Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Widescreen Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Xbox Widescreen Problem

OK, I'm having a slight problem with my Xbox on my new Plasma TV : While the image fills up the whole screen and looks pretty great, there are visable verticle lines across the picture. They aren't too obvious, but they're definately there. They seem most notable in the FMV parts of SC:CT (I know there are horizontal lines added to the FMV to look like a TV broadcast, but these verticle lines divide the picture into little squares). It's also most noticable in dark areas (which is of course, everywhere in a Splinter Cell game).
Is there any way to fix these verticle lines? Do I have something set incorrectly?
Old 04-11-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand of plasma is it? I hear most have troubles displaying TRUE BLACKS...so, the darkness may be off.

Also, are you using the High Def Pack w/component cables? Do you have 480p/720p/1080i enabled in your XBOX dashboard?
Old 04-11-05, 11:09 PM

It's not an issue with the display (it's a Samsung). Both DVDs and PS2 games look amazing on it. There's no striping in the PS2 games, which like the Xbox are routed by componant cables through my Dennon receiver and outputted into the monitor through componant input one. I do have all three modes enabled(480p/720p/1080i ). I should, right? What's even weirder is that I don't see any striping with my xbox dashboard, just with games.

Compare these phone photos:
Halo 2 menu

God of War menu

See what I'm talking about? What is going on here?
Old 04-11-05, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be an offshoot of this problem http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413956 MS admits there's something wrong in the way the signal is sent to widescreen sets. I haven't heard/seen anyone over on the Xbox forum complain about what you are complaining about but I haven't really looked either...
Old 04-11-05, 11:57 PM

Mine sounds like a different sort of problem from yours. It does seem to be a signal problem with the output of games, though. It's nothing that's too bad, but it's certainly weird to have some PS2 games look better that the best Xbox ones.
Old 04-12-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried plugging the component cables in direct from your XBOX to you TV? Maybe something is getting messed up in the Denon receiver (although it shouldn't, since my XBOX is going through my receiver)

I would try it just to see at least.
Old 04-13-05, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Have you tried plugging the component cables in direct from your XBOX to you TV? Maybe something is getting messed up in the Denon receiver (although it shouldn't, since my XBOX is going through my receiver)

I would try it just to see at least.
Well, the thing is, if that were the case, the xbox dashboard would also be striped. It isn't. It's something with the game playback. I can't figure out what. Is there a CS line to call?
Old 09-11-05, 02:26 AM

Just updating this tread in case anyone has a similar problem in the future. I moved the cables to all different inputs, I swapped out the cables. Still had stripes on the monitor. Strangely enough, I brought my xbox to tweeter (where they had an xbox hooked to a lcd HD monitor) and it wasn't striping there. Finally, with my extended warranty running out, I sent the xbox back to BB and got a voucher. Picked up a new one last weekend (with another expended warranty I might add). No more striping. So it must have been some sort of an error in the CD drive or something. I hate losing some of my game saves that weren't transferable, but what can you do?