Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Phantom of the Opera: Collector's Edition'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-26-05, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Lecter's DVD review of The Phantom of the Opera: Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15486 and...

I read Scott Lecter's DVD review of The Phantom of the Opera: Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15486 and...

For some reason, in every review I've read about POTO the critic, including Scott Lecter, trashes Gerard Butler, who plays the Phantom.

My suspicion is that this is all just a "I don't know anything about singing so I better jump on the bandwagon so nobody knows." I thought Butler did a great job! The original trashing of him probably started with some übersnob critic other critics parrot. Who knows? Maybe there's intrigue here, a critic weilding his/her power to destroy Butler's career! Where's the humanity!?!?

American Idol has turned everyone into amateur vocal critics. (Didn't you think Butler was a bit pitchy in some songs, Scott? That maybe he started out weak, but then pulled it off by the end?)

I don't claim to be a vocal critic, I just know what I like, and I liked Butler's and everyone else's performance in this film, and I think Scott, and most other critics, are just following falling in line like a bunch of dumb sheep. It's like Carroll O'Connor said in an interview I saw yesterday in E!: "Critics are just a bunch of dunbells! They don't create art, and they don't recognize it when they see it!"

LOL!
Old 04-26-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. Critics weilding their limitless power to destroy careers is a serious problem, especially here at DVD Talk! Lecter has destroyed so many careers already in his brief time here ... when will the madness stop?!?!

das
Old 04-26-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In Soviet Russia, dunbells critique YOU.
Old 04-26-05, 04:57 PM

Lecter-

I think this review is right on target. Your views on Gerard Butler are very true (in my eyes) keep up with the great work ...and dont listen to the negative feed back you are an inspirational writer.

look out for the B.L. aka BUTERLETTUCE
Old 04-27-05, 02:43 AM

I really appreciated this review, actually. It was honest and its obvious the writer held no real grudge against Butler. He simply didn't care for his vocal performance. As I said in the e-mail I wrote him, I absolutley agree with what he had to say about Rossum and the production qualities of the film.

I do think theres some truth in your comment though, monbois. I am studying voice, and from what I can tell, Gerard's vocal ability is no worse than that of praised individuals in such films of recent years. (If that makes sense...that sentence seems a little iffy to me :P ). There are technical faults, but from what I can tell, it mainly boils down to whether or not you like his vocal quality, or in other words, the tone of his voice. I did like Butler and his performance, but even though its difficult for me to admit (since this is one of my favorite movies), I do think he was slightly miscast.
Old 04-27-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have'nt seen the film yet but, I did hear him singing in a fairly long and involved making-of featurette. and in a word, Butler's vocals are...wait for it...horrible. As a professional vocalist, it pains me to hear what should have been a very strong & moving performance presented in such a lackluster and underwhelming way. Overdubbing his voice or letting the vocalist who performed the song on the soundtrack would have been a better choice than letting him do it himself.
Old 05-28-05, 04:15 AM

I wish everyone would stop criticizing Gerard's singing....he did a wonderful job and I'd rather listen to him sing the Phantom of the Opera rather than Crawford or Wilkinson....his voice, his looks, his acting are what makes the movie so attractive....I am not forgetting Emmy or Patrick, they both did a wonderful job, but they both had voice lessons from an early age....
Old 05-28-05, 04:20 AM

Why is that if you LIKE Mr. Butler's performance, then obviously you're offering your own personal opinion ... but if you do NOT like Mr. Butler's performance, then you're just a clueless sheep who's going along with the crowd -- a crowd of critics who just all of a sudden and completely arbitrarily decided to criticize Gerard Butler for no good reason?

Personally I think just about every single aspect of "Phantom" sucks dry ice. I think it's a terrible movie. So why am I not in here calling fans mindless drones who only like the guy cuz "he's hot"?

The best critics help you to see certain movies in a different light. Nowhere is it written that you must agree with a movie critic. But maybe you can respect their opinions while enjoying a good read. And if you love a movie, go love it. Why should anybody have to agree with you?
Old 05-30-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I love the movie!

But, my wife who has a 4 year degree in vocals (and has sung in Europe, and with both the New York and San Fran philharmonics) also agrees with the reviews that his voice could have been better. That is only a small take away from a very enjoyable movie.
Old 05-31-05, 10:19 AM

I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket so far be it from me to speak to any of the vocal aspects....but I liked the DVD and everyone who performed in it. A. L. Webber is a genius.
Old 05-31-05, 11:57 AM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
Why is that if you LIKE Mr. Butler's performance, then obviously you're offering your own personal opinion ... but if you do NOT like Mr. Butler's performance, then you're just a clueless sheep who's going along with the crowd -- a crowd of critics who just all of a sudden and completely arbitrarily decided to criticize Gerard Butler for no good reason?

Personally I think just about every single aspect of "Phantom" sucks dry ice. I think it's a terrible movie. So why am I not in here calling fans mindless drones who only like the guy cuz "he's hot"?

The best critics help you to see certain movies in a different light. Nowhere is it written that you must agree with a movie critic. But maybe you can respect their opinions while enjoying a good read. And if you love a movie, go love it. Why should anybody have to agree with you?

I agree.

I noticed that TONE as well... if you liked Butler, you are somehow being "objective" but if not then you are just a moron who should keep your opinion to yourself.

Here's the problem I had:

Like Star Wars, too many people treat POTO as some sort of religion that cannot be even fairly critiqued. Yes, the Stage Musical was incredible. But for me, this movie was a let down as well. And its like POTO fans cant accept to hear others state such blasphemy.

What I liked about the film:

The opening was incredible
The production design and costumes were stunning
The ending was good and bittersweet

What I didnt like:

Gerard Butlers performance. I didnt feel anything from him. And yes, his singing had me CRINGING every single time he sang

Christine wasnt that great either.

There was TOO MUCH SINGING... this wasnt a stage play, it was an adaptation to film. there was so much dialogue that was sung that simply didnt work in the form of song... it should have been acted and not sang. On stage, this didnt bug me..here, it did.

The director:

Joel Schumacher is noted for great production but boring story telling..again here he did the same...he gave me something great to look at, but everything else left me cold.

Those are my OPINIONS. I am NOT a paid critic and I certainly am not part of the "sheeple" population. Sorry to shatter the concept of those who like to paint everything into the tradtional two category system..ie...its either black or white....you are either this or that form of mentality.

Phantom of the Opera: 6/10