Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

FEVER PITCH review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 09:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One to start with...

JoBlo - 4/10

"I saw this movie about two hours ago and I can barely remember a single thing from it—save for one semi-humorous scene featuring Fallon watching a Bill Buckner videotape at home. That’s it, man…one joke in 100 minutes of so-called comedy."

REVIEW
Old 04-05-05, 10:12 AM

I thought it was entertaining, but then I am a red sox fan so it may not be as enjoyable for a non red sox fans. It is not a great movie but it entertained me so I would recommend it to others. it may have more to do with reliving the alcs and world series from last year.
Old 04-05-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was at one of the games where they filmed for the movie (a Saturday afternoon loss to the Texas Rangers) sitting along the left foul-line just a few sections over from Fallon/Barrymore... and I'm not certain I'll be catching this flick!

Has it received any good reviews?
Old 04-05-05, 11:16 AM
Zee

Saw the sneak last Friday...I found Jimmy Fallon to be surprisingly charming. I hated him on Saturday Night Live but thought that he created a realistic, likeable character in Fever Pitch. As for the rest of the movie, it had a few awkward moments (some of the dialogue was just completely unnatural), but the entire theater (all Red Sox fans) had a great time. People were shrieking with laughter on some occasions. Yes, it may be a cliche romantic comedy, and if you hate the Red Sox, it probably won't be interesting to you at all, but I'd recommend it as a genuinely good time. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-05-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy

Has it received any good reviews?
Siskel and Roeper gave it 2 pretty big thumbs up...They are about the only 2 critics I ever hear, and thats just because they are more popular. I enjoyed it, was a good light romantic comedy, and Fallon plays the part well and found him to be pretty funny and I usually dont. Barrymore is the same as she always is, so nothing too special there. I didnt even realize it was a Farelley (sp?) Brother's movie until the credits, so its not their typical style in my opinion. I am a pretty big Sox fan, and although I dont think you have to be a Sox fan to find it funny or enjoy it, I think a baseball fan in general will find it funnier than a non-fan. I watched it at a sneak preview in NYC on Friday night, and it was pretty empty, although it was starting the same time as SinCity, and I think everyone in the theatre were pretty much Sox fans.
Old 04-05-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.boycott-fever-pitch.com/
Old 04-05-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well that answers my question. I was going to start a thread asking Sox fans what they thought about being represented on the silver screen by Fallon..

however, if the Sox fans want to comment about this, please feel free.

btw...I ask this not as a Sox hater, but a Fallon hater.
Old 04-05-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

His shirt doesn't say i love the yankees...and as we all know to well, some Red Sox fans live in NY city. Love for a town and love for a team are different things.

on a side note....Damn Red Sox....
Old 04-05-05, 04:35 PM
Zee

Originally Posted by Rogue588
well that answers my question. I was going to start a thread asking Sox fans what they thought about being represented on the silver screen by Fallon..
Sox fans are missing out if they don't see this movie solely because of Fallon. As I said before, I really liked him in the part and thought he was a believable Sox fan. It never once crossed my mind that he was raised in New York or that he may (or may not) be a big Yankees buff. I mean, who would you want to see, Ben Affleck? Come on. Sox fans think he's a tool too. Jimmy Fallon is an actor...he was paid to act like a Sox fan, and he pulled it off.

Also, it helps that the people who play his friends are well cast (although I'm a little biased, the man who plays Artie is one of my closest friends). Most of them are even real New Englanders. Barrymore is the only weak link.

Last edited by Zee; 04-05-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is amazing that they made this movie and then the Red Sox win the World Series, how lucky can the movie makers get - what great advertisment for the movie.
Old 04-05-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Looks terrible.
Old 04-05-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I think it is amazing that they made this movie and then the Red Sox win the World Series, how lucky can the movie makers get - what great advertisment for the movie.
especially since they re-filmed the ending to go with the series...though i wish the movie ended like i wish the season would have ended last year...with the yankees handing them their ass
Old 04-05-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am still going to see the movie and I am actually looking forward to it. How often can you see David Ortiz hit a HR in a movie.

I also imagine that somewhere out there is a couple where the girl loves Jimmy Fallon and romantic comedies and the guy is a die hard Yankee fan. My hope is that she bitches and moans and makes the Yankee fan see this movie over and over again.
Old 04-05-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588

however, if the Sox fans want to comment about this, please feel free.

btw...I ask this not as a Sox hater, but a Fallon hater.

It was disgusting to see Fallon act like he was the biggest Red Sox fan in the universe. I never liked Fallon and he seemed like such a phony. But I guess it was him or Ben Affleck (or Stephen King)

I'm still going to see it, though. I never understood fellow Sox fan's reactions towards the movie stars for being on the field after the Sox won. It didnt really bother me.
Old 04-05-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep hearing peolple were suprised by Fallon... one of his big re-occuring sketches on SNL was a Sox-nut... so the role isn't exactly a stretch even though the characters are different (The SNL bit was pretty eccentric).
Old 04-05-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
(The SNL bit was pretty eccentric).
It was?
Old 04-05-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
and as we all know to well, some Red Sox fans live in NY city. Love for a town and love for a team are different things.
Exactly...And there are quite a bit of Redsox fans in NY. Admittedly most of them probably werent born and raised here. I dont like Fallon at all, but he pulls this role off pretty well. It was Barrymore who was the down side in this movie. And like Chris said, its always nice to watch Big Papi knock those HRs around.

Originally Posted by Cameron
on a side note....Go Red Sox!!!!
Fixed !!!
Old 04-05-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
It was?
Well... I haven't even been to Boston, what do i know. It's at least more eccentric than his character in Fever Pitch looks to be.
Old 04-06-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that a Nick Hornby book about soccer is now a Farrely Brothers movie about baseball.
Old 04-06-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A review of the movie in today's Boston Globe said "Barrymore, meanwhile, might be the funniest woman in the movies".

Wow, I wonder how much the production company paid for that...

However, it has this paragraph that sums up how I feel about it: "Directed by New Englanders Peter and Bobby Farrelly, ''Fever Pitch" arrives with the stink of Soxploitation. The sight, last year, of Fallon and Barrymore hopping onto the field and making out at Busch Stadium after the team won the World Series smacked of Hollywood opportunism at its most nauseating."

I love Nick Hornby, but I won't be bothering to see this...

-jason
Old 04-06-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie looks great to me. I'm a Sox fan. I will be catching this film this weekend.
Old 04-06-05, 01:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
A review of the movie in today's Boston Globe said "Barrymore, meanwhile, might be the funniest woman in the movies".

Wow, I wonder how much the production company paid for that...

Yeowch!

Well, count me in the camp that enjoys Barrymore. The PITCH role is easy for her, but she's awfully good in this type of production.
Old 04-06-05, 02:02 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I may see it, but I'll find it hard to watch as I liked the Original Film better and the book that went with it.
Old 04-06-05, 02:22 PM
Zee

The Entertainment Weekly review is an almost-rave.
Old 04-06-05, 04:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Zee
The Entertainment Weekly review is an almost-rave.
They also had Drew, Jimmy and Johnny Damon on the Cover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.