Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars convention in Indianapolis (pics, stories)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-23-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Shows how much I pay attention to what's going on, and how busy I've been with work. I never even knew this was going on until just before I posted this, and I live just outside Indy.

Anybody have pics or stories of the convention to share? Post 'em here!
Old 04-23-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone pick up extra Talking vaders?
Old 04-23-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some rumors that lucas announced two star wars tv shows in near future, that is about all I hear so far.
Old 04-23-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
this is from the other thread.
Other tidbits McCallum revealed: Rick and George finished the movie the day before yesterday. They screened it and it is complete! Steven Spielberg also saw the movie this week and gave his seal of approval.

Press screenings begin in early May - just before the charity screenings on May 12th.

- ROTS has a final running time of 2 hours 11 minutes. (McCallum joked it had 54 minutes of credits.) Lucas finished the film on Tuesday and screening it with Steven Spielberg (who gave it a Thumbs Up).

- They finished the final shot of ROTS on the same sound stage at Elstree Studios that Lucas first started filming ANH on.

- A fan noted that in the footage we saw, Vader's hands are no longer clamped in the upright position. McCallum complimented the fan on catching it and said it would make sense in the movie.

- Lucas got a script for Indiana Jones 4 last week and Spielberg plans to make it the film he does after his next one (presumably after War of the Worlds).

- When asked about the upcoming TV series, he said they haven't done any development work on it yet, but a live action series was definitely planned.

- McCallum confirmed again they plan to do Star Wars in 3-D, but they don't know when. They are currently limited by the few number of digital screens, few companies that can do the conversion from 2-D to 3-D, and more.

- When asked if Lucas would continue tinkering with the films, McCallum joked that he didn't think Lucas would be done until he was dead. McCallum said he had nightmares about Lucas and his daughter calling him in the middle of the night when he was old asking about Star Wars edits for TPM.

- McCallum stated that that will be making Revenge of the Sith availible for screening for the troops in Iraq. Not only that, but it would be WIDELY availible. The process is moving for this to happen.

- McCallum confirmed that they are planning on doing marathon screenings of the saga with George Lucas in the US like he's doing in the UK.

- McCallum and Jim Ward dodged questions about getting the Ewoks and Droids complete series on DVD (as well as the old "making of" shows about the movies). It was obvious from their lack of response that it was in the works.
Old 04-23-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to the last one and it was all standing in line broken up by attending a few sessions and grabbing a few action figures ... passed this time, but supposedly, the lines are even longer this year.
Old 04-23-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Anyone pick up extra Talking vaders?
I want one of those!!!
Old 04-23-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
A COLD START
9,000 people spent the night outside. That doesn't sound like such a big deal if you're in Southern California, but here in Indiana that is no small feat.

Despite the pouring rain and 40 degree weather (not counting windchill), a sold out crowd waited faithfully to be one of the few, the proud that got to see Lucas with their own eyes.

The presentation was great, but my hat is off to the fans that endured the weather. These were the hardcore of the hardcore fans. Pouring rain, police disbanding the line, intense cold, biting wind and frustration with volunteers didn't discourage them from this once in a lifetime opportunity.

A WARM GREETING
George Lucas entered to thunderous applause that lasted for several minutes. The fans stood to their feet to honor the writer/director of their favorite science fiction franchise. The Flanneled One lived up to his name, wearing a blue plaid Marin flannel and blue jeans.

The host, Jay Laga'aia did an adequate job of keeping the conversation moving, but was obviously upstaged by Lucas. Even McCallum, a normal celebrity producer, was a footnote in the morning's events.

THE TALK
The talk started with a short bio video with hilarious clips of him clowning around on the set. The fan favorite was him with a lightsaber through his neck, and another where he was being painted blue. Then there was a short introduction of Lucas by his children. Lucas talked a bit about how much Star Wars means to fans and how excited he was by everyone that is in attendance today.

George was excited about the fact that "it is finished" and the thirty year journey is now complete. "It has been a rewarding experience," he said, amazed by the passion of fans around the world.

