Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Desperate Housewives -- "Children Will Listen" -- 04.10.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-10-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Children Will Listen"

Spoiler:
Susan's mom, Sophie (guest star Lesley Ann Warren), pays an unannounced visit to Wisteria Lane after she and her boyfriend (guest star Bob Newhart) call it quits. Meanwhile, Gabrielle faces Carlos' wrath after he learns about the settlement, and Lynette and Bree experience a chill in their friendship after Bree babysits Lynette's kids and dares to discipline Porter.
Old 04-10-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We finally get some answers:

Zach was a stolen adoptee, Huber's sister knew about it, and that Zach's real name was Dana. The woman in the box, according to Paul, was a Private Investigator looking into Zach's whereabouts (presumably from Paul and Mary Alice running away after taking Zach from medical facility where Mary Alice and Huber's sister worked at).

Gabby and Carlos's power play is heating up, and Carlos is a nasty man for forcing Gabby to sign a post-nup to make sure Gabby doesn't skip out on him while he's in prison (mainly the negligence settlement is main bone of contention). But with the paternity of Gabby's all-but-certain child will be questionable since Gabby sought out the lawn boy to make Carlos jealous.

Bree finally finds out that Andrew thinks he's gay, and she bolts for the door at the counselling campgrounds. Lynette made Bree feel bad by bringing up her track record with Andrew after Lynette found out that Bree spanked one of her kids during some babysitting that Lynette begged Bree to do for her.

Susan has her hands full with a crazier mom, Sophie, and even fails at getting Morty (Sophie's guy) to take her back because she's highly jealous and crazy.
Old 04-10-05, 09:54 PM

Holy crap, we got all that? I guess this wasn't a good night for me to completely forget all about this show.
Old 04-10-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
So is Mike's former girlfriend the one in the chest?

Susan and her mother's storyline was annoying.

We already knew that Gabby was a bitch.

Scavo was awesome when she threatened Preston w/ the possiblity of going over to Mrs. Van De Kamp's.
Old 04-10-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
So is Mike's former girlfriend the one in the chest?
That's what I was thinking too -- it'll definitely fit another piece into the puzzle.

And was that chest in the attic (or basement) all of those years???
Old 04-10-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought it was interesting that Carlos is seen as a vile, vicious scumbag for grabbing that cheating twat's wrist, but Sophie beating up Morty in the parking lot was comedy. You so rarely see a guy punching around his wife played for laffs.

Was Zach some sort of an experimental baby?

Originally Posted by dhmac
And was that chest in the attic (or basement) all of those years???
I think it was buried under the swimming pool.
When Mike was meeting with his benefactor, did they ever mention that the missing girl was a P.I.? If that's the girl in the trunk, what is Mike supposed to do?

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 04-10-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 11:00 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
For those who care, "Children Will Listen" is a song from the Stephen Sondhiem broadway musical "Into The Woods."
Old 04-10-05, 11:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Lynette threatening to send her kids over to Bree's house was funny

Should be interesting to see who the father of Gabrielle's baby will be. They were hinting at John by I imagine the father will still turn out to be Carlos.

It was good some of the main stories finally got moved along.
Old 04-11-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally, plenty of movement in the various storylines.

I hope Newhart isn't just a single short cameo.
Old 04-11-05, 07:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Ouch, this show must be waning in popularity around here. Time was, this would be on page two by now.
Old 04-11-05, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ouch, this show must be waning in popularity around here. Time was, this would be on page two by now.
I'm starting to really dislike the show. It's lost all of that initial playfulness. The storylines are getting more hardcore and every character is getting annoying. I almost pray for Edie to be in it cause at least she's supposed to be that way. I still like Brie and Lynette the most, but the "unruly" kids plotline for Lynette is getting old real fast.

BTW...I think Mike's girlfriend was in the box and she was Dana/Zach's real mother. The dad hinted that she had come to take him away...and I'm guessing that she was the birthmother who had tracked down her son.

Also, shouldn't Carlos already be in jail? Seems like last week's episode mentioned that he was to go to jail the next morning, yet, this one episode encompassed at least 3-4 days.
Old 04-11-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I thought the blanket Susan got with Dana on it was pink.

Is a contract signed under duress w/o any witnesses legal? Gabby should call his bluff on the bank account, I think he was lying about moving it, and she had proof of the account the prosecutor should be able to use that even if the money was moved.
Old 04-11-05, 09:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Good episode last night. Gabrielle looks like she'll be in quite the predicament with Carlos and John.
Old 04-11-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode last night, Martha's sister is really sneaky. Not like Martha but sneaky-devious. Interesting how she is helping Zach discover/remember information.

Could Dana really be a boys name or is Zach a "misunderstood" child?

I also agree that Mike's person to find is the one in the box. Also agree that she is probably Zach/Dana's mother. Wonder if speculation will again rest on Mike since he has a record?

Thought Mike had the best line when stating that he finally found out why Susan is the way she is.

Looking forward to next weeks.
Old 04-11-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone fill me in on Mike's girlfriend, the chest, and the PI. I must have spaced out during all of those moments.

Was last night the first time the Chest was mentioned? The chest was thrown into the water. Is it implied that Zach's dad threw it in?

