM

buy the tartan video release from circuitcity.com
Old 04-29-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I can guarantee you that there are legit Criterion Killer discs without the "frosted ring". I bought mine brand new from Best Buy in like 98 or 99, one of the first several DVDs I bought, and mine does not have any "frosting".

So my point is, you have to go by the legitimacy of the seller. Unless there is some other sure-fire way of identifying a boot that I don't know about. Mine has a serial number on the disc I think, but I spose that can be copied as well?