Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Greatest American Hero Season 2 - No Eve of Destruction

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Greatest American Hero Season 2 - No Eve of Destruction

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere yet about Greatest American Hero Season 2 DVD set which came out on Tuesday. I just started watching it this morning (still one of my favorite shows from the '80s) and found out that 'they' did what I hoped they wouldn't do and replaced "Eve of Destruction" from the second episode "Operation: Spoilsport" with some blank pop music...even though Ralph clearly says they were playing 'eve of destruction' right afterwards.

I didn't notice the music replacements in season one too much as it had been awhile since I'd seen the show, but 'eve of destruction' was integral to this episode and I think 'they' should have made every effort to obtain the rights even if it upped the price of the sets a couple bucks.

Otherwise, the video and packaging are comparable to season one and I'm enjoying rewatching season 2 but that's a big nit for me.

Haven't gotten too far into the set to see if there are other noticeable changes but I think that's the big one I was worried about.

Michael
Old 04-07-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too bad, that was one of the better episodes. And yeah, the song was very integral to the plot. I hate it when that kind of switch happens.
Old 04-07-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
As with the first season set, all of Joey Scarbury's covers have been replaced with new songs. All of his ORIGINAL songs remain intact. You can read my review of the set here:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=662842&tab=2
Old 04-07-05, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, I noticed the same thing when I was watching it last night. Pitty that they couldn't get the original songs. Oh well, I still enjoy watching the classic 80's cheese though.
Old 04-07-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang, i fondly remember that tune in that episode, too. sheeoot. this inability to get the original tunes is really ruining my want to complete the season sets.
Old 04-07-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is very disappointing news. I'm really conflicted over these sets -- I love the show, and it looks like the sets are otherwise in great shape. Decent quality, a few extras... it looks like Anchor Bay has done a nice job with them.

But I also refuse to accept this terrible practice of replacing songs to save a few bucks. It changes the show. Always. I'd rather sit out and wait for them to do it right (ala Freaks & Geeks). And, yes, I'd pay extra $$ to get the shows with the original music.

Grrrr... this is a dilemma.
Old 03-01-22, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Greatest American Hero Season 2 - No Eve of Destruction

Hi.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed this weird change of songs, especially in the episode of OPERATION SPOILSPORT.

When I noticed the change, I thought that it was the so-called "Mandela Effect".

Does anybody have any idea why some songs in some episodes, especially the first in season one, which was Sir Elton John's ROCKET MAN and in season two in OPERATION SPOILSPORT, Joey Scarbury's cover of EVE OF DESTRUCTION was changed?
Old 03-02-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Answer: $$$

They would have to pay the music publishing company for the songs' rights. This applies to covers too. Even though a cover is not using the performer's work, they are using the songwriter's work.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Music licensing is always the biggest expense for any home video release. It's why shows like WKRP will never get released in their original broadcast form with all the original music. When you get a Hollywood movie which uses a classic Rock song such as from the Who or the Beatles, know the producers paid several hundred thousand to clear those songs.