TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question About The Dead Zone

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About The Dead Zone

I never do this so forgive me.

The other day I saw that The Dead Zone was real cheap at Best Buy. I seemed to recall my wife saying she watched the show a few times and liked it. So I bought the first 2 seasons to watch with her. Now she says she hardly remembers the show if at all. *sigh*

So I want to know if I'll like it. I'm afraid to look online anywhere for fear of spoilers. I'm a huge TV on DVD collector and have all kinds of shows. I saw the show compared to The X-Files which I can't get enough of and I enjoy anything else Chris Carter does.

I'm normally very sure of what I like but I'm trying to save cash where I can. Below are screenshots from DVD Profiler so someone can see what I have and advise me. Should of sorted just the TV shows but it seems some things are mislabeled.

Old 04-16-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah its a cool show. Keep them and watch away...
Old 04-16-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dead Zone? Sounds familiar. Wasn't that on the air a loooooooooong time ago? I've aged so much since the last episode that my memory is fading. Oh, those innocent days of yore ...

I'm not sure how it really compares to The X-Files, but it's a pretty entertaining show and comes together pretty well. They have their fair share of stand-alone stinkers, but overall, it's solid. I say go for it.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 04-16-05 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
The Dead Zone? Sounds familiar. Wasn't that on the air a loooooooooong time ago? I've aged so much since the last episode that my memory is fading. Oh, those innocent days of yore ...

I'm not sure how it really compares to The X-Files, but it's a pretty entertaining show and comes together pretty well. They have their fair share of stand-alone stinkers, but overall, it's solid. I say go for it.

das
I take it that it's been some time since a new show has aired?
Old 04-17-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
The best thing about the show (and it's pretty good) is that they somehow manage to stretch a very simple concept into a lot of entertaining television. Hopefully this isn't a spoiler, but Johnny basically has one power. I had no idea they could tell so many interesting stories around that one power.
Old 04-17-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check the 3rd disc of your 2nd Dead Zone season as soon as possible, there's a manufacturer's defect. If it doesn't show up at the beginning of the disc (freezing video), check the episodes "Zion" and "Playing God" for the same error. I had to return my copy to DeepDiscountDVD for replacement 4 times.
Old 04-17-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I've watched several episodes of the The Dead Zone and enjoyed them, and I see a lot of stuff I also like in your list, so you'd probably like it.
Old 04-17-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I take it that it's been some time since a new show has aired?
I remember I was in the hospital for the birth of my son when the last episode aired. My son is now 8 months old, so it has been awhile.

I recommend the show. I also watch many of the same shows on your list so we probably have similar tastes. It's not a ground-breaking show, but it is solid and entertaining. Anthony Michael Hall is surprising, his acting is top notch. He does a great job.
Old 04-17-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help all. I broke open the set last night and watched the first two episodes. I think this was a better blind buy than when I bought Harsh Realm earlier this week. I was bummed I got tired early and couldn't watch more.

MovieExchange I'm checking my discs right now. How early to the problems take place in each episode? I'd hate to watch more than I have to in order to find the defect(s). I watched Zion up until the opening credits and will do the same on Playing God. Thanks for the heads up.

I knew I could trust you all to steer me in the right direction. Hall really is impressive and it's good to have someone come out of nowhere and do such a fantastic job. I'll only see the show as it comes to DVD so the long breaks between shows really isn't a problem.
Old 04-18-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I remember I was in the hospital for the birth of my son when the last episode aired. My son is now 8 months old, so it has been awhile.
Wow, it's been that long already? I remember reading a while back that it had been renewed, but TVTome doesn't have a premiere date. But, a March news item does say they are currently filming.
Old 04-18-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MovieExchange I'm checking my discs right now. How early to the problems take place in each episode? I'd hate to watch more than I have to in order to find the defect(s). I watched Zion up until the opening credits and will do the same on Playing God. Thanks for the heads up.
You should know if there's a problem as soon as the disc starts playing. The sound will be jerky and there will probably be no picture. If you get to the main menu without any problem, play the beginning of the two eps. The problem will crop up right in the usual opening intro piece, so you don't have to worry about seeing any of the episode. Same issue as when the disc first plays, there may or may not be sound, and everything will be very jerky like the player can't track correctly.
Old 04-18-05, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Wow, it's been that long already? I remember reading a while back that it had been renewed, but TVTome doesn't have a premiere date. But, a March news item does say they are currently filming.
That is good news to hear Chew. I was thinking that the show might never come back on air and end up like "Tru Calling."
Old 04-18-05, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
June 12, I believe, is the start date.
Old 04-18-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
You should know if there's a problem as soon as the disc starts playing. The sound will be jerky and there will probably be no picture. If you get to the main menu without any problem, play the beginning of the two eps. The problem will crop up right in the usual opening intro piece, so you don't have to worry about seeing any of the episode. Same issue as when the disc first plays, there may or may not be sound, and everything will be very jerky like the player can't track correctly.
Both episodes seem to be ok. I wonder if I didn't get a later pressing since there was a correction sheet inside my copy. The episode listing is wrong on the DVD packaging and there is a replacement sheet inside with the correct info.
Old 04-18-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Dead Zone is a GREAT TV show (one of the few TV shows, like Buffy and Alien Nation, that are better than their movie versions) and the DVD series sets are very well made. I don't know if it's as good as The X-Files in its prime, but it's right up there. I think it's one of the best series on TV.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6775

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11275
Old 04-18-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Love the show. If it had been on during the past 6 months, I would have included it as one of the top 5 I must watch.
Old 04-18-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Another vote of confidence for the Dead Zone...wish it didn't take so long to get new episodes. I wouldn't necessarily compare it to X-Files, except for the fact that it has a mythology storyline that it comes back to every so often...and much like X-Files, thats where the really good stuff is. Luckily, DZ has yet to posion its own well...its more like DS9, the longer it runs, the stronger and better that core story gets.

The standalone range from really good, clever, creative, to....average.

And its got Nicole DeBoer...I'm happy.
Old 04-19-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately a good show. While I wouldn't call it great, it is very very good and highly enjoyable. Definately worth owning. A lot of the stand alone eps are good for rewatching.
Old 04-19-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoy this show, have pre-ordered season 3 as I missed the start of the season and also have the other two. This show just seemed to click from the very beginning. I like the fact it is on USA and the episode count is lower so that attention can be paid to developing good stories for the excellent characters.

How can a show go wrong with an excellent cast (Nicole deBoer, Anthony Michael Hall, David Ogden Stiers) and an amazing guest cast (Robert Culp, Louis Gossett, Ally Sheedy)? Truly amazing talent.

I am also impressed that the creator's have been able to retain much of the flavor of King's novel and keep the stories fresh and involving.

Great show.
Old 04-19-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both episodes seem to be ok. I wonder if I didn't get a later pressing since there was a correction sheet inside my copy. The episode listing is wrong on the DVD packaging and there is a replacement sheet inside with the correct info.
I got that episode listing sheet in all 5 replacement copies as well :-) More than likely DeepDiscountDVD just got a bad batch.