Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen + Paul Rodgers album & Queen tribute disc due this year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from www.musictap.net;

Hollywood Records will be releasing a Queen + Paul Rodgers album on August 30th. No details as to *what* this is yet but I'm willing to bet it's a live album, no doubt to tie in with a probable US tour. I'd imagine a DVD wouldn't be far behind (if not out at the same time.) I can't imagine it'd be a studio album of new material, I don't think they've had the time to do it.

Also, Hollywood Records is releasing a Queen tribute album July 12th. The only confirmed artist/track so far is Sum 41 doing a version of "Killer Queen." Rumored artists include Green Day (who have been ending their concerts lately with "We are the Champions",) Metallica and Elton John. Velvet Revolver *could* have a track as well since they confirmed doing a version of "Tie Your Mother Down" as a B-side.
Old 04-09-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Pass.

You want to pay tribute to Queen? Avoid this Paul Rodgers debacle and go out and purchase every Queen album, if you haven't already. Then turn your friends on to their music, and have them go out and purchase every album.

That's how you can pay tribute to Queen.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 04-09-05 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the musical We Will Rock You tributing Queen enough?

I'd rather pay and see that than hear the no talented hacks known as Sum 41 rape a Queen classic.

[And before anybody says anything, I've seen We Will Rock You on six occasions. It's a brilliantly done musical paying perfect tribute to Queen's music and their legacy. I just wish the Vegas show wasn't cut for time and content, unlike the original British show.]

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-09-05 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Milk that "Q" for all it's worth, Brian and Roger. Next you guys will be in a Pepsi commercial with Britney Spears singing We Will Rock Y-...

Oh yeah!

Old 04-09-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Pass.

You want to pay tribute to Queen? Avoid this Paul Rodgers debacle and go out and purchase every Queen album, if you haven't already. Then turn your friends on to their music, and have them go out and purchase every album.

That's how you can pay tribute to Queen.
Great post. I completely agree.

Why don't they spend their time going through their vaults and doing something like The Beatles did with their Anthology series? I have several bootlegs and god knows there is a ton of alternate takes, demos, unreleased songs, etc. out there that could be remastered & sold legitimately which could make the cash hogs Brian & Roger is even richer.

Has John Deacon made any statements in regards to all of this crap?
Old 04-09-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I understand, John pretty much seperated himself completely from anything to do with Queen after Freddie died.
Old 04-09-05, 05:32 PM

From what I understand, John pretty much seperated himself completely from anything to do with Queen after Freddie died.

That kind of implies that he does not like what Brian & Roger are doing which is not the case. Besides, since Freddie died John performaed at the Freddie tribute concert, recorded the "Made In Heaven" album & the "No One But You" single plus their final performance together with Elton John in Paris, 1997.

John has simply retired from music completely, he doesn't even grant interviews. Recording and performing were never his passion and now he just wants to live the quiet life. John has given Brian & Roger his blessings to do what they wish.

As for Queen + Paul Rodgers, I do wonder if those that harshly criticize the collaboration have actually *heard* any of their performances yet. I'm thinking they haven't because from the MP3's that I have heard, I've rather enjoyed it.

Regarding the tribute album, what exactly is so bad hearing bands cover some of their favorites and perhaps introduce Queen's music to a younger generation?
Old 04-09-05, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
That kind of implies that he does not like what Brian & Roger are doing which is not the case. Besides, since Freddie died John performaed at the Freddie tribute concert, recorded the "Made In Heaven" album & the "No One But You" single plus their final performance together with Elton John in Paris, 1997.

John has simply retired from music completely, he doesn't even grant interviews. Recording and performing were never his passion and now he just wants to live the quiet life. John has given Brian & Roger his blessings to do what they wish.

As for Queen + Paul Rodgers, I do wonder if those that harshly criticize the collaboration have actually *heard* any of their performances yet. I'm thinking they haven't because from the MP3's that I have heard, I've rather enjoyed it.

Regarding the tribute album, what exactly is so bad hearing bands cover some of their favorites and perhaps introduce Queen's music to a younger generation?

I think what's ruffling people's feathers is that they're continuing to represent themselves as Queen. No doubt they're all responsible for the for the legacy of the band, but Queen was one of the few groups in rock that was so closely identified with their unique lead singer. Anyone else in that role is blasphemy to a lot of fans.

