Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Does ketchup have expiration date?

madara
04-10-05, 05:34 PM
I have this huge sealed Heinz ketchup bottle but has no exp date. I think has to be at least 15 months old, given last time I eaten normally. Throw it out and do these things last forever? I could give them to my tidwad family that only eat generic, either I poison them or they feel like royalty while eating their fries :)

Darkfriend
04-10-05, 05:59 PM
either I poison them or they feel like royalty while eating their fries :)

:lol: funny stuff.

I just checked on my 1 litre bottle and there's a code with 06:09 under it... Is it June 2009 or September 2006?? There's even a customer service number but it's closed today. Hehe I wonder how many calls they get a day.

Atreus
04-10-05, 06:02 PM
I think ketchup is technically pickled so it will last a long time before going bad. It is definitley still good after 15 months.

Numanoid
04-10-05, 06:50 PM
Ketchup lasts forever. Catsup, on the other hand, has a shelf life of three months.

Mano
04-10-05, 07:00 PM
Heinz's website (http://www.heinz.com/jsp/consumer_faq.jsp#Product%20Packaging) says:

The shelf life of a product depends on a number of factors, such as storage time, temperature, age and container. However, in general, if stored properly, the following shelf life expectancies would apply for product that is unopened:

12 Months: Ketchup (including Heinz Ketchup Kick'rs and EZ Squirt), Tartar Sauce, Horseradish Sauce.

18 Months: Gravy, Pickles, cocktail Sauce, Wine Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Jack Daniel's Grilling Sauce.

24 Months: Mustard, Chili Sauce, Relish, Malt Vinegar.

30 Months: 57 Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Beans, Tarragon Vinegar.

42 Months: Distilled White Vinegar, Salad Vinegar

So there you have it.

naughty jonny
04-10-05, 07:04 PM
I think honey, extremely salted things, and strong alcohol are about the only thing that doesn't have a real expiry date (ie can keep for decades if not longer).

As for ketchup, what's the cost of a bottle? A buck, buck fifty? Personally, at that price I'd be inclined to toss it and buy another bottle just to be safe.

And unless you're a real fan, there is probably no saving to be found by buying the really huge bottle if you're only going to use 1/4 to 1/3 of it in 12 months or so.

muggins
04-10-05, 07:26 PM
Expiration doesn't matter much to me. I'm just happy so long as there isn't a penis in my ketchup bottle.

DVD Polizei
04-10-05, 07:55 PM
I told you not to buy Uncle Bobbit's Ketchup. Some people never learn. -rolleyes-

nazz
04-10-05, 07:55 PM
*nazz takes his penis out of Muggins' ketchup bottle*

DVD Polizei
04-10-05, 08:01 PM
...and then does voiceovers in a squeaky-high voice...

nazz: "High Muggins...it's time to eat your fries...weee"

muggins
04-10-05, 08:49 PM
:mad:

and it was a new bottle too...

TomOpus
04-10-05, 08:51 PM
Here's a handy chart for expiration dates of various foods. It's a few years old but should be fairly accurate.

Expiration Date Chart (http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html)

Squirrel God
04-10-05, 08:55 PM
I think honey
What a lovely affectionate way to address another forum member :)

You don't need to pay too much attention to Ketchup expiry dates anyway. They are "best before" dates rather than "use by" dates. So long as it looks okay and tastes okay, you're good to go :up:

garolo
04-11-05, 09:22 AM
Here's a handy chart for expiration dates of various foods. It's a few years old but should be fairly accurate.

Expiration Date Chart (http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html)

What's the expiration date of that chart?
It's 6 years old already. Some of those things must be invalid already.

Tissues have an expiration date?

TomOpus
04-11-05, 06:22 PM
What's the expiration date of that chart?
It's 6 years old already. Some of those things must be invalid already.

Tissues have an expiration date?Hey, I wouldn't want to blow my nose with expired tissue :p

I'm sure some of the info might be out of date but I'd say with better technology, the shelf life might have increased rather than decreased. I'll see if I can find a more up-to-date list.

costanza
04-11-05, 09:40 PM
the grimace cannot be killed.

SFranke
04-11-05, 09:47 PM
I think honey, extremely salted things, and strong alcohol are about the only thing that doesn't have a real expiry date (ie can keep for decades if not longer).

Don't forget jelly, jam, and other super-sugary foods. Bacteria cannot grow in these foods easily because water in the bacteria's cell is drawn out into the food, which is a hypertonic solution, via osmosis. The bacteria cell dies as a result of this dehydration. And now you know!