DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TIVO question

Old 04-25-05, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIVO question

Hi. I'm looking into Tivo but looking for any advice. Currently, I have a high def TV with the HD Samsung receiver. I just want tivo to record shows that I'm not home in time to watch. I know I won't be able to record the HD channels, but that's not a big deal. How does the tivo box work? It doesn't replace my existing receiver does it? Because then I'd lose my high def capabilities since the tivo box that directv offers isn't high def. Or does it kind of hook up like a VCR as a stand alone unit?
Old 04-25-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would need to get a Directivo (directv and tivo receiver combined). Yes, it would take the place of your HD receiver, but you could use them both. How many lines do you have running to your TV area now? Run 3. Hook one up to the HD receiver and the other two to the directivo receiver. Hook the HD receiver to one of the inputs on the TV and the directivo to a different input. Now they will work independently. When you want to watch recorded shows, just put your TV on that input. When you want to watch HD live, just put the TV on that one.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=236681

Stew
Old 04-25-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, DirecTV does offer a HD Tivo for $999 or less. But it may not be a good buy at this point, as it will be partly obsolete as soon as the MPEG4 channels (HD locals) come online, which will start this year.
Old 04-25-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly. DirectTV does have an awsome HD Tivo that lets you record to HD channels and play one back at the same time. Also, its very easy to open up and extract HD content (and add disk space). The problem is that DTV is going to MPEG4 and rendering the boxes useless in the months/years to come.

I guess all those folks are getting screwed, even if DTV offers a trade-in value for the Hughes boxes
Old 04-26-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the buzz from DTV says those who have a HD DirecTiVo will have them swapped out for little or no money.

I've had mine for a year now and don't regret the upgrade at all.
Old 04-26-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

tacoman,
D* is working on at least 2 other DVR technologies for HD recording. It is assumed that one of these will exist once MPEG4 is necessary, or the Tivo will be reworked with the new decoder. What everyone is worried about is the functionality of the different, future DVRs. Tivo is the best, and a downgrade is expected.

Also, the SD channels will remain MPEG2-equivalent as they are now. So the HDTivo will always work for those channels. Plus it should continue to work for OTA HD channels. It makes it a possible buy even now when the obsoletion is known and looming ever nearer. I just wish they'd knock the price down, I'd have already ordered one if it was 1/2 the price.
Old 04-26-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad you reminded me of the OTA HD signals being mpg2, Spiky. I'd say 95% of my HD recording is from my antenna for local HD. If the new HD DVR ends up costing me a huge chunk of change, that 5% isn't really worth the upgrade.
Old 05-15-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Actually, DirecTV does offer a HD Tivo for $999 or less. But it may not be a good buy at this point, as it will be partly obsolete as soon as the MPEG4 channels (HD locals) come online, which will start this year.
Only in certain markets, though.

If you can get an HDTivo for some of the prices I've seen online, it's well worth it.
Old 05-16-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also a rumored price reduction on the HDTiVo, possibly within the next few days: $699.
Old 05-16-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not a rumor. The new price is 699 starting tomorrow. You can get it at Best Buy for that today, most likely.