Several fan questions asked about the origin of the movies, discussing the scripts movement from Anakin to Luke, the original story being Anakin and his two children. The space battle was the beginning of all things Star Wars in his mind.

THE FUTURE OF STAR WARS
He said there were plans to revamp Star Tours, and how those discussion started with Episode I. He said there were several great things planned, and some awesome ideas.

He also talked about the TV Series! Lucasfilm is now going to move into television. The first series is 3-D animation, a regular series that will last 1/2 hour per episode. He's also working on a spinoff TV series for characters that have appeared in the films. It will be live-action, and based on what he called a "really great idea." They will not started shooting for about a year, and it will be structured much like Young Indy.

They will shoot the first year all at once, which also means writing the script all at once. He will "get it started" then hand it off to others to carry on.

When asked if was Episode III everything that you wanted it to be? "Yes, it is." Everyone has their own opinions about the films, and he has been happy with all of the films. "Not six separate movies, one big movie." Like a mini-series, he suggested. "They all build on top of each other, you will see things in 4,5,6 that make more sense no after you've seen Episode III."

Then he joked with Jay Laga'aia about being a clonetrooper, even though Jay actually appeared as Captian Typho in the film. Hey - we all get things wrong! Lucas also noted that about 3,000 clonetroopers appear in the last film.

It was a great time - terribly short - but really a unique opportunity to see the man behind it all, George Lucas.

Theforce.net has a ton of pics.
Old 04-23-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I went to the last one and it was all standing in line broken up by attending a few sessions and grabbing a few action figures ... passed this time, but supposedly, the lines are even longer this year.
Same here. I was an unfortunate victim of the action figure debacle and had to pay $40 right outside to get mine. Fuckin' greedy ass scalpers.

- McCallum stated that that will be making Revenge of the Sith availible for screening for the troops in Iraq. Not only that, but it would be WIDELY availible. The process is moving for this to happen.
that is awesome.
Old 04-23-05, 06:19 PM

Have you seen how many Vaders are listed on ebay? whew ... though they seem to be going for less than the Jorg Sacul ones from the last Celebration. If they follow the trend for the last one, they should start selling for about half of what they are now once the hype over the movie had died down.
Old 04-23-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Pics

More found here:
http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/c3
http://www.rebelscum.com/c3.asp
Old 04-23-05, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! Who knew storm troopers were so hot. Check out those cans.
Old 04-23-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, even a Stormtrooper can hit the can, but Jack Bauer can't?
Old 04-23-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

If all the Stormtrooperettes had to wear a uniform like that, i'd join the Empire in a heartbeat..
Old 04-23-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rogue588
If all the Stormtrooperettes had to wear a uniform like that, i'd join the Empire in a heartbeat..
False advertisement. Those could be A cups underneath that armor.
Old 04-24-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a couple I thought were interesting.

Old 04-24-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Did anyone pickup an extra one of those "Exclusive" Sandtrooper busts made by Gentle Giant? I'm trying to acquire one, but the prices on ebay are insane!!!
Old 04-24-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are a couple shots from the Associated Press today. The first is Bai Ling.

Old 04-24-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

some massive gallaries.

http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/c3
Old 04-24-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
who does Bai Ling play in EpIII?
Old 04-24-05, 11:46 PM

Okay, just a little curious for those that were there at the Lucas event. Who is this little boy shaking hands with Lucas.

Old 04-24-05, 11:51 PM

I can just picture Lucas in that picture saying to himself "I am one stinking rich, deadly sexy swinging bachelor. Think I'll get laid tonight!"
Old 04-25-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
there's always some dumbass

WRONG MOVIE GENIUS
Old 04-25-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
there's always some dumbass

WRONG MOVIE GENIUS

ahh, memories of seeing matrix: reloaded on opening night and seeing two guys dressed up for the movie. nothing like having a telephone cord stuck to your ear to make you look like an agent. yawn!
Old 04-25-05, 11:46 AM
Banned

Old 04-25-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Vader toy is now at the shop

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/pro...id=EMAILC00045

Ha! fuck waiting in line at celebration.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.