Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hotel Rwanda...An amazing movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-19-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done watching the DVD and man one of the best movies i seen in a while and so powerful. I cant believe we arent doing something in Sudan now, anyway its amazing that all this happened almost a million killed in a month or 2? I never remember seeing really in news coverage of this at all (but i was only 10) its sad that people dont step in and try to do something,
Old 04-20-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 04-20-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, yup. This movie had more of a profound effect on me than Schindler's List did. Mainly because this happened just a few years ago.
Old 04-21-05, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by maingon
Just got done watching the DVD and man one of the best movies i seen in a while and so powerful. I cant believe we arent doing something in Sudan now, anyway its amazing that all this happened almost a million killed in a month or 2? I never remember seeing really in news coverage of this at all (but i was only 10) its sad that people dont step in and try to do something,
I understand the urge to have gotten involved, but it's just not as simple as it sounds. Do we(the U.S., the U.N.) setup shop permanently and in a sense colonialize these countries? Do we blast away at all the bad guys and then leave? I just don't think there is a simple solution when you try to step in and make peace between these tribes, factions, whatever you want to call them.
Old 04-21-05, 01:05 PM
Banned

one of the best movie this year so far
Old 04-21-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by John-In-VA
I understand the urge to have gotten involved, but it's just not as simple as it sounds. Do we(the U.S., the U.N.) setup shop permanently and in a sense colonialize these countries? Do we blast away at all the bad guys and then leave? I just don't think there is a simple solution when you try to step in and make peace between these tribes, factions, whatever you want to call them.
Just as it was simple for us to go into Iraq? Freedom and democracy is supposedly being spread in this country. Aren't human rights and genocide more important issues to deal with? It's criminal for anyone to let these people die for no reason in the Sudan.
Old 04-21-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope no one thinks Sudan has WMD's.....otherwise, that's another country blown to bits.
Old 04-22-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's hard to stop people from hating each other.

That said, there were UN peacekeepers in other countries and there have been for a long time... so Rwanda got really screwed over there.
Old 04-22-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Watching it was kind of like watching an entire country go insane. The whole situation is terrible, you can easily get mad at the UN's refusal to get more committed, the U.S. and other nations ignoring it, and of course the backwards crazy rivalries that led to the bloodshed in the first place.

That said, it is a good movie, a great performance by Don Cheadle. Just hard to leave it feeling particularly good about human nature.
Old 04-22-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
People who liked Hotel Rwanda and/or are interested in learning more about the genocide should buy this fantastic documentary immediately:

Old 04-22-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i'll check it out
Old 04-24-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll second what eXcentris said. On a related note, I'll be getting a copy of the PBS documentary Ghosts of Rwanda for review soon---I can't wait to see how it compares to these two.
Old 04-24-05, 01:01 PM

Rented this last night, cant wait to see it Don Cheadle is so underrated!
Old 04-24-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'll second what eXcentris said. On a related note, I'll be getting a copy of the PBS documentary Ghosts of Rwanda for review soon---I can't wait to see how it compares to these two.
Funny, I just got Ghosts of Rwanda this morning for review purposes. I guess we're the Rwanda experts on our respective sites.
Old 04-24-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great Movie,very powerfull,there is another Movie about this subject that was on HBO recently called Sometime's in April,its a much more bloodier movie and imo is almost as good,this one was about 2 brothers that where in a diffrent faction and its very movieing,it just came out so im sure it's not out on DVD yet so if you liked this give it a watch when you have the chance.
Old 04-25-05, 06:24 PM

it was good but i felt that the subject matter was a bit too much for a 2 hour film. i thought it could have had much more of an impact on me.
Old 04-25-05, 10:47 PM

Sometimes In April - May 10th on DVD. Both movies are really good and really different, and I would give both a try.
Old 04-26-05, 12:26 AM

America's mass media gatekeeper's do a splendid job don't they?

Majority of the people have never heard of this, because this was the year OJ Simpson was covered.

I mean.... football player is accused of murder, orrrr genocide. Something doesn't add up.
Old 04-26-05, 08:55 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Libby
. . . Don Cheadle is so underrated!

Agreed! I just saw this last night - powerful film.
Old 04-27-05, 02:02 PM
Banned

I met the lead actress Sophie Okonedo......

WHAT A HOT GORGEOUS WOMEN ,

I was up C/London after a job ,an bumped into them her party in one Friday night last jan , OMG she is so sexy close up an very down to earth , I was well in with her as being a (*thick Northern lad =lol* as she called me an I her a *dumb fit bimbo*)

As I wasnt fawning/creepy fan (jeesch didnt know who she was then ..) she was a fit lass an I had the lady laughing ...she kept on about how she did bit parts /actress/etc..
I was *yeah Right sweetheart ,lol*,as every fit bird in Central London will say shes a model/actress
I think as much as I played down/bullshitted her advert making tv life ,the more she was hungry ,she was after it ...but I was too bollocked with the friends=PRs around her ...
I had a 10 min kiss/smooch session with her an that was it ....I bailed out horny but unsure an I was after a kebab ...
another lifes regret ...

Hotel Rwanda ......came to my Odeon an I feel the UN was shameful

btw I saw a report last sunday from Rwanda an both sides are working it out /reconsiliation as South africa ..
so unbelievable can you imagine the jews saying 10 years after 45 , yeah it was WAR ..
it pays as today in Israel to be a victim .....even when they try to kill Palestinian
Old 04-27-05, 07:19 PM

finally got around to seeing this today.... as others have said, Don Cheadle did a fantastic job.....

Is "Shake Hands with the Devil" out on DVD yet? It's not listed on Amazon and I couldn't find it on Netflix.....anyone know??
Old 04-27-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DVDHO
Great Movie,very powerfull,there is another Movie about this subject that was on HBO recently called Sometime's in April,its a much more bloodier movie and imo is almost as good,this one was about 2 brothers that where in a diffrent faction and its very movieing,it just came out so im sure it's not out on DVD yet so if you liked this give it a watch when you have the chance.
Yep, I'll be getting that one for review soon as well (which brings me to 4 Rwanda-related films in just over a month). If nothing else, it'll be interesting to compare and contrast the lot of them.
Old 04-27-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by naseeb
finally got around to seeing this today.... as others have said, Don Cheadle did a fantastic job.....

Is "Shake Hands with the Devil" out on DVD yet? It's not listed on Amazon and I couldn't find it on Netflix.....anyone know??
I can't find it anywhere either. I looked at the DVDlist (the big List), E-Bay and IMDB doesn't list it either.
Old 04-27-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by naseeb
It's only listed on Amazon.ca (Canada) for now, and no word on a domestic release date yet. You can get the direct link by clicking on the picture in my review.
Old 05-01-05, 02:39 AM

saw this last night, it was pretty moving and Don Cheadle was AMAZING!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.