Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is CSI harming our legal system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is CSI harming our legal system?

Interesting cover story in US News this week on the so called CSI Effect. Juries have unrealistic expectations in real life trials based on the TV show and end up acquitting people they probably shouldn't. Some of the examples in the story are kind of frightening.

I know when I tell people that the shows are in absolutely no way realistic, fans always say "... it's just a TV show. I know it isn't real ..." But I think most people actually believe that CSI reflects how crime labs and police work.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture...0425/25csi.htm
Old 04-18-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope so. There is no other system in as much need of harm as our legal system.

Honestly, I think they needed to find a story, and making one with something popular like CSI was a good way to sell magazines.
Old 04-18-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the DA mentioned CSI when I was going for jury duty. said there'd be a lot of lab type evidence (I guess to verify what drugs the guy was busted with) but that lab stuff wasn't as cool in real life as on csi
Old 04-18-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If the OJ trial were held now, he would probably be convicted. The prosecutors wouldn't have had to try to explain DNA evidence to the jurors.
Old 04-18-05, 09:21 PM
Banned

I read a story about the flip side of that coin, where defense attorneys were worried that juries would be quick to accept "scientific evidence" as hard proof because of CSI.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
If the OJ trial were held now, he would probably be convicted. The prosecutors wouldn't have had to try to explain DNA evidence to the jurors.
The OJ jurors would be just as stupid now as they were back then.
Old 04-18-05, 09:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
OJ Simpson wasn't acquitted because the jurors thought he was innocent.
Old 04-18-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
tonight was an all time low in stupidity
running finger prints. the scanner scans them and they get a hit within 2 seconds
same with a DNA test they run, granted on the DNA they were running a female sample in a database of mostly males, so I suppose they could set the search to only check the female samples in the database and speed things up, but that's still way too fast
no wonder cops and DAs hate these shows

oh yeah, somehow the stitching on a guy's jeans left an imprint on a bumper
Old 04-19-05, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

I always find the fingerprint matching pretty unrealistic. I love the computer software program that they run, and then most of the time the resulting finger print shows a 4 point match. From what I've read this would not be considered a match for a real court case.
Old 04-19-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517

I've always thought the same.

As the article suggests, I think CSI has a neutral effect. It may be helpful to prosecuters in some instances and it may be helpful to defendants in others.
Old 04-19-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most jurors vote on emotion.. You give them a fancy technology that somewhat gives them a little proof and they will convict anyone.
Old 04-19-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If David Kelley couldn't harm our legal system, I don't see what harm CSI can do.
Old 04-19-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Now I do think Law & Order has made things tougher on detectives.
Old 04-19-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Honestly, I think they needed to find a story, and making one with something popular like CSI was a good way to sell magazines.
Yes, I see baloney journalism as more of a threat. People tend to believe whatever they read.
Old 04-19-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In a way, I can see the validity in this obviously sensationalistic argument by virtue of the fact that the American public is an easily swayed flock of sheep. But BDLU said it best when he said that juries vote on their own emotion. After the Scott Peterson trial, multiple jurors claimed that they recommended the death penalty because "he didn't show any emotion." Not saying he's not guilty or deserving or whatever, but if that's not ridiculous, I don't know what is. My faith in our legal system is almost beyond repair now.