Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice needed, please:

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice needed, please:

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed, please:

We at present have tv, cable box and VCR hookedtogether and turn on all three at once - so sound for tv and tapes comes via headphones - which are hooked into Audio Out on back of the VCR.

This suits us just fine for several reasons, but I want to add a DVD player to the mix AND continue using headphones. So, here's the question, or info that I've been given, thus far:

To add a DVD player and channel its sound through headphones, I was told I may have to connect Audio from DVD player to Audio In jacks on a receiver, then hook headphones into Audio out on the receiver.

I was told that the above method, leaving the VCR off & out of the equation should work because if one turned on all equipment at once - including the VCR, which the headphones are now connected to - that the copy protection scheme on the DVD player may "sense" that the VCR was on
and "assume" that I was trying to copy a DVD movie that was playing and would maybe distort the picture to thwart copying, (which is not my interest at any rate, in this case).

On the rear of our '94 Panasonic tv, there's a place to plug in cables marked "To Audio Amp."
I'm guessing that, in this case, Audio cables go from DVD player to the tv and then I could perhaps run cables from "To Audio Amp" on back of tv to a receiver and then plug in headphones to the receiver and that may work, but
I was told that this may depend on if the tv"s sound is Fixed or Variable, and if it could be changed via some setup menu, if our tv has such a menu.
We do at present - with just tv, cable box, and the VCR - have tv set on Mute sound, and can hear sound fine via use of headphones from the VCR, but I don't know if that answers query about tv's sound being Fixed or
Variable).

So... when I buy a DVD player, do I also need to buy a receiver, to achieve my goal of headphones use?
And if so, I'd leave the VCR off in this equation, once I added a DVD player?
(I'm told that most DVD players don't come with a headphone jack, so I must pursue a round robin method of using headphones, it seems).

Appreciate answers on this, and hope this query wasn't
too long or confusing, and that I gave enough info.

Thanks, JB Q
Old 04-22-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try plugging the headphones (im presuming wireless?)into the TV's audio outs and see if you get sound out of them(if you do than its a fixed output). If not try taking the mute off, if still nothing then turn the volume on the TV up(if that works then its variable).
Old 04-22-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome.