Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coldplay - X&Y - June 7, 2005

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coldplay's new lp 'X&Y' will be released June 7 in the U.S. It was produced by Danton Supple, Ken Nelson & Coldplay. The first single, "Speed of Sound", will be released May 23rd.

Tracklisting:

01 Square One
02 What If
03 White Shadows
04 Fix You
05 Talk
06 X&Y
07 Speed of Sound
08 A Message
09 Low
10 The Hardest Part
11 Swallowed in the Sea
12 Twisted Logic

I'll be seeing these guys at Coachella.

Last edited by automator; 04-19-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-04-05, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I'm going to Coachella with a friend from Indio. Awesome!! Hope to see you there!
Old 04-04-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant wait, I thoroughly enjoyed their first two
Old 04-04-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Hey, I'm going to Coachella with a friend from Indio. Awesome!! Hope to see you there!
I would love to meet you Dalvin. We should get together and have a beer.
Old 04-04-05, 02:38 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Talk is a great track, and sounds very very very like U2, the guitar work sounds like the edge
Old 04-04-05, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Talk is a great track, and sounds very very very like U2, the guitar work sounds like the edge
Where'd you hear it?

Edit: Nevermind, wasn't too hard. That guitar is great, overall songs good too.

Last edited by The Ferret; 04-04-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok then ill ask again, whered you hear that song or any other one?
Old 04-04-05, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by gmal2003
ok then ill ask again, whered you hear that song or any other one?
limewire
Old 04-04-05, 11:29 PM

is it just the one song or the whole album that got leaked?

Thanks
Old 04-05-05, 12:22 AM

I'll be at Coachella too!

Also I just listened to Talk, and I must say it is a great feeling to hear some new Coldplay.
Old 04-05-05, 01:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
That's the only thing leaked so far, from what I've heard it almost did not make it onto the album
Old 04-05-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Their live performance with 6 of those songs is on the net, but the sound quality only makes it worth a listen once. Talk is available and thankfully it was included on the album.

These guys are the real deal, and I seriously doubt that any of us will be disappointed by the third album.

Cheers
Old 04-05-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Originally Posted by Some Voices
I'll be at Coachella too!

Also I just listened to Talk, and I must say it is a great feeling to hear some new Coldplay.
DVDTalk Meet - Coachella 2005!!!
Old 04-05-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just heard a clip of "Talk" .I can't take credit for noticing this but someone else pointed out how the rift of that song is taken straight from Kraftwerk's "Computer Love". It really doesnt matter to me either way as I liked the song but I hope they at least credit to them as a sample instead of pulling what Sum41 did to them.
Old 04-19-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coldplay Album Is High Stakes Gamble for EMI

LONDON (Reuters) - British group Coldplay, whose much delayed album is finally hitting the airwaves, could be the band that makes or breaks music giant EMI.

"This is the high stakes album of the year for EMI," said Numis Securities analyst Paul Richards of the world's third largest music group.

EMI Group shares fell 16 percent in February after it blamed delays in releasing key albums for lower than expected profits.

So a great deal is riding on the success of "X & Y," the follow-up to Coldplay's breakthrough second album "Rush of Blood to the Head" which sold more than 10 million copies.

"All eyes will be on the performance of this new album," Richards said. "They are certainly flavor of the month."

"Speed of Sound," the first single from the new album, was played on BBC Radio Monday, Coldplay are staging an MTV live invite-only gig in London Tuesday, and yet the album is still not being released until June 6.

Coldplay's perfectionist lead singer Chris Martin, who is married to Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow, admits the pressure of expectation is getting to him.

Fears of the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" -- critics cutting them down after acclaiming the last album -- abound.

"When you're playing new songs, you tread a fine line between arrogance and, well, fear. It's a line we tread quite badly," he confessed at a U.S. charity concert in Los Angeles last month.

Martin called the making of Coldplay's third album "one of the most difficult experiences of my life."

"Lighten Up" is the message from the music industry to Coldplay, which scrapped many of the songs for the new album last year and went back to the studio, much to the chagrin of record executives.

