Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Hepburn and Hayworth film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been buying a lot of older movies/classics lately and I'd like to get a film starring Rita Hayworth and Katherine Hepburn (I don't mean in the same film).

I'd like to see them in what's considered one of their best films at the height of their careers.

I've looked on the imdb and it seems like there are more clear cut choices for Hepburn with "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story." It seems much more difficult picking a Rita Hayworth movie. I didn't find one of her films in the imdb top 250 and the highest one was, I think, "The Lady From Shanghai" which I'd never heard of and the only one her films that I really know that I've heard of was "Gilda."

Can I get some help from the movie fans here about what I should select or if I missed something? "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" seem like a toss-up and I'd like to get some opinions from dvdtalkers and I'm leaning towards "Gilda" because it's the only film by Hayworth that I've ever heard of and I'd like some opinions on that choice because I seem to know the least about Hayworth's films or whether or not I'm making a good choice.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Hepburn...The Aviator.
Old 04-05-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rita Hayworth wasn't much of an actress and she acted in a lot of crap. The two films you mentioned are probably the best examples of her work. Beyond these, I would also recommend My Gal Sal and The Strawberry Blonde.

You'll undoubtedly get other recommendations for You'll Never Get Rich and You Were Never Lovlier -- two musicals she made with Fred Astaire -- but I don't care for them.

As for Katherine Hepburn, she had one of the great careers, so her list of must-see movies is quite long. Here are my favorites (aside from the pair you named):

Adam's Rib
Holiday
Long Day's Journey into Night
Mary of Scotland
On Golden Pond
Pat and Mike
Summertime
Woman of the Year
Old 04-05-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
More Icon than actress, Rita Hayworth's enduring fame is about being a famous WWII pin-up, not for her work on the silver screen.

When this photo was published in LIFE magazine in 1941, Rita was a relatively unknown actress doing publicity for an upcoming film.

The picture was considered risque at the time --she's wearing a nightgown!
During WWII, millions of copies of the Hayworth photo were sold, only the picture of Betty Grable's ass was a more popular pin-up.

Rita Hayworth was very good in Blood and Sand, released in 1941. Though, she was not the lead in the film, Hayworth is beautiful --and she's in color.

In 1941 and 1942, Hayworth starred in two musicals opposite Fred Astaire --You'll Never Get Rich & You Were Never Lovelier. Both of these are pretty good musicals, and Hayworth shows off her dancing skills. Unfortunately, both films are B/W, so we don't get to see the famous beauty's red hair.

Hayworth finally made a film nearly as great as she was famous in 1946 with Gilda. Gilda is Hayworth's best, her greatest starring role, but still --not in color.

In 1947, Hayworth starred in her-then-husband Orson Welles' The Lady From Shanghai. As stylish as its plot is convoluted, this noir thriller is a must-see for those interested in Hayworth.

Salome (1953) is by no means a good film, but it does offer a viewer the chance to see the famous sex goddess (past her prime but still damn sexy) in glorious color.
Old 04-05-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" seem like a toss-up
If you're interested in getting older classics, but them both. In fact, get this
Old 04-05-05, 07:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Probably the best movie Rita Hayworth was ever in was The Lady From Shanghai, but if you're looking for a movie that's great because of her, look no further than Gilda.

As for Kate, it's largely a matter of opinion. I'd say The Philadelphia Story, but I could think of a half-dozen other movies that are just as easily contenders. I don't think anyone else has mentioned The African Queen, so I will.
Old 04-05-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
More Icon than actress, Rita Hayworth's enduring fame is about being a famous WWII pin-up, not for her work on the silver screen.

When this photo was published in LIFE magazine in 1941, Rita was a relatively unknown actress doing publicity for an upcoming film.

The picture was considered risque at the time --she's wearing a nightgown!

Hayworth finally made a film nearly as great as she was famous in 1946 with Gilda. Gilda is Hayworth's best, her greatest starring role, but still --not in color.

In 1947, Hayworth starred in her-then-husband Orson Welles' The Lady From Shanghai. As stylish as its plot is convoluted, this noir thriller is a must-see for those interested in Hayworth.

I am trying to buy a lot of older, "classic" films, so for now, I really can't afford buying many titles from each actress. I am trying to sample the time period with as many different films, actors, and themes as I can.

I think I want to see a film that shows Hayworth in fine pin-up form, if that's what she was most remembered for. The Lady From Shanghai has her with short blonde hair, so I think I'm going to take Gilda. Good choice?

But I'm still completely stumped on Hepburn, between The Philadelphia Story or Bringing Up Baby. I just saw a review of the latter here and it is loaded with special features, but I had been leaning towards The Philadelphia Story based on the plot, but that dvd has very little in the way of special features. Which one of the two would you lean towards if you had to select one based on story and dvd presentation?

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-05-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another totally enjoyable Rita Hayworth movie is COVER GIRL - she looks terrific throughout this fun musical (1945, color) that co-stars Gene Kelly and features songs by Jerome Kern & Ira Gershwin.
Old 04-06-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're gonna pick just one, I'd say go with this.

I think the DVD of The Philadelphia Story you've looked at might be the red cover single disc version.
This new 2-disc version has pretty much the same special features as the 2-disc Bringing Up Baby.

Let me be honest and say this:
If you're picking and choosing about what to buy, I wonder why you're so set on getting a Rita Hayworth movie.
What better film (or just what film starring a better actress) are you passing up?
But, Gilda is her greatest role, so if you only get one, there it is.
Old 04-06-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what you will do when you get to this Miss Hepburn
Old 04-06-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let me be honest and say this:
If you're picking and choosing about what to buy, I wonder why you're so set on getting a Rita Hayworth movie.
What better film (or just what film starring a better actress) are you passing up?
But, Gilda is her greatest role, so if you only get one, there it is.
Here is the list of the movies we've ordered from 25 years ago and older. We'd only seen Chinatown and Annie Hall before. Not even a single Marilyn Monroe film until a few days ago. So, hopefully, you can see, we are actually trying to be balanced. With actors as well as acresses and genres. Rita Hayworth is just another actress we're curious about. It's not like we're picking films based on hot girls from the past. I think we're going to take your advice and get The Philadelphia Story with all those features. You were right, I'd only seen the other version. This makes the choice much easier. Thanks.

The Apartment, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest SE, Vertigo, North By NorthWest, Some Like it Hot SE, Casablanca SE, Annie Hall, Chinatown, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, To Kill A Mockingbird, Giant, Rear Window, The Graduate SE, Slap Shot SE, Psycho CE, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid SE, All About Eve, The Misfits, Ordinary People, Paper Moon, Marilyn Monroe Diamond Collection, Sunset Boulevard SE, Gilda, The Birds CE, Bonnie and Clyde, West Side Story SE and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-06-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-06-05, 12:58 PM

Hepburn won her third Oscar for The Lion in Winter and definitely deserved it.
Old 04-06-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Apartment, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest SE, Vertigo, North By NorthWest, Some Like it Hot SE, Casablanca SE, Annie Hall, Chinatown, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, To Kill A Mockingbird, Giant, Rear Window, The Graduate SE, Slap Shot SE, Psycho CE, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid SE, All About Eve, The Misfits, Ordinary People, Paper Moon, Marilyn Monroe Diamond Collection, Sunset Boulevard SE, Gilda, The Birds CE, Bonnie and Clyde, West Side Story SE and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
That's quite a list with a lot of truly great movies on it.

I really liked seeing Paper Moon on there. It's a really enjoyable, somewhat forgotten film.

I don't want to turn this into a "recommend old movies to dolphinboy" thread, so I will depart this topic with two parting words: Roman Holiday
Old 04-07-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you've made two good "entry" choices with The Philadelphia Story and Gilda. Be sure to post back with your opinions after you spin em'. Of the two, Gilda is - IMHO - the better film... It's a GREAT noir. (side bit of trivia which you probably already know, Gilda is the film that the prisoners are watching in The Shawshank Redemption)
Old 04-07-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Rita Hayworth was pretty good in the Shawkshank Redemption
Old 04-07-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's quite a list with a lot of truly great movies on it.

I really liked seeing Paper Moon on there. It's a really enjoyable, somewhat forgotten film.

I don't want to turn this into a "recommend old movies to dolphinboy" thread, so I will depart this topic with two parting words: Roman Holiday
Roman Holiday and My Fair Lady are both next up on our list of movies to order when we get through what we have. Gilda has been ordered and we'll probably order The Philadelphia Story early next week, so I'll be able to report back on Gilda much sooner.

I've seen the Shawshank Redemption a thousand times, but did not know that they were watching Gilda. That news makes me more excited to see it.

We've only watched Cuckoo's Nest, The Graduate, Some Like It Hot, and Rear Window so far. Breakfast At Tiffany's is scheduled for tonight. We really wanted a broad range of films, which is one of the reasons you see films like Paper Moon and Slap Shot on the list. We're also going to get The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly when we're ready to get some more movies, right after Roman Holiday and My Fair Lady. The list is growing every day! As is my love for movies.

My wallet is not.

