Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else here get picked to Beta test console titles?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-15-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was kind of shocked when I got picked to Beta test Battlefield: Modern Combat. One, because I've never been asked before and two, because my Playstation Underground profile pretty clearly shows I don't like FPS games. However, I decided to go ahead and try it. Glad I did because the game is a great cure for insomnia. It does have a few cool vehicles like tanks and boats, but overall its the same dull capture the flag stuff done a hundred times over in this genre that I can't stand for more than five minutes. I usually get bored right away and just decide to play the guy that goes psycho during the battle and start killing my own troops. I killed 47 of them the last time out. Yes, I should have turned the beta test down because its probably a good game, just not my cup of tea. The only online game like this I actually enjoyed playing was Crimson Skies.

Anyway, my actual question is how often do these beta tests happen? Is this something many of you do all the time? Is this a regular process all games go through?
Old 04-15-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Anyway, my actual question is how often do these beta tests happen? Is this something many of you do all the time? Is this a regular process all games go through?
I have done some PC games from time to time. I know all games go through it, some of it is passed onto average gamers (your case) and in some cases there are paid "professionals" (Mario Club).

Are you getting paid, or is your "payment" the fact that you got to play it early?
Old 04-15-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Are you getting paid, or is your "payment" the fact that you got to play it early?
No money, just the early version of the game to play. I believe once the test period is over the disc will no longer be able to connect or work online to play.