Last edited by CRM114; 04-11-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
Is a contract signed under duress w/o any witnesses legal? Gabby should call his bluff on the bank account, I think he was lying about moving it, and she had proof of the account the prosecutor should be able to use that even if the money was moved.
That's what I was thinking. Although I don't exactly know what constitutes duress, I would think holding someone's wrist and making them sign something would do it.
Old 04-11-05, 10:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Was last night the first time the Chest was mentioned? The chest was thrown into the water. Is it implied that Zach's dad threw it in?
You must have missed several episodes, this was all shown explicitly earlier in the season. Paul dug the chest out from under the swimming pool and dumped it in the water in the dead of night.
Old 04-11-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I'm starting to really dislike the show. It's lost all of that initial playfulness. The storylines are getting more hardcore and every character is getting annoying. I almost pray for Edie to be in it cause at least she's supposed to be that way. I still like Brie and Lynette the most, but the "unruly" kids plotline for Lynette is getting old real fast.

BTW...I think Mike's girlfriend was in the box and she was Dana/Zach's real mother. The dad hinted that she had come to take him away...and I'm guessing that she was the birthmother who had tracked down her son.

Also, shouldn't Carlos already be in jail? Seems like last week's episode mentioned that he was to go to jail the next morning, yet, this one episode encompassed at least 3-4 days.
I am getting tired of the show as well. Oh well it was fun at the start.
Old 04-11-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dana Carvey - yes, Dana is a boy's name, too.

The baby blanket was yellow.

Carlos is a bastard, both for lying to Gaby (hiding the money in the first place, being a crook) and for physically forcing her to sign a post-nup, and Gaby is a cheating bitch (self-explanatory - but I think she was justified with the money after he lost it all ). I don't think the post nup would hold up in court. I don't think Carlos really moved the money. I don't think Gaby is smart enough to realize either fact.

I never really "liked" any of them - but I do so love the intrigue and crap they get into. If it were real life, I'd NEVER want anything to do with any of the members of Wisteria lane, but this isn't real life.

No, it is not acceptable for women to hit men, but silly women slapping and biting (through clothes) are SO not the same thing as men actually hitting wrt "laugh" quotient.

Zach's dad dug up the pool - that's where the toy chest was. I think based on last night's ep that the woman in the trunk was either sent by Zach's real mom/dad or was his real mom. I think the woman is Mike's ex, and I hope he and her dad will get some closure.

This show is wicked, and always has been - the people are not "good" - they revel in their flaws. And that's why it's so entertaining.
Old 04-11-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I really liked this episode, but I agree with some of the sentiments here. In fact, if it weren't for the eye candy, i'd go watch paint dry whenever Gabby was on the screen. She's truly a despicable character.
Old 04-11-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
You must have missed several episodes, this was all shown explicitly earlier in the season. Paul dug the chest out from under the swimming pool and dumped it in the water in the dead of night.
Oh yeah, yeah. Geez, that six week hiatus was too long.
Old 04-11-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, Carlos is despicable, too, for playing around with her birth control pills to put her in a situation she DOES NOT WANT. Why can't he understand she WILL NOT change her mind -- NOT wanting children is as ingrown to some as wanting them is to others. And I've seen no religious or moral indication that Gabrielle wouldn't abort in a minute, anyway.
Old 04-11-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you all think Felicia is really Martha's sister? Nothing is straightfoward in this show, it seems. I am betting she is working with Mike or was supposed to be Mike's replacement and is competition for him.
Old 04-11-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
We finally get some answers:

Zach was a stolen adoptee, Huber's sister knew about it, and that Zach's real name was Dana. The woman in the box, according to Paul, was a Private Investigator looking into Zach's whereabouts (presumably from Paul and Mary Alice running away after taking Zach from medical facility where Mary Alice and Huber's sister worked at).

Gabby and Carlos's power play is heating up, and Carlos is a nasty man for forcing Gabby to sign a post-nup to make sure Gabby doesn't skip out on him while he's in prison (mainly the negligence settlement is main bone of contention). But with the paternity of Gabby's all-but-certain child will be questionable since Gabby sought out the lawn boy to make Carlos jealous.

Bree finally finds out that Andrew thinks he's gay, and she bolts for the door at the counselling campgrounds. Lynette made Bree feel bad by bringing up her track record with Andrew after Lynette found out that Bree spanked one of her kids during some babysitting that Lynette begged Bree to do for her.

Susan has her hands full with a crazier mom, Sophie, and even fails at getting Morty (Sophie's guy) to take her back because she's highly jealous and crazy.

We got all that? I must have watched a different show and I have it on tape. I recall a lot of the stuff about Bree and Lynette, but just a tid bit about Zach. I just got the Dana part.

Overall, another good ep. Gabrielle is finally starting to look sympathetic, as it is just plain wrong to manhandle a woman IMO. Once again, Lynette and Bree were the heart and soul of the show; they have a right to get ticked at Hatcher getting all of the attention IMHO.
Old 04-11-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I hope Newhart isn't just a single short cameo.
It's not. One of the entertainment news shows, the one on E! I think, said last week that he'll be a recurring character.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.