Seeing my FIRST Hitchcock film, my first Marilyn Monroe film, and my first Grace Kelly film (what a woman!) makes it very much worth it, though.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-07-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm assuming that your exposure to classic cinema has been limited up to now so I must say you've selected a fine range of movies to begin with. I must say that for my money 'Bringing Up Baby' is a more entertaining film than 'Philadelphia Story' (it's one of my all time favorite movies in fact but they're both very good films so you should enjoy the one you've selected to order. I'm not too familiar with Rita Hayworth myself but I own both "Gilda" and "The Lady from Shanghai" and enjoy them both immensely, definitely the ones to watch. I was somewhat surprised to see 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington' on your list as an introductory film to classic cinema; it's definitely a great film and I love it to death but I find as I grow more cynical, the innocence of Jimmy Stewart is a bit hard to swallow.

Other films I thought I'd suggest so as to give you a wider range of actors/actresses to enjoy:

East of Eden - James Dean, 'Rebel Without a Cause' is probably more well-known but this film has topped my can't wait to own list for years now, coming in May, yay!

In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Poitier is a consumate actor in my mind and just doesn't always seem to get the props he deserves, excellent film that still holds up today

Charade - Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn - one of the best pairings ever - terrific chemistry, outstanding comedy - this film NEVER gets old and will have you laughing til you 'bust a gut'

Elmer Gantry - Jean Simmons & Burt Lancaster - I'd also suggest that Jean Simmons was surely as beautiful as Audrey Hepburn - Burt Lancaster is a favorite actor of mine - this film may get a bit preachy at times but the message about redemption is timeless

In A Lonely Place - No Bogart on your list is a crime Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are more famous but I love this noir to death. Bogart has always played a rough character with raw emotions just underneath the surface but he's never been as unpredictable and ready to explode as in this movie...also stars Gloria Grahm who I never thought that much of but decided recently that I really rather like - she's also been in a bunch of other noirs.

Rear Window - You mentioned Grace Kelly and Hitchcock so I had to suggest this one - surely as good as the others you've already seen (better than the birds but I think I like Vertigo and NBNW better). Grace Kelly has never looked more gorgeous than in this film and it features one of the greatest on screen kisses

It gets me excited to see someone starting down the road of classic cinema so I just had to share a few of my favorites...btw kudos on Bonnie and Clyde, another of my top favorites

Michael
Old 04-08-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fiver
I'm assuming that your exposure to classic cinema has been limited up to now so I must say you've selected a fine range of movies to begin with. I must say that for my money 'Bringing Up Baby' is a more entertaining film than 'Philadelphia Story' (it's one of my all time favorite movies in fact but they're both very good films so you should enjoy the one you've selected to order. I'm not too familiar with Rita Hayworth myself but I own both "Gilda" and "The Lady from Shanghai" and enjoy them both immensely, definitely the ones to watch. I was somewhat surprised to see 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington' on your list as an introductory film to classic cinema; it's definitely a great film and I love it to death but I find as I grow more cynical, the innocence of Jimmy Stewart is a bit hard to swallow.

Other films I thought I'd suggest so as to give you a wider range of actors/actresses to enjoy:

East of Eden - James Dean, 'Rebel Without a Cause' is probably more well-known but this film has topped my can't wait to own list for years now, coming in May, yay!

Rear Window - You mentioned Grace Kelly and Hitchcock so I had to suggest this one - surely as good as the others you've already seen (better than the birds but I think I like Vertigo and NBNW better). Grace Kelly has never looked more gorgeous than in this film and it features one of the greatest on screen kisses

It gets me excited to see someone starting down the road of classic cinema so I just had to share a few of my favorites...btw kudos on Bonnie and Clyde, another of my top favorites

Michael
Thanks for the recommendations. Both East of Eden and Rebel Without A Cause are on our list, in fact I'll probably pick up the SE's on their release day. My wife and I are extremely ignorant when it comes to older/classic cinema. Actually, we both seem to know a lot about certain films and actors and we REALLY love movies, but we somehow just never saw many old films...not even on cable.

Rebel Without A Cause is the James Dean movie that we've both heard a lot about, of course, even the curse, so that probably would have been the first and maybe only James Dean film we would have gotten. But I was looking at the older films and the special editions always catch my eye, so I picked up Giant, having heard the other two films would be both re-released as special editions. Just from reading reviews, I saw that East of Eden seemed to be considered his best film, and while I had heard of it, I can't say that I had any idea of what the film was even about.

