Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Pick 2: Upcoming DS Game

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which of the following games are you looking forward to the most?
Lost in Blue
6.67%
Kirby: Canvas Curse
13.33%
Meteos
3.33%
Metroid Prime: First Hunt
26.67%
Nanostray
6.67%
Pac 'n Roll
13.33%
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
6.67%
Puyo Pop Fever*
10.00%
The Sims 2
3.33%
Ultimate Brain Games
10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Round #1

Round 2, here we go:

Lost in Blue

Kirby: Canvas Curse

Meteos

Metroid Prime: Hunters

NanoStray

Pac 'n Roll

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Puyo Pop Fever*

The Sims 2

Ultimate Brain Games

Again, Sorry some of these images are old, there have not been any new pictures released.

*In English, but not announced for America, would be an import. I included it to try and get a bunch of the puzzlers in this thread.
Old 04-19-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Puyo Pop Fever is coming out soon in the US. Atlus is releasing it.

Of that list I went with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I just have to try a game like that. Reminds me of the old school PC games.

However, I'm tempted to buy just about every game on this list except the Sims.
Old 04-19-05, 05:28 PM

wow! they all look like crap!
Old 04-19-05, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SinCity
wow! they all look like crap!
Thanks for the catch, I switched the pictures from your face over to pictures of the actual games.

Darkside, thanks for the info. You are all over this DS game stuff, I only recently started paying attention so I'm a little behind the 8-ball.
Old 04-19-05, 08:04 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None are must buys, but I went with Kirby for now.

From the little I know of it, it looks like it could be what Yoshi Touch and Go should have been. i.e. neat stylus gameplay but with a lot of different levels as opposed to only one for each mode.
Old 04-19-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I don't even have a DS but if I had to choose, you can never go wrong with a shooter.
Old 04-19-05, 08:48 PM

Metroid Hunters is my pick but again I'm looking forward to at least three of those titles. Metroid Pinball is another game I'm stoked about.
Old 04-20-05, 09:09 AM

sorry but they do all look like crap. the DS is sure to lose then handlheld war if thats all its got. has there been a game that really put the touch screen/microphone to use? From the few games ive played the touch is more of a distraction than anything else.
Old 04-20-05, 09:43 AM
Retired

Quit thread crapping SinCity. It's against forum rules.

This thread is for people with DS's to vote on which DS game they are most looking forward to.

It's not a place to bash the DS, talk about it's doom etc. Dig up the DS discussion/reviews thread to post that kind of stuff.
Old 04-20-05, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SinCity
sorry but they do all look like crap. the DS is sure to lose then handlheld war if thats all its got. has there been a game that really put the touch screen/microphone to use? From the few games ive played the touch is more of a distraction than anything else.
I only made a joke because your first thread was a (threadcrap)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion that they look like crap, I don't think anoyone will say they look better then PSP. If they do, they are smoking something. I will add, that in my experience most the games look better in motion then when screen captured.

There are many games that put the touchscreen to good use and there are a couple that use the microphone. For example, in Nintendogs you give your dog a name and he learns it over time, only responding to his own name. I however, am not going to lecture on the merits of each game, thats up for you to research. If you choose to be ignorant about what the titles truely offer, thats your business.

In regards to the DS losing "the war" they may end up losing, but currently that is not the case at all. Sony only has managed to out sell the DS for 2 weeks after launch in the US. In Japan the DS has retaken the weekly sales by for 3 weeks in a row. The PSP has sold more units this year by about 160,000 but this is only part of the picture as the DS sold 800,000 more last year, despite being launched at the same time.

Coupled those facts with the larger installed DS user base in every other country the DS has a very healthy lead, and is it is growing. It is the fact that the DS has already moved over 4 million units that has caused my interest in the system to grow, I have taken a wait and see approach.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 04-20-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 09:51 AM
Retired

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ht=Nintendo%2A

There's a link to the PSP vs. DS thread where your comments belong SinCity.
Old 04-20-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
been waiting too long for Metroid Prime: Hunters, so Puyo Pop Fever gets the vote. I'm a fan of those falling pieces puzzle games.
Old 04-20-05, 10:23 AM

I voted for the ultimate brain games because if I do get a DS I'm going to convince my brother to get it so we can play Chess and the sort online while I'm in Oregon and he is in Dallas.
Old 04-20-05, 10:32 AM
Banned

Puyo Pop! Puzzle games and handheld go together like me and your mama.
Old 04-20-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of these? Pac 'n Roll looks cool, but I'm getting a vibe that it and Pac-Pix should've been a dual-game release, we'll see. Puyo Puyo is one of my favorites, but I really hated Fever. Lost in Blue has a bit of my interest as well. It's really hard to say at this point. (and I still don't have a DS).
Old 04-20-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Don't mean to ask a different question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread (also searched but nothing came up).
Did anyone else receive a white plastic hand from NOA this week?
I received it, looks a bit creepy, with the following note:

touching is good.

