Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need cheap but decent home theater speaker recommendations.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-21-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the situation. My friend wants to replace his frankensteined home theater system, but he can't afford very much. He told me he wanted to spend $100 for now and upgrade later, but I asked him if he could spend around $300 so I could have more options since $100 doesn't buy very much. He has to get back to me on that since he has to ask his wife.

This is what he currently has:
Sony home theater reciever (model number unknown, but can find out later if really needed)
Bose 301s for the front L & R
Bose center channel
Small Sonys (model number unknown, but can find out later if really needed) for the rear L & R
Sony (model number unknown, but can find out later if really needed) subwoofer

Here are his requirements:
Small speakers all around except for the subwoofer. He could probably keep the subwoofer and center channel he has if that would help get better speakers for the mains and rears, but he wants them to be small like the Bose acoustimass. Please don't do any Bose bashing in this thread. I've been trying to get him to realize how bad they are, and I think he's finally starting to come around.

I saw the Athena Technologies Micra 6 Home Theater Speaker System on this this thread, but I'd like more options. I'll probably go with him to Best Buy to listen to them since going to the A/V stores that I normally go to probably wouldn't be an option.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-21-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bose is overpriced, they don't fit into any inexpensive discussion. (I deleted the bashing just for you) I don't think there is much "decent" in that range. (but then I'm an elitist pig, they say) Athena is supposed to be pretty good for the price. I've heard more HT-savvy types than just Rick bring them up.

Facts are, the 301s are not nearly as bad as the AMs. And he already paid for 'em. I don't see how he's going to "upgrade" at $100-300 for a whole set, really. What about 3 nice speakers, and move the 301s to the rear, dumping the center? If you could still find some NHT SuperZeros, they'd probably be about $100/each or less. That would absolutely change his world. 9" tall, I think.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-21-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already suggested moving the 301s to the rear, but he says they're too big and he wants something smaller. I suggested the B&W LM1s which I use for my rears and love, but they're about $300 for a pair. Thanks for your NHT suggestion.
Old 04-21-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
If it were me, I would get a decent set of computer speakers. The price would work, and there are some that don't entirely suck in that range (especially the $200-$300 range).
Old 04-21-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I realize your friend has a budget but I went through the small speaker thing long ago and suggest you so a search for RBH speakers. I have a full set. They are relatively small (not as small as bose but I think much better).

Usually you can find someone selling them here:

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?spkr

Here's a decent place for used gear:

http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...?s=&forumid=10

Occasionally check ebay where used ones are cheaper.

I have and love these: http://www.rbhsound.com/mc4c.shtml

Last edited by kayak99; 04-21-05 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

We went to Best Buy last night, but they didn't have the Athena Technologies Micra 6 Home Theater Speaker System. They did have the nice small Klipsch 5 speaker system that he heard and liked. It was a little over $400, but he put it on his Best Buy credit card since they had a 2 years no interest same as cash deal. Also he said he could just return them if he needed to. Now he just needs to install them and calibrate his system. One of my friends told him to do that when his wife was out of the house and then put on her favorite song and give her a massage while surprising her with the speakers. That way she won't go crazy when he tells her how much they cost. What's funny is he kept asking my other friends if $400 seems like too much to spend on 5 speakers because he thought he was paying an outrageous amount for them. He didn't ask me because he thinks I'm crazy for spending more than that on one speaker.
Old 04-22-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure why we are worrying about the quality for someone who obviously doesn't care himself.

The smaller the Klipsch, the worse the brightness. I love my Klipsch Refs for TV/movies, but they aren't what I'd choose for a music-first system. I'm sure your friend will be happy with his, though, esp for TV. The brightness may sound better to his ears, anyway.
Old 04-22-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. He didn't bring any of his CDs to audition on the system, and they didn't have a variety of music. I didn't really hear much midrange, but maybe I can help that when I calibrate his system.