Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranoia 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Paranoia 1.0

This is another one of those straight-to-video (I think) movies that's actually worth a rental. It's Terry Gilliam meets Jean-Pierre Jeunet meets an episode of the Twilight Zone. It reminded me alot of The Machinist.

The ending is kinda handed to us in an easy underhand lob rather than taking the opportunity to really fuck with us, but aside from that - it's quite good. The film does rely heavily on a solid ending though and some may feel it didn't quite follow through, but I enjoyed it. It left me wanting more - and by that I mean I wanted it to be more impactful or have more meaning to it or perhaps even just expand a little bit on what was there. It also left me with some questions that were never answered... that may have been the point.

The acting was really good considering the actors. Jeremy Sisto from Clueless usually sucks, but he was great in this. And usually a movie with Lance Henrickson would be a sign for people to stay away (much in the same way a film starring Eric Roberts would), but I tell you this is one of his best performances. The rest of the cast was fantastic.

I believe it was shot digital, but it had a terriffic overprocessed look to it. The cinematography and lighting were fantastic.

I'd give it a solid 7.5/10 - would've been higher with a few tweaks here and there.

Anyone else seen this?
Old 04-06-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review, Trigger! I own this, but have not viewed it yet. I always like Deborah Kara Unger.
Old 04-06-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sure - I realize I didn't say what it's about... it's best not to know too much. I can tell you without spoiling anything that it's about the people in this delapidated apartment building in what is apparently an alternate future/present. It's very dark and ominous - not just the building, but the people. The main character is a computer programmer who isn't feeling quite right and is having trouble meeting his deadline on his coding project. He starts getting these mysterious packages left inside his locked apartment and he can't seem to make sense of them.

It's not quite a horror film or a scary film or a thriller... it's barely sci-fi... it's just this dark and atmospheric psychological mood piece. It's not slow at all I don't think.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
Old 04-07-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
This is another one of those straight-to-video (I think) movies that's actually worth a rental. It's Terry Gilliam meets Jean-Pierre Jeunet meets an episode of the Twilight Zone. It reminded me alot of The Machinist.

The ending is kinda handed to us in an easy underhand lob rather than taking the opportunity to really fuck with us, but aside from that - it's quite good. The film does rely heavily on a solid ending though and some may feel it didn't quite follow through, but I enjoyed it. It left me wanting more - and by that I mean I wanted it to be more impactful or have more meaning to it or perhaps even just expand a little bit on what was there. It also left me with some questions that were never answered... that may have been the point.

The acting was really good considering the actors. Jeremy Sisto from Clueless usually sucks, but he was great in this. And usually a movie with Lance Henrickson would be a sign for people to stay away (much in the same way a film starring Eric Roberts would), but I tell you this is one of his best performances. The rest of the cast was fantastic.

I believe it was shot digital, but it had a terriffic overprocessed look to it. The cinematography and lighting were fantastic.

I'd give it a solid 7.5/10 - would've been higher with a few tweaks here and there.

Anyone else seen this?
You and I are on the same movie frequency lately... just saw this also and would say basically the same thing.

When Primer comes out on DVD you will have to catch that one also. It is pretty cool...

Madhouse is one that might hold your attention also, it came out last month I think.
Old 04-07-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing this when it was 1.0.1 or something but the adding of Paranoid to the title certainly fits. This movie is atmospheric to the tenth degree and I only wish it would have ended on a better note but it was worth the experience. The actor playing his neighbor, Bruce Payne I think his name is, looked so close to Edward Norton in 25th HourI had to do a double take at first.
Old 04-07-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read the DVD Talk review and it made me think about picking it up. With more positive reviews now, I think I just may have to