Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Darkness -- Reviews??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darkness -- Reviews??

I saw in the Best Buy flyer that this movie is coming out on Tuesday. I was happy to see that it said "Unrated" on the cover. Are there any reviews out there?
Old 04-25-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You might just want to check the "REVIEWS" segment of the forum. If there are any here, that's where they'll be.
Old 04-25-05, 02:06 PM

I did check, that's why I made this thread.
Old 04-25-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shouldn't you have made it in that forum?
Old 04-25-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
just watched it.
first 80 minutes were very slow almost boring.
nothing really happens.
last half hr or so picked up a bit but still wasnt interesting.

nothing really seems to make sense. one character is angry sometimes and violent for no reason other then its in the script.
another lets someone escape for no reason, just changed mind at last second i guess.

is it haunted house, is it possession, is it occault. i
maybe it was all of them.

most of the scares were the typical loud lightning or very loud sudden music, even the occasional scary loud scream.

and what kind of accent did some of these actors have?

i had to use subtitles to understand them.

bad movie.
Old 04-25-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the difference between the rated and unrated versions (and the Korean or Spanish version that I rented a while back from Nicheflix)? I wouldn't mind buying the R1 release but wouldn't mind knowing the difference in the versions first.
Old 04-25-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad that this thread was started. I had heard that this was one of those movies that really suffered from being cut down and then shelved. Many who'd seen it unrated said it was pretty good, so I've been holding out hope that someone would post a review here and give me and idea what they think. The odds remain long that it's really any better, as I certainly believe the extended The Grudge won't be any better if you didn't like the first one, but one of these days an unrated movie will actually come out on dvd and totally change people's opinion in a big way. Still hoping we get a review here soon to see if that's the case here.
Old 04-25-05, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
but one of these days an unrated movie will actually come out on dvd and totally change people's opinion in a big way.
I think "unrated" is usually a marketing scam. Now, if you talk about UNCUT or Director's Cut, I think Daredevil: DC DID change people's opinions on the flick. I for one, see the director's cut of DD, as a WAY better film.
Old 04-25-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
I think "unrated" is usually a marketing scam. Now, if you talk about UNCUT or Director's Cut, I think Daredevil: DC DID change people's opinions on the flick. I for one, see the director's cut of DD, as a WAY better film.

I hear what you're saying. Most of the time they add 14 seconds of nothing and call in UNRATED. But I've heard this movie was chopped up a lot with the intent of making it another "toothless" PG-13 movie, rather than letting it be R-rated (god forbid). Either way, it never even got a proper release here, but, and I'm only going by things that I've read, this is truly a film that is "supposed" to have a completely different look and feel in its UNRATED version. Now, of course it could still suck, but I've hoped for the best and have hoped to see a review here.
Old 04-25-05, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
shouldn't you have made it in that forum?

Yes he should have...
Old 04-26-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was the most bland, watered-down, BORING, cliched horror movie I'ver ever seen in the theater. Avoid at all costs.
Old 04-26-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
OK -- this is the U.S. "version" of Darkness? Wasn't there a Spanish film (I thought) called Darkness?

And is this worth a rental or rental-styled (
Old 04-26-05, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=The Bus]OK -- this is the U.S. "version" of Darkness? Wasn't there a Spanish film (I thought) called Darkness?

And is this worth a rental or rental-styled (
Old 04-26-05, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

Here is what IMDB said was cut:

Darkness cuts to get a PG-13

I have had the Spanish 2-disc version for a couple of years now and it is one of the creepest movies I had seen. I still perfer Los Sin Nombre (directors first film, based on The Namless by Ramsey Campbell) but this movie is still good.

IMDB also has the original runtime at 102 minutes and the US cut at 88 minutes.
Old 04-26-05, 10:12 AM

ok yea i would like to read dvd reviews of darkness not what you people think of this flick i cant wait to pick this flick up today,saw it in theaters twice and i loved it
Old 04-26-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/darkne...2d37a5bd2e2930

Quote:
Before we begin, though, a word about the "unrated" version of the movie I reviewed. As you know, "unrated" simply means the film was never submitted to the motion-picture ratings board. Buena Vista's Dimension Films bought the North American distribution rights to this 2002 movie and then didn't release it until 2004, after they had edited it to get a PG-13 rating and, presumably, a bigger audience. Now, the folks at BV are releasing it on DVD both in its original form (the unedited and unrated version we have here) and in its PG-13 theatrical-release form. The differences, as far as I can tell, are a reinsertion of fourteen minutes in the unrated version, 102 minutes vs. 88 minutes, and a widescreen format in the unrated version vs. a fullscreen format in the PG-13 version.

So, what is contained in the additional fourteen minutes? I couldn't tell you because I have never seen the edited version. What I can say is that the unrated version contains no nudity, no sex, and very little blood or gore. There are a few profane words and a couple of scenes that might be fairly intense for younger viewers, but, really, the "unrated" designation would seem to be as much a marketing gimmick as anything else. I prefer calling it the "original" version because it had not yet been altered in story content or screen size.
Old 04-27-05, 09:19 AM

picked up the unrated,great video,and this cut runs smoother than the theatrical
Old 04-27-05, 12:34 PM

Can anyone tell me if the US Unrated version of this movie is the same as the uncut version that was released everywhere else? Or is it still the butchered US released with a couple of extra minutes that make it, UNRATED??
Old 04-27-05, 01:38 PM

Can anyone tell me if the US Unrated version of this movie is the same as the uncut version that was released everywhere else? Or is it still the butchered US released with a couple of extra minutes that make it, UNRATED??
oye besino,
from what ive heard,this is about the
same exact cut that made it to international theaters,
the cuts (of gore and language)dont amount to much but
watching the movie in the theater felt like something was missing from it
Old 04-27-05, 02:44 PM

hey neighbor :P

Yeah, from what I heard, some of the important deaths were not seen on screen, so people were confused. I mainly asked because every review I've read of the Unrated US dvd is pretty much ripping it a new a-hole. I don't get it, I saw the international version and I thought it was pretty entertaining and atmospheric. I guess people ask for more nowadays? I don't know.
Old 04-28-05, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
hey neighbor :P

Yeah, from what I heard, some of the important deaths were not seen on screen, so people were confused. I mainly asked because every review I've read of the Unrated US dvd is pretty much ripping it a new a-hole. I don't get it, I saw the international version and I thought it was pretty entertaining and atmospheric. I guess people ask for more nowadays? I don't know.

i dunno man,

i had a blast when i went to go see this movie at dolphin mall(those friday night teenage audiences are the best lol) and i loved this movie,it got ripped to shreds but then again,aint no audience like a miami audience haha,i guess people went in expecting to watch an oscar worth film,oh well thats there loss.i loved this movie,and its been a bitch to find it at best buy,i went to the one on bird and in kendall drive but nothing,but i got it anyway somewhere else..