Old 09-01-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Russia needs to do something because this is getting out of hand
Old 09-01-04, 12:24 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by raven56706
Russia needs to do something because this is getting out of hand

One of the reasons I am not surprised that this sort of thing hasn't happened in America, is because of capabilities. Russia, as a nation and as a society, doesn't have the necessary capabilities to stop this.
Old 09-01-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Pharoh
Russia, as a nation and as a society, doesn't have the necessary capabilities to stop this.
Honestly, I don't see how we do either.
Old 09-01-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I have to agree with Thor. The US has no more capabilities than any other nation when it comes to terrorist behavior. And actually, I think the US is a much softer target. It's just a matter of time before some people get a clue and start doing things over here.
Old 09-01-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
One of the reasons I am not surprised that this sort of thing hasn't happened in America, is because of capabilities. Russia, as a nation and as a society, doesn't have the necessary capabilities to stop this.
Yup!

One thing has not changed since then: corruption in Russia is so rife that Chechen fighters can make their way through any number of heavily armed checkpoints simply by paying bribes.

One Chechen driver recently estimated that the price of ferrying a bomb through a Russian army checkpoint was 500 roubles (£9 or $17).

That means that to defeat this problem the Russian president needs completely to overhaul his security services.
Not to mention that instead ot trying to mobilize and gain the support of the majority of the Chechen population who reject fundamentalist Islam, Putin has done nothing but exclude and alienate them.
Old 09-01-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Venusian
no these are terrorists who want control over a piece of land. they are fighting for power. they realized that most of the other people that support them share a religion so they figure if they add the religious name to it, they'll get backing from others. It worked. now (some) muslims everywhere support them atleast in word.

similar situation in N. Ireland with Protestants against Catholics. its not about religion, its about power
Well yes and no. The (somewhat moderate) pro-independence Chechen rebels who were fighting in the 90's have slowly been replaced by a new breed of Islamic fundamentalists Chechens on a mission of Jihad. A lot of them were trained in Afghanistan by Al Quaeda and I would argue that a lot of them aren't Chechens at all. The majority of the Chechen population reject Islamic fundamentalism. And as I noted above, Putin did absolutely nothing to gain the support of that population.
Old 09-01-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
similar situation in N. Ireland with Protestants against Catholics. its not about religion, its about power
Correct. It has never been about religion in the north of Ireland. It is just easier for the media to report it that way. It just so happens that the majority of one religion is on one side while the other mostly happen to be on another side. The struggle in Ireland is about uniting Ireland as one country (as it will one day again be) and equal rights for Irish in the north.

If you want to learn more on the subject, check out these books:

Trinity by Leon Uris (describes very well the hundreds of years of history...)

Belfast Diary (a journalist's accounts of living in the north of Ireland - having a false pretention, then learning from his surroundings).

Or for DVD fans... check out Bloody Sunday (where you will see that the leader of the Irish Civil Rights movement happend to be protestant and saw how the Irish Catholics were treated as second class citizens and he had the balls to do something about it.

Or Some Mother's Son (I think only available on VHS right now). This goes through the history of the hunger strikers. Very powerful movie.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, I just wanted to clarify that one very previlant misconception.
Old 09-01-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, if you had terrorist acts in your nation, wouldn't you exclude and alienate them? I sure would. I expect the same in the US.

Russia's Alfa terrorist team will probably get this over with by Friday or the weekend. I don't see how these guys can think their terrorist buds being set free is going to help any. They will be hunted down and slaughtered.

But I do have to admit, these acts are better coordinated than what Al Qaeda have tried to do (post 9/11). Al Qaeda speaks more than they talk. The Chechen terrorists act more than they talk. I would fear these Chechen terrorists more than Al Qaeda.
Old 09-01-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I have to agree with Thor. The US has no more capabilities than any other nation when it comes to terrorist behavior.
It didn't take 15 armed men to do this here, it took two punks that went to the school. And they could have blown the place up if they did it right. The outcome was tragic and could have been much worse.
Old 09-01-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Well, if you had terrorist acts in your nation, wouldn't you exclude and alienate them? I sure would. I expect the same in the US.