"Sometimes they put too much pressure on themselves to make the greatest album ever," said Gennaro Castaldo, spokesman for the 200 HMV retail stores across Britain and Ireland.

"All the elements are in place for a successful long-term career. They have real staying power and have not only got a big and loyal following in Britain but have also been able to connect in America and the rest of the world," he told Reuters.

He too highlighted how big the stakes were -- and not just for the group.

"With share prices so sensitive and responsive to individual acts, all analysts become music experts. It seems the prospects of a whole company are riding on this album," Castaldo said.

Coldplay may never match the popularity of the Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but pop critics believe they are up there as one of the world's top rock groups.

"Coldplay follow a tradition of great British bands," said Julian Marshall, news editor of New Musical Express.

"I have heard the full record. It is easily as strong as their last album. I think they are now up there with U2."
Old 04-19-05, 08:46 PM

So far, Speed of Sound and Talk are great, but... I don't love them like I did The Scientist and Yellow amongst others.
Old 04-19-05, 10:48 PM
Banned

Speed of Sound isn't that great, sounds like a typical Coldplay single. Clocks mixed with In My Place.
Their last album was boring save for a few songs. Hopefully the new one won't have complete utter shit like Green Eyes, A Whisper or In My Place.
Old 04-19-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I seriously don't understand when Coldplay got so big. Or how. Almost everyone I know likes them, to some degree. I don't think either Parachutes or A Rush Of Blood To The Head work completely. But they have songs on each album ("Don't Panic", "Yellow" and "Trouble" off Parachutes and "The Scientist", "In My Place", "Clocks", "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" off of A Rush Of Blood To The Head) that I absolutely love. They're a great singles band, I think. There are other songs on those albums I like, but not nearly as much as their singles. I do hope the new album ends up being good all the way through. They just don't live up to the hype and praise they get, IMO. They'll have one helluva greatest hits compilation though.

K
Old 04-19-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've always just resigned myself to the idea that they're neither great nor terrible. and by that, i mean they're not really, honestly offensive to anyone's ear. they're something that every music fan should be able to enjoy in some way or another.

except their live show was boring as hell.
Old 04-20-05, 12:41 AM

Well, I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I loved both of their albums in their entirety, and thought they were excellent live. I'll be seeing them in just over a week!
Old 04-20-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i've always just resigned myself to the idea that they're neither great nor terrible. and by that, i mean they're not really, honestly offensive to anyone's ear. they're something that every music fan should be able to enjoy in some way or another.

except their live show was boring as hell.
Not true. My co-worker hates Coldplay with a passion. Says the lead singer whines instead of sings. She finds nothing redeemable about them whatsoever.
Old 04-20-05, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Speed of Sound isn't that great, sounds like a typical Coldplay single. Clocks mixed with In My Place.
Exactly what I thought when I heard it today for the first time. A bit disappointing really. That riff is way too similar to Clocks.
Old 04-20-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was talking about Coldplay recently to a good friend. I cannot put my finger on why I like them so much. They are by far one of my favorite bands, but I hesitate to call them "The Best Band Ever" or "One of the Best Bands Ever" --- but damn it, they are so infuriatingly good. It has a lot to do with Chris Martin's voice, which some people really hate.

However, I am bit miffed at them being called a "singles" band. One of the reasons that I like them as much as I do is that they barely have three bad songs in their entire released catalogue (which stands around 50 songs or so).

Anyway, here are some B-sides which I recommend:
Such a Rush
Only Superstition
I Bloom Blaum
See You Soon
For You

The last three are extremely low key, so if you are looking for Politik don't get those.
Old 04-20-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Speed of Sound is okay, but I'm sure it will grow on me like every other song they have written does. I like them more and more as time goes on...

Now I just need to see them live, since I was out of the country last time they played in St. Louis - which I heard was a great show from fans and non-fans alike.
Old 04-20-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the new single a lot. It does immediatlely bring to mind "Clocks", but the chorus is great - I love the double beat. We'll be hearing A LOT of this song over the summer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.