Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office information for film’s initial release in ’68?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed IMDB.com has a tally of financial figures of movies that is up-to-date, but I was wondering if there is a site the gives you historical figures—like what a film made on it’s first run. I am particularly curious how mach 2001: A Space Odyssey made upon it’s initial release in 1968. Does anyone here have insight on a helpful website like
Old 04-20-05, 11:40 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...es&id=2001.htm
Old 04-20-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From this site:
2001: A Space Odyssey was the third biggest box office hit of 1968 (after Mike Nichols’ The Graduate and William Wyler’s Funny Girl) and, upon the completion of its initial theatrical run, was one of the top twenty grossing movies of all time.
Though from here, they actually have it listed as #2 that year, with $25.522 million (probably because The Graduate was released in late '67, and made most of its money in '68).
Old 04-20-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I almost posted that, but that is lifetime gross (1968-present), not just the original theatrical run.
Old 04-21-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FinkPish, thanks for the info. I do know about boxofficemojo.com, though, HN. As it has already been made apparent, their figures do not solidly answer my question. Boxofficereport.com sounds like the best source for my purpose (what the film made in it's official first run). Still, I would really like to find a primary source for these figures, as Boxofficereport.com seems to be an unofficial source for these figures. Maybe I should go to MGM directly? Shoot, I should have thought of that earlier! I have been in touch with someone who does rentals for MGM's vault while working at the Miami Film Festival. Silly... Still, I'll bookmark these sites!
Old 04-21-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I ask why you are looking for exact figures? I have a feeling BoxOfficeReport probably got their numbers from old Variety and/or Hollywood Reporter figures, which would be as accurate as anything you would get directly from the studio.
Old 04-22-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking for this information to include in a Master's thesis paper I'm writing on the movie.

I spoke directly to someone who collects rental fees for MGM in L.A. (we were screening Man of the West). I trust they have some kind of record there of how much it made in its initial run (the more direct the source, the better). Still, Variety is very credible in this regard, too, and possibly unbiased—not to mention it might be less of a hassle. Maybe I will ask the BoxOfficeReport site manager for his source, so I can verify the figures' accuracy... Unless anyone knows how to get the numbers from Variety or Hollywood Reporter on-line… without paying for it (this is for educational purposes, after all). Then again, I could drop by the library… but I just wanted to do something easy, on-line. Looking through the library’s journals are a pain.