Please see my 2nd post.
Old 09-01-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As for the current situation in Russia. I honestly do not know a lot about the struggle and so I can't comment with any strength where the fault lies (as I hate it when people assume to know what happens in the north of Ireland when reality is not reported often). But I have to say it is never acceptable to harm or threaten to harm innocent children. I do hope and pray they find some peaceful resolution and avoid killing more innocents.
Old 09-01-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, the weakest points in a civilized society will always reap a terrorist large body counts.
Old 09-01-04, 01:02 PM
Banned

Russia + Chechnya = Israeli + Palestinian
they going down that path
Old 09-01-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
It didn't take 15 armed men to do this here, it took two punks that went to the school. And they could have blown the place up if they did it right. The outcome was tragic and could have been much worse.
Exactly. Harris and Klebold had free reign of Columbine High, wandering the halls while the cops and SWAT twiddled their thumbs outside, afraid to do anything. Surprised it has happened since.
Old 09-01-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I'm all for the "terrorist kills our children, we kill terrorist's entire family" argument.

They're more than ready and willing to die for Allah, but are they willing to sacrifice their son? Daughter? Mom? Grandmother? Uncle Moishe?

This is extreme. But I think it's a language they'll easily understand.
Old 09-01-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I'm all for the "terrorist kills our children, we kill terrorist's entire family" argument.

They're more than ready and willing to die for Allah, but are they willing to sacrifice their son? Daughter? Mom? Grandmother? Uncle Moishe?

Uncle Moishe???? damn he is still alive..... that bastard
Old 09-01-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser

Some terrorists have been disowned by their own families.
Old 09-01-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
How come I have a feeling that a VERY low percentage of terrorists have an Uncle Moishe?
Old 09-01-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Some terrorists have been disowned by their own families.
They should disown them the old fashioned way: with a boat-hook.

I would say that if I had a cousin or a brother or a father running around blowing up children and innocents, in the name of God or Country or Power, I'd personally put a bullet in his brain and not regret it for a minute.

But then again I'm a MAJOR douchebag sometimes.
Old 09-01-04, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Myster X
Russia + Chechnya = Israeli + Palestinian
they going down that path

Big difference in the makeup of the population, and whom that populace supports.
Old 09-01-04, 02:08 PM

I had a long post typed out and almost finished about why these type of attacks will not become the norm in America. However, I became too distracted to finish it and I am too lazy to redo it. So, my feelings were summed up nicely by eX Our society and our security forces are eminently more prepared to deal with these situtions, deal with them before they even happen. I am absolutely convinced that planned attacks since 9/11 have been thwarted, as example.

Can isolated incidences happen? Of course they can, and might. The people and government of America make this frequently happening almost an impossibility.
Old 09-01-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
WWSD?

Old 09-01-04, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by covenant
WWSD?

He couldn't screw it up much more than the Russians have done with their two previous situations that were similar.
Old 09-01-04, 03:08 PM
Banned

Big difference in the makeup of the population, and whom that populace supports.
Doesn't matter. Chechnya is pretty much lawless and any gov't officials show their support for mother Russia are targeted. I don't think the militants think twice which side the populace suports. They simply want the Russians out.
Old 09-01-04, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Myster X
Doesn't matter. Chechnya is pretty much lawless and any gov't officials show their support for mother Russia are targeted. I don't think the militants think twice which side the populace suports. They simply want the Russians out.

It does matter though. As my Canadian friend correctly pointed out, most of those engaged in committing acts of violent terrorism are not same individuals as those who were fighting ten years ago. They are fundamentalist who desire to implement Sharia so that they can control the population, a population who doesn't by and large want them there. I understand what you are saying, but perhaps a more analogous situation would be the ones in the Phillipines or even Afghanistan. Of course it is unique because of the whole autonomy issue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.