Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

DOOM 3 (XBOX) Whose getting it tomorrow???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 08:13 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know...I know...some hate it...some love it....too dark...too monotonous...sucky multiplayer. I have no clue, I don't have it on PC. The reviews of the XBOX versions have been great so far. I am going to take the plunge and get it. Who else is getting it???

wlj
Old 04-04-05, 08:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would remind you that the initial reviews on the PC version were very posative also. Then the crack ran out. Try a rental first?
Old 04-04-05, 08:16 AM
wlj

LOL "Then the crack ran out..."

wlj
Old 04-04-05, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I don't like how some of the first 5 glowing reviews are already 1 and a half months old, and the game isn't out yet. I don't trust 'em. Either way, I wasn't going to get this game anyway, until it hits ~$20.
Old 04-04-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, it comes out Tuesday? I thought it was today....oh well.
Old 04-04-05, 09:00 AM
wlj

here's IGN's review...not too shabby

10 Presentation
One of the best examples of sound, audio, and atmosphere in any Xbox game.

10 Graphics
Clean, beautiful, detailed characters, backgrounds, all backed up by exquisite lighting, special effects and animation.

9.5 Sound
Half of this game is based purely on the distinct layers of impactful sound effects, tones, great voice acting, and the disturbing evil of whispers, laughter, and atmospheric music.

8.5 Gameplay
Simple, straightforward, and predictable, yet, made great by superb weaponry, great interfaces, and smooth loveable controls.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
The Xbox multiplayer is better than the PC, thanks to the awesome two-player online co-op mode. The rest of the multiplayer stuff is standard likeable stuff, it's just not great.

9.3 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

Hey Longfellow....I am just assuming it is out tomorrow...since most games come out on Tuesday...I will call my local game store and find out...It would be awesome if it comes out today. Thanks

wlj
Old 04-04-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine has the PC version. His review was that it's just the original Doom with killer graphics, same basic "story", etc. That doesn't get me very excited.
Old 04-04-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was looking forward to this release until I came across a lot of feedback all complaining about the same things. This of course was in regards to the PC version. Since this game is a FPS and available on both platforms, I would get it for the PC anyway.

The reason I even bothered to read this thread is to ask if you guys could post a review. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about the game on the Xbox.
Old 04-04-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
here's IGN's review...not too shabby

10 Presentation
One of the best examples of sound, audio, and atmosphere in any Xbox game.

10 Graphics
Clean, beautiful, detailed characters, backgrounds, all backed up by exquisite lighting, special effects and animation.

9.5 Sound
Half of this game is based purely on the distinct layers of impactful sound effects, tones, great voice acting, and the disturbing evil of whispers, laughter, and atmospheric music.

8.5 Gameplay
Simple, straightforward, and predictable, yet, made great by superb weaponry, great interfaces, and smooth loveable controls.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
The Xbox multiplayer is better than the PC, thanks to the awesome two-player online co-op mode. The rest of the multiplayer stuff is standard likeable stuff, it's just not great.

9.3 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

Hey Longfellow....I am just assuming it is out tomorrow...since most games come out on Tuesday...I will call my local game store and find out...It would be awesome if it comes out today. Thanks

wlj

WOW!

Any deals on the Collector's Edition?

Got to get it now and got to get Spliner Cell CT as well!
Old 04-04-05, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Centurion
I was looking forward to this release until I came across a lot of feedback all complaining about the same things. This of course was in regards to the PC version. Since this game is a FPS and available on both platforms, I would get it for the PC anyway.
One major difference between the Xbox and PC versions is that the Xbox has Co-op play through Xbox Live and system link. I'm not sure how well it's executed, but a feature like that might mean the difference between a rental and a purchase for some people.

Personally, I think I'll wait a bit on this one, I'm still caught up in God of War for PS2.
Old 04-04-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I had it pre-ordered at GameRush...had credit, got the CE for trade 2, get a pre-order for $30. So, it was a good deal....and if I hate it, I trade it back and get the same as what I paid
Old 04-04-05, 10:16 AM

Picked it up at my local Gamerush midnight Doom 3 release party last night (I was one out of a whopping 4 people there).