The collaboration may yet prove to produce some great music. And maybe people could open their ears to it, if it wasn't so easy to feel the shadow of Mercury hanging over it.

As for the tribute album, I think the best way to expose a younger generation to the music is through the original recording. There are few bands, who I think have to be from the same bloodline musically, that can pull off a great cover of someone else.

Last edited by stinkeye; 04-09-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-09-05, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by stinkeye
I think what's ruffling people's feathers is that they're continuing to represent themselves as Queen. No doubt they're all responsible for the for the legacy of the band, but Queen was one of the few groups in rock that was so closely identified with their unique lead singer. Anyone else in that role is blasphemy to a lot of fans.

The collaboration may yet prove to produce some great music. And maybe people could open their ears to it, if it wasn't so easy to feel the shadow of Mercury hanging over it.
Well as long as people realize that Rodgers has not actually *joined* the band or anything. Hence the Queen + bit. It's not like he's a replacement or is trying at all to be like Freddie what so ever. It's unique and different enough to be appreciated on it's own terms.

Were people this hard on AC/DC?
Old 04-09-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you read a little too much into my statement, friend. I never said he didn't like what they were doing. What I said about John's involvement with Queen over the years is essentially true. You basically just added a few tidbits of information to back it up.
Old 04-09-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two totally different things. AC/DC were not quite at a Queen level of popularity when Brian Johnson joined them. Hell, for the longest time I never even knew Brian was a replacement (of course, I was never a huge AC/DC fan)! AC/DC continued after the original singer died, and quite successfully. Queen died with Freddie, and all Brian and Roger are doing is, as many have already put it, milking the past.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 04-09-05 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-09-05, 11:08 PM

Well as long as people realize that Rodgers has not actually *joined* the band or anything. Hence the Queen + bit. It's not like he's a replacement or is trying at all to be like Freddie what so ever. It's unique and different enough to be appreciated on it's own terms.
No doubt, but if they're using the Queen moniker it's not unique, they're dragging the baggage in themselves. It's not my point to say that it can't be great music, I just understand why some people are p.o.'ed.

What a unique situation that was! They replace their singer and become even more popular. Maybe Van Halen is the only other group that did this (for some people anyway).
Old 04-10-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, Hollywood Records is releasing a Queen tribute album July 12th. The only confirmed artist/track so far is Sum 41 doing a version of "Killer Queen." Rumored artists include Green Day (who have been ending their concerts lately with "We are the Champions",) Metallica and Elton John. Velvet Revolver *could* have a track as well since they confirmed doing a version of "Tie Your Mother Down" as a B-side.
Sum 41 kinda kills even considering the album (but so does Metallica...but thats another story).

Honestly, I have my mind set that if there ever was a tribute album James Brown *AND ONLY JAMES BROWN* should be doing a cover of "Another One Bites the Dust".

Only in a perfect world

I am interested in that Velvet Revolver cover though.
Old 04-10-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for the tribute album, I think the best way to expose a younger generation to the music is through the original recording. There are few bands, who I think have to be from the same bloodline musically, that can pull off a great cover of someone else.
Agreed.

That or take the children to Vegas to see the musical. The people in the musical have a lot more talent than say Sum 41 or Metallica.
Old 04-11-05, 12:10 AM

I think you read a little too much into my statement, friend. I never said he didn't like what they were doing. What I said about John's involvement with Queen over the years is essentially true. You basically just added a few tidbits of information to back it up.
I probably did read too much into what you were saying then....but still, how you wrote it did make it somewhat misleading. That's all I'm sayin'.
Old 04-11-05, 12:12 AM

Two totally different things. AC/DC were not quite at a Queen level of popularity when Brian Johnson joined them. Hell, for the longest time I never even knew Brian was a replacement (of course, I was never a huge AC/DC fan)! AC/DC continued after the original singer died, and quite successfully. Queen died with Freddie, and all Brian and Roger are doing is, as many have already put it, milking the past.
I dunno, I just don't see it as them "milking" anything. They don't need the money and still had an itch to go out there live. It's not like they're saying "Paul's better than Freddie ever was!" or anything.
Old 04-11-05, 12:17 AM

No doubt, but if they're using the Queen moniker it's not unique, they're dragging the baggage in themselves. It's not my point to say that it can't be great music, I just understand why some people are p.o.'ed.
The music that is coming from this new puzzle is indeed unique.

