Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just thought I would share this.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I would share this.

Just thought I would share this little story. I was at the local Movie Gallery and noticed that they were pulling old movies from the shelves. I asked if I could go through the shelves and the manager said yes just ask and she would tell me if she could sell. To make a long story short I walked away with every disney title including all the oop stuff. And this is what blows me away Robocop Critereon, This is Spinal Tap Critereon, and believe it or not Salo Criterion. I was about to shit myself checking out. So just to let everyone know Movie Gallery is clearing out all there old movies little by little and believe me I will be back every week.
Old 04-20-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just walked in and grabbed a Salo criterion?

*cough*Bullshit*cough*
Old 04-20-05, 09:14 PM
Defunct Account

I'd be surprised if they even carried it, much less had one on the shelves.
Old 04-20-05, 09:23 PM
Banned

I am dead serious. I live in a small town and the video store for years has bought used movies. The manager also told me that that the store about 30 miles from here got rid of every one of there older selections for 99cents. I went there but there wasn't nuthn left at all. I am hopin to have some extra money where next week I can buy everything in there I can afford and mayb get some trading goin. They still have criterions just not oop ones I don't think. So believe it or not I hit a dream DVD score.
Old 04-20-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I walked into Best Buy today and they said I was the "lucky customer of the day"! They said I could pick out as many dvds as I wanted, for free! I took 1 copy of everything they had.
Old 04-20-05, 09:32 PM

Can we see some pics? You know just so we can admire them!
On another note why is it new members always run up on these deals?
Old 04-20-05, 09:39 PM
Banned

Yeah I'll get some pics up soon. There is a catch though. The criterions aren't in there original cases they are in shitty rental ones with the movie store logo on the front and the original back. I knew I would get some shit. Didnt want to give away tha catch just yet. And the 101 dalmations stops playing halfway thru. They say lifetime gaurantee so I wonder how they would handle that?
Old 04-20-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Post a picture of the disc then.
Old 04-20-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who said Paris Hilton was driving by and had a flat tire right outside his house, and after he helped change it, she asked if he'd like to make a video with her.
Old 04-20-05, 09:52 PM

I've had the same happen several times. A lot of stores clear out their older "Gallery" sections when the Buy 2, Get 2 sales start which is this coming Friday so I'd check out your local store
Old 04-20-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is accusing new members of lying the official forum pastime?
Old 04-20-05, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by illennium
Yes.
Old 04-20-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Accusing someone of lying or being skeptical. If I said my uncle once got jumped by Benedict the XVI, wouldn't you call bullshit? Salo is probably the rarest dvd there is. For some new member who we know nothing about to say he just picked one of the shelf sounds like a total bullshit story.
Old 04-20-05, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
If I said my uncle once got jumped by Benedict the XVI, wouldn't you call bullshit?
No, I wouldn't.
Old 04-20-05, 10:11 PM
Defunct Account

Extrodinary claims need some sort of proof. Could it be true? Yes. Is it probably true? No.

First: Salo is very rare. That the chances of them having one is remote.

2nd: if they did have one, for a national chain to stock Salo, a film about torturing children, is very, very unlikely even if they had one.

3rd: If they did have one, and rented it, someone would have stolen it and paid the $30 fee so they could sell it for some bucks on e-bay.

4th: If they did have it, and rented it, and no one stole it, and they decided to sell it, not knowing what it was worth (they are only in the DVD business, they wouldn't know that some DVDs are valuable) they wouldn't sell it for $0.99! No one sells discs for that much. Hell, you could go to Blockbuster untill recently and get 8X that in trade!

