Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Better speaker placement-floor of ceiling?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm moving and getting a new cabinet. My wife doesn't want my B&W 602s on stands. My options are to put them on top of the cabinet tilted down (Its 79" high), or on the floor in a cabinet with cloth cutouts.

Which is better of two evils. I will also likely have to put the center channel on the floor.
Old 04-12-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really all boils down to how it sounds, and every room has different acoustics. If those are your only two placement options to work with, try them both and see what sounds most natural to you and go from there.

Last edited by woofman; 04-12-05 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skinsfan
I'm moving and getting a new cabinet. My wife doesn't want my B&W 602s on stands. My options are to put them on top of the cabinet tilted down (Its 79" high), or on the floor in a cabinet with cloth cutouts.

Which is better of two evils. I will also likely have to put the center channel on the floor.
Having owned a pair of 602's they are going to sound best on the stands. If this is for a home theater then the right and left channels need to be as close to horizontal with the screen as possible. Frankly, I would tell here they need to be on the stands and offer to buy stands that are more attractive!

Good luck!
Old 04-12-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to put them on top of the cabinet ( I think they'll sound fine if done right) make sure you angle them down and also make sure that the top edge of the cabinet does not get in the way (not in the path of the sound). I would also put the center channel in the same location. Putting the fronts on top of the cabinet and the center on the floor will not sound as good as having them all above. All 3 of my fronts are wall mounted above my screen (9' off the floor) and angled towards the listening area. They sound great and you cannot tell that the sound is coming from above the screen.

Stew