Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Consoles Coming Out - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 03:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Consoles Coming Out - Please Read

As the new consoles start coming, I notice the threads getting more and more personal and heated. So as one of the mods of this forum, I'd like to call on a peaceful transition for next generation of consoles.

Here's a few things I think will help smooth the transition:

- When posting negative things about any console coming, try and do so in a polite and rational manner. Basically don't troll.

- Try to not be constantly negative, say your peace in the appropriate thread but there's no need to repeat it over and over again. I'm not saying you shouldn't post your honest opinion, but posting it 100X will grate on people's nerves. Especially when the soonest new console is still A YEAR AWAY.

- Keep an open mind. THE SOONEST NEXT GEN CONSOLE IS A YEAR AWAY. For example if you are a diehard Nintendo person, then don't go and vigoriously attack Sony because it's not your cup of tea. Maybe next generation the Sony will be for you. Every new generation gives us a chance to reinvent ourselves. And if it's not for you, who cares? Why attack it anyway. Negativity is the biggest problem with the posts IMO. Negativity causes people to defend something and the argument ensues. Let's leave the angry pissing contest threads to the Political Forum, mmmmkay?

- Don't take stuff too personally. If someone says something negative about your console, and they are a broken record about it, add them to your Ignore List. Problem solved.

- Let's have fun. Some new sweet-ass consoles are coming out, how can this be a bad thing? This is the stuff we love! I know I'll probably end up owning all 3 consoles just like last generation. Thanks to the fact that the releases are somewhat staggered should help do this.

This is a great forum with some great members, if it wasn't none of us would come here. Differences make the world go round but we all have one thing in common, we love gaming. So let's go out, be positive, have some fun and enjoy the hell out of the next generation, should be a good one!
Old 04-24-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
good post. Thanks, boss.

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
- Don't take stuff too personally. If someone says something negative about your console, and they are a broken record about it, add them to your Ignore List. Problem solved.
I suppose that one's for me. I'll do my best. I don't take any of this personally at all... was just remarking on the absurdity of it all. While I don't like using the ignore feature, I'll do my best to ignore things like this if it'll help keep the peace and make your job easier.
Old 04-24-05, 04:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm unsticking the console bashing thread, which referred to trolling more or less, but you can find it here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172249
Old 04-24-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WORD!!! i just hope they all let us take our game saves to the new console land i don't want to have to rebeat games i already have!!!
Old 04-24-05, 09:47 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good post.

Especially the ignore user feature reminder. I think some people would add some years to their lives by reducing stress if they'd take advantage of that feature.

People are going to post opinions, positive and negative, and they are going to get posted multiple times as similar threads get posted and the same topics come up over and over again as time goes by.

Mods could probably cut down some of this by merging similar thread. i.e. Not really a need for the two X-box 2 threads right now.

Maybe just have a "One and Only" thread for discussing new info on each of the consoles (1 thread for each console) so all the discussing for each will be in one place and prevent the same opinions popping up repeatedly in different threads?
Old 04-24-05, 09:55 PM
Retired

Oh, and the X-box 360 is coming out this fall, so the soonest console is about 6 months away, rather than a year.
Old 04-24-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Isn't the Xbox 360 6-7 months away?

Edit: Hinkle beat me to it.

Last edited by Drexl; 04-24-05 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-24-05, 09:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Whateva
Old 04-24-05, 10:07 PM
Retired

I think you need to add "don't attack others' opinions" to the list.

If it's a troll type post, report it to a moderator and move on. Don't feed the troll.

If it's a rationally explained opinion that you don't agree with, either ignore it or discuss it politely.

A lot of the "reposting" of opinions, at least for me, comes from having to reframe stuff to get my point across from people jumping all over and picking apart negative opinions about a console that they disagree on. i.e. I had to post way more than I wanted to in the thread about why the X-box was too big for me as people said stuff like "sounds like the problem is with your HT" etc. which caused me to have to explain further why it was too big and that it wasn't my HT but where I wanted it in my HT blah blah blah.

