Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

REAL basic hardware hookup Q but NOT in FAQ...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All I am just asking beacuse I see people wire their home audio so many diffrent ways it is funny. Even supposed "professional" people seem to react to my questions oddly. I always read the manuals and so I can tell you my home audio is working fine and I can say I do not even have probles with other setups like DTS sound BUT I am I guess a little Obsessive compulsive and when I have a question stuck in my head and I cannot get a answer than makes sense to me I don't stop digging...

ANYWAY the question is if you have a TV that has a full connections and the same goes for your DVD player and reciver (both DD/DTS) hooked up to a 5.1 speaker setup is their more than one "right" way to connect all your gear for sound to play thru your speeakers assuming a standard cable/sat TV connection?

Right now I have the cable going into the cable box (of course) and then into the TV. I have the DVD player connecting into to the TV. I have the TV connected into the Sterio reciver. I know their are many details that could be added (what type of equipment, and what type of connection is being used, etc.) BUT I want to keep this very basic as I only have an applied physic degree so sometimes you have to go slow with me

another way of putting the question is do I have to have everything (TV,DVD, reciver, anything else) conected to everything and is their a basic "universal" flow of audio and video signals between technical gear?

I am looking for a big picture discussion.

anyone who has seen this question answered before I appologize in advace and any posting of said link would be MOST welcome.

Elias
Old 04-26-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elias.

Hello -- Your question seemed kind of hit-and-miss, but I will go ahead and answer what I think you asked....

If you have a Cable Box and DVD Player hooked up to you system, then the setup is pretty straightforward. The basic setup would be:

a) Cable Box video feed into the TV
1) Cable Box Audio into the receiver "cable" (or similar) input.

b) DVD Player video feed into TV
1) DVD Player 5.1 audio feed(s) into the "DVD" (or similar) input

That's basically it -- however, it's up to you whether you want RCA, Coax, Optical, Component, S-Video, etc for the above connections... I am assuming that if you have your DVD player hooked up properly for 5.1 output, then you are already using optical, coax, or 5.1 analog connections...

There ya go,

Matt
Old 04-26-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 425 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Elias.

Hello -- Your question seemed kind of hit-and-miss, but I will go ahead and answer what I think you asked....

If you have a Cable Box and DVD Player hooked up to you system, then the setup is pretty straightforward. The basic setup would be:

a) Cable Box video feed into the TV
1) Cable Box Audio into the receiver "cable" (or similar) input.

b) DVD Player video feed into TV
1) DVD Player 5.1 audio feed(s) into the "DVD" (or similar) input

That's basically it -- however, it's up to you whether you want RCA, Coax, Optical, Component, S-Video, etc for the above connections... I am assuming that if you have your DVD player hooked up properly for 5.1 output, then you are already using optical, coax, or 5.1 analog connections...

There ya go,

Matt
Matt is exactly right and I might add,

for the audio of your DVD player you SHOULD have 5.1 to your surround receiver and you COULD ALSO feed a basic audio singnal to your TV. Some want this in case they want to watch a DVD without surround on.