DVD Talk
Criterion to introduce cult label and tons of release dates. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Criterion to introduce cult label and tons of release dates.

Cameron
04-05-05, 03:00 AM
Barry Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions at the Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/barriemaxwell/maxwell040405.html) Just posted this news with a ton of release dates. it's a good read, with a little new info.

There are rumours that Criterion may introduce a new cult label later this year that will present titles such as The Atomic Submarine (1959, with Arthur Franz), Corridors of Blood (1963, with Boris Karloff), and The Haunted Strangler (1959, with Boris Karloff).

I would love to see them do the Karloff stuff.

illennium
04-05-05, 03:04 AM
Hopefully this does not mean that they will reduce their output of classic films.

Cameron
05-14-05, 09:29 PM
Hopefully this does not mean that they will reduce their output of classic films.

i think it will be a better venue to release horror films and niche market stuff like blue underground

buckee1
05-14-05, 09:35 PM
I too would like to see Criterion tackle Karloff's horror catalog.

ben12
05-14-05, 10:05 PM
I want to see a Criterion release of Manos: the Hands of Fate

TomOpus
05-15-05, 12:17 AM
Interesting news! I wonder if each release will be given the standard "Criterion touch".

Along with Karloff, I've love to see The Atomic Submarine.

Mondo Kane
05-15-05, 12:42 AM
But the real question is, will they cost as much as Criterions?

Atreus
05-15-05, 07:27 AM

Well their Merchant-Ivory collection seems to be priced the same as the lower to mid-range Criterions so the Cult selections will probably be the same.

chente
05-15-05, 01:07 PM
Maybe they'll do Robinson Crusoe on Mars again.

chileorgullo
05-15-05, 05:19 PM
karloff's scarface 1932?

post 300 w00t

The Bus
05-16-05, 08:44 AM
Maybe they'll be the ones to finally do Detective School Dropouts (http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=1610).

natevines
05-16-05, 09:06 AM
How come I feel like a I read this thread a really long time ago?

Anyhow, this is good news. There are so many cult DVDs that need re-issues, or even need releases to begin with. I hope this label clears up the confusion with public domain titles, when one has no idea which of the myriad releases to buy.

shill66
05-17-05, 06:57 PM
The existing Image DVDs of these have decent picture quality, at least. But I'd welcome a new rerelease of any of these.

The Bus
05-17-05, 06:58 PM
How come I feel like a I read this thread a really long time ago?

Anyhow, this is good news. There are so many cult DVDs that need re-issues, or even need releases to begin with. I hope this label clears up the confusion with public domain titles, when one has no idea which of the myriad releases to buy.

Well, some people who were part of Criterion/Janus started a small label. Last I heard they had only two films and neither was of particular interest to me. This was at least two years ago.

unclehulot
05-17-05, 10:41 PM
Maybe they'll do Robinson Crusoe on Mars again.

Their license to this was a very limited time thing, but one can always hope.....I'll just play my LD and stubbornly refuse to make a buck on Ebay.

msbailey
05-18-05, 10:03 AM
Well, some people who were part of Criterion/Janus started a small label. Last I heard they had only two films and neither was of particular interest to me. This was at least two years ago.
Are you talking about Plexifilm (http://www.plexifilm.com/)?

Zodiac_Speaking
05-18-05, 07:18 PM
I always thought Criterion did a decent job releasing horror/scifi films periodically. While that is Blue Underground's market right now, my uncle will be pleased to hear Criterion releasing cult films-he's always wanted them to do more.

I don't know much about this, but why hasn't Criterion or someone release Night of the Hunter. It supposedly a classic and a great serial killer film.

chente
05-18-05, 07:46 PM
I always thought Criterion did a decent job releasing horror/scifi films periodically. While that is Blue Underground's market right now, my uncle will be pleased to hear Criterion releasing cult films-he's always wanted them to do more.

I don't know much about this, but why hasn't Criterion or someone release Night of the Hunter. It supposedly a classic and a great serial killer film.

Yeah, i'm very fond of my Criterion Sisters DVD, it's hilarious.