If you (this is in reference to anyone) and a partner had created Microsoft and your partner passed away, would you simply throw away the name you worked your whole life to make known/popular/identifiable? In addition, your partner worked just as hard and you knew he wouldn't want his life's work to die with him.....what would you do?

What a unique situation that was! They replace their singer and become even more popular. Maybe Van Halen is the only other group that did this (for some people anyway).
It's damn rare for it to happen of course but unlike the Queen + Rodgers thing, Johnson and Hagar actually became members of the band.
Old 04-11-05, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Agreed.

That or take the children to Vegas to see the musical. The people in the musical have a lot more talent than say Sum 41 or Metallica.
With all due respect, the rock lovin' kids of today wouldn't be caught dead going to a musical.
Old 04-11-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With all due respect, the rock lovin' kids of today wouldn't be caught dead going to a musical.
I know tons of "rock lovin' kids" who have seen the show and have loved it. Hell, even my die-hard Queen fan who thought the musical would be a disgrace to Queen ended up enjoying it.
Old 04-11-05, 09:24 AM

The music that is coming from this new puzzle is indeed unique.

If you (this is in reference to anyone) and a partner had created Microsoft and your partner passed away, would you simply throw away the name you worked your whole life to make known/popular/identifiable? In addition, your partner worked just as hard and you knew he wouldn't want his life's work to die with him.....what would you do?

It's damn rare for it to happen of course but unlike the Queen + Rodgers thing, Johnson and Hagar actually became members of the band.
My point is (and I do have one somewhere), is that using the Queen name is going to bring comparisons between Rogers and Mercury due to the fact that Mercury is the first person most people think of when you bring up the Queen name. He is so identified with the group (like Bill Gates is with Microsoft) that it can't help color the expectations of most people when someone else appears to take his place.
Old 04-11-05, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I know tons of "rock lovin' kids" who have seen the show and have loved it. Hell, even my die-hard Queen fan who thought the musical would be a disgrace to Queen ended up enjoying it.
but you're talking about kids who are already Queen fans.

Your average "punk" fan won't be going as musicals aren't "cool."
Old 04-11-05, 04:17 PM

My point is (and I do have one somewhere), is that using the Queen name is going to bring comparisons between Rogers and Mercury due to the fact that Mercury is the first person most people think of when you bring up the Queen name. He is so identified with the group (like Bill Gates is with Microsoft) that it can't help color the expectations of most people when someone else appears to take his place.
Well then all I'd have to say is if a person can't get over a *name* then it's their problem. They're the one losing out.
Old 04-12-05, 03:52 PM

Currently confirmed list of acts and the tracks that they will be covering
for the forthcoming Hollywood Records Queen Tribute album are as follows:

Gavin Degraw "We Are The Champions"
Jason Mraz "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy"
Josh Kelley "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
Joss Stone "Under Pressure"
Los Lobos "Sleepin On The Sidewalk"
Nickelback "We Will Rock You"
Rooney "Death On Two Legs"
Sum41 "Killer Queen"
Shinedown "Tie Your Mother Down"

Other acts unconfirmed but in line to contribute are The Flaming Lips
(Bohemian Rhapsody), Godsmack, POD, Queens Of The Stone Age and Harry
Connick Jr (Fat Bottomed Girls).
Old 04-14-05, 07:02 PM

From Musictap:

"Hollywood Records announces two interesting DVD titles for September 13,
with one from Jesse McCartney and another from Queen. The projects are
title-less for now."
Old 04-14-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gavin Degraw "We Are The Champions"
Jason Mraz "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy"
Josh Kelley "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
Joss Stone "Under Pressure"
Los Lobos "Sleepin On The Sidewalk"
Nickelback "We Will Rock You"
Rooney "Death On Two Legs"
Sum41 "Killer Queen"
Shinedown "Tie Your Mother Down"

Other acts unconfirmed but in line to contribute are The Flaming Lips
(Bohemian Rhapsody), Godsmack, POD, Queens Of The Stone Age and Harry
Connick Jr (Fat Bottomed Girls).
WOW! THAT'S A WHOLE LOT OF SHIT!

[I take that back. The Los Lobos cover may be decent considering the song, but everything else listed is still shit.]

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-14-05 at 09:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.