I was really surprised that I'd never seen a Marilyn Monroe movie. I am completely fascinated by her like a lot of people and when we watched Some Like It Hot, that was the first time I'd ever seen her for more than a minute or two in a clip or something. I can't even tell you what it is about her. I think, for example, that Grace Kelly is more beautiful than her, but she had that quality in Some Like It Hot that everyone always spoke of and I couldn't get over how mesmerizing she was. I can't compare her to anyone from that time or from the movies today.

Rear Window was the most recent film we watched together. I'm not good at reviewing movies, but what I really found amazing was how Hitchcock just tells the story and you actually think, at times, that it's a little slow, and minute by minute you become more involved with the film. The tension slowly builds, like no movies from today I can think of, to a peak where I don't think my wife and I were even breathing for the 5 minutes or so when everything seemed to happen at once. It was an amazing experience and we like to talk about what it must have been like for people our age or younger to have gone to these movies when they came out. We really like to get into the time period and the history.

It's been a lot of fun. But now you have me questioning my choice of The Philadelphia Story over Bringing Up Baby. I don't think we can get them both right away, but now I might have to get out the credit card. I've been hoping to get a consensus here on which film is better and there doesn't seem to be one.
Old 04-08-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Well I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing either of those two hepburn films...i saw 'bringing up baby' when I was around 10 or 12 and loved it then...I haven't had the chance to see it since then (I'm 30 now) but loved it when I saw it on dvd just as much as I remembered...I saw Philadelphia Story much later and, while it also has a stellar cast, didn't like it AS MUCH as the other; not to say you won't have a different opinion since they're both very good films

I admit Marilyn Monroe has never done anything for me..but I've only seen a couple of her films...I keep wanting to see "The Misfits" as that seems to be the movie that exhibits her dramatic talents best from what I've heard...just haven't made myself sit down and watch it.

I've seen 'East of Eden' and 'Rebel Without A Cause' many times but 'Giant' only once through all the way (bits and pieces elsewhere). It's my least favorite James Dean film. It's a tough one to watch over and over because it is so very long and epic...but I really want to watch it again so I can judge it properly against the other two. Rebel is very good and the three main teenage actors are all very good but the topic might seem a bit dated today (or maybe not, I don't have kids East of Eden I like better for the overall story although I've always felt Dean was a bit overly stiff in this movie (probably because it was his first) but he still has plenty of great dramatic moments to work with This film would easily be in my personal top 10 so I'd love to turn someone else onto it hehe.

If you ever have a question about where to go next in the world of classic film, this board will have more than enough people willing to guide so don't hesitate to ask for advice...

Michael
Old 04-08-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Hepburn: The Philidelphia Story (was tempted to say Brining Up Baby only because I love that film more but it is more for Grant. The role of Lords was made for her, it seems, and she is not only funny but beautiful and sad and mysterious all at the same time)

Hayworth: Gilda (that was an easy choice)

BONUS:

Audrey Hepburn: Breakfast at Tiffany's
Old 04-08-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by fiver

In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Poitier is a consumate actor in my mind and just doesn't always seem to get the props he deserves, excellent film that still holds up today

Charade - Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn - one of the best pairings ever - terrific chemistry, outstanding comedy - this film NEVER gets old and will have you laughing til you 'bust a gut'

Elmer Gantry - Jean Simmons & Burt Lancaster - I'd also suggest that Jean Simmons was surely as beautiful as Audrey Hepburn - Burt Lancaster is a favorite actor of mine - this film may get a bit preachy at times but the message about redemption is timeless

In A Lonely Place - No Bogart on your list is a crime Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are more famous but I love this noir to death. Bogart has always played a rough character with raw emotions just underneath the surface but he's never been as unpredictable and ready to explode as in this movie...also stars Gloria Grahm who I never thought that much of but decided recently that I really rather like - she's also been in a bunch of other noirs.

Michael
I agree with you. Baby is more watchable and certainly a more funfilled cenimatic romp. In fact, it can be a bit exhausting sometimes with how fast paced the film is. I'll stick to my guns, however, and say, performance wise, Hepburn was better in the Philidelphia Story.

(You know, now that I think about it, she was amazing in On Golden Pond as well...the documentary of her on the Philidelphia Story DVD is really amazing)
Old 04-08-05, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As if Orson Welles didn't have enough problems with producers and critics in Hollywood, he was actually blamed in some circles for destroying the image of the American woman through the use of his glamorous wife in Lady From Shangai. But it remains one of the most important films Rita Hayworth has ever starred in and a great film noir classic. And she does at least appear to have the necessary acting chops in this one. But, whatever the film, Rita was always earhty and believable.

IMHO, her greatest accomplishements as an actress were:
Separate Tables (1958)
Pal Joey (1957)
Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)