Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Who here has the most DVD's?

PokerJunkie.com
04-20-05, 11:08 AM
I have currently 1200 dvd's, I have yet to meet anyone who has more DVD's then me. So who here has the most?

buckee1
04-20-05, 11:24 AM
Hi, <b>1654</b> listed in my profiler with 40 yet to list. And <b>I'm nowhere near the top of the pile.</b> Seriously though, this is something that get's asked every couple of months. If you do a <b>SEARCH</b>, you'll probably find the answers to your questions without the ribbing that's sure to come.

audiomixer
04-20-05, 11:28 AM
Probably about 5000...

PokerJunkie.com
04-20-05, 11:29 AM
Hi, <b>1654</b> listed in my profiler with 40 yet to list. And <b>I'm nowhere near the top of the pile.</b> Seriously though, this is something that get's asked every couple of months. If you do a <b>SEARCH</b>, you'll probably find the answers to your questions without the ribbing that's sure to come.

Appologies bro, I'm new to the community. I like this place though, now I don't feel like such a freak for having so many DVDS.. LOL :)

PokerJunkie.com
04-20-05, 11:29 AM
Probably about 5000...

Your joking rite?

story
04-20-05, 11:31 AM
I have every DVD ever produced. Every. Single. One.

Oh. Except Speed. I hate that movie.

dick_grayson
04-20-05, 11:34 AM
there's a dude named Austin who's got the most by far. there's are pictures of his collection in the home theater set-up 4 or 5, I think.

marty888
04-20-05, 11:37 AM
I think you'll find more people than you suspect that are in the 1000-2000 range (me included, well over the 1500 mark).

PokerJunkie.com
04-20-05, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=dogmatica]I have every DVD ever produced. Every. Single. One.

Every single ? That would be what 40k+, you'd spend your whole life watching every single DVD

Iron_Giant
04-20-05, 11:41 AM
Your joking rite?
There are many people here that over 5,000 DVDs, you will be shocked.

buckee1
04-20-05, 11:43 AM
"Appologies bro, I'm new to the community. I like this place though, now I don't feel like such a freak for having so many DVDS.. LOL "

No apology needed:D We are all a little "Freaky" about DVDs methinks!

dick_grayson
04-20-05, 11:46 AM
link to austin's pics

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353495&perpage=25&highlight=collection%20pictures&pagenumber=17

story
04-20-05, 11:56 AM
Every single ? That would be what 40k+, you'd spend your whole life watching every single DVD

Oh, I don't watch them. I just... you know... have them. It's all part of my plan... My robot plan...

J Shimmy
04-20-05, 12:35 PM
link to austin's pics

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353495&perpage=25&highlight=collection%20pictures&pagenumber=17

I'd like to see pics of the largest collection thats filed and organized.

Iron_Giant
04-20-05, 12:57 PM
link to austin's pics

I don't know what to say about Austin's collection, he must be apart of rich family - that is more than I imagined or over 12,000 looked more than I thought it would.

nodeerforamonth
04-20-05, 01:04 PM
I work a full time job and I don't have any time to watch the 300 or so DVDs I have! How in hell does anyone with 1,000+ DVDs even have the time to watch them?!??!

DVD Josh
04-20-05, 01:15 PM
there's a dude named Austin who's got the most by far. there's are pictures of his collection in the home theater set-up 4 or 5, I think.

I still say that Gutwrencher has the largest, VERIFIABLE collection on this forum. Austin's is just piles of stuff, and he admits he has several copies of many movies.

lotsofdvds
04-20-05, 01:39 PM
How many does Gutwrencher have? I'm nearing 2300 myself.

Wooderson
04-20-05, 02:05 PM
What about PD Jennings guy?

Dan1boy
04-20-05, 02:14 PM
Would love to see a photo of Gutwrencher or Audomixer's collection...wow. Any posts of those anywhere?

MrVette99
04-20-05, 02:32 PM
I have 100,987 DVDs. I just recounted last night. I RULE!!!

Eric F
04-20-05, 02:48 PM
My penis is bigger.

wendersfan
04-20-05, 02:50 PM
My penis is bigger.:eek: Than my DVD collection? How do you even walk upright?

marty888
04-20-05, 03:25 PM
My penis is bigger.

It probably just <b><i>looks</i></b> that way on your home theater set-up.

Joe Molotov
04-20-05, 03:29 PM
Who would have thought a guy named Spammer.com would get banned?!

I have about 500 DVDs.

J Shimmy
04-20-05, 03:32 PM
:eek: Than my DVD collection? How do you even walk upright?

I'm still trying to figure out how you even walk with all those Wim Wenders dvds stuffed in your pockets. :hscratch:

dvdstitch
04-20-05, 03:59 PM
i don't even have the time to watch all my dvds, how would i find time to count them?

darkhawk
04-20-05, 04:07 PM

Mike Lowrey
04-20-05, 04:15 PM
Who would have thought a guy named Spammer.com would get banned?!

Just after 4 posts too.

I have about 500 DVDs.

I just past the 400 mark. According to DVDAficionado at least. I still think there's something wrong with the way we count TV show sets.