Show the world why touching is good.
If you look hard enough, youll see just
how much life can look like game.

then some instructions on how to submit a photo or a video to the
Touching is Good contest.

back on topic, of all those games listed, Metroid is the only one that
interests me.
Old 04-20-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I want that lawyer game just for the second picture where the dude is giving the thumbs up yelling he's guilty.
Old 04-20-05, 10:57 AM
Suspended

I dont have a DS yet either, hoping that I could get one cheap closer to X-Mas time. I voted for the Ultimate Brain games though. I would love to play Chess online as well, eventhough you can use Yahoo.
Old 04-20-05, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I dont have a DS yet either, hoping that I could get one cheap closer to X-Mas time. I voted for the Ultimate Brain games though. I would love to play Chess online as well, eventhough you can use Yahoo.
If executed well, I can see myself def. playing a lot moe online. Part of my problem with online games is that I would prefer to not be stuck behind a monitor while playing. If I can take my DS (when I buy one ) to the bookstore or whereever and hop online I think I would use it more often.

Lots of cities, most recently Minniapolis have announced city wide wi-fi, soon this means you could hop on anywhere.
Old 04-20-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a DS yet, but I voted for Meteos. I'm also interested in Puyo Pop Fever and Ultimate Brain Games. I'm probably going to pick up a DS in June, when the blue one comes out. If I can hold out that long.
Old 04-20-05, 05:02 PM

Metroid Prime: Hunters.
Old 06-05-05, 10:09 PM

From the makers of the great Lumines on PSP, Metos scored an 8.5 from planetgamecube. Pretty good stuff, here's the summary review:
Graphics: 8.0

The game opens up with a very pretty FMV intro. Weird tile patterns change depending on the planet, but they're usually recognizable for their standard color affiliation. The rocket blasts are convincing and aid in the feeling of satisfaction when a group of tiles lifts off. Backgrounds and cinematic stills look great, but you won't notice them much. The top screen just sits there, but at least it's not forced into an unnecessary role.

Sound: 8.0

The menu music is straight out of Smash Bros. Melee. The rest of the songs are wildly varied and tied to particular planets, which helps to make you feel like you're playing in a different location every time you change planets. Sound effects lean towards the realm of bizarre, such as the screaming sound of clearing tiles on an otherwise serene planet, or the sound of a galloping horse that signifies victory on one level.

Control: 7.0

Forget about using the D-pad and buttons…it's a throwaway feature. Meteos is a touch screen game, and it functions well in that capacity. There's a bit of a learning curve, but things get under control pretty quickly. Even very good players may find themselves missing tiles when under pressure, though.

Gameplay: 9.0

Go into Meteos expecting an action game, not a puzzler, and you'll discover its charm much sooner. It's fast, it's intense, it's really difficult, and when you start to get the hang of things, it's deeply satisfying. The more you play, the more you'll come to understand and appreciate the subtleties and strategies. That's the mark of a great game, though maybe not one that everyone will like at first blush.

Lastability: 9.0

I've put more hours into Meteos than any other DS game I own, including Mario 64, and that's even without much multiplayer. The game's staying power is propelled by the hidden depths of its gameplay model and by the wealth of unlockable items, including the planets that open up completely new ways to play.

Final Score (Not an average): 8.5

Meteos is a quirky, great action game that every DS owner should try. It seems strange and insanely hard at first, but once you get, it, you get it.
Old 06-06-05, 12:06 AM

There's also new trailer for Lost in blue, the screenshot up above didn't look so great. But now i'm really looking forward to it .

Link
Old 06-06-05, 12:41 AM

Yeah, those pics were old when they were put in there. That trailer makes the game look pretty good, with some nice uses of the touch screen. Just one more reason to sell my gaming xbox and buy a DS.