If people would just respect the opinions of others, and not attack and belabor every single point, things would go much smoother and much less repetitively.

I mean somone could have just said, "I'm fine with the size of the X-box." and moved on. No need to bash my HT setup and say I need to buy a new one just for one game console.
Old 04-24-05, 10:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Good post.

Especially the ignore user feature reminder. I think some people would add some years to their lives by reducing stress if they'd take advantage of that feature.

People are going to post opinions, positive and negative, and they are going to get posted multiple times as similar threads get posted and the same topics come up over and over again as time goes by.
Josh: it's a double edged sword. Yes some people need to just ignore users, etc, but on the other hand if a user jumps into every thread and say the same thing over again, and doesn't seem to every change their opinion, it seems counterproductive to discussion. Also just that person could end the argument by not replying to whoever seems to jump on that person. Instead if they just report it to a mod and add the offending person to their ignore list, it would greatly reduce chances of an argument happening.

The thing that baffles me is gamers are so territorial. The fact is having all this competition is GREAT for the consumer. If Sony & Nintendo were the only 2 consoles out there, or Sony and Xbox, or whatever, innovation & price competition would go to hell.

Lastly, I can see someone hating a game, but why a system? That part I don't get.
Old 04-24-05, 10:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think you need to add "don't attack others' opinions" to the list.
People should be allowed to attack opinions, at least in a logical, non-trolling style. Just as long as it doesn't get personal or trollish. Should basically come down to "Don't take stuff too personally."
Old 04-25-05, 08:40 AM
Retired

I agree. There's a difference between arguing a point and attacking the opinion. It's the personal/trollish type responses I was referring too.

A lot of people moved away from direct personal attacks into rudely attacking opinions to not get suspended/banned.

And again you can probably cut down on people posting the same thing in threads by closing/merging threads that are similar.

I think a one and only thread for each console would help a lot. Not really a need for more than that to discuss the merits of each piece of info we find out about each console. Obviously games can have their own threads.

I don't get why anyone would hate a system either. I have all three this gen and neither love nor hate any of them. They all have their strengths and weakenesses.

I don't think there's a lot (if any) haters any more. You don't see much sheer console bashing anymore. It seems more the problem is that some people love/strongly defend a particular console (one or two regulars for each system) and get very touch when anyone posts anything negative about it. So essentially the problem has flipped around this time IMO.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 04-25-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-25-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny Story:

A while back, I was at the Metreon Sony Store and there was this employee that just went on and on about the PS2, and just started trashing the Sega Dreamcast. I told him that I had all systems, and to me they each had their pros and cons and it didnt' matter cuz I enjoyed playing each of them. Another employee then joined in and said he wished he hadn't sold his DC 'cuz it had a good number of games for it, mainly Soul Calibur for him. The other guy just kinda slumped and walked away.

A couple of things to keep in mind IMO:

1. True gamers don't care who makes the system as long as they have good games to support them.

2. Those who refuse to buy other systems because of loyalty will miss out on a lot of great gaming.

3. Unless you actually work for a console maker, your loyalty should be to gaming and not the system manufacturer. This is debateable since I used to work for Sony but I also supported other systems. In fact, like me, a lot of my co-workers had all the systems.

4. Those who bash other systems could be trying to justify purchasing the only system they bought.

5. It's all about the games.
Old 04-25-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I build gaming PCs, so that's the only thing I'm required to be 'loyal' to. The volume of my posting in this forum is a reflection of the amount of gaming I do... I don't really post much here anymore and I haven't really been playing games much. Looks like it's gonna be same-old same-old with this generation console launch - I'm gonna go into hiding.
Old 04-27-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Looks like it's gonna be same-old same-old with this generation console launch - I'm gonna go into hiding.
As long as you keep pulling those rumours in you better keep posting 'em .
Old 05-04-05, 11:33 AM

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=142

'Nuff said