The 5-keepcase/disc sets of Stargate SG-1 count as 1 title, while shows like Andromeda take 5 volumes of 2-discs each for a season, and therefore count as 5 titles.

The problem is that when TV show sets don't put as many episodes per disc as they could. If a disc in a TV set contain at least 4 or 5 one hour episodes, it should count as 1 title.

mikeporter
04-20-05, 04:30 PM
What about PD Jennings guy?
He is the same person I thought of when I saw this thread. In January he had 3,162. Here (http://pdjennings.com/dvd.htm) is his collection.

Muad'Dib
04-20-05, 05:53 PM
I'm jealous of all of you. ;)

Dabaomb
04-20-05, 08:26 PM
I work a full time job and I don't have any time to watch the 300 or so DVDs I have! How in hell does anyone with 1,000+ DVDs even have the time to watch them?!??!

we don't, we just like to have them.

I'm at about 1030 now in less than 3 years of collecting. What can I say? I like collecting things.

TomOpus
04-20-05, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I'd say Austin has the most... even if some are duplicated, we're just talking numbers right?

pdjennings might have a larger verifiable collection but gutwrencher's collection has a high-coolness factor :) ... but I'll qualify that with the fact that I haven't really checked out pdjennings' list, so it might be cool too

OldBoy
04-20-05, 08:32 PM
why did the OP get banned?

gutwrencher
04-20-05, 08:34 PM
He was a spammer....and they changed his name.

FantasticVSDoom
04-20-05, 10:33 PM
I think you'll find more people than you suspect that are in the 1000-2000 range (me included, well over the 1500 mark).

we don't, we just like to have them.

I'm at about 1030 now in less than 3 years of collecting. What can I say? I like collecting things.
Where do you have room in NY to have that many dvds?? I have a little over 200 now and have a hard time finding space in my apt. and we have a better than avg sized one.

NitroJMS
04-20-05, 10:43 PM
I have about 710 right now, but I maxed out around 750. I've started selling some of my bad blind buys on Half.com and some of the other things I'm just not interested in anymore. My target goal is getting down to around 500 titles.

John Sinnott
04-20-05, 11:23 PM
I'm at 2800+ right now with a pile that still has to go into the db. (about 12-13% are titles I got to review...the rest I paid for.)

Dabaomb
04-21-05, 12:07 AM
Where do you have room in NY to have that many dvds?? I have a little over 200 now and have a hard time finding space in my apt. and we have a better than avg sized one.

I have one huge bookcase that holds about 330 DVDs. ANother smaller bookcase that holds about 180.

I have 2 small separate DVD racks that hold my Box Sets & TV Sets. Then I have another big bookcase that holds my books, video games, and other miscellaneous stuff. My DVDs have moved into that area now and there's about 150-175 on there now.

The first 2 bookcases on next to each other near my balcony door. The other 3 racks aren't directly next to each other. They sort of form a "U" as I have one next to my sofa, then 2 against the wall near the window.

cultshock
04-21-05, 12:27 AM
pdjennings might have a larger verifiable collection but gutwrencher's collection has a high-coolness factor :)

:up: Gut has the type of collection I hope to have one day. :)

JesseCuster
04-21-05, 01:35 AM
pdjennings might have a larger verifiable collection but gutwrencher's collection has a high-coolness factor :) ... but I'll qualify that with the fact that I haven't really checked out pdjennings' list, so it might be cool too

Unless he's changed his buying habits, he's gotten one of damn near everything that's been released in the last 3-4 years. Lotsa DVDs.

I have 550+. I remember a time when I couldn't possibly imagine owning 100 DVDs.

a handle
04-21-05, 05:46 AM
Getting close to the 500 mark. How many of you with thousands are comercial owners?

speedyray
04-21-05, 07:14 AM
Getting close to the 500 mark. How many of you with thousands are comercial owners?

not many I would guess. I have 900+ but have sold about 300 hundred recently. I am not in any DVD related business.

TomOpus
04-21-05, 09:29 AM
Unless he's changed his buying habits, he's gotten one of damn near everything that's been released in the last 3-4 years. Lotsa DVDs.Yeah, when he used to post in the "What are you getting..." threads, his list was always a lot larger than anyone else. He would consistently list 10-15 each week... and those were just new releases.

JoCo
04-21-05, 09:48 AM
I'm at about 350 to 400 range. When I tell people they look at me like I'm crazy. I should show them this thread.LOL.

rexinnih
04-21-05, 10:06 AM
I'm at about 350 to 400 range. When I tell people they look at me like I'm crazy. I should show them this thread.LOL.

Right now I'm probably in the same range. But it's my wife who looks at me like I'm crazy.

audiomixer
04-21-05, 11:13 AM
Your joking rite?
No, I'm not! -biggrin-

Sewso
04-21-05, 04:33 PM
About to crack the 1,000 mark any day now!

NatrlBornThrllr
04-21-05, 04:40 PM
678 discs, 510 titles.

-JP

Mike Lowrey
04-21-05, 04:55 PM
How do you all count season box sets? I count'em as 1 title as does most on-line sites do, but depending on how the studios package their season sets each disc should count someway.

