DVD Talk
Want to buy a pressure washer. How many PSI/HP do I need? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Want to buy a pressure washer. How many PSI/HP do I need?

tbird2340
04-22-05, 04:13 PM
Ok.. I want to get me a gas pressure washer. None of this electric bull crap. I want it to clean my cement (garage floor, patio slab, front porch, etc), wash our cars, and wash the house (things I can think of at the momment).

How many PSI / HP should I look to get to accomplish things like these? What else can you do with a pressure washer?

What models do you recommend?? Where do you recommend buying it?

Thanks! :)

EDIT TO ADD - I don't want to spend over $300. Hopefully around $200-$275.

Green Jello
04-22-05, 04:16 PM
I recently did a lot of research into these but I bought the electrical type of unit that is just made for home cleaning.

Anyway, what I did come across while researching them is that most people say you don't want to touch a car with more than 2000 PSI. Obviously concrete cleaning can take a lot more.

tbird2340
04-22-05, 04:19 PM
Why'd you end up getting electrical? You don't mean home cleaning INSIDE do you??

Breakfast with Girls
04-22-05, 04:29 PM
I was going to make a joke combining PSI, HP, and using the pressure washer to defeat Giygas, but it really wasn't working.

kvrdave
04-22-05, 04:41 PM
I was going to make a joke combining PSI, HP, and using the pressure washer to defeat Giygas, but it really wasn't working.

Damn, and it had all the elements of great comedy, too. :(

I have a 2400 and in fan spray it is fine on cars, but on beam, it would most definately put a large crease in one.

atlantamoi
04-22-05, 04:52 PM
I'm also interested in one to clean off some dirt that has crept up a foot or so on a couple of spots outside my house. Not worried about spraying the concrete at the bottom, but AM concerned about taking off paint just above the concrete... on hardi-plank. Do these pressure washers allow for safe cleaning of outdoor house paint (low enough pressure?)

kvrdave
04-22-05, 05:07 PM
I'm also interested in one to clean off some dirt that has crept up a foot or so on a couple of spots outside my house. Not worried about spraying the concrete at the bottom, but AM concerned about taking off paint just above the concrete... on hardi-plank. Do these pressure washers allow for safe cleaning of outdoor house paint (low enough pressure?)

At 2400 you won't take paint off (unless maybe it is aluminum siding, or something). I actually tried to do that with mine, and it didn't work. With hardi-plank, and a fan spray, you will be just fine.

tbird2340
04-22-05, 05:13 PM
All these replies but no suggestions?!?!

kvrdave
04-22-05, 05:22 PM
You can get a 4.5 hp one from sears for $300 with a briggs and straton engine.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07175232000

That's 2200 psi, and if you try to go cheaper you will have to get an electric one. Those don't have great reviews compared to the gas powered ones, though.

kvrdave
04-22-05, 05:24 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07175201000

Wait, this is smaller and only $239 and still over 2000 psi. That actually looks like a decent deal.

Dead
04-22-05, 05:45 PM
We've got a 6.5 hp (2200 PSI) power washer that we got at Wal-Mart for about $280...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1717303

It actually will take paint off of some wooden surfaces if you aren't being careful. :)

tbird2340
04-22-05, 06:11 PM
So should I be looking at a minimum 2000 PSI? Is the HP that important or mainly the PSI?

kvrdave
04-22-05, 06:25 PM
I would worry more about who makes the motor, personally. I don't think the HP is that big of a deal. They seem to start at around 4 hp, which would probably still do the job.

OldDude
04-22-05, 07:16 PM
So should I be looking at a minimum 2000 PSI? Is the HP that important or mainly the PSI?

Everything I've read says cleaning power is proportional to the product of pressure, and flow rate. In any hydraulic system, the product of those two is proportional to power. So get the pressure and good flow will take a certain pump capacity and the horsepower to turn it.

