Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New "I Love the 80s" & "I Love the 70s" Coming This Year!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got this off of Weird Al's webiste. Forgive me if it's been posted all ready

MORE AL ON VH1!
When VH1 wants idiotic answers to stupid questions, they know who to turn to, don't they? Keep your eyes peeled for Al's featured appearances later this year on "I Love the 70's II," "I Love the 80's 3-D" and "I Love the Holidays." Don't you just Love it?
Awesome!

And I Love the Holidays? Weird.
Old 04-06-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking forward to it. I love 70s and 80s were much more fun than the 90s.
Old 04-06-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do love these shows - feeds my nostalgia urge.
Old 04-07-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news, but what is there left that's worth talking about?
Old 04-07-05, 03:42 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I love the 80s 3-D? WTF? I mean, I can see doing it a second time to get the stuff missed....but a THIRD time? What's left? Oh well,I still love these shows!
Old 04-07-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Before milking the '70s, '80s, and '90s to death, VH1 needs to do a "I Love the '60s".

Think of all of the pop culture from the '60s that they could reference and talk about: the British Invasion, the rise of Surf music, Star Trek, hippies, Gilligan's Island, etc., etc.

Given that a lot of their interviewees were kids back then and probably have some fond memories of those years, plus the fact that everyone at least grew up with reruns and music from that decade, why are they avoiding it? (I don't think it's troubling news like the Kennedy assassination because every decade has troubling news and they just avoid that in the other "I Love the decade" shows. And if it's lack of pop culture material, they could double-up and have each hour deal with two years: 60/61, 62/63, etc., or just have Part 1, 2, 3, 4 with each dealing with a few different subjects from throughout the decade.)
Old 04-07-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show is only as good as who they have commenting. They need to get rid of a few of the 2-bit z-list comics. A few of them make me vamit in my mouth they are so awful.
Old 04-07-05, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
The show is only as good as who they have commenting. They need to get rid of a few of the 2-bit z-list comics. A few of them make me vamit in my mouth they are so awful.
Yeah, I don't get the whole thing with never-was'es making fun of has-beens. "Ooh, look how cool I am. I can make fun of David Hasselhoff dancing like a dork". The schtick is getting old.

I enjoyed the original ones as well, but as others have said - what more can they do when they've already done it twice? VH1 is scraping the bottom of the barrel methinks. They're as bad (or worse) as MTV is anymore.
Old 04-07-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as Hal Sparks and Micahel Ian Black return i'm fine with another 80's trip.

But to be honest, the high point of watching them was during the "90's" when they made fun of thier own early acting gigs.
Old 04-07-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhmac
Before milking the '70s, '80s, and '90s to death, VH1 needs to do a "I Love the '60s".

Think of all of the pop culture from the '60s that they could reference and talk about: the British Invasion, the rise of Surf music, Star Trek, hippies, Gilligan's Island, etc., etc.

Given that a lot of their interviewees were kids back then and probably have some fond memories of those years, plus the fact that everyone at least grew up with reruns and music from that decade, why are they avoiding it? (I don't think it's troubling news like the Kennedy assassination because every decade has troubling news and they just avoid that in the other "I Love the decade" shows. And if it's lack of pop culture material, they could double-up and have each hour deal with two years: 60/61, 62/63, etc., or just have Part 1, 2, 3, 4 with each dealing with a few different subjects from throughout the decade.)
People who would remember the pop culture of the '60s fondly and from first-hand experience would, at the latest, have been born about 1950. I doubt they're VH1's target demographic. Look how long it took them to announce a sequel to I Love the '70s when I Love the '80s just had its second sequel announced, and I Love the '90s had two series within a year.
Old 04-07-05, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I just doubt we will ever see a I Love the 60's. Its demographic just isn't there. The only possible way I can see it is if they combine 2 years in a normal 1 hour episode.