Spent a few hours playing System-Link co-op with my roomate, which is a lot of fun. We also briefly tried playing Doom1, which is also amazingly fun, although for the co-op mode you have to play split screen.

I never played it for the PC, so I'm happy with this purchase.
Old 04-04-05, 10:19 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by DealMan
Picked it up at my local Gamerush midnight Doom 3 release party last night (I was one out of a whopping 4 people there).

Spent a few hours playing System-Link co-op with my roomate, which is a lot of fun. We also briefly tried playing Doom1, which is also amazingly fun, although for the co-op mode you have to play split screen.

I never played it for the PC, so I'm happy with this purchase.

sweet.....so it should actually be in stores today....I just thought it would ship to stores today. Thanks.

wlj
Old 04-04-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had it pre-ordered at GameRush, but put the credit towards PSP. I'll be picking it up at $20, along with Unreal and Jade Empire.

I just can't justify spending $50 on most games now that they all seem to drop in price within a few months.
Old 04-04-05, 12:05 PM
wlj

just picked the game up on my lunch hour at the local Sam Goody. I got the Collector's edition for 59.99. Very Very Slick packaging....has the same metal case as the Halo 2 LE. Cool artwork on the metal tin. Can't wait to get home to play it.

wlj
Old 04-04-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's available at Best Buy already as well. I saw it at lunch today.
Old 04-04-05, 01:23 PM
RVP

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, I had it pre-ordered at GameRush...had credit, got the CE for trade 2, get a pre-order for $30. So, it was a good deal....and if I hate it, I trade it back and get the same as what I paid
I got in on the same deal, Picked it up at midnight last night but haven't gotten a chance to play.
Old 04-04-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I'll pick it up soon, just not right now. We're still unpacking from the move and I don't have my Xbox unpacked. But I used to play the heck out of Doom for the 32X and I have the PS1 versions that are still fun to play.
Old 04-04-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I am picking up my copy today. I got it with their trade in deal of 5 for $50 with a bunch of games i never could get rid of.

I am mainly buying it for the Xbox Live Co-op option. A buddy and I like to play a lot of co-op and this was the next best thing since Halo 2 dropped their Live co-op option (the bastards).
Old 04-04-05, 03:01 PM

Picked it up last night...at gamerush...did the trade in 2 get new for $30 and if it's three games you get an additional $5 per game....ended up trading 3 games(Links2004,nfl2k5,ghostrecon1) and still had $4 credit.
Old 04-04-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
A friend of mine has the PC version. His review was that it's just the original Doom with killer graphics, same basic "story", etc. That doesn't get me very excited.
Same basic story maybe, but i'd say it's not anything like the original game as far as gameplay goes.
Old 04-04-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, I may go pick this up. Played the demo on the PC and while it was repetitive, the original doom games were but I played the hell out of them.
I may pickup the CE too since I now have a Mac and don't have Doom 1 and 2 for the Mac. Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever played the non shareware levels of the original Doom. I know I played Doom 2 all the way through but I don't think I ever played all of the first game.
Old 04-04-05, 05:22 PM

The limited one is only 1 disc right? That what mine was. I also got some "Making of Doom 3" dvd from Best Buy.

UPDATE: It is not a dvd included at Bast Buy. It's a little tiny book in a dvd case

Last edited by Leechboy; 04-04-05 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 05:27 PM
Retired

I'm tempted, but I'm holding off as I have a back log. Playing Zelda: Minish Cap now, then need to go back to Metroid Prime 2 (stuck at spider ball guardian), then plan to start and finish Ratchet and Clank 2.

And on top of that I'll probably try to play Resident Evil 4 and God of War before Doom 3, not to mention the big first party DS games whenever they start trickling out.

So at that rate Doom 3 will probably be a platinum hit by the time I get around to it.
Old 04-04-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool game but I already played it on the PC. I'd like to see how it looks on the XBOX though......

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.