DVD Talk
Do you tip the cook at the Japanese Hibachi restaurants? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you tip the cook at the Japanese Hibachi restaurants?

Buford T Pusser
04-28-05, 12:56 AM
A few weeks ago we were eating at one of those Japanese restaurants where they cook in front of you and put on a show. Flaming onion volcano, etc.

The time before it seemed like the guy hesitated for a tip but I didn't have any cash.

So this time I had money ready and he took off fairly quickly and in the opposite direction of where I was sitting. So I didn't give him a tip.

We're going there again this weekend and I want to know if I should tip him. If so, how much? Percentage of meals, so much a person?

Numanoid
04-28-05, 01:05 AM
A few weeks ago we were eating at one of those Japanese restaurants where they cook in front of you and put on a show. Flaming onion volcano, etc.It's called "teppanyaki".

I've never tipped the chef at one, nor have I ever seen anyone else tip the chef. I'm sure the chef gets a cut of the regular tip.

devilshalo
04-28-05, 01:38 AM
Next time buy him a sake bomb.

Numanoid
04-28-05, 01:49 AM
Next time buy him a sake bomb.
Now that I have seen.

milpool
04-28-05, 07:39 AM
I threw quarters at the chef.

Any coins he caught in his mouth became his tip.

greg9x
04-28-05, 11:24 AM
I've never tipped or seen anyone tip the chef directly... as stated they get cut of the regular tip, plus the meals are usually higher priced for the 'show' .

ChiTownAbs, Inc
04-28-05, 11:25 AM
In the US you would, in Japan it's not necessary.

Michael Corvin
04-28-05, 11:28 AM
plus the meals are usually higher priced for the 'show' .

:up: I think this is a big part of it.

Dimension X
04-28-05, 12:22 PM
I've never tipped or seen anyone tip the chef directly... as stated they get cut of the regular tip, plus the meals are usually higher priced for the 'show' .
:up: What he said.

PixyJunket
04-28-05, 12:29 PM
Hibachi fried rices gets me all hot and bothered. :drool:

Buford T Pusser
04-28-05, 02:43 PM
Okay so I won't tip the guy. Thanks!

Xander
04-29-05, 11:59 AM
Whenever we eat at a teppanyaki restaurant, I've always assumed that the chef gets part of the tip we leave for the meal. So I've never even thought about tipping him separately.

Buford T Pusser
04-29-05, 02:45 PM
Whenever we eat at a teppanyaki restaurant, I've always assumed that the chef gets part of the tip we leave for the meal. So I've never even thought about tipping him separately.

So you tip more than 15 percent?

devilshalo
04-29-05, 02:56 PM
You tip the chef like you would a sushi chef. It's part of the bill and should be around 15 - 20% (unless you are in a group of 6 or more and the gratuity was added on). Other than that, buy the guy a beer and sake and toast during his show.

Buford T Pusser
04-29-05, 10:07 PM
The beer and toast would be interesting. If everyone did it, the show could really get interesting.

cruzness
04-29-05, 11:16 PM
You tip the chef like you would a sushi chef. It's part of the bill and should be around 15 - 20% (unless you are in a group of 6 or more and the gratuity was added on). Other than that, buy the guy a beer and sake and toast during his show.
It is pretty much a tradition to at least include him in a sake toast before he is done. And on top of that I'll usually buy them a beer at least. This is what my friends and I have always done when we go to our favorite Japanese steakhouse. (Takeya's in Ormond Beach FL) I think they usually get a portion of the tip so I usually tip about 20%.

Buford T Pusser
04-29-05, 11:48 PM
Our place must be full of teatotalers. I've never seen anyone drink sake there.

Buford T Pusser
04-30-05, 09:30 PM
We just got back from the restaurant. Good time had by all.

The chef did not even make a move like he wanted a tip and none was offered.

Xander
05-02-05, 11:09 AM

If everything is good, we usually tip 20%.

SoSpacey
05-02-05, 01:35 PM
I always heard it was rude to try and tip the chef at either a sushi or hibachi restaurant.

Also, dont even dare put soy sauce on your fried rice. They say its like going to Peter Luger's and putting ketchup on your Steak.

devilshalo
05-02-05, 01:48 PM
Also, dont even dare put soy sauce on your fried rice. They say its like going to Peter Luger's and putting ketchup on your Steak.
Soy sauce on fried rice is fine. Soy sauce on plain white rice is not.