Night of the Hunter is already out (MGM)

Cameron
05-18-05, 08:04 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000035P5R.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

falls under film noir....not exactly a slasher flick

doofynz
05-18-05, 11:42 PM
It would be cool if some one like the new criterion cult label or blue undeground whould do a better release of eating raoul on dvd.

that film is a cult classic and I am sure plenty of paul friends whould love to help see this film get a good release

Fincher Fan
05-19-05, 12:28 AM
Cool! I'm interested in seeing what they will be coming out with.

rw2516
05-19-05, 08:27 AM
Since Criterion and Image are the same company, and the three possible titles(Haunted Strangler, Corridors of Blood, Atomic Submarine) were previously released by Image, I wonder if this line will consist primarily of upgraded versions of Image titles.

Giles
05-19-05, 10:26 AM
Since Criterion and Image are the same company, and the three possible titles(Haunted Strangler, Corridors of Blood, Atomic Submarine) were previously released by Image, I wonder if this line will consist primarily of upgraded versions of Image titles.

hmmm... Criterion edition of Lucio Fulci's Cat in the Brain

jbnugent
05-19-05, 02:12 PM
"...but why hasn't Criterion or someone [else] release[d] Night of the Hunter."

Criterion did release "The Night of the Hunter"... on laserdisc.

Cornelius1047
05-19-05, 03:07 PM
I want to see a Criterion release of Manos: the Hands of Fate

Why?

K

Cameron
05-19-05, 10:55 PM

No rights to it...MgM hasn't been selling....Criterion also put out some other MgM fare in the laserdisc days...raging bull and the princess bride come to mind.

chente
05-20-05, 02:02 PM

I watched this last night. What a weird movie. The acting is generally over the top and not believable but there were some very interesting visuals in it. I particularly like the scene where the two kids are floating down the river in a boat with the little girl singing and you see all the animals in the foreground and the twinkling stars above. Must have been one hell of a big stage to film this on.

Cameron
05-20-05, 07:36 PM
i should change the title of this thread to

Criterion to introduce cult label and tons of release dates. and a discussion about MgM's Night of the Hunter....love the movie, i just love the punch in the prison scene...you know the one i mean

thing-fish24
04-06-06, 11:10 PM
I would like to see Criterion issue some of Ralph Bakshi's movies - it's always great to have him do an audio commentary or interview. :)

fliggil
04-06-06, 11:24 PM
For those of you that have seen the April Newsletter from Criterion, they provided a pretty strong hint that the new line will be coming soon

http://www.criterionco.com/nl406/news_4-06.html

More discussion going on at criterionforum.org

dvd_luver
04-06-06, 11:37 PM
I hope they can buy the rights out from New Line and release David Cronenberg's Crash onto DVD. The Laserdisc is excellent, it needs to be upgraded and fast.

Cinemaddiction
04-07-06, 01:31 AM
I'd kill for a Criterion/Janus helmed "This Island Earth". There's a huge market for it.

Peep
04-07-06, 02:23 AM
I want "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!"

JesseCuster
04-07-06, 05:22 AM
NIGHT OF THE COMET

FROM BEYOND

Sweet Tapdancing Christ...Criterion...someone...please...release these freaking films!!!!

Tenacious D
04-07-06, 08:01 AM
NIGHT OF THE COMET

FROM BEYOND

Sweet Tapdancing Christ...Criterion...someone...please...release these freaking films!!!!

I'd give my left nut for both of those!:lol:

Jaymole
04-07-06, 08:33 AM
I'd give my left nut for both of those!

And I would give my right nut!

Hey Criterion, you already have one pair of nuts waiting for you if you release these!

Cinemaddiction
04-07-06, 10:50 AM
Speaking of Criterion laserdiscs, I really wish they'd buy (back) the rights to "Once Were Warriors". One of my favorite movies, and obviously they saw it to be a worthy film.

naitram
04-08-06, 01:26 AM

The only question for me is will they have spine numbers? ;)

KatjaKassin
04-08-06, 04:36 PM
NIGHT OF THE COMET

FROM BEYOND

From Beyond is in the process of being restored right now. It's coming out, with extra minutes, it's just going to take a little time.

darkside
04-08-06, 07:31 PM
I'd kill for a Criterion/Janus helmed "This Island Earth". There's a huge market for it.