Sewso
04-22-05, 08:06 PM
You can get a total of $75.00 back on this one at Amazon right now,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005A1HC/dvdtalk/dvdtalk/qid=1114214573/br=1-12/ref=br_lf_hi_12//102-0073346-6024902?v=glance&s=hi&n=3023471

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-22-05, 11:24 PM

HP doesn't matter. the pressure, and to a lesser extent, the flow is what you should be looking at.

tbird2340
08-15-05, 02:21 PM
Ok, just finished my deck and now I have a valid excuse why I need one (and the wife gave the green light, I think)...

Any more opinions?

Jeeden
08-15-05, 02:31 PM
Everything I've read says cleaning power is proportional to the product of pressure, and flow rate. In any hydraulic system, the product of those two is proportional to power. So get the pressure and good flow will take a certain pump capacity and the horsepower to turn it.

Exactly, pay more attention to the volume of water it pushes rather than the pressure. You can get 200 psi out of a garden hose if you put the right nozzle on it, but you will have no volume. Usually 2.0 gpm will handle whatever you need (decks, siding, driveways, etc). Also, it is very handy if you get one that can "inject" a solution into the stream.

Home depot used to have some nice ones with B&S engines on them, injector systems, 5 pressure nozzles, the wand, and an offer for free accessories like a wand extender, rotating scrubber brush, etc.

tbird2340
08-15-05, 02:35 PM
What do you mean "Inject"? What would you inject? Like a cleaning fluid or something? Does that make it foam or what not??

Thanks. I'll check out the HD..

Jeeden
08-15-05, 02:49 PM
What do you mean "Inject"? What would you inject? Like a cleaning fluid or something? Does that make it foam or what not??

Thanks. I'll check out the HD..

You can buy jugs of solutions at many places like home depot etc. They usually come in a gallon jug and are project specific. I know they have siding wash, deck wash, concrete wash, and a bunch of others. It's concentrated so what you do is take so many parts of the solution and mix it in a bucket with water. Then the pressure washer has a tube that you plug into the washer and dip into the bucket. When you use the low pressure nozzle it injects the solution into the water stream and sprays it on what your washing (just like a self car wash). You then leave it for 4-5 minutes or something, put the higher pressure nozzle on the machine and wash the area with high pressure clean water. It does great for making decks and siding brighter, some have anti mold stuff. you could even do car soap to wash your car.

tbird2340
08-15-05, 02:56 PM
You can buy jugs of solutions at many places like home depot etc. They usually come in a gallon jug and are project specific. I know they have siding wash, deck wash, concrete wash, and a bunch of others. It's concentrated so what you do is take so many parts of the solution and mix it in a bucket with water. Then the pressure washer has a tube that you plug into the washer and dip into the bucket. When you use the low pressure nozzle it injects the solution into the water stream and sprays it on what your washing (just like a self car wash). You then leave it for 4-5 minutes or something, put the higher pressure nozzle on the machine and wash the area with high pressure clean water. It does great for making decks and siding brighter, some have anti mold stuff. you could even do car soap to wash your car.

Woohho... Sounds sweet! Hopefully I can find one of these around $300!

griz
08-15-05, 04:22 PM
I, too, am looking for a pressure washer. It's my anniversary gift from my wife. I found this one at Lowes for $274 and will use a 10% "movers" coupon to get it for $247. It looks to be similar to all the 2200 psi washers out there....B&S motor, etc.

I'm looking to clean the vinyl siding on the house, spray down the cement patio and driveway, and clean the vehicles.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188016-348-20245&lpage=none

tbird2340
08-15-05, 04:28 PM
That looks like a good price. Did you actually "move" to get that coupon? I remember getting one a while back but sure would like another one.. Wouldy ou be willing to "sell" that coupon to me if I pay you the differnce of the $274 - 10%? We plan on making a couple big purchases (cabinets / flooring).

griz
08-15-05, 06:07 PM
I didn't actually move, just signed up.