Overall, this story doesn't ring true. Added to that is the fact that it is a new member. If it was someone who had been active on the boards for years, they'd have their reputation to loose. This guy is risking nothing by coming up with this story.
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know for a fact that the Movie Gallery in Columbus, GA. used to carry Salo on VHS.
Old 04-20-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A great bargain for the OP, a waste of space in the Bargain thread for the rest of us.
Old 04-21-05, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by thechozenone
I've had the same happen several times. A lot of stores clear out their older "Gallery" sections when the Buy 2, Get 2 sales start which is this coming Friday so I'd check out your local store
Does the buy 2 get 2 sale really start again this friday? I hadn't heard anything this time.
Old 04-21-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I got a mailing saying Friday the 22nd until May 1 I think.
All the upcoming PVDS were dated after the sale (Oceans Twelve, etc)
Old 04-21-05, 10:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by jgiv
Yeah I'll get some pics up soon. There is a catch though. The criterions aren't in there original cases they are in shitty rental ones with the movie store logo on the front and the original back. I knew I would get some shit. Didnt want to give away tha catch just yet. And the 101 dalmations stops playing halfway thru. They say lifetime gaurantee so I wonder how they would handle that?
so basically, you have rare dvd's (even if they aren't boots) that you couldn't get $2.00 for on eBay...nice score!
Old 04-21-05, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by videophile
If it was someone who had been active on the boards for years, they'd have their reputation to loose. This guy is risking nothing by coming up with this story.
...yeah, he has nothing to lose by coming up with this story. He has nothing to gain, either. I'm always dumbfounded by these types of posts, where people accuse others of lying. What in the world would motivate somebody to come to a forum and make up a bullshit story about a deal they ran across? Are the people here really so conceited that they think outsiders come here looking to gain their respect and admiration? Don't flatter yourselves. Regardless of whether or not he has a "reputation" to lose, he simply has no motivation for making up a bullshit story for a forum full of people he doesn't know from Adam.

I mean, I've been here for 3 months or so, and I've already seen everything from, "You say you got a good deal? Well then you're a filthy liar who will burn in hell" to, "I've never talked to you on the forums, so I have to ask, why are you posting this deal? Do you work for Deep Discount DVD? Huh, spammer, do ya?" It's getting old.

Long post short: lay the fuck off the new memebers already.

-JP
Old 04-21-05, 01:48 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I mean, I've been here for 3 months or so, and I've already seen everything from, "You say you got a good deal? Well then you're a filthy liar who will burn in hell" to, "I've never talked to you on the forums, so I have to ask, why are you posting this deal? Do you work for Deep Discount DVD? Huh, spammer, do ya?" It's getting old.
Welcome to the site and possibly the internet Natrl! Glad to have you here.

As a new user, I can see why you'd be perplexed at someone posting a lie. What for? Who cares? I don't know. But after you've been around a while longer, you'll find that this happens. Some people just do it. Who knows why? Why do people troll newgroups and post inflammatory messages? How many "I prefer pan and scan" posts have there been over the years?

If the guy can't face some skepticism about his claims, public forums on the internet are probably not a good place for him.
Old 04-21-05, 01:50 PM

Oh I've been around the internet, I just haven't let it turn me into a cynic.

-JP
Old 04-21-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
...yeah, he has nothing to lose by coming up with this story. He has nothing to gain, either. I'm always dumbfounded by these types of posts, where people accuse others of lying. What in the world would motivate somebody to come to a forum and make up a bullshit story about a deal they ran across? Are the people here really so conceited that they think outsiders come here looking to gain their respect and admiration? Don't flatter yourselves. Regardless of whether or not he has a "reputation" to lose, he simply has no motivation for making up a bullshit story for a forum full of people he doesn't know from Adam.

Long post short: lay the fuck off the new memebers already.

-JP

Some members here seem to have a sense of ownership where none exists. What the hell is the difference whether the story is true or not? You say OK and move on. It's not like the guy said he got a Salo for $.99 and there's 100 other copies at this store just WAITING for DVD Talk members to go get while he watches laughing in the parking lot.

It's just an internet forum for Christ's sake!
Old 04-21-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Pastime? I thought it was a given that any new member was lying.

Either way, many times like this, what's the point in really sharing such stories? Even if they are real or not it becomes e-penis waving. Especially when it's a deal that, if true, no one else could possibly ever get on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.