If they were smart they would work out a deal with Universal to release it and the MST3K movie as a two disc set.

DGibFen
04-08-06, 09:01 PM
If they were smart they would work out a deal with Universal to release it and the MST3K movie as a two disc set.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if they did that.

steelpotato
04-08-06, 09:32 PM
Speaking of Criterion laserdiscs, I really wish they'd buy (back) the rights to "Once Were Warriors". One of my favorite movies, and obviously they saw it to be a worthy film.

The region 4 special edition is awesome. Great transfer, dts, Lee Tamahori commentary, making of and more.
http://dvd.cd-wow.co.uk/cheap/dvd-dvd-region-4-once-were-warriors-collector-s-edition.php?PHPSESSID=c57b273423a0627f4dbfa7d5213beefe

steelpotato
04-08-06, 09:33 PM
and its not 1.33; it is widescreen

Giles
04-12-06, 02:35 PM
No rights to it...MgM hasn't been selling....Criterion also put out some other MgM fare in the laserdisc days...raging bull and the princess bride come to mind.

Since Sony is being ass-holish about not releasing 'The Witchfinder General' maybe Criterion and the restoration production team should talk the negotiating talks.

Drexl
04-12-06, 02:46 PM
The only question for me is will they have spine numbers? ;)

Maybe they could do negative numbers. :)

gryffinmaster
04-12-06, 02:48 PM
Maybe they could do negative numbers. :)
:lol: Loving that idea. :up:

FILMCZY
04-12-06, 06:33 PM
The director's cut of FROM BEYOND will premiere on the MOSTERS HD channel the first week of June 2006 before its dvd release from Sony/MGM.

Giles
04-12-06, 09:02 PM
The director's cut of FROM BEYOND will premiere on the MOSTERS HD channel the first week of June 2006 before its dvd release from Sony/MGM.

yeah I already posted that news in the From Beyond thread.

ruggero
05-12-06, 02:28 PM
Why?

K

because hal warren's oft-misunderstood gem of feces deserves to be experienced by all who have an interest in filmmaking...
especially if you want to know what not to do!
not to mention its about time we get a complete print on dvd (you hear that, alpha? you payin' attention, quenty?).
furthermore, a little background info on the storied history of this film could perhaps be of service to those who've simply written it off as crap.

and while they're at it, maybe we can get a reissue of "salo" for r1, hopefully utilising the gaumont transfer (a revelation, to be true!).

yes. salo and manos. wanna come over for dinner at my place sometime?? hahahhahaha~!

JackBurton
08-22-06, 03:43 PM
Any news on this rumor?

Giles
10-04-06, 01:58 PM
there's an indication that one of the films in this collection might be Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell the print that TCM aired morning had the Janus logo before the feature.

FrancisRizzo3
11-23-06, 07:23 AM
Confirmation:

http://www.criterionco.com/blog/2006_11_01_archive.html#116415251608534341

We wanted a mark that could easily integrate with our upcoming spring launch of the Eclipse line.

Kerborus
11-23-06, 11:01 AM
If I'm going to try out this new line, I hope that these 'cult' movies are reasonably priced (and this from the owner of a complete Criterion collection who shells out high prices every month). I was sorely disappointed in Equinox and discovered that B sci-fi horror movies did not warrant over a $15 price tag.

As always, I'm open to new movies and genres but within financial reason...

indy81
11-23-06, 11:30 AM
An interview in Cahiers du Cinema with Criterion's Fumiko Takagi indicates that the Eclipse line won't be cult titles as much as a replacement for HVE releases, i.e. no-frills, cheaper titles.

renaldow
11-23-06, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it supposedly won't be just cult titles, but titles where they have no extras, or very little extras, that they want to release on DVD. From what I've heard, they will be at a cheaper rate then standard Criterion titles.

BuddhaWake
11-24-06, 02:24 PM
so basically they are picking up where HVE left off before the murge with Image.