It's pretty easy to get one.
Go here: http://www.lowesmoving.com/lowesmoving/
Use a new email address. I think you may want to slightly modify you address as well (such as leaving off Ave or St or slightly mispelling the street name). I'm not sure what they check for. I've gotten several over the past few years. If you need a new email address, I can send you a gmail invite.

I think you can also buy them on ebay from people, but make sure they haven't been used yet. Sometimes they get used at Lowes, and people sell a copy to take to Home Depot (Lowes coupons are one time use).

The Bus
08-16-05, 12:21 AM
I used a 1200 psi washer to clean my disgusting deck. 2000 psi may be overkill. (I cleaned concrete/siding/etc).

jfoobar
08-16-05, 01:28 AM
I have the older version of this one from sears, although I think mine is actually 2300. It has done everything I needed it to do very well so far, and I have used it quite a bit.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07175201000

tbird2340
08-16-05, 07:35 AM
I have the older version of this one from sears, although I think mine is actually 2300. It has done everything I needed it to do very well so far, and I have used it quite a bit.

Justin, isn't it a pain to not have wheels? Or did you add them on?

jfoobar
08-16-05, 07:25 PM
Justin, isn't it a pain to not have wheels? Or did you add them on?

Not at all. Even full of gas, the thing weighs 20-25 pounds or so. I just pick it up and move it to the next spot. With the 25' hose I have, that gives me a pretty good cleaning radius.

Bloomiesgirl
08-16-05, 08:13 PM
not sure how much power you'll need, BUT..

My dad purchased one (gas one too) a few years ago and exchanged it for a more powerful one when he thought it wasn't strong enough.

THe new one he got ended up taking the paint right off of his car. Be careful.. you really don't need as much strength to get the job done as you think.

svadas
08-17-05, 07:33 AM
I've got a Delta electric one, and while I don't know off hand any specs, it easily strips the stain right off my deck and cuts into the wood. I'm not so certain a gas model is needed. Remember that those gas models are yet another engine that you need to perform maintenance on.

tbird2340
08-17-05, 07:58 AM
I have my eyes set on this one (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188028-348-20240&lpage=none) at the moment.

$349
Troy-Bilt®
2550 PSI Gas Pressure Washer
HP-Volts: 6.75
PSI (Max): 2550
GPM:: 2.3
Hose Length: 25' High Pressure

Extra power and accessories for a variety of projects
6.75 HP Briggs and Stratton engine with more power, reliabiltiy and easy starting
4 Project Pro™ nozzles have preset pressure and flow settings for optimal cleaning
Easy Start™ pump technology
Stainless Steel Spray Wand
Bonus $100.00 value power cleaning kit with turbo nozzle, scrub and rotating brushes and 112 page project guide
1 Year Limited Warranty

Will I be able to inject stuff into this one?

tbird2340
08-17-05, 09:24 AM
Anyone know if this is legit or not?

http://www.freeroms.com/lowes_coupon.html

atlantamoi
09-08-06, 03:06 PM
Year old bump. Thanks in part to this thread never leaving my mind I finally purchased a Briggs & Stratton gas model from Amazon for $175 (2050 PSI/2.0 GPM 3.75 HP). I've used it for two days now and LOVE the thing. I can't recall the last time I actually had fun cleaning! Worked great on the walks, patio and brick. My neighbor came over and I jokingly said, "Should I clean off the curb as well?" I knew his response would be something about how I'd have the only clean curb on the street. And now I do. It's looks funny, but in a good way.

Unfortunately, some of the dirt and specks of mold on my hardiplank seem to be way too ingrained. I don't think that is going to come off w/out the paint chipping. But I didn't add a cleaning solution first, so maybe that will be a necessity.

Question... have any of you cleaned your garage floor with one of these things? I have some old oil spills that could use a spray. Just a little concerned about getting the walls wet.

SoSpacey
09-08-06, 03:11 PM
are the walls sheetrocked? primed and painted?

atlantamoi
09-08-06, 04:05 PM
are the walls sheetrocked? primed and painted?
Sheetrock. Not sure about primed, but painted white.