Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news for a dvd release of "Dinosaurs"?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-05, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The child tv show in the early 90's about the "sinclair family" of dinosaurs with the pan-whacking baby. Sorry if there is a topic on this already, any news, info, or anything would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-23-05, 12:31 PM
Banned

I don't know, but I'd dare say that that is one series that should stay a distant memory. (ie. no DVD release)
Old 04-23-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL
I'm the Baby, Gotta Love ME!!
Old 04-23-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I don't know, but I'd dare say that that is one series that should stay a distant memory. (ie. no DVD release)
Are you serious? I loved this show! It is a good memory of my childhood, watching TGIF and staying up until 9PM on Friday, it was great!
Old 04-23-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i always liked this show when i was younger
Old 04-23-05, 04:58 PM

I absolutely disagree. The whole premise was hilarious, and there were some insanely funny moments.

I also disagree with characterizing it as a children's show. As a sitcom parody, it was often quite subtle and subversive, although you could sense the writers were pulling their punches.

RichC
Old 04-23-05, 05:51 PM
Banned

Well, maybe chalk it up to my age at the time when this aired. College age. Let's just put it this way...watching this kind of show was not at the very top of my list for things to spend time on.
Old 04-23-05, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
I still have all of the eps, but would definitely buy the DVD set if it came out.
Old 04-23-05, 08:20 PM
Banned

Well, maybe chalk it up to my age at the time when this aired. College age. Let's just put it this way...watching this kind of show was not at the very top of my list for things to spend time on.
Yep, checking TVtome, this series aired from '91 to '94 for 3 seasons. Those were my junior college days and my first at a 4-year university.

Quite frankly, I didn't watch much TV at all during the '90s. Most of my time was spent playing Nintendo 64's "007 GoldenEye" and experimenting with the Internet during its infancy in the mid-'90s. Those were my chat room days. Now I spend my time watching the news, DVDs, and typing away on DVD forums.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 04-23-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 09:45 PM

and experimenting with the Internet during its infancy in the mid-'90s.
That would be the Web's infancy. The Internet's infancy was a decade+ earlier, when privately-run BBSes were the norm, Usenet was a place for serious discussion, and text-based services like CompuServe and The Source were the "easier" alternatives.

As for "Dinosaurs," we watched it as a family at the time, and it was notable because it worked for kids and for adults on different levels at the same time, while mostly avoiding outright crudity.

In many ways, I think McFarlane's "Family Guy," at least early on, had the same sense of humor as "Dinosaurs."

RichC
Old 04-23-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember liking this show as well and found it hilarious. Hopefully it still holds up.

"Not the momma,not the momma!!" WACK
Old 04-23-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my friends were just talking about this show the other day. I'd buy a dvd set of it.
Old 04-24-05, 01:34 AM

It would be cool to see Dinosaurs again.
Old 04-27-05, 08:10 PM

any news on a dvd release? I got a vhs today with 2 episodes and loved it...
Old 04-27-05, 09:01 PM

As much as I loved it back then, I can't imagine that it would hold up well. Nostalgia might be doing it some favors...

Remember the DINOSAURS songs or music videos or whatever?

"I'm the baby... gotta love me... big purple eyes... I'm growing steadily... Everybody laughs when I hit my Daddy with a frying pan..."
Old 04-27-05, 10:12 PM
Banned

The show was just plain awsome.... Awsome.... Didn't they eat cats? Or maybe that was alf.... They ate something strange....
Old 04-28-05, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by AdamComic2
As much as I loved it back then, I can't imagine that it would hold up well. Nostalgia might be doing it some favors...

Remember the DINOSAURS songs or music videos or whatever?

"I'm the baby... gotta love me... big purple eyes... I'm growing steadily... Everybody laughs when I hit my Daddy with a frying pan..."
That's the thing... the show itself was considerably more clever and subtle than the promotion and marketing and other peripheral stuff. I suspect a lot of people who are/were put off by it are actually reacting not to the show itself, but to the other crap.

It's like if the only things you knew about the Simpsons during the first couple of seasons were Bart on a t-shirt saying "Cowabunga" or your kids singing "Jingle Bells, Batman smells." Would these things make an adult want to watch the show? (I speak from experience.)

RichC
Old 04-28-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
"Honey, I'm home!"
Old 04-28-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just looking at your collection which consists of a lot of Sci-Fi TV (e.g. Star Trek, Andromeda, Stargate, etc.), and zero comedy (TV or movie), I'd say that you are definitely not the target demographic for this show.

That said, I don't that the many who want this show on DVD would outweigh one person's opinion of someone who doesn't want the show on DVD, esp. considering what he normally buys.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 04-28-05 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you, sir, are most definitely not the momma.
Old 04-28-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved this show, but I have to admit the final epsiode crushed me. totally didn't expect it to end like it did. At least it got an ending though unlike other TGIF shows that ran much longer.
Old 04-28-05, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I loved this show, but I have to admit the final epsiode crushed me. totally didn't expect it to end like it did.
Spoiler:
Ice Ages suck.