Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop buys out EB

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamestop buys out EB

Link here

Now both stores can screw you in the exact same way!
Old 04-18-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
So yeah, about no changes what so ever.
Old 04-18-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Are the EB's still going to be called EB or will they be changed to Gamestop?

My mall has both, so I doubt 2 Gamestop's in the same mall would make sense. Plus the fact that there's 2 more Gamestop's outside the mall in a 10 mile radius makes it even weirder.
Old 04-18-05, 10:00 AM
RVP

I never realized they weren't owned by the same parent company. Their websites are so similar I just thought..
Old 04-18-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
I just noticed that says it's a merger, so it's not really Gamestop buying EB.
Old 04-18-05, 10:21 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'd say in your case they'll probably close one of the stores, unless they both can do good business offering everything at the same price and having the same specials at the same time etc.
Old 04-18-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's 4 in one area around here, an EB and GameStop in the mall and 2 Gamestops down and up the street about 1/4 mile. I wonder how many they'll close.
Old 04-18-05, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Are the EB's still going to be called EB or will they be changed to Gamestop?

My mall has both, so I doubt 2 Gamestop's in the same mall would make sense. Plus the fact that there's 2 more Gamestop's outside the mall in a 10 mile radius makes it even weirder.
Yeah same here. One mall near me has a Gamestop, Electronics Boutique and an EBX. What's weird is the EB and EBX are in the same wing, just different levels, takes a minute to go from one to the other.
Old 04-18-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they're going to be closing stores, then this may make for some good sales to get rid of used stock or whatnot. Or it could make it easier on us with more stock at each of the locations.

Within 10 miles, I've got 13 Gamestops and 11 EB's.
Old 04-18-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in 5-7 miles i have 3 GS & 1 EB stores
Old 04-18-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
If they're going to be closing stores, then this may make for some good sales to get rid of used stock or whatnot. Or it could make it easier on us with more stock at each of the locations.

Within 10 miles, I've got 13 Gamestops and 11 EB's.
I doubt it would result in good sales. Most likely the stuff would be distrobuted among the other local stores, and the rest sent back to the warehouse for distro to other stores.
Old 04-18-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I doubt it would result in good sales. Most likely the stuff would be distrobuted among the other local stores, and the rest sent back to the warehouse for distro to other stores.
Does used stuff get sent back to the warehouse? I thought it might get redistributed to the other local stores (dvds and games) and then they'd be overstocked and have to get rid of some quickly.
Old 04-18-05, 12:09 PM
Retired

I'm sure a lot would go back to the warehouse after they spread it out among local stores. Keep in mind that they sell used games online too, so they have warehouse(s) for that somewhere as well.
Old 04-18-05, 12:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The stores (and the websites) are clones of each other, they usually offer the exact same sales and deals. This will change nothing.
Old 04-18-05, 12:27 PM
Retired

Used game prices sometimes vary between EB and Gamestop, and the trade in deals are usually a little different.
Old 04-18-05, 12:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

It's not suprising. B&M gaming stores, while popular in the 1990's, are in a losing battle to major retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc.

The only true edge that they have left is being the first stores to stock an item. But that edge is 36 hours at the most. You can always find releases in major retailers within 2 days of release.

So it's either merge with your competitor or waste away.
Old 04-18-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I never saw much difference between the two anyway.
Old 04-18-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
So yeah, about no changes what so ever.
That pretty much covers it.
Old 04-18-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Does used stuff get sent back to the warehouse? I thought it might get redistributed to the other local stores (dvds and games) and then they'd be overstocked and have to get rid of some quickly.

When I worked at EB years back, yes, used items were on our recall lists all the time. The recall lists were either items that they were taking out of circulation, or items that wern't selling at a given location and were sent back to the warehouse to be redistrobuted to other stores in the country.
Old 04-18-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wow - this is like big news... but at the same time, it's so totally meaningless.
Old 04-18-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EB tends to have good online clearances, like the XBOX thread where they are selling a lot of games for $5-$10. I hope this doesn't affect those sales.

As far as B&M I see no change, except less competition is always bad.
Old 04-18-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

this could suck for those of us who like to buy used games since EB guaranteed cases/instructions while Gamestop doesn't.
Old 04-18-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GameStop buying EB Games

Former retail rivals to merge in $1.44 billion deal; new company will be biggest game-store chain in America.
With the launch of the PSP, the unveiling of all three next-generation platforms, and the almost assured launch of the next-gen Xbox, 2005 was already shaping up to be a wild year for the games industry. Today, it got even wilder when the two top specialty game retailers in the US revealed they will soon become one.

At the beginning of the East Coast business day, GameStop Corp. and Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp., owner of EB Games, announced they had signed a "definitive merger agreement." In fact, the deal will see GameStop, which saw $1.84 billion in sales during its last fiscal year, buy Electronics Boutique, which sold $1.98 billion sales during its 2005 fiscal year.

A joint statement sent out by both companies outlined the deal, under which GameStop will pay $38.15 in cash and 0.78795 shares of GameStop common stock for each Electronics Boutique share. The cash-stock combination is worth $55.18, 34.2 percent over EB's $41.12 closing price on Friday. EB's stock rocketed skyward on the news and was up over $14.50 as of press time. GameStop stock also rose on the news, gaining more than $3.10 in value.

Upon its closing, the agreement will see the two companies merge operations under the GameStop banner, which will then fly over 3,200 stores in the US and 600 others in Europe and Australasia. However, to not disrupt plans for the 2005 holiday season, no changes will be made in either company's organization until 2006. Then, in mall locations where there is duplication in retail outlets, store closings will follow "when appropriate," according to a GameStop official.

Though technically a takeover, the GameStop-EB merger met with glowing approval from both parties. "This transaction makes a tremendous amount of sense from an operational, cultural, and synergistic perspective," said EB CEO Jeffrey Griffiths. "We will now be in an even better position to broaden our reach and generate further efficiencies for our business and our customers." Griffiths' role in the new company was not identified.

GameStop chairman and chief executive officer R. Richard Fontaine also had good things to say about the deal, which isn't surprising, as he will retain this top slot after the merger. "We are merging these two companies from a position of strength," he said in a statement. Fontaine also confirmed that one motivation was GameStop's desire to expand outside its traditional North American market. "This merger ... will enable us to enter new international markets and allow us to compete more effectively in the highly competitive US video game industry."

The new GameStop will be well suited to fight off competition from rivals like Wal-Mart and Blockbuster Video's Game Rush subchain. According to Reuters, the post-merger company will be the biggest game retailer in the US, controlling some 25 percent of the market.

Last edited by darkside; 04-18-05 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-18-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flay
It's not suprising. B&M gaming stores, while popular in the 1990's, are in a losing battle to major retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc.

The only true edge that they have left is being the first stores to stock an item. But that edge is 36 hours at the most. You can always find releases in major retailers within 2 days of release.

So it's either merge with your competitor or waste away.
Well good riddens to them, if they do lose the battle. I think my brain shut down the first time an employee tried to explain to me why the opened game his employee just brought back from his house was still "new."
Old 04-18-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I kinda like the idea, I enjoy digging thru the used games and filling out my collection, and they both often carry used DVDs which I also enjoy digging thru. The used market is where the big chains fall down. They don't have the infrastructure to handle buying the good used games and refusing the two dozen copies of Elmo Does Something Annoying.

However, I have to share this story. There's also a place for the independents: wife and I were exploring our new neighborhood and I noticed a privately owned used game store. The left side was all used games and the right was car stereo equipment. There was no organization, and the prices were all over the place. But we walked out with Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Wisdom for the Saturn, $7.50 each

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.