For example, a full season box set counts as 1 title. Like the Andromeda Season box sets. The complete box sets of all 22 episodes count as 1 title. However, if you buy the individual volumes, it takes 5 volumes to complete the seasons. And these volumes count as 1 title each, so in that case, each season of Andromeda via individual volumes count as 5 titles.

Samething with the Farscape sets, whether it be the original release or the new Starburst Editions. (BTW, anybody ever figure out if there's any special features on them? ;) ) The original release for Season 1 was 11 individual volumes. That 11 titles according to the on-line database sites. However with the full season set of those 11 discs, count as just 1 title. Now bring in the Starburst Editions and there's 3 volumes per season on just 6 discs.

All this is relevant in a way that if someone has a large collection of TV sets, their actual number of DVDs is not represented correctly. Now I'm not saying that we should count discs in multiple disc versions of movies, unless the documentaries on the extra discs are duplications of official shows like those on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition.

Currently I have about 405 titles according to DVDAficionado, but if I were to recount them using a method of say for every 3-4 "hour-long" or 8 "half-hour" episodes to count as 1 DVD, then my collection would be at least 3 times larger if not more.

I ought to do this just for the fun of it to see exactly how many 2+ hours per disc of entertainment I have.

The Ferret
04-21-05, 05:02 PM
Considering how long i've been a member here, I probably have the lowest dvds-per-month average. 28 titles in a couple years, and i've been coming here daily ever since the start.

Maybe i'm obsessed with OTHER people's obsessions. Maybe i'm insane!

NatrlBornThrllr
04-21-05, 05:10 PM
How do you all count season box sets? I count'em as 1 title as does most on-line sites do, but depending on how the studios package their season sets each disc should count someway.

For example, a full season box set counts as 1 title. Like the Andromeda Season box sets. The complete box sets of all 22 episodes count as 1 title. However, if you buy the individual volumes, it takes 5 volumes to complete the seasons. And these volumes count as 1 title each, so in that case, each season of Andromeda via individual volumes count as 5 titles.

Samething with the Farscape sets, whether it be the original release or the new Starburst Editions. (BTW, anybody ever figure out if there's any special features on them? ;) ) The original release for Season 1 was 11 individual volumes. That 11 titles according to the on-line database sites. However with the full season set of those 11 discs, count as just 1 title. Now bring in the Starburst Editions and there's 3 volumes per season on just 6 discs.

All this is relevant in a way that if someone has a large collection of TV sets, their actual number of DVDs is not represented correctly. Now I'm not saying that we should count discs in multiple disc versions of movies, unless the documentaries on the extra discs are duplications of official shows like those on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition.

Currently I have about 405 titles according to DVDAficionado, but if I were to recount them using a method of say for every 3-4 "hour-long" or 8 "half-hour" episodes to count as 1 DVD, then my collection would be at least 3 times larger if not more.

I ought to do this just for the fun of it to see exactly how many 2+ hours per disc of entertainment I have.

I just keep two separate counts, one for titles, one for discs (meaning Volume 1 of Family Guy would count as one title, 4 discs. Volume 2 of Family Guy would count as a second title, and as discs 5-7). However, I also count the second disc of my SE movies. Like the Fight Club SE, for example, I count as 1 title, 2 discs.

So, I use my title count as a rough idea of how many movies I own, and my discs count as a rough estimation of how large my collection is. The reason I count the second disc of SE movie releases isn't because it has extra content, but because I pay for that second disc and as such, I want it to count toward my disc total.

Not sure if any of that makes sense...but that's my system of keeping count.

-JP

RevKarl
04-21-05, 05:15 PM
2,400+...and yes, storage is the biggest problem (The two large DVD shelf units I built filled up months ago, so box sets and overflow have ended up on two other bookshelves.)

And to address Mike Lowery's question, I count individual titles in box sets separately if they have their own UPC codes (some exceptions in my system being Universal's Marx Bros. and W.C. Fields sets.) Obviously, everyone does it their own way.

Randy Miller III
04-21-05, 05:16 PM
I'm constantly weeding out the stuff I don't watch very often, but I probably have somewhere around 400 (if boxed sets count as one, that is! :D).

WhoGirl
04-25-05, 07:00 AM
1,334 DVDs, plus a few that haven't been entered into my DVD collection list.

That70sGuy
04-25-05, 04:25 PM
I'm constantly weeding out the stuff I don't watch very often, but I probably have somewhere around 400 (if boxed sets count as one, that is! :D).

The boxed sets can look nice, but mine have the greatest wear and tear. The corners seem to go first. I wish they also include a standard plastic case with them too.

Houstondon
04-25-05, 06:03 PM
There are many people here that over 5,000 DVDs, you will be shocked.

Gee, I've reviewed over 3000 in the past several years and had over twice that before I slowed down buying them (I miss the glory days of .com bargains)... Hopefully, most people won't focus on the bigger is better argument though (admitedly, I am rather big...lol). ;)

duganrm
04-25-05, 08:18 PM
I have more than some and less than others. :D